Forum › Nutmeg discussion

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ Well, on page 12 the girl says 'lets get boyfriends before the summer break starts' - that to me makes it sound like the summer break is pretty close - though that could be a week or 2 or like 5-6 week.

As for megu having a meaning all I found was-

Archaically, "megu" is a verb meaning "to break."
And it is possible older people use "megu" instead of "megeru," which means "to lose courage."

Or, it's the stem of the verb "meguru" 巡る (the kanji part is "megu"), which means "to move around" or "to surround."

Not sure if any of those would make much sense with summer.

p.s many thanks for translating this :)

last edited at Jun 8, 2017 11:15AM

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Yaaaaaaaa :D Otsu Hiyori :3 Man after such a long day this is bliss :)

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

elevown posted:

^ Well, on page 12 the girl says 'lets get boyfriends before the summer break starts' - that to me makes it sound like the summer break is pretty close - though that could be a week or 2 or like 5-6 week.

Yes I meant we don't know if they meant it will be in 1, 2 or 3 months so it is hard to tell how important summer really is. Story might even finish before it starts, so it is hard to judge how important it is for the story.

elevown posted:

And it is possible older people use "megu" instead of "megeru," which means "to lose courage."

"Loosing courage at summer" they all feels pretty far fetched. I'm more convinced it is just meant to mean nutmeg and might be the reason to name 1 character Natsume.

p.s many thanks for translating this :)

You are welcome ;3

joined Feb 18, 2015

Well, one chapter in and I really like this! I find it interesting that the two characters deal with their social issues in such different ways. One by being aloof, the other be being accommodating, yet distant. It seemed clear that Yuuri was interested in Natsume all along, if nothing else because she seemed similar in her desire to be alone. (I'm still not entirely clear on how becoming a "yes woman" fits with wanting to be by oneself... I guess it is not wanting to stand out as odd and standoffish, like Natsume does, and going to the other extreme? One wonders if the people around her perceive the lack of sincerity?)

I am really looking forward to reading more of this!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

ieeheh posted:

I love all her frank/blunt characters lol

It was dangerous, any other person could freak out, spread bad rumors and ruin your life in school.

last edited at Jun 8, 2017 12:57PM

joined Oct 15, 2014

It's been a long time since I've last read Otsu Hiyori manga. So nostalgic~ Looks like I'm gonna be up all night reading all of Hiyori's manga!

Kitsune Inari
joined Jul 20, 2011

I've seen Yuri as a name before - (seems to be gender neutral?)

Yuri 百合 and Yuri 유리 (Japanese and Korean respectively) are female names, and Yuri Юрий (Slavic, e.g. Russian) is a male name.

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

Hmmmmmm.....

Hmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmm......

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Kitsune Inari posted:

Yuri 百合

That is not the only possible spelling of name yuri. It's so annoying everyone assumes it is written using kanji for lily and thinks that is the default meaning.

last edited at Jun 8, 2017 2:59PM

Img_1317
joined Jan 19, 2015

fuck yeah an Otsu Hiyori series

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

zensunni posted:

(I'm still not entirely clear on how becoming a "yes woman" fits with wanting to be by oneself... I guess it is not wanting to stand out as odd and standoffish, like Natsume does, and going to the other extreme? One wonders if the people around her perceive the lack of sincerity?)

It wasn't really clear, but implication is that she in general prefers to be alone, but for some reason felt discomfort when being by herself in classroom full of people, which forced her to interact with people just to endure school time, and somehow along the line she ended up doing favors for everyone, because she tried to be too nice.

last edited at Jun 8, 2017 3:11PM

joined Mar 15, 2017

The kanji for the protagonist's name is 遊里. Normal enough characters for a name, but as a noun it means a play-district in the sense of an area for brothels.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Reejun posted:

The kanji for the protagonist's name is 遊里. Normal enough characters for a name, but as a noun it means a play-district in the sense of an area for brothels.

Oh dang, what a fail. I totally forgot they gave kanji for her name, because I was working mostly on english script for past 3 weeks and sentences I was rechecking didn't use her name.

And yes, the meaning of her name is "red light district​", forgot about that funny fact xD

last edited at Jun 8, 2017 3:56PM

joined Feb 18, 2015

ieeheh posted:

I love all her frank/blunt characters lol

It was dangerous, any other person could freak out, spread bad rumors and ruin your life in school.

