Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

My only real complaint is with some of the music. There are some parts that feel off, like the transformation scenes in the first episode. The music there was way too subtle, almost unnoticeable. Transformations should have music that fits the mood!

Logo-ubuntu_st_no%c2%ae-white-hex
joined Apr 23, 2013

The series is basically Shonen Gaze Directed at Magical Girls, the plot is already at the "making it up as it comes along" phase, and this is unlikely to be a series that anyone would show their friends with so much nudity and cheap lewdness. You keep the costs low, sell to the same demos who bought the manga and make a mint.

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

The hottest chapter in the manga, chapter 10, is already on air, the studio also has the heart to make a story that is not in the manga for this episode alone. Explain why Utena likes mahou shoujo so much, let Kiwi go on a trip, add Azul's mental struggle, and the fight scene also has more tricks than the manga. I think the stage on panda is a bit quick, but I understand that if I concentrate more, it will become 18+. But when Azul begged, it was beyond expectations, her voice acting was extremely excellent, it sounded extremely sexy.
Oh and the villain of ss1 is already on air, uhm, we should call it the villain of the villain, right? Along with that is the debut of the second OTP pair in this series: the bottom couple Loco x Leber. Now all I need to do is wait to hear Loco's ridiculous song :V :V :V

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yo, at this point, the author seems to just be straight up trolling us. :D "Look, it's just a filler chapter about Baiser and Kiwi messing with Tres Magia again... psych, it's actually the start of the Dark Magenta arc! ...except psych! It's actually about Alice having a robot kid with Utena, and she is now part of Enormeeta! Arc over, see you next time!"

...I am not complaining, just pointing things out. :-)

last edited at Feb 20, 2024 7:53AM

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Will Roboko be staying in Nachtbase now? Also dom magenta is so fine.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Yo, at this point, the author seems to just be straight up trolling us. :D "Look, it's just a filler chapter about Baiser and Kiwi messing with Tres Magia again... psych, it's actually the start of the Dark Magenta arc! ...except psych! It's actually about Alice having a robot kid with Utena, and she is now part of Enormeeta! Arc over, see you next time!"

...I am not complaining, just pointing things out. :-)

That is a wonderful explanation of how all our expectations were railroaded, haha.

It was indeed a fun ride.

joined Oct 12, 2021

My god, how does this keep getting better and better? Now they just went and MADE a new character themselves. Literally with the power of friendship and magic! Also, every expression Korisu has in this chapter is amazing; it's so fun to see her in the spotlight every time it happens. And can't forget about Nemo's childish excitement at seeing a cool robot with detachable limbs. What an awesome chapter.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Did they just got a mutha fliping, Finfunnel, Gundam Girl!?

joined Jun 3, 2020

Did they just got a mutha fliping, Finfunnel, Gundam Girl!?

Yes, we did. I call her Turn X-chan.

Opera_kbgmgd7ulr
joined Feb 8, 2024

Roboko cuuute.

Korisu's toys turning into a new member was not what I expected at all. After last chapter I was sure I'd be sad whenever she was forced to use them, but leave it to Mahoako to surprise in the best of ways.

And now both sides have equal members again, I'm excited to see how the dynamics will change.

Img_20201022_045044
joined Oct 24, 2018

Is this a motherfucking touhou reference

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Another unexpected twist, this time quite lovely. Certainly did not expect her to become a permanent addition to the team. ^_^

Ekran%20g%c3%b6r%c3%bcnt%c3%bcs%c3%bc%20(956)
joined Sep 26, 2020

That was a surprise to be sure but a welcomed one!

Aizawa-san
joined May 25, 2018

I've only had Roboko for a day and a half but if anything happened to her I would kill everyone in this thread and then myself.

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

Wholesome is the last thing I'd stay in reference to some of the chapters in this manga but I'll say, this is one of the most wholesome shit I've read in a while. ;-;

Fb_img_1506323085663
joined Apr 2, 2017

Okay, only character i can accept overpowering La verita Baiser is Dark la verita Magenta since she has part of Baiser berserker magic after all.
But yeah, right now no one else can, Baiser la verita just spawns (really hard to break) webs in front of your face and you lost already lol

joined Oct 13, 2014

what a twist

Yukari%20sweet%20-%20copy
joined Nov 24, 2016

Dear gods I love this so fucking much

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Okay, only character i can accept overpowering La verita Baiser is Dark la verita Magenta since she has part of Baiser berserker magic after all.
But yeah, right now no one else can, Baiser la verita just spawns (really hard to break) webs in front of your face and you lost already lol

Baiser is already OP AF. The only reason Tres Magia even still exist is that Utena loves them too much to really hurt them. If she ever got really serious... well, we saw what happened when she accidentally went berserk.

