Forum › How I Lose Bets With My Sadistic Gifted Childhood Friend and She Steals All of My Firsts discussion

identification-projection-preheterosexuality
Please%20actually
joined Mar 13, 2018

I love Komaki's cringe TikTok demon boyfriend "Lose the shirt, woman, or I'll chew it off you" bit with all my heart. I truly hope that when they actually get together she bottoms.

joined Jan 14, 2020

what is the sister series?

"A Yuri Story in Which a Girl Who Says That Girls Being Together is Unbelievable Will Completely Fall Within 100 Days"

Similar type of story, similar agreement/game between MCs, MC who is similarly shown to be into things near immediately. They're both part of the same romance genre in a way (one that's been popular for a long time even outside of Japan). If you like this one, you might like that one too. I forgot the shorter nickname for that series...

Short name is Arioto.

Wasn't sure if you meant that or "buying a classmate", or if they were related in more than vague theme and tone.

last edited at Jul 27, 2024 1:33PM

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

"A Yuri Story in Which a Girl Who Says That Girls Being Together is Unbelievable Will Completely Fall Within 100 Days"

Similar type of story, similar agreement/game between MCs, MC who is similarly shown to be into things near immediately. They're both part of the same romance genre in a way (one that's been popular for a long time even outside of Japan). If you like this one, you might like that one too. I forgot the shorter nickname for that series...that's a mouthful.

For me this series is messy but feels more mutual in it's complicated relationship. I can't stomach 100 days for a variety of reasons, mainly due to the rape factor. So I'm hoping this doesn't cross the line that 100 days did.

That doesn't really happen in 100 days but I feel we'd just end repeating the same criticisms/debates this series gets. Out of the two (and w/o spoiling) 100 days is way more wholesome, their affection is mutual pretty much from the start (besides the denial that fuels the story) and only increases from there; but I guess that's where the difference of opinion comes from. The bar owner is a whole different story, though...

Short name is Arioto.

Thanks! Right. Completely forgot.

last edited at Jul 27, 2024 1:35PM

Img_5712
joined Jan 3, 2022

Yeah there's argument to be made about consent in earlier chapters but in this one Wakaba's clearly into it and just pushing back a little for appearance's sake. She literally thinks to herself "times like these aren't so bad".

Particularly with how she's so quick to cuddle and comfort Komaki when she gets scared. Clearly Wakaba's not actually put off by the kissing if she's so quick to comfort her.

Dubious consent fits as consent isn’t explicitly given. A “no” is still a “no” if there wasn’t a previous convo explaining that the “no’s” are “yes’” + the other chick doesn’t know that Wakaba is into it, so in her view, Wakaba isn’t saying “no” and she’s going on with it anyways

Also, just because you enjoy it doesn’t mean you consent to it

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Similar type of story, similar agreement/game between MCs, MC who is similarly shown to be into things near immediately. They're both part of the same romance genre in a way (one that's been popular for a long time even outside of Japan). If you like this one, you might like that one too. I forgot the shorter nickname for that series...that's a mouthful.

For me this series is messy but feels more mutual in it's complicated relationship. I can't stomach 100 days for a variety of reasons, mainly due to the rape factor. So I'm hoping this doesn't cross the line that 100 days did.

I'm also of the opinion that Arioto feels less consensual than this series but I don't hate it like Fluffycow. I simply think Watanare by the same author is a much better yuri series.
Being written by the same author around the same time, Arioto and Watanare feel similar but the latter has much more charming characters and is more pleasant to read.

last edited at Jul 27, 2024 1:54PM

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

^And since Shuukura was mentioned, I feel obligated to add that it is not dubcon like these others. It's made explicitly clear in the beginning that Sendai is free to walk away if she ever has a problem with Miyagi's orders.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

@SrNevik: Yeah it's fair if you have a different view of 100 days and enjoy it more, I can only say that what I read of the manga was too uncomfortable for me and I had to drop it.

^And since Shuukura was mentioned, I feel obligated to add that it is not dubcon like these others. It's made explicitly clear in the beginning that Sendai is free to walk away if she ever has a problem with Miyagi's orders.

Yeah Shuukura seems like the best one, since there's a lot more clear consent.

joined Feb 14, 2023

How is umezono that stupid does she genuinely believe the girl who not only let's her touch and strip and MAKE OUT with her actually despises her???? Oh yeah me and the girl I hate sleeping naked because we hate eachother

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

WE WERE RIGHT HECK YEAAAAAAAAH

.....Well, the people who thought that Umezono had some weird "I love you so much I want you to hate me" complex going on. Little does she know, her plan is backfiring spectacularly!

.....you could even say she's failing her mission successfully :3c

joined Jan 14, 2020

How is umezono that stupid does she genuinely believe the girl who not only let's her touch and strip and MAKE OUT with her actually despises her???? Oh yeah me and the girl I hate sleeping naked because we hate eachother

"I am a perfect angelic being."

