Forum › Anime season

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Next season:

Shy is coming back

My Deer Friend Nokotan does have yuri, but it's an absurd gag comedy, so it's not very serious yuri

Nanare Hananare is a schoolgirl series, and it's coming to us from the main Bandori director. Probably going to be at least a bit gay

Mayonaka Punch is all-female. I'd expect it to at least have subtext

VTuber Legend is apparently a fairly accurate depiction of vtuber streams, so I'd expect flirting

Dungeon People doesn't look to have any outright romance, but with the main characters both being female it'll probably be shippable

joined Jun 3, 2020

2.5 Dimensional Seduction also has an actual lesbian couple among the supporting characters, but they didn't get an arc focused on them until very recently in the manga (as in, the arc ended literally last week), so it's obviously not going to be in the anime, even if it's already confirmed to be 24 episodes long.

On the other hand, it's shockingly easy to ship the girls together even though this is a harem title. There were times while I was reading the manga where I seriously started to think the MC was a bait and the main female lead was the real harem protagonist all along, because she has a very harem-esque power of making everyone love her. And she manages to be even more blatantly bi than Marin from the similar title Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru.

last edited at May 31, 2024 9:39PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

Man that last episode (#9) of Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night went hard. Not so much with regards to being yuri (though it's extremely relevant here), but moreso with regards to being my favorite episode of all the shows I've been watching this season so far.

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Jellyfish's last episode was rough on my heart.
And in the preview we see Kano being depressed, which means this episode is looking like it'll be rough too.
It also looks like it'll be a Mei episode, which doesn't help since she's by far my least favorite character. Her whole "Kano-tan is my oshi!" act was kinda funny at first but it's been getting old.

Girls Band Cry continues to be great. All the discussion over translation of "that scene" from episode 8 has been interesting: https://old.reddit.com/r/yurimemes/comments/1d774ya/well_this_is_awful_girls_band_cry/

last edited at Jun 5, 2024 10:50AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

When I saw the creepy otaku in Jellyfish 07 I decided not to watch the next episode, then I heard the one after that was drama heavy, looks like things will stay that way for a while which kinda sucks, even if I don't know the reason yet, makes me feel like is better to wait until the series is over now and I was looking forward to each episode every week before :(

THANK GOD for Yuru camp and Dungeon meshi! and I'm going to consume Girls Band Cry soon

joined Aug 29, 2019

Jellyfish's last episode was rough on my heart.
And in the preview we see Kano being depressed, which means this episode is looking like it'll be rough too.

Yeah the current high drama arc isn't the fluff you might want from a CGDCT show, but I really appreciate the way it's done. It seems relatively well grounded and I think the characters are all acting in a very consistent and "realistic" manner according to what we know (or have just learned, talk about presenting backstory) about them. I don't watch external previews for future episodes. I usually take my anime as they come, when they come.

I had the impression that they took a very effective "show don't tell" approach to both current and past events in this episode, with little commentary added (e.g. mama Hayakawa's manipulative approach to negotiation was super well presented without overplaying it too much or making her an obvious villain). In the later parts it felt more like Kano was reliving some of her uncomfortable experiences, allowing us to learn of the past through her eyes, rather than having her explain it to others (which is what I meant by "commentary").
Direction, acting and animation were top notch in this one.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

So Hana wa Saku, Shura no Gotoku, Takeda Ayano's series about a high school recitation club is getting an anime adaptation.
I'm honestly p hype about this, it's a great series. Dunno much about Studio Bind but they did Onimai!, which was good, so there's that~

https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1800837218195431839

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Takeda Ayano anime adaptation

Author of Hibike Euphonium

I know I have plenty of company in the many yuri fans who were traumatized by the Euphonium yuri bait. Couldn't continue that series after a male background character came out of basically nowhere to pair with the MC.

I'll have to 100% know whether there'll be yuri or not with this new anime before I can consider watching this one. "Fool me once, shame on me..." and all that.