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

The hottest chapter in the manga, chapter 10, is already on air, the studio also has the heart to make a story that is not in the manga for this episode alone. Explain why Utena likes mahou shoujo so much, let Kiwi go on a trip, add Azul's mental struggle, and the fight scene also has more tricks than the manga. I think the stage on panda is a bit quick, but I understand that if I concentrate more, it will become 18+. But when Azul begged, it was beyond expectations, her voice acting was extremely excellent, it sounded extremely sexy.
Oh and the villain of ss1 is already on air, uhm, we should call it the villain of the villain, right? Along with that is the debut of the second OTP pair in this series: the bottom couple Loco x Leber. Now all I need to do is wait to hear Loco's ridiculous song :V :V :V

I both agree and disagree about the anime; I think the voice acting is fantastic but the pacing and directing is severely lacking. Azul's begging was acted amazingly but the scene was completely devoid of omph and flow in presentation, looking and feeling more like just any other scene flying by rather than the arguable APEX of the entire series that it actually is.

I remember the early 2000's animes, when the big important scenes had intentionally slower pacing, musical crescendos, creative angles to frame events with the gravitas they deserved and it made them stand out as major memorable happenings, but modern anime to me have this persistent issue of everything just kinda zooming by at the same pace, more like they're just stating that these things happened and moving on than really telling the events with emotion or weight.

Remember in Naruto, the first time he uses the Fox's chakra against Haku and we get like solid MINUTES of just different shots slowly building up his transformation and the changes his body's going through before he revs up and explodes with violence? A modern anime would've just shown him with red eyes and then gone right into the action, and I feel like that's the same approach this manga's anime has.

last edited at Feb 21, 2024 7:43AM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I both agree and disagree about the anime; I think the voice acting is fantastic but the pacing and directing is severely lacking. Azul's begging was acted amazingly but the scene was completely devoid of omph and flow in presentation, looking and feeling more like just any other scene flying by rather than the arguable APEX of the entire series that it actually is.

I remember the early 2000's animes, when the big important scenes had intentionally slower pacing, musical crescendos, creative angles to frame events with the gravitas they deserved and it made them stand out as major memorable happenings, but modern anime to me have this persistent issue of everything just kinda zooming by at the same pace, more like they're just stating that these things happened and moving on than really telling the events with emotion or weight.

Remember in Naruto, the first time he uses the Fox's chakra against Haku and we get like solid MINUTES of just different shots slowly building up his transformation and the changes his body's going through before he revs up and explodes with violence? A modern anime would've just shown him with red eyes and then gone right into the action, and I feel like that's the same approach this manga's anime has.

Naruto also has it's issues, and it's a series that had a bit too much leeway with time considering the filler issue. That's the other side, nothing is perfect. I think there are modern anime that are great, that do have proper pacing and directing. Though every piece of media has varying issues as there's no such thing as the perfect media, plus opinions and mileage will vary depending on the viewer. So I don't think issues that this anime adaption has are just a "all modern anime suck" thing, so much as it's a smaller budget production and they're trying their best to get it out there with the limitations that they have. It's kind of insane that they're able to even make the anime to begin with, given the content of the source material, and the source material to my knowledge wasn't doing big sale numbers leading up to the anime. Of course that doesn't free the anime of critique, as there are things that could be better. However I don't think everything with this adaption would be fixed if it was made 20 years ago, especially as rose-tinted glasses with nostalgia is definitely an aspect at play when we look back.

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

Awwwww.

Betcha the robot has 'adult parts' eventually.

joined May 29, 2021
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Caught up with the last few chapters and Creator Alice winning the game about suffocated me. The talk about Cyan surprised me because I figured that's who Azul was supposed to be (endgame Baiser becomes Magia Black for real?). The ASMR thing having no effect on Magenta was worth a good laugh. Roboko must be protected at all costs (I feel like she'll be involved in fixing Dark Magenta in a big way...)

On the anime front, the voice work is immaculate (I adore how perfectly Izumi Fuuka expresses Utena's Wet Cat Energy AND Baiser's crazy), but the animation really needed a bunch of professional perverts like Studio Bind to give it lube love because it's subpar even by low-effort anime standards. Good faces, though; character and colour designer did well.

last edited at Feb 24, 2024 2:51AM

Untitled-compressed
joined Jun 5, 2023

They got it perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPavPqtuGc

Kiwi commented correctly. Besides the vocals being worse than the worst, the lyrics are also extremely ridiculous and cringe-inducing. I guarantee that 10 years from now, when Loco listens to this song again, she will want to go back to the past and punch her in the face while composing this song
P/s: The "Arigatou" part right after Loco finishes singing is quite funny too
Edit: Why do I think Loco's bad song in ep 8 sounds better than the one in ep 9? Have I been brainwashed by Loco

last edited at Mar 7, 2024 9:00PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.