If I had to guess, Natsumi is a fairly good judge of character and had been observing Yuuri fairly closely despite appearing aloof all this time, so she probably figured out that Yuuri isn't actually close to any of the other girls and wasn't one to spread rumors... Just a guess...

Reejun posted:

Oh dang, what a fail. I totally forgot they gave kanji for her name, because I was working mostly on english script for past 3 weeks and sentences I was rechecking didn't use her name.

And yes, the meaning of her name is "red light district​", forgot about that funny fact xD

Well... that is a very, very interesting... (It also, apparently, means "Irrigation", but that is a much less interesting translation...)

So, is this suggesting something about her character, in terms of her inability to say no to requests?

joined Feb 23, 2016

:> interesting~

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Kitsune Inari posted:

Yuri 百合

That is not the only possible spelling of name yuri. It's so annoying everyone assumes it is written using kanji for lily and thinks that is the default meaning.

Some possible spellings of yuri: ゆ里, ユ里, 郁里, 弓里, 結李, 結理, 結璃, 結里, 結麗, 結莉, 幸理, 雪鈴, 紬里, 酉梨, 妃里, 百合, 百合子, 百利. And that's just the first page of my reference; there are a great many more.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

^ That was useful - thanks :) I was wondering why it might be called nutmeg. Does nutmeg only have those properties when raw or in larger amounts? I've had it many times in various cakes etc and never noticed an effect?

William S. Burroughs, in Naked Lunch actually explains how to get stoned off nutmeg.

Why does this leave me unsurprised?
William S. Burroughs was one freaky messed up dude.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Lol - would anyone seriously give their daughter a name that meant red light district? Wouldn't everyone take the piss, or for Japanese do other readings kinda not matter?

But I've seen various occasions when someone says their name and are then asked the kanji - and then might say like - the so and so kanji from flower, and the kanji from something else for blessed or whatever - and the person might say - 'That's an auspicious name'.

So this poor girl has to explain her kanji reading means red light district? Is that where her parents thought she'd end up working or something lol?

last edited at Jun 8, 2017 8:39PM

pineapple juice
Img-thing
joined Sep 5, 2015

ᴵ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᶰᵃᵐᵉ ᴺᵘᵗᵐᵉᵍ, ᴵ'ᵐ ᵍᵒᶰᶰᵃ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵐʸ ᶰᵃᵐᵉ ᶫᵉᵍᵃᶫᶫʸ ᶜʰᵃᶰᵍᵉᵈ ᵗᵒ ᴺᵘᵗᵐᵉᵍ ˢᵒ ʷʰᵉᶰ ᵖᵉᵒᵖᶫᵉ ᵃʳᵉ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ, ''ᵒʰ ʰᵉʸ ᴺᵘᵗᵐᵉᵍ ʷʰᵃᵗˢ ᵘᵖ" ᴵ ᶜᵃᶰ ᵇᵉ ᵃᶫᶫ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᶠᵘᶜᵏ ʸᵒᵘ⋅

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

You could write a 2 school girls school setting romance, that was far more original than a manga with say, a female jockey x woman deep sea diver who are on the run from Belgian secret police for stealing the worlds greatest chocolate recipe.

Would the fact that nothing close to that exists make it good? or the characters interesting with good dialogue? Nope.

Originality is not the same as quality, but I get your point.
I'd totally read 'Horse Rider and Diver Lady Vs. The Belgian Chocolate Conspiracy' though. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

Tiny%20melon
joined Oct 17, 2014

Ahh I so feel Natsume-san's reasoning about being alone. Its one thing to like having some alone time, but having alone time in class...that uncomfortable feeling of possible isolation and ostracism just can't be shaken off! People are probably gonna look at you funny too when you're daydreaming rather than talking like a normie to a bunch of friends in class.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ You mean Yuuri - the blonde girl is the one who hates being alone in class. Natsume is the dark haired girl who IS alone in class - and seems 'relatively' to not mind.

But I agree with your point. Being fine by yourself is different to being alone in a big group - it feels like you are being shunned even if nobody is actively excluding you - or like you don't exist to anyone.

last edited at Jun 9, 2017 4:25AM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

Just going off the art and the mixer reference I thought this could've been from 10-15 years ago. But it's actually from a recent issue of Galette, huh?

I'm not complaining though. It's nice to see more Otsu Hiyori.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Goddess is back, time to worship again

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Every time a new Otsu Hiyori work is uploaded, I somehow end up re-reading Maple Love...

Oh and this new one looks promising as well!

To reply you must either login or sign up.