Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Who is this woman in the top right panel? She is clearly older and Kaoru seems younger than her present self. It could be Kaoru's mom or whoever else, but it also could be Uta's mother. Now, what if Kaoru had some kind of unfaithful relationship with Uta's mum? Probably thanks to the mum initiative since Kaoru was probably in love with Reiichi.

That's not entirely farfetched, but not entirely solid, either (again, until we get more info). My previous post missed the point that not only does Kaoru feel guilty about the divorce, when Reiicchi says it wasn't her fault Kaoru says that in any case she hurt Uta specifically.

So how does Reiichi’s childhood friend/girlfriend contribute to the breakup of the marriage in such a way that Reiichi knows about it, doesn't think she's really to blame, but doesn't treat her feelings of guilt as completely absurd?

Maybe the father coming on to Kaoru was the catalyst for Reiicchi "taking responsibility"? At this point I feel like I'm just writing fanfic, so I dunno.

last edited at Nov 16, 2017 8:49AM

joined Oct 17, 2015

Wanting Reiichi to be an okay dude might make sense if we had known him better already at this point in the story and he played a more active role, but so far we've seen him do almost nothing, and don't know much about his personality, so there's no reason to feel any sort of attachment to Reiichi at this point in time. If you wanted a story involving an unrequited love and an okay guy involved in the story, I can only say, this wasn't even such a story from the start since the guy has not been involved in the story other than to just stand in as a figure. Reiichi has not nearly been fleshed out enough as a character for it to make sense to want him to turn out one way or the other.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Reiichi has not nearly been fleshed out enough as a character for it to make sense to want him to turn out one way or the other.

When people don't do much, you can only assume how they behave/think. Since there was not much indicating that he could be a jerk (in design or behaviour), I think people (me included) went to assume the best of him; if anything, he seemed like a chill dude even if a bit apathetic other thought he was nice but I didn't think so.

Perhaps it had to do with people hoping to have male character as a decent human being in yuri (which, funnily enough, happens in Netsuzou trap :3), or perhaps it's just difficult to prevent ourselves from judging a character even on a low material.

last edited at Nov 16, 2017 8:25AM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Perhaps it had to do with people hoping to have male character as decent human being in yuri (which, funnily enough, happens in Netsuzou trap :3), or perhaps it's just difficult to prevent ourselves from judging a character even on a low material.

Personally, it was the hope that the author wouldn't hit us with the most obvious outcome in this type of story. Upon reading the basic setup for this series, my first thought was "I bet the husband cheats on his wife and leaves her, thus allowing the two female leads to get together free from the guilt of cheating or destroying a marriage." I've read that story several times already (for example, here), and while it can be a fun story, I would have preferred to read something new, and perhaps less predictable.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The title is a big giveaway, I didn't though this unrequited love would affect all the characters.
I guess Kuroe got it easier and plain imo so I guess no one gets what they want at the start

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m not sure that “husband cheats, yuri ensues” is all that much more trite and predictable than “apparent cheating has innocent explanation”—(Reiichi’s business trip ended early, he wanted to surprise his wife so didn’t tell her, then he ran into Riyako by chance at the station, etc.).

I’d prefer to see the plot driven more by what Uta does than by chance or by the decisions/actions of her brother and sister-in-law, but since Uta seems to avoid actually doing anything at all costs, maybe that’s not this story.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I’m not sure that “husband cheats, yuri ensues” is all that much more trite and predictable than “apparent cheating has innocent explanation”—(Reiichi’s business trip ended early, he wanted to surprise his wife so didn’t tell her, then he ran into Riyako by chance at the station, etc.).

I agree. Now that this development occurred, it'd be even trashier for the author to say it was all a misunderstanding. There'd have been no point to this incredible coincidence except for a pointless cliffhanger (and maybe an excuse for Kaoru to go crazy). So either way it goes, this development has been a big disappointment, and leads to the story feeling more and more that it is driven by events rather than characters and their decisions. Especially Uta, who is doing nothing.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Apparently, the title on the official book cover is "Secret crush on my sister" - which would be less ominous than the current translated title.

