Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

joined May 3, 2014

even god damn Twilight had better Relationship progression to Romantic Relationship that whatever this shite is supposed to be between Aki/Shiho? I’m a supposed to be all gooygooy with their supposed “romance”??? even Thanos with the infinity glove couldn't hand fisted the supposed romance, yeah nop I’m dropping the manga here I will rather rewatch all the Twilight movies to forget this manga existed.

I’m just praying to all gay gods that Yuri Is My Job, stops fallowing in the footsteps of this manga, cuz good god I’m sick of Kanoko.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Honestly, the most unrealistic thing in this series is the fact that Aki felt in love with Yori instead of Shiho. I wonder what kind of thought process went through her head to make that happen.

Well, Aki instantly fell in love with Yori's singing, but I think Aki's dynamic was also a bit different with Shiho from the start. Yori has a shy and awkward side, but isn't particularly troubled, so Aki could idolize her for her voice with not much getting in the way of this infatuation.

On the other hand Shiho carried deeper vulnerabilities, and didn't hide them very well, so Aki was compelled to take her under her wing, instead of idolizing her. The vibe I get is that Aki used to regard Shiho akin to a little sister she wanted to take care of, and only started seeing her in a different light when Shiho confessed to her, post-fallout.

Though Aki already has a real little sister, of course I don't mean that she saw Shiho as a literal blood relative. Rather that the feelings she has held for Shiho have an oddly gentle and warm foundation, which we could just call platonic, but feel kind of intense for the relatively short time they were close friends. (Compare the old school Yuri trope of sisterly relationships between senpai and kouhai, aka Class S culture.)

Some people seem to want to pathologize the way Aki is so quick to suggest taking the plunge with dating, calling it a desperate attempt at keeping Shiho close. But notice how Aki is not very isolated, and has a number of friends looking out for her. If Aki is desperate, then it's because she regrets letting her go back then, and doesn't want to repeat that mistake. Isn't there more than just desperation here? Rather than just keeping Shiho around as a friend, Aki seems to almost yearn for Shiho's presence. Even after their fallout, she never truly hated Shiho, and never stopped missing her.

I'm not saying that Aki has always been in love with Shiho, but she has always held deep feelings of some kind. Though her thoughts in these latest chapters have been left mostly unstated, it's pretty clear to me that by now an attraction has mixed into those feelings. Just look at her face when she was going in for a kiss. None of those thoughts are in the Bible.

I guess this was a long winded way of saying that some things needed to change to enable Aki to see her on again of again bestie in a different light.

last edited at Mar 30, 2024 3:34PM

Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

even god damn Twilight had better Relationship progression to Romantic Relationship that whatever this shite is supposed to be between Aki/Shiho? I’m a supposed to be all gooygooy with their supposed “romance”??? even Thanos with the infinity glove couldn't hand fisted the supposed romance, yeah nop I’m dropping the manga here I will rather rewatch all the Twilight movies to forget this manga existed.

I’m just praying to all gay gods that Yuri Is My Job, stops fallowing in the footsteps of this manga, cuz good god I’m sick of Kanoko.

Hahahahaha. This is utterly horrific but fascinating at the same time.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Honestly, the most unrealistic thing in this series is the fact that Aki felt in love with Yori instead of Shiho. I wonder what kind of thought process went through her head to make that happen.

Well, Aki instantly fell in love with Yori's singing, but I think Aki's dynamic was also a bit different with Shiho from the start. Yori has a shy and awkward side, but isn't particularly troubled, so Aki could idolize her for her voice with not much getting in the way of this infatuation.

On the other hand Shiho carried deeper vulnerabilities, and didn't hide them very well, so Aki was compelled to take her under her wing, instead of idolizing her. The vibe I get is that Aki used to regard Shiho akin to a little sister she wanted to take care of, and only started seeing her in a different light when Shiho confessed to her, post-fallout.

Though Aki already has a real little sister, of course I don't mean that she saw Shiho as a literal blood relative. Rather that the feelings she has held for Shiho have an oddly gentle and warm foundation, which we could just call platonic, but feel kind of intense for the relatively short time they were close friends. (Compare the old school Yuri trope of sisterly relationships between senpai and kouhai, aka Class S culture.)

Some people seem to want to pathologize the way Aki is so quick to suggest taking the plunge with dating, calling it a desperate attempt at keeping Shiho close. But notice how Aki is not very isolated, and has a number of friends looking out for her. If Aki is desperate, then it's because she regrets letting her go back then, and doesn't want to repeat that mistake. Isn't there more than just desperation here? Rather than just keeping Shiho around as a friend, Aki seems to almost yearn for Shiho's presence. Even after their fallout, she never truly hated Shiho, and never stopped missing her.