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I know I have plenty of company in the many yuri fans who were traumatized by the Euphonium yuri bait. Couldn't continue that series after a male background character came out of basically nowhere to pair with the MC.

I'll have to 100% know whether there'll be yuri or not with this new anime before I can consider watching this one. "Fool me once, shame on me..." and all that.

I don't think it's labeled yuri anywhere. It doesn't seem like it is, based on what I've seen of that manga on Mangadex.

last edited at Jun 13, 2024 7:54AM

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Can't blame the author for the Euphonium anime bait. That's entirely on KyoAni.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well if you check the manga volume covers, starts with 2 girls for vol 1 and 2 and then guys starts to show up for the rest so yeah if you're looking for that, I would NOT recommend this author, not even for a side couple.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

This is kind of random, but I've been rewatching Gundam: Witch from Mercury, and I just wanted to talk about the brilliance of a specific scene in episode 12.

I am referring to the scene where Suletta's mother has just killed some dudes and is trying to calm Suletta, who has been quite shaken by the sight. She talks about how it was a necessary kill in order to protect Suletta and goes on to say that Suletta should use Aerial to do the same for the people she loves. The scene ends with her extending her hand to Suletta, who —notably— moves from the shadow where she was hiding into the light, while they both recite the motto "move forward, gain two".

At first glance, it appears like a rather standard scene in action anime, where the protagonist is scared, but remembers the people they need to protect, thus gathering the strength to keep fighting. I'd like to point out the music though. Ιt, too, mostly sounds like a generic soft piano score that you would expect in such a scene. However, if you pay attention, it sounds somewhat... off; τhe melody doesn't seem to follow the pattern I would expect, with a few odd jumps, thus creating an underlining sense of unease.

This scene is brilliant, because it tries to manipulate you, the same way that Prospera is manipulating Suletta. The music and the use of lighting seems to paint a positive picture of this interaction. However, if you pay more attention to the gestures, the music, the dialogue and, as the audience, having already witnessed the mother's manipulation tactics in previous episodes, it becomes clear that things aren't what they seem. Which is a great way to build the ground for the post-credit final scene of the season, where Suletta's gesture is mirroring her mother's, but is instead met with horror.

Sorry for the wall of text, it was just too great a scene.

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

2024 Spring Season lookback (haven't seen every subext show so not including them):

The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio: High subtext. Wonder moments between these Voice Actress rivals. Everytime they say they hate each other we know what they really mean.

Delicious in Dungeon (2nd half): maintained the quality of the first half but not really on yuri moments what with Falin away from the party again.

Girls Band Cry: a confession between Nina and Momako (with Nina making it clear what she meant to Momako and the translators confirming it was a romantic confession). Not really a follow up scene to this, but given how Nina and Momako act (and the others noting how Momako was worried about Nina when she went back to her family to sort things out), I think it's safe to say Momako accepted Nina's confession. We also have Tomo and Rupa (with Rupa having a huge amount of fan girls). Pretty clear what their relationship is.

Jellyfish Can't Swim At Night: Medium-High Subtext. NOT BAIT. Mei confessed her love for Kano (made a clear distinction between that and her role as a fan), both Kano and Kiui appreciating what a million yen looks like from Koharu, Kiui and Koharu getting closer, and possible side couple of background girls, and all the moments betwen Mahiru and Kano. Mahiru and Kano are back where they were before the agruement happened, the fact that Kano found a new reason to sing does not eliminate that as clearly seen by their reunion, the camera footage afterwards, the fact that it was seeing Mahiru's art (and Mahiru cheering) that got her to sing again and the fact that despite her new purpose for singing, she clearly still cares about the old ones as she was very happy that she technically achieved her mother's goal of 50,000 audience member live meaning she would still care about stuff with Mahiru (such as her wanting to ride the motorcyle with her). The kiss on the cheek meant something. I would have liked full on yuri too, but just because they didn't go all the way that doesn't make the show bait.

And Whisper Me a Love Song: not done yet, but despite the production issues, a wonderful show that goes full yuri.