Judging by the alternate title given on the website, the general sense seems to be something about Uta's feelings not able to reach Kaoru. If you think about it, the term secret also implies something along those lines but looks a bit more hopeful than the other two. I'm curious to have one of the translator's input on the translation (if you have the time <3).

Page 1 of this thread, it has already been brought up.

Thanks!

Especially Uta, who is doing nothing.

She kissed Kaoru! Well, I wonder if it was since it's kind of hidden... Well, she is doing nothing to help her feelings to reach Kaoru, but she is trying to forget or let them die, doesn't she? So there is the need to have external event helping her, if the character was created passive and with a tendency to give up easily, perhaps.

last edited at Nov 16, 2017 10:21AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Apparently, the title on the official book cover is "Secret crush on my sister" - which would be less ominous than the current translated title.

Judging by the alternate title given on the website, the general sense seems to be something about Uta's feelings not able to reach Kaoru. If you think about it, the term secret also implies something along those lines but looks a bit more hopeful than the other two. I'm curious to have one of the translator's input on the translation (if you have the time <3).

Page 1 of this thread, it has already been brought up.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Yeah, I wouldn't read too much into the title. I think a more word-for-word translation would be "Though the Thread Shall Not Reach" (talking about the metaphorical thread of love). But even that doesn't really imply anything about the plot. It just sort of describes the predicament Uta is in - even though her love is proscribed, she's still experiencing the emotion.

last edited at Nov 16, 2017 10:34AM

joined Oct 18, 2014

I hope they produce an anime production/adaption based on this anime and or a LIVE action!

FIGHTING!
GOOOOOOOOOO~ TMNR!!!!

last edited at Nov 17, 2017 2:25AM

joined Jun 23, 2017

I don't know if it's popular enough? When I saw all the volumes on tMnR's twitter, I want to buy some but I don't know if she's selling enough to be transposed in anime; or are there more conditions?

Also, noob question, is it serialised or is it considered as a doujin?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's published in Yuri Hime, a magazine.... so it's serialized by definition.

Also, I really doubt there will be an anime of this one. The target demographic is really niche in Japan. They did it for NTR and Citrus because there's some fap material for the Japanese otakus. So, it will sell a bit.

This? Not a chance.

joined Jan 28, 2017

I really hope he's cheating tbh

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

upon re-reading I continue to realize how frustrating the concept of cheating is. It just seems completely out of nowhere. I know there were subtle drops that certainly could imply cheating but Reiichi just genuinely seems to love and care for his sister and wife, and there's such a strong emphasis early on of them being a family unit it's just upsetting that he would ruin what he has. I really was fine with a bittersweet ending. Sigh. Years of reading manga has made me so jaded to familiar setups that I wish I wasn't upset by the sudden nature of the potential cheating.

And if it's a misunderstanding then honestly, that might be even worse with Kaoru having gotten hurt so it's a no win situation.

I'll be fine if there's somehow a happy yuri ending in all of this but I'll still always feel like it was a little bit too forced unless there's a really good explanation in all this.

Bae
joined Jun 11, 2017

I don't know if it's popular enough? When I saw all the volumes on tMnR's twitter, I want to buy some but I don't know if she's selling enough to be transposed in anime; or are there more conditions?

Also, noob question, is it serialised or is it considered as a doujin?

She is indeed serialized in the Yurihime.
About the "popular enough", there was a sort of poll about Yuri manga popularity in Japan (made by a yuri website), and Tatoe is already pretty popular in Japan (I think it was already ranked 13, when NTR was only ranked 20). For a pretty new title (knowing that this month, it's the first year publication for marriage), it's already really really nice.

tMnR is also pretty popular already because she is EliUmi goddess, and she draws doujinshis every comiket for quite some times now. About her manga, even Nakatani Nio recommanded it in an interview, so...

