Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Moke ver.) discussion

Noodlerama001
joined Feb 24, 2023

Im racking my brain for a term to describe Shimmura, that completely emotional detachment but not in a way that’s sociopathic, just melancholy, is it depression? Is she just very guarded and can’t show her emotions and would rather just “sync” her mood with whoever she happens to be with because that’s just a lot easier than being her own person with agency? I’m just very fascinated by this character. She’s human, she gets sad and can cry, but she doesn’t want to so she doesn’t.

Adachi is not a healthy person and is extremely codependent as a girlfriend but Shimura doesn’t even care and just goes with the flow because….well why not? So intriguing

last edited at Jul 15, 2025 2:18AM

BoredLittleShit
joined Jun 5, 2025

GUYS WE NEED THE SUPERNATURAl TAG Yashiro is already confirme to be inhuman in the LN as she survived for centuries and now the manga has solid proof as well

BoredLittleShit
joined Jun 5, 2025

This manga is so awesome.

Indeed. The introspection aspect is so great. I really should read the novel, but it's a bit off putting that there are so many volumes.

I command you to read them. There might even be cake once you're done.

For real I read the manga until around ch 40 first then binged the LN and I promise the LN is worth it the introspection goes insanely deep

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

I remember this being a pretty big turning point in the LNs for Shimamura and how she approaches her relationship with Adachi. Without spoiling too much, she becomes a lot more demonstrative and loving with her adorable puppy dog girlfriend as time goes on. We're definitely in for a treat and a fun ride from here :D

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I am not sure I understand these characters, I used to like Adachi more before. But it is nonetheless interesting, I look forward to what is to come.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Very Shimamura.

Download%20(2)
joined Mar 20, 2021

Sancho... I have conceived an idea most ingenious

Its kinda interesting seeing what bits of internal narration make it from the LN to the manga, I guess its sort of telling that there's two pages of pure monologue.

Alice_is_lost
joined Mar 29, 2021

Shimamura just seems to be more confident in taking adachi more seriously now and facing her problems directly, which is so sweet :D

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

"sanscro"

I never been so offended in my life

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

I like the art, but it's so slow. Will they ever kiss?

19
joined Mar 18, 2018

I like the art, but it's so slow. Will they ever kiss?

It's extreamly slow burn. Like about as slow as you can get without going backwards. Honestly it's kinda hard to read this sometimes because how stale and akward their relationship feels.

A lot of people hoped it would be more emotional when they started dating, but it's pretty much the same.

joined Oct 20, 2024

omg I relate to Adachi so much. I can't handle a relationship(friends or dating) with more than one person at a time. I want to put everything I have into that one person and I don't want to interact with anyone else. It's a very unfortunate situation to put that other person in though because most people have multiple friends or people they want to interact with. Idk the point of this post just ranting I guess. Anyways THIS MANGA IS TOO CUTE I LOVE IT SO MUCH

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Managing the puppy. :D

joined May 27, 2025

Ah so cute. I can't get enough of these dorks. >//<

joined May 9, 2017

The way the hold their hands on the last page, so cute.

Icon_tinymila
joined Jan 30, 2017

I love the fortune teller, she's my favorite side character.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Adachi is lucky to have such a great girlfriend. ^_^

joined Jun 5, 2025

rare flustered shimamura

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

Ok the girl in the backpack is like, a hallucination right?

joined Oct 11, 2019

This manga is so odd. The strange alien child adds nothing and frankly just detracts from the otherwise grounded story, meanwhile the MCs' relationship has very little chemistry and often feels actively unhealthy. It has its cute moments I guess, but to me it feels more like a story about a fairly realistic childhood relationship between two kids who are just trying to figure themselves out and which is bound to fizzle out in relatively short order, rather than about destined soulmates as the narrative claims. I haven't read the LN and maybe some character development will eventually change that impression, but it's going to take a lot to turn it around.

