Forum › My New Friend Wasn't What I Expected discussion

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

The character Mishima is obviously inspired in whatshername from "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" series. Y'know, the record store girl who likes rock and looks like a guy.

But that's totally 100% not a gyaru.

Mishima's casual look can be called rocker style, grunge style, ghetto style, soft butch style, oh, lotta things—but she's nothing like a gyaru.

Taking Wikipedia for its' wisdom,it can easily be said that she is a gal who is using fashion that isn't the norm of a prim and proper housewife.

It's absolute stretch to say she isn't one at all.

Taking Google for its' wisdom, or any Gyaru fashion magazine ever published, it can easily be seen that gyaru are about hyperfeminine looks and roles.
It should be easy to understand if you look at "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" as an example. Aya is a gyaru. Her circle of friends at school are gyaru. Mitsuki? Polar opposite of a gyaru, both as a school nerd and as a hunky 'oniisan'.

The main point of being a gyaru is to not be a prim n' proper housewife "ojou-sama" like style,and there's so many combinations that fit under gyaru,so he tag is more then justified for being in use,there's no need to around in circles trying to debate it when it's obvious that she isn't all prim n' proper.

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

This is super cute!

4b70c0a3-5927-441e-942b-53e31052f7f7
joined Mar 3, 2023

Oh yea this is nice. Anyways 8:30 am???

61f8f9de6afa98bcb0f186a1_736_640_20945%20(1)
joined Mar 25, 2021

8:30 in the morning???

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

The character Mishima is obviously inspired in whatshername from "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" series. Y'know, the record store girl who likes rock and looks like a guy.

Mishima's casual look can be called rocker style, grunge style, ghetto style, soft butch style, oh, lotta things—but she's nothing like a gyaru.

Taking Wikipedia for its' wisdom,it can easily be said that she is a gal who is using fashion that isn't the norm of a prim and proper housewife.

Taking Google for its' wisdom, or any Gyaru fashion magazine ever published, it can easily be seen that gyaru are about hyperfeminine looks and roles.
It should be easy to understand if you look at "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" as an example. Aya is a gyaru. Her circle of friends at school are gyaru. Mitsuki? Polar opposite of a gyaru, both as a school nerd and as a hunky 'oniisan'.

The main point of being a gyaru is to not be a prim n' proper housewife "ojou-sama" like style,and there's so many combinations that fit under gyaru,so he tag is more then justified for being in use,there's no need to around in circles trying to debate it when it's obvious that she isn't all prim n' proper.

Ahh yes we should add the JRPG tag too as well...

Gyaru isn't about being "anything different than traditional Japanese style" it's an anticultural fashion movement that's supposed to be the Opposite from the traditional image.
Pale skin? Nahh fam, Tanned
Raven hair? Nope, bleached
Elegantly dressed? Fucking heart accessories galore M8

Or would you rather be lazy and call anything that's not a Yamato Hime a Gyaru?

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

can't believe I miss this! this is the same creator of The Overworked Office Lady's Café Crush. I'm loving this!!

last edited at May 22, 2023 9:17PM

Random Reader
joined Nov 30, 2011

...What sort of an absolute psychopath goes to watch a movie at 8:30 in the morning!?

Pre-covid had saw theaters promoting cheaper seating for early shows.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

It's always fun when two ladies just unabashedly fangirl each other.

Ejvogqrxgae48vj
joined Aug 18, 2019

I have no idea how I'd missed this series until now! this is soo cute holy smokes

inactivehunter
V_1_25
joined Sep 26, 2022

Bro this is so cute, I love it

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

Gyaru isn't about being "anything different than traditional Japanese style" it's an anticultural fashion movement that's supposed to be the Opposite from the traditional image.

Good explanation.
The Google links posted above make VERY clear what's a gyaru. And a tomboy who dresses in male clothes and looks like an ikemen is nothing like a gyaru. There's nothing to debate.