I'm not saying that Aki has always been in love with Shiho, but she has always held deep feelings of some kind. Though her thoughts in these latest chapters have been left mostly unstated, it's pretty clear to me that by now an attraction has mixed into those feelings. Just look at her face when she was going in for a kiss. None of those thoughts are in the Bible.

I guess this was a long winded way of saying that some things needed to change to enable Aki to see her on again of again bestie in a different light.

This was interesting. Enjoyed hearing your thoughts. They're in line with some of my own, especially regarding their current relationship. Looking forward to more development from the leading couples, AkiShiho and YoriHima.

last edited at Mar 30, 2024 4:46PM

G
joined Jan 12, 2021

I NEED MORE!

joined Feb 11, 2022

I mean, we can discuss it in more depth in the respective thread of the series, but it seems like an inaccurate comparison to me (spoilers up to Volume 13): I assume you are referring to the relationship between Kanoko and Sumika? If that's the case, well, I dislike her too, but it can't be denied that the author has dedicated a lot of time to said couple (as of today, even more than to the "main" one) and, more importantly, has distributed it equally between both members, contrary to what happens here, where Shiho was in the spotlight almost exclusively compared to Aki, which contributes to why her decision to try to start dating her seems unsatisfactory and hasty to me.

The vibe I get is that Aki used to regard Shiho akin to a little sister she wanted to take care of, and only started seeing her in a different light when Shiho confessed to her, post-fallout.

And that's my main issue, that she didn't take the time to better organize her thoughts and analyze the situation. It seems to me that it was the perfect time to let that couple rest for a while and focus on other things instead of making them start dating right away.
Perhaps another solution would have been for the author to dedicate more time to Aki during the Arc, although that would have made it even longer.

SchroCatDinger
Takodachi_slime_bocchi_by_walkman0_dg1rfr9-pre
joined Feb 18, 2021

I just check your posts and holy shite why tf are you so mad at everything? What's wrong with your life?

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Shiho kinda sucks huh? I like her. She's a breath of fresh air. I liked her whole arc because she really causes a lot of problems for everyone by being immature and constantly standing in her own way. It makes her feel the most human of the cast. Pushing herself to gradually suck less as a person is a cool and relatable journey.

joined May 9, 2017

Shiho kinda sucks huh? I like her. She's a breath of fresh air. I liked her whole arc because she really causes a lot of problems for everyone by being immature and constantly standing in her own way. It makes her feel the most human of the cast. Pushing herself to gradually suck less as a person is a cool and relatable journey.

I do agree with you, but the main issue was the length of this narrative arc, not necessarily Shiho herself, at least for me. That and the reversal of Aki's feelings being a bit quick. Not that I don't like that development between the two of them, it's more a question of timing. I still so again the manga though.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Very nice. ^_^

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

This series is about to get an anime, so let's discuss AkiShiho couple a bit
1/ Shiho in my country doesn't seem to have any antis, on Facebook or websites reading yuri manga, there are only comments praising her for being cute, tsundere or feeling sorry for her, but no one scolds her at all. On foreign forums, I see that almost every chapter with Shiho has people saying this and that. Many people threaten to drop the story if it focuses on Shiho anymore (I don't know if it will really be dropped, but every chapter sees it). I don't know if my taste in my country is different than in foreign countries or what.
2/ Is Aki making a hasty decision when Yori (ex-crush) has just had a girlfriend for a few months and has already decided to date (to test her feeling) with Shiho. What I mean is that Aki had just fallen in love, then found out about her ex-friend's feelings, and just after becoming friends again, she decided to go on a date. So if Aki still can't fall in love after dating, Shiho will be twice as hurt. I don't know if the author plans to continue writing AkoShiho's arc, because right now I don't see Aki having any romantic feelings for Shiho. The time Shiho left, Aki only felt angry because she was betrayed, upset because she didn't know the real reason why Shiho left. After that, Aki learned about Shiho's feelings, plus Yori had a girlfriend (Aki still had to test to see if he had ended his love with Yori or not) before deciding to date (to test her feeling) with Shiho. I think if Yori didn't have a girlfriend, Aki would probably refuse when she found out that Shiho had feelings for her. Therefore, there should be one more arc for the AkiShiho couple to develop their relationship, stopping here would seem too awkward.

