Forum › The Fed Up Office Lady Wants to Serve the Villainess discussion

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

The way she was talking about how the prince was a player and he needed to be ready to sacrifice pieces, while holding a queen that she ultimately lets fall, implies that she thinks the prince should be willing to sacrifice her. This also seems to line up with the way Natori describes her rampage ending with the prince solidifying his position and Diana gaining authority as a voice of the commoners, who also showed the power they can exert if pushed too far.

When we first saw her scheming, it seemed kind of weird and silly, because obviously slaughtering a bunch of people isn't going to cow their allies, but it is a great way to make everyone hate you and to cast whoever stops you as a Hero. If you do it right, you might even be able to take down the more problematic conservatives at the same time.

Super interesting theory! Does fit with what's she's shown thus far. If that's the case, I'd wonder what role the prince would have. It seems Lapis and he might both be somewhat aware of what she's doing (whatever that is). Could explain his quote from this chapter--wishing for Natori to show Lapis there's a different path.

last edited at May 11, 2023 2:06PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

When we first saw her scheming, it seemed kind of weird and silly, because obviously slaughtering a bunch of people isn't going to cow their allies, but it is a great way to make everyone hate you and to cast whoever stops you as a Hero. If you do it right, you might even be able to take down the more problematic conservatives at the same time.

but what if the prince you're doing it for abdicates to be a professor

joined Apr 16, 2022

100%. It's just that in those other instances you've shown, she uses clear language to distinctly differentiate her old feelings from her new feelings ("but," "but" etc.). Here, yes she noticed a difference but it's a positive difference, an enhancing difference. She liked their game representation and is initially shocked that they're now "arguing." Then she realizes: essentially, "in the game they were close but here they're seem even closer!" Since they wed in the game, being even closer now might have meaning. That's all I was pointing out. A part of all these types of Isekai villainess game stories is this idea that the game world shifts and stories change and you're right that, that's definitely a major part of this story.

Right, but what I find interesting is that, as she interacts with the other characters, Natori seems to be questioning the underlying ideological assumptions of the game she loved so much as a player. As she says, "this world exists for the protagonist and the main characters"; Diana is the protagonist so "anyone she injures with her power must be 'evil'", while Lapis as the villain is a mere stepping stone for Diana and Gran's character arcs. But in this chapter we see Natori, not just reevaluating her opinions of Lapis and Diana as real people and not fictional characters, but also implicitly criticizing the game's ending by telling Gran he doesn't need to become King. So while I agree that your interpretation of that scene is plausible, I think "Diana and Gran never had much romantic chemistry to begin with" is also a plausible route the story may go from here.

The only issue I see is that because Lapis has to be sidelined so much to start, it leaves her character in the position of needing to "catch up" to the familiarity other characters have already garnered. But as long as the author knows this and has prepared for that, it's fine.

In fairness Lapis got most of the page time in volume 1, so it makes sense for volume 2 to focus more on Diana and Gran. I just hope Nekotarou isn't going to wait too much longer before revealing what Lapis's real plans and motivations are, since it would make the central romance less compelling if we know little about Lapis until the climax.

joined Sep 10, 2022

In fairness Lapis got most of the page time in volume 1, so it makes sense for volume 2 to focus more on Diana and Gran. I just hope Nekotarou isn't going to wait too much longer before revealing what Lapis's real plans and motivations are, since it would make the central romance less compelling if we know little about Lapis until the climax.

Agreed, it's just that the audience reaction to that is predictable. This is especially since her character is rightfully reserved and mysterious at the moment, compared to Diana and Prince, who are both pretty much open books that we more or less already know the contents of. It's easier for the audience to connect to them, at least for right now, since Lapis' characterizations thus far are mostly subtle (and "subtle" is easily missed). So she's playing catch up a bit. If it were me I'd expect my audience reaction beforehand and prepare accordingly, knowing that my titular character will be a bit behind for a short time. I'm interested in how this volume will end.

Right, but what I find interesting is that, as she interacts with the other characters, Natori seems to be questioning the underlying ideological assumptions of the game she loved so much as a player. As she says, "this world exists for the protagonist and the main characters"; Diana is the protagonist so "anyone she injures with her power must be 'evil'", while Lapis as the villain is a mere stepping stone for Diana and Gran's character arcs. But in this chapter we see Natori, not just reevaluating her opinions of Lapis and Diana as real people and not fictional characters, but also implicitly criticizing the game's ending by telling Gran he doesn't need to become King. So while I agree that your interpretation of that scene is plausible, I think "Diana and Gran never had much romantic chemistry to begin with" is also a plausible route the story may go from here.