No, you're a teen girl who's smart at school and dumb at life.

joined May 10, 2021

So huuuuh... Why aren't they dating yet?

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

A touch of misunderstandings, dash of inadequacy and a heavy sprinkle of denial. Solving the denial part probably solves the first two, but the first two make the denial stronger, which is funny.

last edited at Jul 27, 2024 5:46PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

cause they're complete idiots

Undertale%20deltarune%20fukufire%20skateboard%20gay
joined Aug 4, 2021

yeah ive been there

joined Jan 14, 2020

My guess: because Wakaba liked a boy once and Komaki thinks Wakaba is straight.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

A touch of misunderstandings, dash of inadequacy and a heavy sprinkle of denial. Solving the denial part probably solves the first two, but the first two make the denial stronger, which is funny.

Yeah komaki is in sort of like a fallen hero place where she embraced the thought that she will never have wakaba and is pursuing that to the very end.

She was a sincere girl who, in that moment where the suffering people's jealousy put her through was too much, decided to become insincere and superior and look down on people (understandable, for a young kid with no emotional support) but it meant she never developed the ability to sincerely express her feelings and be vulnerable. So when she started falling in love with her only friend, and then wakaba turned to look elsewhere, she thought oh i can never have her but I can't live without her.

So instead of sincerely expressing the depth of her emotions, which she can't do because she can't be vulnerable, she's giving up completely on having wakaba for herself and instead is trying to cling to her, to carve some of herself into her, so that when wakaba leaves her they'll still be tangled up in each other. she loves her so much she can't let her go, but she can't be honest with her. I mean she literally gave up a better school to pursue this girl who she tanked her relationship with. Just to make her hate her more, to get her hands on her for longer, to dig her claws in deeper.

She's, like, following the dark side of toxic yuri, so i think she'll never be able to ask wakaba out.

And then wakaba also hates and mistrusts her for the fucked up thing she did to her, which was a profound and unexpected betrayal. She hates her because she loved her so much and got punished for it.

She wants to break through komaki's jadedness and give her what-for, and she still clearly has feelings. But she needs to grow to the point where she'd want to be together with her for real, and to understand her emotions, and to do what she does best: pierce komaki's shell. and then komaki needs to give up on being doomed and meet her halfway, so they can form something secure.

they both need to grow a lot, independently and together, before that could happen. so it's a pretty long road. And damn is it well set up.

last edited at Jul 27, 2024 10:22PM

joined Nov 22, 2019

I'm also of the opinion that Arioto feels less consensual than this series but I don't hate it like Fluffycow. I simply think Watanare by the same author is a much better yuri series.
Being written by the same author around the same time, Arioto and Watanare feel similar but the latter has much more charming characters and is more pleasant to read.

Comments like these are genuinely insane to me. I literally came to this forum to post a comment saying the exact opposite: that arioto felt way more consensual than this dumpsterfire.

I mean, just compare some of the panels.

Both of these are from chapter 3 of their respective series:

and scenes like these

The body language is night and day. In arioto, Marika's eyes are constantly open, she's holding fuwawa's face, and she never seems physically resistant to any of Fuwawa's advances, only mentally, and its the whole "oh this feels so good, even though Fuwawa's a girl..." stuff.

In this manga, Wakaba's body language is scarily similar to the actual body language of sexual assult victims. She never makes eye contact, she's usually has her eyes closed and she's looking away, her whole body is tensed up, and she's dissociating. She's not thinking about how much she secretly likes it, shes thinking over about why its happening to her, she's blaming herself, regretting her actions, etc. Once again, scarily similar to actual thoughts of sexual abuse victims.

Even the scene composition is different. This manga is physically much darker than in arioto. Umezono's face is usually in shadow, and their dialogue is drawn with the scratchy lines during intimate scenes, or with the hazy white blob behind the text, like what most manga do when a disturbing scene is taking place. And I think that's the freaking point. Umezono is supposed to come off as the villian, where as Fuwawa was supposedly just innocently trying to change Marika's view on homosexuality until it's revealed she secretly liked her.

This manga feels so, so much worse than Arioto. As someone who was a little iffy on arioto, going back and reading it now makes it seem vanilla compared to this shit.

last edited at Jul 28, 2024 12:33AM

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Thanks for the effort on putting those panels together but my opinion about Arioto comes from reading the LN, so reading body language was never part of the equation for me. I've never read the manga and don't have much interest in it.

Admittedly its probably not fair for me to compare a LN to a manga like that though since the manga is likely to leave out some of the internal monologue.

Like I said earlier, my main issue with Arioto is that it's an inferior work to Watanare. Written by the same author around the same time with similar "feel" to it.

last edited at Jul 28, 2024 12:40AM

joined Sep 27, 2017

For me the larger context of this manga is that the author invented some contrived "I hate/love you" two sided coin, where bets take place and then questionable things happen. I won't say it's great, but it feels like there's a mutual understanding between the characters underneath the questionable nature of the bets and the results so far, plus the furthest line hasn't been crossed yet at least.

