Forum › A Certain Marriage discussion

joined Jan 8, 2014

Lesbian Japanese couple living next door to a gay single father in LA and getting married. Gotta love this!

Yeah anyone else think of the Lword...just the way it started an junk?
I dunno...maybe just cause it was set in LA I went there?

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

In addition to what others have said, the terms of Japan's surrender to the US during WW2 made clear that yuri mangaka would be required to say how great the US is when it comes to the acceptance of same-sex marriage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Declaration

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

In addition to what others have said, the terms of Japan's surrender to the US during WW2 made clear that yuri mangaka would be required to say how great the US is when it comes to the acceptance of same-sex marriage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Declaration

The idea that mangaka are required, presumably by law, to praise the US is kind of hilarious.

Anime_ce15fe_5639786
joined Nov 24, 2016

Far right candidates are running and are likely to win all over Europe.

Not really. The far right came out of the woodworks because of the refugee crisis and how dissatisfied a lot of people are with how it is handled. They'll try to get support playing the "Us vs them" card, but just because they're loud and protesting doesn't mean that they suddenly get a huge surge in support and popularity. The support for the far right is marginal in most of Europe. Also, most countries in Europe have a multiple party system, meaning that the parliaments are made of 5-7 different parties usually. Not like the US where you have either Republicans or Democrats making up the majority of the government body. In some European countries a far right party might get into the parliament, but their seats will be in low numbers and they will be outnumbered by other more moderate right, left and middle parties, that will block any attempt of the far right doing anything.

Anyway, since this is a thread about a yuri manga, I just want to say that I like the idea of the story being set in LA. Most of the media influence comes from the US nowadays with movies, tv shows, music etc., so it's not surprising that the mangaka chose the US instead of a European country. As a Euro, I can live with that and approve.

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

I hope Saki doesn't get kicked out of USA by Trump Dear.

http://giphy.com/gifs/internally-screaming-kermit-L6RpXEqBz2t6o/fullscreen

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

"Won't that be fine if you go to France?" always amused me.

There was also this joke continuation.

Heimyfr
joined Aug 18, 2015

I've seen Holland mentioned in a few doujins, and there was that one story where the main couple's childhood friend got engaged to a Canadian girl. So it does pop up here and there, as does a generalized "we can get married in Europe".

I was just thinking of that one, vaguely recalled it. Would you remember the title by any chance, the Canadian girl one?

It's Wonderful Morning by the equally wonderful Morishima Akiko.

Another example is Kashimashi girl meets girl where The Netherlands is being mentioned as a wedding location.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm not sure about Kumashika Ruri, but lesbian mangaka are more likely to be up to date about where same-sex marriage is possible. That Morishima and Morinaga would be accurate about it is not surprising.

last edited at Nov 29, 2016 11:21AM

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/mismatch_girls_ch01#1 How can you forget this, another Canada one.

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

Ah I remember prop 8. There were warring protesters down the street from my middle school, one side for gay marriage, the other against it. Eventually the anti-gay marriage people gave up and left, but prop 8 passed anyway. My parents were lucky enough to get married the summer before

I feel old now. Prop 8 passed the year before I got married (in Iowa, 2009).

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I have a bad feeling that Anna is going to cheat with that girl she keeps looking at.

joined Jun 11, 2016

Holy Shit, So much time has passed since the first chapter I completely forgot about this series. It's still gold tho.

joined Mar 13, 2016

I have a bad feeling that Anna is going to cheat with that girl she keeps looking at.

i have an even worse feeling about saki and the page 00030 hinting she might dump Anna for "normal family with kids"/ cuz of family dissaproval

59453ac1563a3102b9b5731298ad55a7
joined Aug 31, 2014

i thought the girl Anna was looking at was Sean's kid, who was feeling lonely for receiving no attention after some injury did i misread something?

i have an even worse feeling about saki and the page 00030 hinting she might dump Anna for "normal family with kids"/ cuz of family dissaproval

Honestly i don't think Saki would dump her for that, i mean they stayed 12 years together, surely there was plenty time to wonder about kids and family approval.

last edited at Apr 22, 2017 10:21PM

joined Jun 11, 2016

Like what Akira_YL said, They've been together for 12 year's. I highly doubt she would cheat on Saki with some girl
that she's just met. That would make absolutely zero sense.

Ran-lossy
joined Mar 22, 2015

Like what Akira_YL said, They've been together for 12 year's. I highly doubt she would cheat on Saki with some girl
that she's just met. That would make absolutely zero sense.

For this type of story, yes it would make no sense, for real life...well that has happened before, but for this story, no judging by the title there will be marriage to current girlfriend and not a new girlfriend.

last edited at Apr 23, 2017 2:20AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Still not clear where that manga wants to go.

joined Feb 18, 2015

That is the neighbor's daughter... She's a teenager. I don't think there's going to e a problem with Anna robbing the cradle in order to cheat on the woman she has loved for the past 12 years...

I do think Saki will have some issues to deal with and, obviously, Anna has more issues to deal with than she is letting on, in particular about her father. But Saki already knows this and is probably prepared to deal with it. Probably more prepared than Anna is, frankly.

If anyone might be in danger of cheating i could be Saki, with the woman who came over to talk with her and got her to play the drinking game. Anna didn't look too happy about that, I don't think. But I doubt that as well. (However, that could be a part of the story line, with Saki getting drunk and doing something she regrets and then realizing that she might have thrown away what she truly does want, which is to marry Anna and be with her forever, by doing it. I hope not!)

last edited at Apr 24, 2017 1:47PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Oh, a flag.

I don't like that last page.

joined Feb 7, 2016

:( why did saki look like that

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

When I saw saki's face in the last page I didn't know wether to laught or to be worried. What a funny face lmao

Bunnythor_full_small
joined May 17, 2015

Still not clear where that manga wants to go.

If it goes too much further down the gloom 'n' doom road, then it will require the aaaaaangst tag.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I predict a lot of future stories will be like this: yes, we've accepted civil unions in Japan. But no, I won't allow you to agitate for marriage because what about the family registry and the federal registry. Those registries are really venerated.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Since we're on the subject: where do you think Husky and Medley went to get married? I know they just said they were still together in college (about 3 years later) but the narrator girl did mention marriage at the end of her account.

last edited at Jun 2, 2017 9:05PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Since we're on the subject: where do you think Husky and Medley went to get married? I know they just said they were still together in college (about 3 years later) but the narrator girl did mention marriage at the end of her account.

I think there are places that hold symbolic marriages in Japan that don't confer any status or rights, Morinaga Milk mentions it at the end of Kisses, Sighs and Cherry-Blossom Pink. Plus I believe the practice of adoption and adding one girl's name to the other's family register has been referred to as marriage too, even if in the literal sense it's a different thing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.