Somebody made a mistake when they tagged this manga with Gyaru, just that. They should have tagged it with Tomboy instead.

Clipboard%20image%20(3)
joined Nov 11, 2018

Cute, I love it

joined May 3, 2014

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

Good explanation.
The Google links posted above make VERY clear what's a gyaru. And a tomboy who dresses in male clothes and looks like an ikemen is nothing like a gyaru. There's nothing to debate.

Somebody made a mistake when they tagged this manga with Gyaru, just that. They should have tagged it with Tomboy instead.

i don’t see the Gyaru tag anymore so I guess it got corected :3 tho the tomboy might be an better one :3

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

Wait they're high schoolers, that movie is def R18.

Eh, not sure if I can tag this as Tomboy though. Her fashion is from a music subculture e.g. goths/punks/alts/etc. and those are different from the tag.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

Considering that not all gyarus are tanned,bleached,and/or accessories galore,no,it's not lazy to classify those who aren't being prim n' proper,those who are actively going against the submissive and breedable stereotype imposed on them,as gyaru.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

Good explanation.

And now you're just making tomboy and gyaru mutually exclusive...

joined May 10, 2021

God that's so fucking sweet.
Thanks for the translation!

PineconeJuice
Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

It's cute and chill. I also appreciate how the cool girl is grounded in reality so far. Just a girl with her own style.
Her school getup makes her look like that dark-haired girl from one of those mangas with a long name "The result of my author/classsmate discovering my yuri obsession"

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

It's so funny how the girl always finds a way to say "She's so cool!!!!" in almost every page like YEa girl we got it on the 7th time you said it, she is cool! lmaoo

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

1-3: This girl is Down Bad™
4+ : These girls are Down Bad™

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Gyaru is a specific fashion subculture, which is noted in the first sentence of the Wikipedia page linked. She is not matching any listed gyaru fashion trends or subtypes or previous gyaru depictions in other manga, so this won't be tagged with it.

But don't forget, the best gyaru on this site is pale, has black hair, and is a cool, smooth lady-killer. I'm speaking of course of our stealth gal Harumi from Citrus.

Personally, I think "tomboy" fits because she's a tomboy by the western definition of the word but not so much by the Japanese trope for "boyish," which is mainly how the tag is used on the site (alongside prince types). It's still unclear if the western definition of tomboy should be tagged across the board on the site

last edited at Jun 5, 2023 1:15AM

スライム
Slime
joined Feb 22, 2023

no,it's not lazy to classify those who aren't being prim n' proper,those who are actively going against the submissive and breedable stereotype imposed on them,as gyaru.

Dude, gyaru tag was removed, you were wrong, can it already.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

It's so funny how the girl always finds a way to say "She's so cool!!!!" in almost every page like YEa girl we got it on the 7th time you said it, she is cool! lmaoo

It's the gay panic talking.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Delicious.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Gyaru is a specific fashion subculture, which is noted in the first sentence of the Wikipedia page linked. She is not matching any listed gyaru fashion trends or subtypes or previous gyaru depictions in other manga, so this won't be tagged with it.

But don't forget, the best gyaru on this site is pale, has black hair, and is a cool, smooth lady-killer. I'm speaking of course of our stealth gal Harumi from Citrus.

Personally, I think "tomboy" fits because she's a tomboy by the western definition of the word but not so much by the Japanese trope for "boyish," which is mainly how the tag is used on the site (alongside prince types). It's still unclear if the western definition of tomboy should be tagged across the board on the site

I don't think she looks like a tomboy by the western definition, she looks alternative. You could say that the alternative look has some things in common with the tomboy look, but I'd say tomboy has more of a sporty connotation. All of the piercings and jewelry are not what I'd typically associate with tomboy. Even in chapter 2, she gets called a "rocker" which is not a particularly western term, but fits more closely with "alternative" as the vibe.

To reply you must either login or sign up.