Forum › I am not a Succubus! discussion

joined Mar 15, 2017

My guess is that "cyclops" was deemed a racist slur, while "mono eye" is PC.

I think it's more just a language difference. Whereas "mono eye" isn't common in English, it has been spread enough in Japanese as a general term for one-eyed monsters, and meanwhile "cyclops" is still a bit more specifically the one-eyed giants.

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

I'd probably like this more if it was drawn better, had any ounce of originality with any of the characters, or if there was any sign that the author had given any thought to their worldbuilding.

Unfortunately it's just making me want to re-read Stray Little Devil.

joined Dec 19, 2016

I'd probably like this more if it was drawn better, had any ounce of originality with any of the characters, or if there was any sign that the author had given any thought to their worldbuilding.

What are you talking about? It's clearly drawn well.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

What are you talking about? It's clearly drawn well.

Not to anyone that's ever taken a life drawing class, or is at least passingly familiar with actual human - particularly female - proportions. Figures are also drawn inconsistently. It's difficult to tell if these are simply errors on the artist's part or intentional stylistic choices to eroticize the characters; I can't agree with them either way.

The paneling is a bit scattershot. At times it works, other times it seems overdone and breaks pacing, a few times I had trouble identifying the flow of the page. However, it's largely serviceable and isn't as big of an issue to me as the anatomy.

Composition and layouts suffer from being too busy at times. The backgrounds are drawn very well - one of the things I actually like - but sometimes overpopulate the panels and draw away from the subjects.

Speaking of the subjects, on mid- and wide-shots they fail to come across as integrated into the background. It feels like the characters and their environment were laid on top of each other without making sure they occupy the same space. Characters just kind of float in front of the background, rather than being placed within it.

It's not horrible work. There's lots of detailing and the effort put into it is evident, but I can't get excited about it.

last edited at Jul 4, 2017 3:52PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The mangaka drew hentai too, didn't he?

joined Oct 15, 2014

Definately going in my fav list!!!

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Uninspired choice of monster girls, so I expect the plot to be equally uninspired. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Might be vaguely amusing to having a human pretend to be a succubus, or thinking she's pretending when she actually is one. Most ironic would be if acting like a succubus turned her into an actual succubus over time, but I'm not sure this manga would try anything this "complex". But I don't see how either of those cases will do more than create a bit of fanservice each chapter ... and then what?

joined Jun 30, 2015

The mangaka drew hentai too, didn't he?

Yup, mostly vanilla oneshots. Lots and lots of them.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Symphogeah posted:

Welp I kinda hate lame liars, I wish she would have just said the truth.

You might want to consider context though. It's kinda hard to blame her since she apparently had no idea what the nature of the school was and came here specifically to try and fit in. Even more so after the bit where the others were talking about how being around humans previously was stifling.

If it were me, I still would've said I was human because lying might bite her in the butt someday also on this page https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/i_am_not_a_succubus_ch01#28 someone says "No way... she's a human right?" so one was already expecting her to be human and they've even said they've been going to school with humans before, so they felt like the odd ones out before so I think she would've been fine
Idk but, if I was her thinking about those reasons, would've lightened up the load of embarrassment a little

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Uninspired choice of monster girls, so I expect the plot to be equally uninspired. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Might be vaguely amusing to having a human pretend to be a succubus, or thinking she's pretending when she actually is one. Most ironic would be if acting like a succubus turned her into an actual succubus over time, but I'm not sure this manga would try anything this "complex". But I don't see how either of those cases will do more than create a bit of fanservice each chapter ... and then what?

It's obvious this manga is all about fanservice. And nothing much else.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

As Nya says, people should just take this manga for what it is; a fun, shameless fanservice yuri manga. x)

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Fanservice is boring if it's just pictures meaninglessly strung together. The one this shamelessly copies at least attempts some humor, tropish romance and the odd subplot of varying ingenuity. Between all the panty-shots, crashing into bathrooms, visiting hot springs, going to the beach and so on.

Well, it's only chapter 1.

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

I get it, the work exists primarily so the reader can leer at monster girls.

I am more than okay with that.

But if I'm going to leer at monster girls, they should be very well-drawn. If this series as a whole leans on fanservice as hard as it does in its first chapter, they'll need to be very well-drawn. Because otherwise it doesn't have anything going for it at all.

last edited at Jul 5, 2017 6:09PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I got...

<flips through folded up money, counting bills>

...five bucks says she turns out to really be a succubus.
And she's sick all the time because she's low on life energi?

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Guys calm your titties l and proceed on to another one if you dont like this one

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I like the girls and all but when she said "Yes, I am a succubus" I almost wanted to drop it... The Doctor notices this right? you can't lie to her. I just really hate plots based on lies/misunderstandings. What's she's going to do when the real one shows up?

But I will use my golden rule for these cases, or my baseball rule of 3 strikes! I'll read 3 chapters and if I can't find 2 more flaws (Strikes) then it's safe to continue.

Credit page is like an eroge XP

That's the spirit!

Kuro_Panther
joined Jul 21, 2016

This was really fun~

joined Aug 12, 2013

What's with all the hate for this series? I thoroughly enjoyed the first chapter. Everything seemed sincere. Fanservice? The first chapter in the majority of manga are filled with fanservice and various tropes. It's to lure readers in. Plus, I don't see this as fanservice. I see it as a way to to reinforce in the minds of the other characters that the MC really is a succubus. It would be naive of them if they just went along with the idea that she was a succubus just because she said she was a succubus (and has large boobs).

The proportions and art style is fine. Also, the characters are unoriginal? The author had to pick species that the reader would be somewhat familiar with. I mean s/he could have gone with invunche, catoblepas, tokoloshe, or blemmyes, but that would've been weird. Or, even better, they could've gone with vampires, werewolves...can't think of any other stereotypical fellas right now. Zombies? Let's be honest: when was the last time you saw a Sheep-chan or a Plant-chan?

If y'all don't like this manga, don't read it. Monster girl yuri is far and few between, so just be greatful that this thing seems at least somewhat fleshed out. Furthermore, MC has big boobs so the other characters will think that she's the succubus that those rumours are about.

All the trash that's being said about this series can be applied to Virgins' Empire and many other series. The art style of Virgins' Empire is quite hideous in my opinion. However, I never said anything about it until now because I know a lot of people like that series, and I don't want to rain on their parade.

last edited at Jul 7, 2017 12:28PM

Blackness
joined Jul 7, 2017

Teddscau Pffft! Don't really get mad, boy/sis. You do know that everything has their own Likes & Dislikes, right? You will reach out of nowhere if you keep doing that. Welp, there's some people that probably hear you, though. So, don't really into it.

joined Jul 26, 2016

For some reason I kinda like the osananajimi trio, particularly the casual bickering between the centaur and the snake girl.
and definitely not because I keep wondering how they'd have sex ( ´ 3 `)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

For some reason I kinda like the osananajimi trio, particularly the casual bickering between the centaur and the snake girl.

What's the big mystery?

They both have hands, don't they?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

What's the big mystery?

They both have hands, don't they?

Reference (NSFW warning!).

joined Jul 26, 2016

O/////O

...some lines should not be crossed.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It might be difficult for them to form a babby tho... :/

Es1-3muwmamw-fl
joined Dec 20, 2014

This is giving me nostalgia about Rosario + Vampire and that shit was my guilty pleasure. I've always wanted so see a yuri filled fanservice harem manga and plus points it's monster girls? Lemme in.

To reply you must either login or sign up.