100 days I remember there being a rape scene in the manga specifically, that is full out NSFW rape. Regardless of the art in the series one of the characters went all the way and raped the other. That's why there's a rape tag on chapter 8.

I don't know what else to say. Regardless of what people say I'm not comfortable going back and reading the 100 days manga after the rape scene. I won't be surprised if I also drop this manga at some point as well, but so far it hasn't yet crossed that line despite some of it's content being uncomfortable.

joined Jan 14, 2020

The body language is night and day. In arioto, Marika's eyes are constantly open, she's holding fuwawa's face, and she never seems physically resistant to any of Fuwawa's advances, only mentally, and its the whole "oh this feels so good, even though Fuwawa's a girl..." stuff.

Thanks for putting together the comparison.

Arioto manga and LN alike, I think the 'rape' accusations boil down to one day when Mari said she didn't want to have sex that day and Aya pushed her anyway, not to the overall relationship (which was straight up prostitution/sugar dating, with a 'bet' twist.) And while Aya was in the wrong, Mari didn't end up feeling raped, but really happy, and wanting to pleasure Aya back. Plus thinking herself that she probably seemed like she was playing hard to get rather than emitting clear "No".

last edited at Jul 28, 2024 1:21AM

joined Sep 27, 2017

Thanks for putting together the comparison.

Arioto manga and LN alike, I think the 'rape' accusations boil down to one day when Mari said she didn't want to have sex that day and Aya pushed her anyway, not to the overall relationship (which was straight up prostitution/sugar dating, with a 'bet' twist.) And while Aya was in the wrong, Mari didn't end up feeling raped, but really happy, and wanting to pleasure Aya back. Plus thinking herself that she probably seemed like she was playing hard to get rather than emitting clear "No".

It seems like various people think this series is way worse than 100 days, and that the rape in 100 days isn't "actually" rape. So do people think the rape tag be removed from that series? The chapter where it happens I remember very clearly crossed a line, but it seems like various people don't think so. For me regardless of what people say it doesn't change the fact that the rape scene is still rape, and I think the tag is absolutely necessary.

Maybe this manga is way more vile and disgusting than I'm thinking, however I just can't see 100 days as a happy romance. So this whole conversation isn't making me want to drop this and read 100 days instead, it's only making wonder if I should drop the author entirely.

Bbdc0419e38b238dedd03df55fae45ce
joined Jul 21, 2024

In both mangas, 'Arioto' and this one, the authors, from my interpretation of reading the two series, are trying to romanticize the concept of rape as well as undermine it and use it as a source for the development of the romances in both stories.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

STOCKHOLM SYNDROME IS REAL

Woohooooooo

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Generally agreed with everything you said, although I won't paste all of it here. Arioto is lighthearted and tongue in cheek nearly the whole way through--its essentially a romcom; while this one is intended to be dramatic and confronting with more negative emotions fueling each character. I think both are fine though, for reasons I've already briefly mentioned.

Thanks for the effort on putting those panels together but my opinion about Arioto comes from reading the LN, so reading body language was never part of the equation for me. I've never read the manga and don't have much interest in it.

Genuine question: did you only read the early LN? The series is beyond fluff and straightforward romantic progress. It goes well passed the 100 day bet, which ends very early, so I'd be confused if you've been referring to the series in its entirety. Even the first LN is not dramatic in the slightest but I can't fault you for liking Watanare more. I actually feel the opposite about those two series but I have a bias against stories like Watanare anyway.

So do people think the rape tag be removed from that series?

Definitely, but as I mentioned before that's not a debate I really care to have at this point. I'm not even sure if I was there for whatever the original debate was and I can't imagine it was a good time for anyone. But definitely don't read something you're not interested in. I don't think anyone is asking for that.

last edited at Jul 28, 2024 7:01AM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

All three series mentioned play around with consent in different ways, but I think the issue we might be coming up against is in the moment consent versus pre-activity consent. Both Bets and Arioto involve very clear pre-activity consent, and then dubious in the moment consent. In real life, that wouldn't be okay, and the in the moment consent is the most important thing. It's like doing BDSM without a safe word, and it's natural to be bothered by it. But part of the premise of these series is that dynamic, otherwise there is no conflict.

5000 yen, on the other hand, is constantly reconfirming in the moment consent. It has to, because they constantly say no to each other, push each other over their limits, and then step back. They break consent with each other all the time as well, hence the novel mentioning when they kick each other or when they say they'll get angry. It works better than the other two though because they're still communicating about the consent (terribly, but they're trying) and they still have hard lines they try not to cross. In contrast to the other two series, their biggest problem is the pre-activity consent. Basing their relationship on the 5000 yen confuses the issue for them, which is why they mess with their limits all the time.

To reply you must either login or sign up.