Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

The way the crowd here is basically screaming blasphemy is more than a little amusing.

Well, it's all about promises not kept. In manga an anime all too often an attraction gets established between two female characters, only for the writers to then go "Fooled ya! They don't have teh ghey. What, you think we're perverts or something?" And to drive the point home the girls either get a boyfriend, get separated forever by whatever means, or have a falling out over nothing.

And no, I absolutely don't care one iota what a writer says on Twitter or in an interview. This about what is happening within the story, and within this particular one the writer establishes a truckload of subtext between Koyuki and Konatsu, only to bail out later on. Koyuki's worries about her future would have a lot more weight in the context of her relationship with Konatsu, but the writer practically ejects Konatsu from the the story and then replaces her with some random other character. Why? It could all be down to incompetence, but stuff like this happens so often in manga and anime that I have become quite cynical.

Like I said, it is getting a bit better, but for every series that is serious about attraction between girls we get a hundred that are like this one.

What it simply means is what you miss understood to be subtext wasn't. Apply more rigorous perception checking next time and be aware of your own confirmation bias warping your world view or misunderstanding a fictitious story may be the least of your troubles.

For what it's worth although I was far from certain, I thought it was likely going down the yuri path as well.

Satchmo_Omega
Hedgehog
joined Feb 26, 2018

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." I quite like the story and because of that it saddens me that it will not bear fruit. I will stay and see where it goes.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

I mean, some people here confound me.

"Although it probably can't technically be called a shoujo ai/yuri manga, there's a lot of subtext, so you don't even need to put on your yuri goggles for this one. It's just basically a very cute story about two girls who find solace in their loneliness with each other, and from the beginning, it's been billed as a "girl-ship story", short for girls friendship."

Quoting from the scanlators' webpage, which was linked almost a year ago in this thread, precisely to address the hordes of people who were complaining about the subtext tag back then. I mean, I know that in the meantime the entire "subtext" thing has become something of a joke, but I am still under the impression some here took that Dynasty specific joke and expected the author to be in on it, pulling a full yuri reveal at the end.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some major jumping to conclusions in this thread right now.

I was thinking the same thing this very moment. How many creators across various media have we heard say the equivalent of, "I don't think of this as [familiar genre]--to me it's [airy-fairy restatement of gist of familiar genre]"?

Then the work turns out to be pretty much [familiar genre] with, at best, a bit of a twist.

I think it's a way they keep themselves from just wallowing in genre tropes or getting swamped by audience expectations.

could you gime some examples because i´ve never heard of this specific situation in any kind of media

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing some major jumping to conclusions in this thread right now.

I was thinking the same thing this very moment. How many creators across various media have we heard say the equivalent of, "I don't think of this as [familiar genre]--to me it's [airy-fairy restatement of gist of familiar genre]"?

Then the work turns out to be pretty much [familiar genre] with, at best, a bit of a twist.

I think it's a way they keep themselves from just wallowing in genre tropes or getting swamped by audience expectations.

could you gime some examples because i´ve never heard of this specific situation in any kind of media

Sorry, nothing off the top of my head, but I’ve heard it lots of times from writers, TV producers, and movie directors, most commonly about genres like science fiction or fantasy, but also romance and horror. It’s a pretty common way to set interviewers back on their heels, when they ask some question that assumes that So-and-So’s work is obviously whatever genre, and then get a reply like, “It’s really a family tragedy that just happens to have elves.”

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

SpiritusNox posted:

Judge stories by what happens in the stories, IMO

f the actual text of Nettaigyo stays good then I don't really care if the author says "and then 10 years later they were all abducted by aliens" or whatever

Hagino 10 years later: Koyuki and Konatsu had a very intense sexual relationship

Hagino I never said it wasn't a lizard or that she was white

last edited at Apr 5, 2019 3:15PM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Man, I hated when they cast an iguana in the theatrical adaptation.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Same

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

SpiritusNox posted:

Judge stories by what happens in the stories, IMO

f the actual text of Nettaigyo stays good then I don't really care if the author says "and then 10 years later they were all abducted by aliens" or whatever

Hagino 10 years later: Koyuki and Konatsu had a very intense sexual relationship

Hagino I never said it wasn't a lizard or that she was white

also hagino :yamagishi, home economics club, jewish character

last edited at Apr 6, 2019 3:39AM

joined Mar 12, 2019

Wow I am getting gayer for Koyuki

BeehivesandCherries
joined Mar 27, 2019

Need some more Koyuki x Konatsu love

Img-thing
joined Jan 19, 2016

Kaede is so waifu i really love her

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Umm, when is the update for this series...?

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

End of the month. The magazine comes out around the 25th or so and the scanlation follows a few days later.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

End of the month. The magazine comes out around the 25th or so and the scanlation follows a few days later.

Nice to know, thanks :)

Madeleinedupris
joined Apr 8, 2019

Umm, when is the update for this series...?

Her artwork is very detailed so I’d say it is monthly

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Someone's going to catch de jellies.

20265099_331371470609667_965795103732342855_n
joined May 28, 2017

lol drama incumming :v

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

lol drama incumming :v

I'm cumming! Said the drama covered in jelly.

Screenshot_1644496801
joined May 20, 2018

I have to said this again.
Kaede is BEST GIRL

joined Mar 6, 2019

If this isn't about romance, why does Koyuki make such a big deal out of it? If they are only friends, they should behave like ones.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Sigh I really wanted more from this chapter

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I see best girl usurped the chapter title.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Have we seen Kaede's siblings or Yamagishi before?

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Kaede's siblings were simply mentioned in the previous chapter, never shown so far. Yamagishi has been around since chapter 1, she's the other girl in the home economy club Kaede is always with, although she wasn't called by name until I believe the culture festival, specifically page 21 of chapter 13.

To reply you must either login or sign up.