Tumblr_6092d594b3a92296a4d35bac1b1a474c_c2d1131f_400
joined Apr 4, 2022

Hougetsu....
You cant smuggle humans

20250804_062834
joined Jun 18, 2025

This manga is so odd. The strange alien child adds nothing and frankly just detracts from the otherwise grounded story, meanwhile the MCs' relationship has very little chemistry and often feels actively unhealthy. It has its cute moments I guess, but to me it feels more like a story about a fairly realistic childhood relationship between two kids who are just trying to figure themselves out and which is bound to fizzle out in relatively short order, rather than about destined soulmates as the narrative claims. I haven't read the LN and maybe some character development will eventually change that impression, but it's going to take a lot to turn it around.

The main problem about yashiro the alien child is that you mostly see her in the LN intermissions and side stories where she just be doing whatever and she hangs around shimamura's sister and family for fun and sometimes says profound stuff. The manga adapts none of the intermissions or sometimes they end up as 1-2 page volume extras so yashiro feels really out of place in the manga version.

She really gets her time to shine in LN vol 99.9 and she genuinely becomes one of the best characters in the whole series in that volume. We still don't know if the manga will adapt 99.9 though.

joined Jul 6, 2020

silent judgmental stares

joined Feb 27, 2023

This manga is so odd. The strange alien child adds nothing and frankly just detracts from the otherwise grounded story, meanwhile the MCs' relationship has very little chemistry and often feels actively unhealthy. It has its cute moments I guess, but to me it feels more like a story about a fairly realistic childhood relationship between two kids who are just trying to figure themselves out and which is bound to fizzle out in relatively short order, rather than about destined soulmates as the narrative claims. I haven't read the LN and maybe some character development will eventually change that impression, but it's going to take a lot to turn it around.

Which is bound to fizzle out??? Apparently every young couple who faces any awkwardness is doomed now.
I like the “alien child” (whose name is Yashiro, you’d know if you payed attention to the story). You’re coming at this as if the manga has to prove something to you instead of reading it for fun. Room temperature take

joined Oct 11, 2019

Which is bound to fizzle out??? Apparently every young couple who faces any awkwardness is doomed now.
I like the “alien child” (whose name is Yashiro, you’d know if you payed attention to the story). You’re coming at this as if the manga has to prove something to you instead of reading it for fun. Room temperature take

I mean yeah, most young couples are doomed. Most couples period are doomed. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it can be interesting to read about couples that might not work out.

Given this story is highly introspective and obviously trying to elevate itself above the typical surface level plots of many other mainstream romance manga, I think it's pretty obvious the author is trying to prove something. Which, good! Easy, fluffy, rote stories can be comfy, but I'd much rather read something by someone who feels they have something to prove. However, this naturally invites readers to more deeply analyze the story. Which is also good! Engage in dialogue with the stories you read!

I think the characters are very well written, but the overarching narrative and a few of the specific decisions made, at least in this adaptation (again, I haven't read the LN and fully believe it might be done better there), feel incongruous. If the narrative hadn't directly spelled out that these characters were supposed to be soulmates, I would find a relationship between these two kids trying to navigate growing up while dealing with these enormous hidden feelings more compelling. I don't (yet) buy that their personalities are a good match, that they can truly mutually support one another emotionally, that they're willing to grow for themselves as well as each other rather than just enable this codependence they seem to be developing. Like I said, maybe that growth will come. But they're kids! I wouldn't expect them to be capable of that level of relationship at that age anyway. Personally, I assume that lots of the relationships I read about in manga - especially school age manga - will end one day, but that the characters will have grown as people as a result of those relationships.

As for Yashiro, she has yet to contribute to the narrative as presented by the manga. I'm not saying you're wrong to like her, but her presence or absence in the manga would have no meaningful impact on the story or characters thus far. I hope this changes, but to me, she comes across as an unjustified gimmick.

To reply you must either login or sign up.