Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

"men are rarely the target audience" seems unlikely too.

Do you read the notes for the readers? I mean the ones the mangaka ladies write in their yuri manga?
I remember a truckload that are adressed to girls. I can't remember even one that's adressed to boys.

joined Apr 10, 2023

They tend not to be all that gendered in my experience? I can't actually remember seeing one off the top of my head that specifically assumes all the readers are women

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

They tend not to be all that gendered in my experience? I can't actually remember seeing one off the top of my head that specifically assumes all the readers are women

In my experience The only real gendering that pops up across Yuri works is a lack of real male characters, usually no more than one not counting antagonists, they are usually absent or cardboard annoyances

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

The easiest way to find which is the intended readership for a work of manga is to find what the mangaka has to say about that.

This makes me think of the afterword in the first volume of The saga of Tanya the Evil. Which is something to the effect of: "What are you doing here? Why did you buy this book? And who in their right mind decided to publish it? My Book is strange and unusual ,The world is upside down! But now that you are here, welcome and enjoy the ride

Slime
joined Feb 22, 2023

For example, teaching them about materning children, or what to do if you're a woman driving a car and an angry guy who hates female drivers gets mad at you and targets you.

Another example off the top of my head, the author of 'Asumi-chan' giving the readers tips on online lesbian brothels and how they work irl.

joined Jun 10, 2023

For example, teaching them about materning children, or what to do if you're a woman driving a car and an angry guy who hates female drivers gets mad at you and targets you.

Ah that's Kosuzume! I remember, a road-raging woman-hating old guy harrassed her.

Another example off the top of my head, the author of 'Asumi-chan' giving the readers tips on online lesbian brothels and how they work irl.

Haha, Itsuki Kuro's talks are always like that, like she's naturally talking to lesbians or bi girls.

I think that, in the end, the point of which is the intended audience of yuri doesn't really has any effect on who can enjoy it or not. It's the same as with love poetry. Who cares if it wasn't written with you in mind? William Faulkner was in love with a married woman named Estelle Franklin and wrote for her 14 love poems which he then bound by hand into a booklet and presented to her. These poems were intended for Estelle only; nobody else was supposed to read them! (Especially not her husband!) However twenty years after Faulkner's death the poems were published as part of his complete works, and today anyone can read them and enjoy them.

Yuri is like shoujo manga (where it was born) in that most authors are girls who intend to write for other girls. And just like there are many boys and men who like reading shoujo manga, there's also a huge male readership for yuri—between 40% and 50% according to the data we have. And it's just fine! The authors create yuri manga for girls like them, so what? Of course anyone can read and like it!

last edited at Nov 21, 2023 10:27PM

joined May 30, 2022

Ah that's Kosuzume! I remember, a road-raging woman-hating old guy harrassed her.

Haha, Itsuki Kuro's talks are always like that, like she's naturally talking to lesbians or bi girls.

I think that, in the end, the point of which is the intended audience of yuri doesn't really has any effect on who can enjoy it or not. It's the same as with love poetry. Who cares if it wasn't written with you in mind? William Faulkner was in love with a married woman named Estelle Franklin and wrote for her 14 love poems which he then bound by hand into a booklet and presented to her. These poems were intended for Estelle only; nobody else was supposed to read them! (Especially not her husband!) However twenty years after Faulkner's death the poems were published as part of his complete works, and today anyone can read them and enjoy them.

Yuri is like shoujo manga (where it was born) in that most authors are girls who intend to write for other girls. And just like there are many boys and men who like reading shoujo manga, there's also a huge male readership for yuri—between 40% and 50% according to the data we have. And it's just fine! The authors create yuri manga for girls like them, so what? Of course anyone can read and like it!

But my data comes from China and Taiwan is just 30% males, in an essay

joined May 30, 2022

Ohh yeah, this is the good stuff! It's the secret dream of any red-blooded man to have a sex pro give everything to you for free because she can't resist your manliness! Replace "red-blooded man" with "scumbag filly" and "manliness" with "cuteness" and there you go.

Makino's living the dream! Go gurl!

Hell fucking yeah, just replace it. And I will even go further, I wanna see more red-blooded females and women with manliness in Manga.

joined Jan 19, 2021

Regarding this discussion, I lived in Japan for quite a while and in my observation both men and women consume yuri content but the types of yuri they consume tend to vary.

