Forum › Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko! discussion

C0947de7-7a05-45f6-b936-7324bb0fa409
joined May 18, 2019

There was serious cooking in this chapter fr

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

That coworker Kumi is a real one. I love allies like her. I had no doubts about Yuuya either, he always seemed like a good egg, but I like Kumi's anger.

Also, the bisexual woman that approached Ayaka alone also didn't seem to have any bad intentions, at least from that short conversation, I'm not sure why that was treated the same as everything else.

Kumi seems so cool.

And I think with the bi person - they're acting as if this is Ayaka's first time experiencing the emotional rush of finding out you're queer. "I've dated a few women, I settled for men, I know what to expect and can tell you." And from their POV that's what this might be. But we as the audience know that's not true, so their intentions seem more genuine than Ayaka assumes.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Queer allies? In MY manga? It's more likely than you think.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

That coworker Kumi is a real one. I love allies like her. I had no doubts about Yuuya either, he always seemed like a good egg, but I like Kumi's anger.

Also, the bisexual woman that approached Ayaka alone also didn't seem to have any bad intentions, at least from that short conversation, I'm not sure why that was treated the same as everything else.

Kumi seems so cool.

And I think with the bi person - they're acting as if this is Ayaka's first time experiencing the emotional rush of finding out you're queer. "I've dated a few women, I settled for men, I know what to expect and can tell you." And from their POV that's what this might be. But we as the audience know that's not true, so their intentions seem more genuine than Ayaka assumes.

I think you're reading into it. I don't think she said she's settled for men, nor did she imply it. I agree that from Ayaka's POV it's not useful or helpful, but it felt like the manga chapter was putting it in line with the other examples that were genuinely bad. I mean, first, she approached Ayaka one-on-one which is already better than 99% of other people, and she approached her from the perspective of support, as in she's in the community and accepts her for who she is. Even if she got it wrong about Ayaka, I still think that was a genuinely sweet thing.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Shit, now that people aren't immediately being thrown in jail for being gay, you see gay people all the time. I wonder why that is.

Surely it must be for some Sinister Reason.

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

Jesus hecking christ ch18 is ON FIRE

joined Dec 20, 2013

love the conclusion of the chapter... it shows why people use armor and protect themselves from other, but also what you lose by never removing it...

last edited at Jul 8, 2023 1:41AM

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

There's exactly only one thought going on behind those eyes...

chaosOrchestrator
joined Jul 10, 2015

a surprisingly introspective and melancholy chapter, all things considered.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

love the conclusion of the chapter... it shows why people use armor and protect themselves from other, but also what you lose by never removing it...

Also shows that trauma is a not a pathology, but an adaptive survival mechanism that turns maladaptive over time, as the situation and the environment change, but the survival behaviors don't.

last edited at Jul 8, 2023 5:59AM

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Incredible sociological insight. Discussing LGBTQ identities in Japan (in my experience) has been exactly like this, and it’s incredibly validating to see each of the layers so clearly laid out. The subtle but suffocating heteronormativity that permeated all conversations used to make me feel like I was going slightly insane, like maybe it actually WAS rude of me to assert that I was not straight. And this manga is just crushing it. Quickly flying to the top of my favorites list.

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

I think you're reading into it. I don't think she said she's settled for men, nor did she imply it. I agree that from Ayaka's POV it's not useful or helpful, but it felt like the manga chapter was putting it in line with the other examples that were genuinely bad. I mean, first, she approached Ayaka one-on-one which is already better than 99% of other people, and she approached her from the perspective of support, as in she's in the community and accepts her for who she is. Even if she got it wrong about Ayaka, I still think that was a genuinely sweet thing.

She didn't say that, but I feel like from Ayaka's POV that's what she can infer or something. It's definitely sweet but I think Ayaka's bluntness and dismissal is based off of things she's assuming about the people supporting her. She sees them as fake - and unfortunately for our bi hero, she gets lumped in.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Incredible sociological insight. Discussing LGBTQ identities in Japan (in my experience) has been exactly like this, and it’s incredibly validating to see each of the layers so clearly laid out. The subtle but suffocating heteronormativity that permeated all conversations used to make me feel like I was going slightly insane, like maybe it actually WAS rude of me to assert that I was not straight. And this manga is just crushing it. Quickly flying to the top of my favorites list.

Basically, professional gaslighting.

