Forum › The Princess of Sylph discussion

Fjavttcwyaqbvef
joined Feb 3, 2023

Anyone know where I can read the webmanga? I'm super curious because ppl keep mentioning it here ;_;

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Anyone know where I can read the webmanga? I'm super curious because ppl keep mentioning it here ;_;

She has them on her twitter, for one.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

It's so refreshing seeing volume 1's chapters in normal human size instead of the postage stamps the web version gives me to work with.

Awesome. Really looking forward to whatever they do. They also said they don't think they handle emotional scenes well but I think they've done a wonderful job.

I get the feeling Kamejiro is pessimistic in general; the original had some powerful moments. There's a specific scene that comes to mind for pillar of my heart's payoff which will be devastating even if it's simply copy-pasted.

It's not translated, though here it is on the author's twitter. Heavy spoilers of course.

I won't say I'm not considering translating it, but it would take me a while. And I'm not sure how worth it that would be if the serialized version truly does end up being a greatly revised version of the same events.

joined Sep 10, 2022

I get the feeling Kamejiro is pessimistic in general; the original had some powerful moments. There's a specific scene that comes to mind for pillar of my heart's payoff which will be devastating even if it's simply copy-pasted.

I get that same idea and I share her feeling. I can only really speak for writers but you never feel like you're doing enough. Your stuck reading the things you wrote over and over again. Eventually it always sounds terrible even if everyone else says it's good, even if it's published. You're trying to evoke a certain thing that only you can know if you've achieved. I've found her thoughts on Twitter to be really relatable and they're a large reason for my increased interest in the series, honestly. Become a fan of the author maybe more than the work. I look forward to the moment you mentioned!

last edited at Jun 29, 2023 2:30PM

joined Mar 20, 2012

It's not translated, though here it is on the author's twitter. Heavy spoilers of course.

I won't say I'm not considering translating it, but it would take me a while. And I'm not sure how worth it that would be if the serialized version truly does end up being a greatly revised version of the same events.

I just gave a try at reading it with a ton of google translate (sadly I haven't learnt japonese by osmosis from manga/anime yet lol) and from what I understood the mangaka said it was just chapter 1 and everything else is in the fanbox. Is the prequel (what is here in dynasty) what is being published at the moment or it there a direct continuation too?

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

If TVTropes is any indicator,that is a "Boobs N' Butt" pose with a reverse focus.

Gotta show off that slim flexible waist!

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I just gave a try at reading it with a ton of google translate (sadly I haven't learnt japonese by osmosis from manga/anime yet lol) and from what I understood the mangaka said it was just chapter 1 and everything else is in the fanbox. Is the prequel (what is here in dynasty) what is being published at the moment or it there a direct continuation too?

The old chronology would go like:
1. Princess of Sylph (doujinshi)
2. Princess of Sylph (twitter)
3. Princess of Sylph: For Ranunculus (fanbox).

The doujinshi covered Sara getting Sylpheed, which was canon to the twitter manga but was also retconned a little. The twitter manga began with Sara approaching Natalia, the same as the serialized manga, and ended with them leaving the capital. The entire thing is considered the 1st major chapter of the overall story. For Ranunculus covered a bit after the end of the twitter manga but it didn't run for long before the serialization offer came.

The currently serialized manga (the one here on dynasty) here is incorporating everything that came before into a new, ideal version of the story.

I always feel like I just make this more confusing whenever I explain, but you need to understand the series wasn't that structured at first. The story began with some loose ideas that evolved over time. This new version has lots of new material to make it fresh for long-time fans, but the basic plot seems to be the same retold. Uniquely though, this version is spending far more time on the beginnings of Sara and Natalia's relationship. The original didn't have the same tension between them and quickly reached Sara explaining Sylpheed to Natalia.

So when I call these first 7 chapters prologue, I'm just informally referring to this being the earliest phase of the story before the main plot begins. The core conflict was never Sara gaining Natalia's trust or breaking the news about her family sword, but the consequences that came after that reveal.

Additionally, Kamejiro wants this version to be explicitly romantic. Before, there was always this vagueness between the main story, where Sara and Natalia are just friends, and the indeterminate future shown in bonus art where they're lovers. Kamejiro always wanted to gradually bridge the gap between the two but never found the chance. Even so far, the serialization's been much more blatant about Sara being attracted to Natalia, and of course the vomit kiss is something new too.

I imagine the next couple chapters will make it clear how much of the plot's the same. Sara's confession of how she got Sylpheed will probably resemble the early doujinshi story; there's been several hints her backstory hasn't changed. From there I expect the pace to pick up, since the 2nd half of the twitter manga was already a more focused narrative. There's not as much that needs to be fleshed out, or anything newly introduced that would complicate it.

TL;DR: this version on Dynasty is meant to be a polished retelling of the entire story that will hopefully continue as long as possible into brand new adventures. Kamejiro's said if the serialized version fails she'll try to go back to self-publishing the rest, but ideally it won't come to that.

last edited at Jun 30, 2023 1:25AM

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

They also said they don't think they handle emotional scenes well but I think they've done a wonderful job.