Men usually being more into, maybe contrary to expectations??? stuff that is much more moe oriented fluff and class S type stuff (or, yes, smut, but those are two different demographics of male fans!). A lot of the yuri and yuri adjacent series liked by men were more of the 4koma type comedy cute girls doing cute things vibe like Yuru Yuri, or series like Madoka with yuri undertones but not so much explicit romance content. In general cute stuff with cute girls they can ship with each other, it's tied with moe culture. Yuri is seen as more pure and lets them play with romance tropes without ruining the cgdct atmosphere with male characters. See also, idols are allowed to yuribait and flirt with each other all they want and the fans love it, but god forbid any of them talks to a man or gets a boyfriend.

On the other hand, more romance oriented series and dramas are primarily consumed by women, which isn't really a surprise right? Given that romance in general tends to be a very stereotypically female-oriented genre to begin with. Especially one about queer women with no male PoV character. Yuri stems from shoujo after all. Also, you can just tell usually when reading a manga right, when it's being written by a woman for women, it just has a vibe. Like I could imagine someone ignorantly looking at Asumi-chan and assuming it's meant for men based on the premise but when you read it it's just so clearly girlcoded in an unquantifiable way

When it comes to polls I think you have to really contextualize the conclusions you draw from them. Like we have to take into account sampling bias and also which yuri are being read by who. Depending on which specific type of yuri you're looking at the results are probably all over the board. Like I suspect there's a similar effect happening to the "women are the majority of gamers" polls, where it might be true but a lot of those women are mostly just playing mobile games and 400 hours of Animal Crossing, while when you look at the more 'hardcore' gamers as we traditionally imagine the idea, it skews male instead. And when it comes to online polls, I imagine they skew more male than the average too just because users on manga websites in general probably skew more male than the average.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Isn't this, like, the biggest "f*ck off" to Makino's mom the two of them could have delivered? She gets Mashiro fired... and Mashiro just doesn't care, and instead gets to work directly with Makino. Sure, a waitress is not nearly as good a job as a tutor, but Mashiro does not seem to have ever cared about work prestige, anyway, has she?

last edited at Dec 11, 2023 2:13PM

Cut%20out%20avater
joined May 25, 2023

gotta say, really enjoying the chapters lately^^

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Isn't this, like, the biggest "f*ck off" to Makino's mom the two of them could have delivered? She gets Mashiro fired... and Mashiro just doesn't care, and instead gets to work directly with Makino. Sure, a waitress is not nearly as good a job as a tutor, but Mashiro does not seem to have ever cared about work prestige, anyway, has she?

It's the ultimate "fuck you," for sure. For Makino, she just failed upwards, and Mashiro is once again the calmest, most understanding person in this manga.

last edited at Dec 11, 2023 3:22PM

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Scummy must be living alone now because she is not mention her mother

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Scummy must be living alone now because she is not mention her mother

As of chapter 59, her and Mashiro are living together.

last edited at Dec 11, 2023 3:26PM

joined Feb 1, 2021

A maid cafe. Somehow we all knew it would come to this.

(and of course the author has been to one herself lol)

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

So good to see Makino make progress in her life even if her main motivation is because she's horny.

joined May 10, 2021

Well, they got back on their feet quite quickly huh. Not that I'm complaining, both didn't care for the toxic mum tyranny lmao.
I do wonder what kind of wall they'll both hit next tho.
Thanks for the chapter!

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Well OF COURSE that's how this would play out! Laughing my head off over here!

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

So that makes both daughters who have left the house and are living on their own (or rather, with their girlfriends) for good, thus giving the middle finger to their toxic parents. Excellent.

joined Feb 20, 2023

Well, they got back on their feet quite quickly huh. Not that I'm complaining, both didn't care for the toxic mum tyranny lmao.
I do wonder what kind of wall they'll both hit next tho.
Thanks for the chapter!

An advantage of having a yuri story with two adults is that they aren't legally bound to their parents ^_^

joined Jul 1, 2020

Bets on how long Makino holds this job before she is fired? Or will she fail upward by developing a following seeking her specifically for her disdain for them/doing her job (similar to that one other rich dude)

joined Apr 16, 2022

Makino just keeps winning. good for her

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I was trying to work out what kind of job a scumbag would be good at.
Oh, that works.
Well ... maybe. We'll have to see how she goes at the actual 'working' part.

last edited at Dec 12, 2023 4:59AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

I was expecting them to fight with the evil parents and try to save Mashiro's job, so for them to instead just leave and go start a "Yuri Is My Job" crossover is fascinating and a way better turn for the story lol.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

I love that Makino's main reason to find a new job together was to spend more time with Mashiro, rather than being against her doing sex work.

To reply you must either login or sign up.