So about the popularity, yes, this manga is already a hit. Is it worth buying it? Hell yes.
After, there are probably more conditions to be transposed into anime unfortunatly. Citrus and NTR were transposed because you had quite some material in it that could potentially please people. I think it's possible, but they need to see some potential in it for anime adaptation. Depend if the drama part can please a lot of people or nah.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

They adapted the first part of Sasameki Koto and it was a bust. So they never adapted the rest.

I think it's pretty similar, except that in Sasameki Koto, there was more comedy.

This one thrives on drama, so unless it takes an unexpected turn that could appeal to a larger audience, no company will be willing to take the risk.

joined Jun 23, 2017

I know there were subtle drops that certainly could imply cheating but Reiichi just genuinely seems to love and care for his sister and wife, and there's such a strong emphasis early on of them being a family unit it's just upsetting that he would ruin what he has.

Well, you can love several people, it's not unheard of. Also, the one you love are probably the one you'd end up hurting the most, etc. About the family bit, that's Kaoru's hope to see them function as a family with the desire to see Uta opening up after what has happened with her parents. The bro doesn't seem to do a lot about that, he seems rather apathetic during most of the story.

Perhaps he likes their situation but yearns for something more, there is a reason he rejected Kaoru seven (or eight?) times, and perhaps this came back. Also, there is also the possibility he wasn't the one to initiate the affair, he just go dragged into his old story and remembered the good times. Some serial killer were probably perfect gentleman, I don't have a problem with a chill dude cheating as well.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

"Nyamtendo"
"Somy"

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

Mostly I'm torn.
Then... secretly... I want Reichi to have been cheating and for Kaoru and Uta to get together (but not right away. Need to properly divorce, live on their own, and then can remarry one another.)

Perfect_human
joined Jan 16, 2017

KIND OF sadistic to post this special chapter after the shit that happened! She's hospitalized now, come on!

200069l%20(1)%20(1)
joined Dec 25, 2015

=.= Somehow I want to read a short on that age reversal page on the special. Uta looks so refined and Kaoru looks cute! Ahhh!

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

tMnR what are you doing....stooooop. Man I knew the guy wasn't as interested in Kaoru but cheating?! Didn't expect that. Damn Kuro was foreshadowing this in chapter 8. I guess now the endgame will likely be Kaoru Uta.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

Nya-chan said:

OR, he's a genuinely good guy that married Kaoru because he knew that she and his sister needed each other and had a special relationship and if he didn't marry her, they would eventually drift apart.

So, if at first he turned down Kaoru several times, because he didn't particularly like her, he changed his mind when he noticed how the relationship between Kaoru and his sister was evolving. It's been hinted that he actually knows something.

So, all this time, he was preparing for the future and by playing the (cheating) bad guy, he planned to fade in the background and unite Kaoru and Uta.

Who knows. I've read more complicated setups.

This is the first scenario I thought of. People poking holes in it is sound, but I am curious what factor led to both of us thinking this, and others not even considering it a possibility? Are we both women? Are we both from religious backgrounds, or just really idealistic about wanting humanity to be altruistic? Hmm...

Maybe between this and others thinking it's a "he's cheating and that's just an easy yuri plot device cop out," the author is faking us all and has something more brilliant, outside the box in mind. Likelihood of that is slim, but that'd be awesome, so I wanna feel that way until we learn the truth heh.

last edited at Nov 24, 2017 8:19AM

joined Dec 19, 2016
  1. Unknown to Uta, she was Kaoru's security and comfort. A panel in this latest chapter showed a high school Kaoru eating alone with a picture across. That is a classic sign of depression. In chap 1, a panel showed the past on how happy both were while Reiichi was looking and a similar incident happened when both were going home after the job interview. The point is: Uta is to young to know what romantic love is, Kaoru was old enough to know it couldn't be and Reiichi to know that he has no place between these two.

Even so, Kaoru depending on Uta might not be of romantic feelings considering how long she pursued Reiichi. Frankly, if he did cheat, I'd rather see Kaoru move on then end up with Uta.

To reply you must either login or sign up.