Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

joined Sep 23, 2017

I'm actually enjoying this a lot. Screw you negative people. You know what you were getting into and still you complained when you got what was coming.

If I'm at all disappointed it's because I had the tiniest bit of faith in the author which I now realize was sadly misplaced. Though I guess I should've known earlier after all the recent bullshit with those two side characters.

I'm curious what you mean by "recent bullshit". Could you clarify what about it you felt was "bullshit" ?
I thought that it was an interesting depiction of what seemed like an aromantic girl (Kurou), and a demonstration that love is not limited to romance and relationships are better when defined by those forming them, rather than when abiding by societal convention.

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

I'm actually enjoying this a lot. Screw you negative people. You know what you were getting into and still you complained when you got what was coming.

If I'm at all disappointed it's because I had the tiniest bit of faith in the author which I now realize was sadly misplaced. Though I guess I should've known earlier after all the recent bullshit with those two side characters.

I'm curious what you mean by "recent bullshit". Could you clarify what about it you felt was "bullshit" ?
I thought that it was an interesting depiction of what seemed like an aromantic girl (Kurou), and a demonstration that love is not limited to romance and relationships are better when defined by those forming them, rather than when abiding by societal convention.

I'm glad you brought up Kuro being possibly aromantic. I reread this just now and I definitely considered that Kuro might be somewhere on the Ace spectrum.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

I'm REALLY up for this whole "Kuro is Aro/Ace" thing we got going on.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I really didnt like the end of the chapter. It pretty much ruined what i was reading this story for. I wanted to read a story about the MC learning and growing up from a truly unrequited love where the love interest is already in a perfectly fine relationship.

It was kinda nice to see a dude that was overall an okay guy. I read the detatchment as stress from Japanese work culture which is something many couples go through so it felt more realistic to deal with.

I really didnt want them to go the (potential) cheating route as an excuse for Uta and Karou to get together. I'm just tired of cheating as a plot device in general. Can't we just have angst without cheating?!

I'm hoping it is just a misunderstanding, but it's still a shitty plot device that I'm disappointed to see from this author. Really, tripping over stairs from shock of catching your partner potentially cheating? Give me a break.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I really didnt like the end of the chapter. It pretty much ruined what i was reading this story for. I wanted to read a story about the MC learning and growing up from a truly unrequited love where the love interest is already in a perfectly fine relationship.

It was kinda nice to see a dude that was overall an okay guy. I read the detatchment as stress from Japanese work culture which is something many couples go through so it felt more realistic to deal with.

I really didnt want them to go the (potential) cheating route as an excuse for Uta and Karou to get together. I'm just tired of cheating as a plot device in general. Can't we just have angst without cheating?!

I'm hoping it is just a misunderstanding, but it's still a shitty plot device that I'm disappointed to see from this author. Really, tripping over stairs from shock of catching your partner potentially cheating? Give me a break.

Yeah as a development, this really sucks. Its such an easy way out and I was really hoping to see the MC having to grow as a person when she knows that she won't be able to be with her unrequited love because life is complicated and yada yada yada

I also read the detachment as a guy who was working a lot to help provide for his family, it must be difficult to provide for the 3 of them, but now they've thrown in another woman, him lying to karou, its making him look shit which is so disappointing. he seemed like a genuine guy but damn we cant have decent guys in yuri

and now shes fallen down the stairs and will need to be looked after by uta im guessing siiiighhhhh

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

OR, he's a genuinely good guy that married Kaoru because he knew that she and his sister needed each other and had a special relationship and if he didn't marry her, they would eventually drift apart.

So, if at first he turned down Kaoru several times, because he didn't particularly like her, he changed his mind when he noticed how the relationship between Kaoru and his sister was evolving. It's been hinted that he actually knows something.

So, all this time, he was preparing for the future and by playing the (cheating) bad guy, he planned to fade in the background and unite Kaoru and Uta.

Who knows. I've read more complicated setups.

joined Sep 25, 2015

OR, he's a genuinely good guy that married Kaoru because he knew that she and his sister needed each other and had a special relationship and if he didn't marry her, they would eventually drift apart.

So, if at first he turned down Kaoru several times, because he didn't particularly like her, he changed his mind when he noticed how the relationship between Kaoru and his sister was evolving. It's been hinted that he actually knows something.

So, all this time, he was preparing for the future and by playing the (cheating) bad guy, he planned to fade in the background and unite Kaoru and Uta.