Their paneling style seems pretty relaxed so far, so I guess they don't think what they do matches up to the perceived intensity of a situation in their head.
Many people prefer this style, though, so yeah.
I thought the way they emphasized Natalia's hands in the dance scene with the speech bubbles was actually genius and gives a window into what Sara is thinking without stating it outright.

joined Mar 20, 2012

TL;DR: this version on Dynasty is meant to be a polished retelling of the entire story that will hopefully continue as long as possible into brand new adventures. Kamejiro's said if the serialized version fails she'll try to go back to self-publishing the rest, but ideally it won't come to that.

Thanks a lot for the explanation! I just got a lot more excited about the serialization that is being published here now then if it's mean to be a more explicit romance too.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

In case anyone else wants to purchase vol. 1 through Kobo: if you don't already have a separate account for the Japanese store (available in English), you can create one. Then just log in, put the item in the cart, and check out. My EU based debit card was accepted through Google Pay, so I recommend that method if you don't have a Japan based card.

On chapter 7: the tentacle "interrogation" scene is kind of suspicious, but then it has gems like "underwear tunnel wheeee", so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad. I'm also a big fan of Natalia's medicine delivery method!

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think this is totally different from an actual vomit kiss (as shown in e.g. Chainsaw Man). Sure, the aftertaste is gross enough, but a kiss where the receiver of the kiss threw up before can still be very romantic, especially if the kiss facilitates their healing (or helps bring them back to sanity, like in a certain Yuri SF novel series).

last edited at Jul 2, 2023 10:53AM

me_loves_ramen
Me
joined May 21, 2017

IT'S SO GOOD

joined Sep 10, 2022

In case anyone else wants to purchase vol. 1 through Kobo: if you don't already have a separate account for the Japanese store (available in English), you can create one. Then just log in, put the item in the cart, and check out. My EU based debit card was accepted through Google Pay, so I recommend that method if you don't have a Japan based card.

That and you can also get a physical copy, too.

last edited at Jul 3, 2023 1:08PM

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

Kamejiro started this serialization with the intent of getting past that point and exploring more of the world. By now everyone could guess there's an earth nation and fire nation in addition to the wind and water nations, and there's even a decent amount of art for what the princesses of those nations are like—some very minor spoilers here—despite them never appearing in the original story. It's one of those stories the author has been brainstorming for a long time.

The Earth Princess looks like she's not taking sh*t from anyone, lmao-
I would love the see more of that world, looks so interesting... And Kamejiro's style really makes it better-

joined Sep 10, 2022

This is easily my favorite right now.

Aizawa-san
joined May 25, 2018

these two are so adorable it's almost annoying

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

lmao what is she so innocent for

Like, "let me get my face up in your coochie. Huh? Perverted? What,??? What does my extremely close proximity to your vagina have to do with perversion?"

last edited at Jul 23, 2023 2:09AM

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

More hints at Sara's past. In case you hadn't noticed, the dial's shifting from Natalia being a mess that needs Sara looking after her to the other way around. Kamejiro recently summed up their relationship as, "If I take my eyes off her, she's going to get herself hurt (x2)" which I find very appropriate.

Unfortunate that the chapter cuts off right when we're getting to the plot, but this was a nice peaceful break. Sweet to see Natalia turning down every doubt and only growing more curious and concerned for Sara. When she isn't feeling vengeful.

We're back on track with the original here; while Sara never got kidnapped by Snake Princess, they did have a sleepover at the castle the night Sara told Natalia the truth. And Snake Princess looks to be settling into the same old untrustworthy support character role. You can even see her poking out of the teapot again at the end.

As for the extra, it'll probably make more sense later. Just know that Sara's actually fairly reserved when it comes to sex and intimacy, so she's genuinely shocked at getting called a pervert.

last edited at Jul 23, 2023 3:00AM

joined May 10, 2021

God I just can't enough of their every interactions, it's so good. And the art just makes it down right amazing.
(Also teasing of the we extra makes the sailing wait slightly more difficult).
Thanks for the chapter!

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

The "graby grab", "pwoke" and "This is revenge for the othe day" were so adorable! Kya!!

joined Dec 20, 2022

wa'er nonce

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

What is it with lesbians being so intimate in baths? Why are you bathing together huh? To cleanse yourself of heterosexuality??
Checking for marks and scars in the bath reminded me of dungeon meshi too.

last edited at Jul 23, 2023 5:11AM

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

I'll never get enough of these two.

joined Sep 10, 2022

More hints at Sara's past. In case you hadn't noticed, the dial's shifting from Natalia being a mess that needs Sara looking after her to the other way around. Kamejiro recently summed up their relationship as, "If I take my eyes off her, she's going to get herself hurt (x2)" which I find very appropriate.

Yes the personality of their relationship changes subtly nearly each chapter. That's a great quote.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

If that damn snake does not stop invading their privacy I will turn her into nuclear plant cooling water

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Don't stare at it; read the room.

To reply you must either login or sign up.