Train to the End of the World: subtext. Do not hurt Akira infront of Reimi

Ishikawa Puro (creator of Kuttsukiboshi) independant youtube yuri: ep 3 released and we got a kiss and returned feelings (and going viral because of yuri)

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! 3: mistaken for gay scene between Megumin and Darkness with Aqua saying her religion is supportive of it.

Date A Live V: Miku still being Miku

Blue Archive the Animation: cute girls shoot guns but not much subtext.

The Duke of Death and His Maid Season 3: still has the yuri side couple and one girl really shocked by/appreciating another's large breasts.

Rinkai!: cute girls ride bike. A nice show but I don't remember that many subtext moments.

Nijiyon Animation 2: continuing the Niji Love Live goodness. Probably the biggest part was Setsuna and Ayumu confessing to each other. Gotta love all the yuri subsects of Yu's harem.

Urusei Yatsura (2022) 2nd Season: No moment between Ryuu and Benten as well as a line change in the fight between Ryuu and Nagisa (a boy). The original line in the manga was saying Ryuu would have accepted the loss and gone out with Nagisa if Nagisa was a girl. They did a similar line change in season 1 with Lum's mom. Don't know why they did these line changes and I don't want to say censorship since they clearly still had girls in love with Ryuu (they even changed it so that the girls in class were aware right away that Ryuu was a girl and they still loved her).

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

And Whisper Me a Love Song: not done yet, but despite the production issues, a wonderful show that goes full yuri.

Well that's a yuri to begin with. And it had to be mention that the anime skipped several Hima/Yori dates and most importantly, the summer festival part with the first kiss.

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Well that's a yuri to begin with. And it had to be mention that the anime skipped several Hima/Yori dates and most importantly, the summer festival part with the first kiss.

Lmao are you serious?! They actually skipped that?! I gave up watching bc it was a terrible adaptation but I can't believe they'd skip something as important as that.

Whisper Me a Love Song is the manga.
The anime is Whimper Me a Lug Sound.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Lmao are you serious?! They actually skipped that?! I gave up watching bc it was a terrible adaptation but I can't believe they'd skip something as important as that.

They make that part in a manga voiceover on youtube

AirMasterHoney
joined May 29, 2020

VTuber Legend. As someone who has watched various vtuber clips, the stream parts and chat felt very authentic. Her debating with chat about being pure reminded me of the Vtubers Marine and Matsuri. Also, plenty of yuri fun here.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

They make that part in a manga voiceover on youtube

Sadly though the fact remains that it was cut out of the anime. Voicing the manga on Youtube is a consolation prize for a butchered anime adaption.

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

This is a whole different level of butchering though. To cut the first kiss from a romance anime almost goes beyond incompetence and into the realm of malicious.

On a brighter note, everyone's favorite Deer anime is the wonderful, unhinged adaptation that we all expected. Looks like we'll be getting some nice subtext.

The VTuber anime's MC is such a degenerate drunk lesbian and I love her. I know practically nothing about VTubers but still found it entertaining. Looks like she'll be flirting with the other VTubers and making lecherous comments quite a bit

Chimera
joined Aug 2, 2023

In a temporary lapse of judgement, I decided to give Mayonaka Punch a try, but it's actually fairly decent. (I'll use this serendipity to justify future bad decisions, won't I?)

Mind you, it's still a comedy, so don't expect a slow-burn romance, but with Live thirsting over Masaki in more way than one, who is well aware of what exposing some skin does to her, and Ichiko having one-sided delusions about Live, calling it subtext won't do it justice, it's rather BOTTOM TEXT.

I've seen it called "Yuri Call of the Night", though I don't see similarities besides having a pink-haired flat vampire (...Seraph of the End anyone?), but hey, less cliché than a topical "still a better lovestory than Twilight". Imho it's also funnier than the Nokotan, and with a nice yuri side-dish. I might switch to the Manga (or LN) once it becomes available though.

last edited at Jul 22, 2024 1:08PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.