joined Sep 10, 2022

This series is about to get an anime, so let's discuss AkiShiho couple a bit
1/ Shiho in my country doesn't seem to have any antis, on Facebook or websites reading yuri manga, there are only comments praising her for being cute, tsundere or feeling sorry for her, but no one scolds her at all. On foreign forums, I see that almost every chapter with Shiho has people saying this and that. Many people threaten to drop the story if it focuses on Shiho anymore (I don't know if it will really be dropped, but every chapter sees it). I don't know if my taste in my country is different than in foreign countries or what.
2/ Is Aki making a hasty decision when Yori (ex-crush) has just had a girlfriend for a few months and has already decided to date (to test her feeling) with Shiho. What I mean is that Aki had just fallen in love, then found out about her ex-friend's feelings, and just after becoming friends again, she decided to go on a date. So if Aki still can't fall in love after dating, Shiho will be twice as hurt. I don't know if the author plans to continue writing AkoShiho's arc, because right now I don't see Aki having any romantic feelings for Shiho. The time Shiho left, Aki only felt angry because she was betrayed, upset because she didn't know the real reason why Shiho left. After that, Aki learned about Shiho's feelings, plus Yori had a girlfriend (Aki still had to test to see if he had ended his love with Yori or not) before deciding to date (to test her feeling) with Shiho. I think if Yori didn't have a girlfriend, Aki would probably refuse when she found out that Shiho had feelings for her. Therefore, there should be one more arc for the AkiShiho couple to develop their relationship, stopping here would seem too awkward.

Your first point is something I've discussed before to varying success. As for your second point: I don't agree with a lot of it but the author has AkiShiho and YoriHima as her two main couples and will continue developing them both as she's already been doing. She reiterated this again in one of her recent afterwards. So, no worries there.

last edited at Apr 9, 2024 7:47AM

G
joined Jan 12, 2021

Today is Aki's birthday (April 12) and tomorrow the anime will air (April 13).

The time Shiho left, Aki only felt angry because she was betrayed, upset because she didn't know the real reason why Shiho left. After that, Aki learned about Shiho's feelings, plus Yori had a girlfriend (Aki still had to test to see if he had ended his love with Yori or not) before deciding to date (to test her feeling) with Shiho. I think if Yori didn't have a girlfriend, Aki would probably refuse when she found out that Shiho had feelings for her. Therefore, there should be one more arc for the AkiShiho couple to develop their relationship, stopping here would seem too awkward.

I don't think angry is the correct word there, it's more like upset. From my perspective, Aki was upset that Shiho left, she was never truly angry at Shiho because she still wanted to be friends.

Aki didn't know the real reason why Shiho left, but she wanted to believe Shiho was lying because to her, the moments they spent together were not fake. The "What if" about Yori not dating Himari could be true - though as we've seen, Aki had already lost her feelings for Yori, she just didn't realize it and kept thinking she was still in love until she held Yori's hand. Did that happen because Himari appeared in the picture? Then again, Shiho did not stop loving Aki even after she realized that Aki was interested in Yori.

I don't think Aki was ever going to make a move on Yori in this highschool phase, especially since Yori came off to her as someone who doesn't "do love", so to speak. Actually, it's ironic how the senpais do not say their true feelings until they are pressured, while Himari, the kouhai, just said it to Yori without fear. But I suppose this was one of the dramas early on where Himari was not sure if her love was a couple's love. Still, she said it, right? Compared to Shiho, who needed so much stress and frustration to build up to say it, and Aki, who never said it to Yori.

I think Aki's feelings for Shiho have always been strong, especially after Shiho left. In my opinion, Aki caught romantic feelings for Yori in a natural manner while Shiho was still present, meaning that Shiho did not impress her heart just by "being there". Once Aki lost both Yori (to Himari) and Shiho (her leaving), she kept chasing Shiho but not Yori. Aki could absolutely have been a villain of sorts in this story and attempted to jeopardize Yori's relationship, but she chose to let it go. Does this mean that Aki is just nice? Or does it mean that her love is not that strong? Does she just want to have Yori by her side? If she truly was in love, wouldn't she at the very least have confessed after Himari came into play?

Meanwhile, whenever the topic is about Shiho, Aki goes out of her way to attempt to get her back. She becomes stubborn, annoying (to Shiho), and just puts herself in front of Shiho. She is not afraid to tell her that she wants her back, and after Shiho confessed, her feelings became all scrambled. I think she might even see a little of herself in Shiho, since she also hid her feelings from Yori.

The vibe I get is that Aki used to regard Shiho akin to a little sister she wanted to take care of, and only started seeing her in a different light when Shiho confessed to her, post-fallout.