Also shows that trauma is a not a pathology, but an adaptive survival mechanism that turns maladaptive over time, as the situation and the environment change, but the survival behaviors don't.

Yeah, great observation! I enjoy that this manga touches on these issues rather directly and can spark these discussions and observations--all the while still being comedic. Dramedy for sure.

last edited at Jul 8, 2023 8:22AM

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

This hits hard, actually makes me think of all the overthinking, predisposition, and biases that I have made myself a victim of.

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

I never expected to see some of the most grounded and realistic character examinations of LGBT struggles in what is essentially a comedy GAG manga

joined Jun 9, 2023

When somebody creates something, usually they want people to enjoy it right?
I have never felt so much hatred towards a main character as I feel towards Hiroko.
Ayaka you truly deserve better.

last edited at Jul 8, 2023 2:52PM

joined Sep 10, 2022

On another subject, I can't recall if this was discussed before: I was just today rereading some older works by Sal Jiang and I was surprised to find that this one is like a oneshot version of Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko! Even the name of the main character is Ayaka, and she's an obvious prototype of the blonde we know and love. The senpai she likes is not really Hiroko, though. (She's much better.)

Oh right, had forgotten that one. Yeah that was a precursor one shot. I don't know if that was discussed in this thread though. I liked that one too, when I read it a while ago! It summarizes all the shenanigans that happens in this manga.

That version of Ayaka also talks about all her attempts to get her senpai to realize her flirting. The oneshot's events seem like her last straw (guess that version of Ayaka never busted down the office doors and declared her love). She even mentions the off the shoulder dress, which got mentioned in this recent newer chapter! Senpai still caring but not picking up on it. So, same two people but really cool to see Sal blow that up into a piece with more going on. You can see the intended natures of the characters there.

Forgot to mention this one is also about them (or early versions of them). Same dynamics: I Drew Some Yuri

last edited at Jul 8, 2023 3:57PM

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

On another subject, I can't recall if this was discussed before: I was just today rereading some older works by Sal Jiang and I was surprised to find that this one is like a oneshot version of Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko! Even the name of the main character is Ayaka, and she's an obvious prototype of the blonde we know and love. The senpai she likes is not really Hiroko, though. (She's much better.)

Oh right, had forgotten that one. Yeah that was a precursor one shot. I don't know if that was discussed in this thread though. I liked that one too, when I read it a while ago! It summarizes all the shenanigans that happens in this manga.

That version of Ayaka also talks about all her attempts to get her senpai to realize her flirting. The oneshot's events seem like her last straw (guess that version of Ayaka never busted down the office doors and declared her love). She even mentions the off the shoulder dress, which got mentioned in this recent newer chapter! Senpai still caring but not picking up on it. So, same two people but really cool to see Sal blow that up into a piece with more going on. You can see the intended natures of the characters there.

Forgot to mention this one is also about them (or early versions of them). Same dynamics: I Drew Some Yuri

It’s one of their multiverse variants.

joined Aug 23, 2011

Out of curiosity, what's the correct way to react if a coworker comes out like that?

Personally, I'm dead on the inside so would react with complete indifference and continue working.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Personally, I'm dead on the inside so would react with complete indifference and continue working.

Would be the perfect reaction in a perfect world, to be honest. Where this would get as much of a reaction as saying you're straight. Since it's still the same person, and it really should be seen as normal to be straight, gay, bi, whatever.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Out of curiosity, what's the correct way to react if a coworker comes out like that?

It's kind of unlikely to happen like this irl, so I wouldn't worry too much. But even if a coming out is less chaotic, I think continuing to treat that coworker with respect is more crucial than congratulating them after they came out.

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

You know I'm really enjoying this now, I'm glad the manga didn't just end with Hiroko and Ayaka hooking up after Ayaka came out at the office, it's great to see it acknowledging that Hiroko has her own issues that she needs to work through first.

joined Sep 10, 2022

Those bar friends are hilarious. Even they called out how wild it was for her to shout that in the office. They did sort of set up Ayaka, here but they probably didn't know how traumatic that experience was for Hiroko (she hides a lot of her feelings, after all). It's nice to know that the system didn't completely chew up Senpai. She landed on her feet and made something of herself. Plus: based on her experiences, she gives some solid advice, something no one else around Ayaka could give obviously.

last edited at Jul 13, 2023 2:24PM

joined Sep 23, 2022

Good

joined Sep 23, 2022

Amazing

To reply you must either login or sign up.