Forum › Normality and Monsters discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Awww, she wants MC to be an accessory to her horrific murder! Pretty forward.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Neither of the artists has ever done Yuri before and the introduction of the work doesn't use the word Yur but the friendship so I wonder why is this work tagged as Yuri? Did at least one of the characters fall in love in the following chapter if not then I would suggest tagging it with subtext instead of Yuri.

The Bookwalker page does tag it as yuri, as well as romance. The Comicwalker page does not, admittedly (though it did have a "romance" tag before the website's redesign); looking at other sites that sell the volume, the tagging is actually pretty inconsistent in this regard. But the publication it's in, Comic Beam, publishes a number of yuri manga, as you can see from its page here, so I can't imagine there would be publisher pressure or anything to make it "not yuri."

In addition, I don't think it's true that neither mangaka has done yuri. The writer also did this oneshot, basically a comedy about a "yuri death game," as well as a previous series that at least on Twitter they claim to be yuri by the end (I haven't read it myself, maybe I should?).

Finally, while I understand the word "love" wasn't used, I really can't interpret Itou's reactions in chapter 2 in any other way lol. When you're having a meltdown over another girl getting close to you and thinking about how good she smells, that's not friendship. So while I do think it's kind of on the yuri/subtext borderline, there's enough there that I'm comfortable calling it yuri.

Cool thanks for your reply now I can read it reassuredly without worrying about friendship ending

One of the characters is a worm monster I would be worrying about more things than a friendship ending

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

This has a lot of potential, very interested in seeing where it goes

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

wtf this is sick!

I'm in.

Screenshot_20220526-044757
joined Aug 7, 2019

The comedy and delivery for the first chapter of this yuri reminds me of Tatsuki Fujimoto's works in the best way possible!

joined Jul 11, 2023

the art in this is so insanely good, excited to see how it plays out

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Wow what the hell, this manga is so great. Pretty sure the "monster" thing is just a metaphor for something, I would say as of now I think it may be sexuality, like in engaging in sexual activities or sexual maturity. After all, the man she killed/ate was trying to rape her. Also this needs Philosophical tag imo, or I think it would paint a proper image for any interested potential reader. Anyway I love this, it's so eerie and profound, just fantastic.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Also this needs Philosophical tag imo, or I think it would paint a proper image for any interested potential reader. Anyway I love this, it's so eerie and profound, just fantastic.

I considered it, but I think Psychological is a more accurate descriptor; there is some social commentary, but the focus is largely on the characters' emotional states. That said, the social commentary is definitely there, so if you think a Philosophical tag is deserved please do suggest it and see what the mods think.

I'm really happy you're enjoying it so much!

joined Jul 8, 2019

"It's Norwegian, a cheerful yet lonely song"
She's totally listening to Burzum

joined Jun 12, 2015

She wants to eat her ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The flashback was interesting, and hopefully an indication we'll hear more about how she came to live among humans.

joined Apr 10, 2021

The artstyle and the topic, obviously, has me going all shadow star and wondering if the monster will eat all (other?) humans in the end and they live together in an empty earth.

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Considering everything about her, Itou would be okay with being eaten, as long as she'd remain her friend to the last second or something.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

You may eat her but not in the way you're expecting

Undertale%20deltarune%20fukufire%20skateboard%20gay
joined Aug 4, 2021

god i really needed a story like this

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

I fucking love high-contrast-shadow art styles so much.

"I can't call this gap moe."

Priceless.

last edited at Apr 21, 2024 12:40PM

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

I love how they’re just having normal acoustic girl interactions but the art style makes it out to be so sinister and uncanny. Me too, girl, me too.

joined Aug 13, 2023

COOL GRANDMA! COOL GRANDMA!

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

COOL GRANDMA! COOL GRANDMA!

What are the chances that she has already figured out that her grandkid brought home a monster?

Chimera
joined Aug 2, 2023

If Itou really shares 25% genes with the GRANDMAster, there's truly no reason why she would be afraid of monsters.

And honestly, not liking anything is a pretty drab and sad existence - only driven by the avoidance of death and pain. If this is meant as an allegory to something, perhaps it's depression? Given the japanese attitude towards mental health, and how depressed people often excel at hiding their struggles, I can see it as more "monstrous" than merely sexuality.

joined Jun 11, 2021

god i'm so in love with this. i hope we can get at least a few volumes of it

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That is quite the grandma... :D

And nice shirt.

joined Apr 16, 2022

god i'm so in love with this. i hope we can get at least a few volumes of it

Volume 2 is already out in Japan, which goes up to chapter 20, and it's still ongoing so we should get at least 30 (hopefully many more!). The most recently published chapter was #22.

joined Dec 13, 2022

If you wanted another term to use instead of "suggestive", "on the nose" is a term that means "very obvious/lacking in subtext".

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Ok. Grandma rocks, possibly literally, but definitely figuratively.

And honestly, not liking anything is a pretty drab and sad existence - only driven by the avoidance of death and pain. If this is meant as an allegory to something, perhaps it's depression? Given the japanese attitude towards mental health, and how depressed people often excel at hiding their struggles, I can see it as more "monstrous" than merely sexuality.

After last chapter, I'm not so sure that she's being honest when she says she doesn't like anything or find anything cute. After all, if she didn't like anything, why would she have come out of the desert and what was that shining light she was walking towards?

I think she had something she cared about, deeply, but then she lost it. The real question is does she realize she's lying and why is she lying? Is she trying to convince her self? Trying to apply a "Monstrous tag" to herself for Itou's sake? To try and drive her off? To appeal to her love of monsters? To try and put some distance between them to make it easier to eat her? I really want to see where this goes.

The artstyle and the topic, obviously, has me going all shadow star and wondering if the monster will eat all (other?) humans in the end and they live together in an empty earth.

It's not yuri, but have you read BIBLIOMANIA?

To reply you must either login or sign up.