"I've always known my sister is in love with this girl who's obsessed with me for a long, long time."
"But first, I should marry her, fuck her countless of times, loosen her asshole and have her vagina smell like my cum for the rest of her life before I'll give her to my sister instead of being a rational human being and have them talk about their feelings."
"Now I'm gonna fuck her friend and get caught so my sister will have to heal her broken heart and they'll get closer. Which will also make both girls hate my guts! I'm so fucking kashikoi!"
Brother of the decade right there.

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

"I've always known my sister is in love with this girl who's obsessed with me for a long, long time."
"But first, I should marry her, fuck her countless of times, loosen her asshole and have her vagina smell like my cum for the rest of her life before I'll give her to my sister instead of being a rational human being and have them talk about their feelings."
"Now I'm gonna fuck her friend and get caught so my sister will have to heal her broken heart and they'll get closer. Which will also make both girls hate my guts! I'm so fucking kashikoi!"
Brother of the decade right there.

Excuse me while I pick my insides from laughing. Damn man, that was hilarious

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think you're confusing this manga with one of the hentai doujins you're reading too much.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Either way, that scenario is a bit of a stretch. He married Kaoru because he realized his sister loved her, and Kaoru needed her too? This guy must have the compassion and intuition of a saint.

Though I guess I wouldn't put it past the author to throw some shit like that at us, at this point.

last edited at Nov 15, 2017 7:30AM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Either way, that scenario is a bit of a stretch. He married Kaoru because he realized his sister loved her, and Kaoru needed her too? This guy must have the compassion and intuition of a saint.

Honestly the chance of it working exactly this way is so low, I'm questioning how in any way it would be a good idea. Either just have serious talk with them or don't marry the girl your sister loves hoping it will magically bring them together somehow. And if he tried to cover for them, so nobody will give them shit, how about simply suggesting to marry Kaoru but let them do their thing, while he does his? Seriously, no matter what, just doing it silently and hoping the girls will figure out his actual intentions and become a couple, is such uncertain plan, there is no way it could ever work without some crazy luck. Unless he has some weird need of sacrificing himself for others without taking for it any credit and he doesn't want them to ever figure his real intentions out and is fully prepared to hurt and be hated by either or both of them. Again, it is simply way too convoluted and, like in most manga, it is something much easier solved by talking than trying to do something for others without actually asking if they want it in the first place.

The more likely explanation is simple "the wheel of drama must spin on" in order for series to keep going and audience to be interested in reading it.

last edited at Nov 15, 2017 7:48AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The thing is... the brother wasn't presented from the beginning as dis-likable.

He was presented as a normal brother (or, even, a doting brother), a normal husband (as per Japanese standard : ie never home, working all the time and somewhat neglectful of his wife). And there even was a couple moments where he seemed to catch something in the air between Kaoru and Uta, or even have something to say about it but refrained to do so. So, he doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would cheat on his wife just because he can't keep it in his pants.

But I can be mistaken. But still, I wonder what is the meaning behind the brother's behavior. Because I don't think he wants to be hated by his sister and if he thinks they are close, cheating on Kaoru was the last thing to do. Unless he's a selfish prick, but again, it doesn't fit the image he was given in the beginning.

So I think the "cheating" is either a misunderstanding or there's a deeper explanation than "I got bored of the clingy Kaoru so I went for the executive independent woman's ass".

joined Mar 15, 2017

He was presented as a normal brother (or, even, a doting brother), a normal husband (as per Japanese standard : ie never home, working all the time and somewhat neglectful of his wife).

No, he was presented as a man who forgot his first wedding anniversary.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Lol, and that contradicts the statement you were replying to in what way, exactly?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

So I think the "cheating" is either a misunderstanding

I'm pretty sure it will turn out to be stupid misunderstanding, but this way before it will be cleared, we will get few chapters of, sweet, sweet drama and people waiting eagerly to see where it will go.

last edited at Nov 15, 2017 8:05AM

joined Mar 15, 2017

Lol, and that contradicts the statement you were replying to in what way, exactly?

It's not normal by Japanese standards. It's the first major thing he does in the manga so from the beginning it was establishing he wasn't very committed to the marriage.

last edited at Nov 15, 2017 8:19AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's not normal by Japanese standards. It's the first major thing he does in the manga so from the beginning it was establishing he wasn't very committed to the marriage.

Forgetting the wedding anniversary is something men all over the world do. It's the staple of the complaints of wives everywhere.

So, in that aspect, he's pretty normal, even by Japanese standard. Do you really think that average Japanese husbands never forger anniversaries?