It's like this, basically. Aki started seeing Shiho as a "woman" after she confessed, hence why she was not afraid to kiss her at the beach. I think her strong feelings of wanting Shiho to be around coupled with Shiho's confession will make Aki fall in love with Shiho. Not to mention that she gets to see Shiho embarassed (cute) and finally being honest, like when Aki asked her if she is in love at the beach... and Shiho just said it without fear.

Aki will finally meet the real Shiho, a Shiho only she can see.

last edited at Apr 14, 2024 2:14AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Aki will finally meet the real Shiho, a Shiho only she can see.

You've certainly got that right.

joined Sep 10, 2022

I think Aki's feelings for Shiho have always been strong, especially after Shiho left. In my opinion, Aki caught romantic feelings for Yori in a natural manner while Shiho was still present, meaning that Shiho did not impress her heart just by "being there". Once Aki lost both Yori (to Himari) and Shiho (her leaving), she kept chasing Shiho but not Yori. Aki could absolutely have been a villain of sorts in this story and attempted to jeopardize Yori's relationship, but she chose to let it go. Does this mean that Aki is just nice? Or does it mean that her love is not that strong? Does she just want to have Yori by her side? If she truly was in love, wouldn't she at the very least have confessed after Himari came into play?

Meanwhile, whenever the topic is about Shiho, Aki goes out of her way to attempt to get her back. She becomes stubborn, annoying (to Shiho), and just puts herself in front of Shiho. She is not afraid to tell her that she wants her back, and after Shiho confessed, her feelings became all scrambled. I think she might even see a little of herself in Shiho, since she also hid her feelings from Yori.

Nothing to add (and not really responding to what I've quoted) but wanted to say I agree with your discussion of their relationship, especially of Aki's feelings. Your breakdown mostly mirrors my feelings about them and my understanding of Aki's consistent pursuit of Shiho.

last edited at Apr 12, 2024 11:52AM

62342532_p4_3
joined May 27, 2015

https://youtu.be/8D2ih-L8XOs?si=qvDNmKXSM8bFyXm9

Also, the first episode of the anime has just finished airing

joined Jun 3, 2020

Going back to the discussion about how much the anime is adapting for a minute, the opening (which played as the ending for the first episode) more or less confirmed we are at least reaching Volume 4.

joined Feb 20, 2016

My most awaited yuri anime adaptation is finally here. Now, I love the manga but the problem with manga about music is, well, you can't hear the music.
Yori's singing voice is really soothing. No wonder Himari fell for her (voice).

joined Mar 15, 2015

Unfortunately, this anime doesn't seem to be on Crunchyroll, which is a shame, since I'm thinking about going back there to watch a few other series. Apparently, it's only on HIDIVE.

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

Why is the title of the manga "Whispering YOU a Love Song", but in the anime it becomes "Whispering ME a Love Song"?

joined Sep 10, 2022

Why is the title of the manga "Whispering YOU a Love Song", but in the anime it becomes "Whispering ME a Love Song"?

It's actually "Whisper" not "Whispering."

"Whispering You a Love Song" is an unofficial translation. Official translation is "Whisper Me a Love Song." I prefer the official version since it's presumably from Hima's POV (and eventually Shiho's). Either title works though.

last edited at Apr 17, 2024 11:31AM

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ this.

Yeah, by technicality, both tls of the title get to be correct, depending from which characters' POV it's being said.

last edited at Apr 17, 2024 3:31PM

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

"Whispering You a Love Song" is an unofficial translation. Official translation is "Whisper Me a Love Song." I prefer the official version since it's presumably from Hima's POV (and eventually Shiho's). Either title works though.

Thank you for your explanation. But why is "Whispering You a Love Song" an unofficial translation, when it also appears on the cover of the Japanese version?

joined Sep 10, 2022

Thank you for your explanation. But why is "Whispering You a Love Song" an unofficial translation, when it also appears on the cover of the Japanese version?

That's not the official English translation. JP will often have an English translation or alternative title/sub-title of their own but that doesn't always carry over.

last edited at Apr 17, 2024 9:43PM

joined Feb 11, 2022

That's not the official English translation. JP will often have an English translation or alternative title/sub-title of their own but that doesn't always carry over.

Some of them even have wrong translations, like in Kimi ga Shinu Made Koi wo Shitai's case: The English translation shown on the Japanese covers is "My Wish is Fall in Love Until You Die". There have been 7 volumes released so far and they haven't added the missing "to" yet. By the way, the manga has been localized by Kodansha and its official English title will be "I Want to Love You Till Your Dying Day". Hopefully it'll have an anime adaptation someday as well.

To reply you must either login or sign up.