But maybe it's an indicator that he was never really that committed to Kaoru. But that was confirmed by the mention that he turned her down several times.

last edited at Nov 15, 2017 8:37AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

It is covered under "neglectful of his wife". Besides, I glossed over it, to be honest, because I am really bad with dates, any dates, in real life, so whenever I come across something like this, I like to give the character the benefit of the doubt.

joined Mar 15, 2017

It's the first anniversary and it's the first thing the character does in the manga. Cheating would fit his image.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Really, tripping over stairs from shock of catching your partner potentially cheating? Give me a break.

I guess stuff isn't allowed to happen in a story any more... ;D

I'm a bit confused about your use of the word "shock". I mean, she was just distracted and slipped because of the rain, it's not like she fainted from shock.

There are also numerous hints of Kaoru being really attached to Uta, but perhaps she's just a needy girl who needs to have affection all the time. That said, I hope it's cheating but with a good reasons. I don't see what a misunderstanding would add to the story, but perhaps the author will prove me wrong.

I also remember, perhaps wrongly, a post in there saying the author said something along "it wouldn't be a yuri story if nothing happened" - so it was probably programmed to happen, the question is how. But perhaps, once again, the author will prove me wrong and go in a different direction, who knows.

last edited at Nov 15, 2017 9:55AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's the first anniversary and it's the first thing the character does in the manga. Cheating would fit his image.

"Men forgetting the first wedding anniversary must be immediately suspected of being scumbag cheaters".

Judge, jury, and executioner.

joined Nov 5, 2017

The girl he was seen with was his ex. On his birthday. While he said he would be away more days. I'd rather have cheating than misunderstanding because the latter will feel too cheap, with Kaoru having an accident for nothing. All this "marrying her, be a cheater so Kaoru and Uta will end up together" doesn't make sense at all. If he's really a cheater, it's clear he's doing it because he likes that woman, who is his ex. Marrying someone he doesn't love because his sister needs Kaoru and out of pity for the latter who chased him all her life is understandable but way too risky. It's pretty obvious Uta will hate him when she finds out he was cheating because Uta will see Kaoru really hurt. Kaoru will be too heartbroken too. So he was willing to destroy his relationships with two important people to him and break their hearts in order to make them fall in love and be together? Talk about nonsense. The chances of Uta and Kaoru ending together is still pretty low, we know as readers it is possible because we're reading a yuri manga, but would Reichi really expect that? Kaoru seems pretty in love with him. All this elaborated plan would crash on many ways, if that's really the author's route it will feel contrived as fuck. Like I say, cheating is also a bad outcome but it's the best at this point.
But even cheating feels wrong and contrived, he is distant but he seemed to love her, he worried about not making her feel lonely and cared about her when she looked sick. But there are plenty of men like this in rl who act like this and still cheat, so in that sense I can understand (0w0>

joined Mar 15, 2017

"Men forgetting the first wedding anniversary must be immediately suspected of being scumbag cheaters".

Judge, jury, and executioner.

What's the point in posting a dumb straw man?

It's a story constructed a particular way. From the beginning it has been portraying him as someone who is relatively cold on the relationship despite being a newlywed and doing nothing substantial to give him an image as committed.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's really hard to get a solid read on the marriage of Reiichi and Kaoru because there's that big past secret that we know very little about. We do know:

Uta had "serious hardships" and "family issues" in the past which significantly affected her personality.
Kaoru feels partly responsible for the divorce of Uta and Reiichi's parents.

We also know that Reiichi is "not reliable," and Kaoru likes him, or at least is attached to him, more than he is to her.

(As a side note, we have had some slight hints that Kaoru might be pregnant.)

So speculation on where the story is going from here is seriously hindered for the lack of important facts not (yet) in evidence.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

All right, another stupid theory :

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch06#5

Who is this woman in the top right panel? She is clearly older and Kaoru seems younger than her present self. It could be Kaoru's mom or whoever else, but it also could be Uta's mother. Now, what if Kaoru had some kind of unfaithful relationship with Uta's mum? Probably thanks to the mum initiative since Kaoru was probably in love with Reiichi.

Or perhaps, even more convoluted, she was in love/fell in love with the mum, but after the divorce, she went for Reiichi as a substitute but seeing as he's not really a woman, she is gradually falling for Uta.. Or something else.

Well, I still think this scene is important somehow, the question is why!

last edited at Nov 15, 2017 12:11PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.