Super fair. I just feel that if Neko wanted to communicate that message, they could have had Diana and Gran argue without needing the comments from Natori about their getting along better than the game. Had they simply argued, that alone would have been a shift from the game and Natori could have looked on in tongue-in-cheek "horror" as she realized that the two had no real chemistry. Instead, she reinforces their chemistry, even going so far as to say it trumps the game and I find that a potentially meaningful choice from the author. That extra turn wasn't needed, if all they wanted was to show that they had no chemistry.

last edited at May 11, 2023 2:57PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Super fair. I just feel that if Neko wanted to communicate that message, they could have had Diana and Gran argue without needing the comments from Natori about their getting along better than the game. Had they simply argued, that alone would have been a shift from the game and Natori could have looked on in tongue-in-cheek "horror" as she realized that the two had no real chemistry. Instead, she reinforces their chemistry, even going so far as to say it trumps the game and I find that a potentially meaningful choice from the author. That extra turn wasn't needed, if all they wanted was to show that they had no chemistry.

To me what Natori means is that Diana and Gran actually looks like they could be friends now instead of being constricted to what the game's plot demanded. I don't think she's implied any romance possibility between them.

joined Jan 14, 2020

I have to say, Diana is one confidently uppity commoner. Or reckless. It's not that I disapprove per se, just seems unusual and risky to be that casual with your crown prince unless you have a very close relationship with him.

Of course it would be natural to write the game protagonist that way, when aiming at modern players. But in-world, it's odd!

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

Diana's really cool, to be honest. I really dig her somewhat brash personality.

joined Sep 10, 2022

To me what Natori means is that Diana and Gran actually looks like they could be friends now instead of being constricted to what the game's plot demanded. I don't think she's implied any romance possibility between them.

Yeah. Natori didn't for sure but it's possible that the author is laying the groundwork considering this interaction is being compared to the game's favorably. But as we said earlier in the other discussion with Cogito, it's too early to know what the author means to imply here. I just wanted to point out the potential choices made in that scene, in case this does indeed come back (or continue to be hinted at).

But yeah Diana is spunky for sure. Gran seems to have some spice too, at least when he argues with her.

last edited at May 11, 2023 4:20PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Really like the discussion and various ideas proposed by other comments and I'm really looking forward to seeing how things unfold from here. Personally I think that the main theme of chapter 8 (and by extension the entirety of at the very least this main story arc) is being chained to preordained fate and practically any interaction between either character touches this in some way or form. Even Diana and the prince bickering I don't necessarily read as anything regarding their chemistry but more so as a show and in-universe comment of how things are different than the set-in-stone plotline the game had. They're enjoying themselves more, they're their own persons with desires and fears and everything in between, and their fate is not determined by anyone or anything, and this, in my opinion, will be applied to Lapis - her dynamic with Natori, her schemes and the reasons behind them, her previous relationships or lack thereof, etc. when the focus turns to her more prominently (again).

Strictly as far as potential romance goes regarding Diana and the prince, honestly, chapter 8 has me reading them a lot more as (the good kind of) bickering siblings than anything else, but the potential to develop into any route is absolutely there. Personally, I simply like seeing them bounce off each other in a manner that seems so much freer than their positions would normally allow them. They'd work excellently under a buddy cop movie/show type dynamic.

last edited at May 11, 2023 4:32PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

I note again that the end-art of the chapters shows Natori being pulled apart by Lapis and Diana, no prince in sight.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_fed_up_office_lady_wants_to_serve_the_villainess_ch05#34

last edited at May 11, 2023 5:33PM

joined Sep 10, 2022

I note again that the end-art of the chapters shows Natori being pulled apart by Lapis and Diana, no prince in sight.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_fed_up_office_lady_wants_to_serve_the_villainess_ch05#34

That is the translation group's chosen picture for it's credits page. That's not what ends each chapter in the original releases, if that's what you mean. It wouldn't matter either way though, that image doesn't mean anything besides what we've already seen (that Diana has a crush). Doesn't say what will happen. Neko has drawn images with Diana and Prince anyway (actually she did a live stream of one of them). So it does seem like they'll have some sort of relationship whether that's friendship, romantic, or not. He's also in a good amount of side art of the story. He's a major character, including that boy we saw with Lapis for about 5 seconds.

last edited at May 11, 2023 6:00PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

She got to bring a bloody CALCULATOR

Emersion RUInED

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

It would be funny to show her being brilliant with a abacus...

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

She got to bring a bloody CALCULATOR

Emersion RUInED

Well,it was a(FULL SIZED)"pocket" calculator plus solar panel.

The perfect tool for starting a conversation that steers the prince away from being a king,and quite possibly changing what he chooses to do when the commoners rise up.

The butterfly effect has taken root for sure.

joined Sep 9, 2016

Random: while I was at work today, lost in thought, it occurred to me that I don't think I've ever seen any isekai stories do any omake features/chapters detailing what's going on in the world they were pulled from (maybe a memory fault, but I digress).

With that in mind, I thought it would be a fun omake to show the office that fired Natori in utter meltdown, not realizing how vital she was to smooth operations.

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

Hmm . . . .
I wonder how longer Natori's knowledge of game events will be relevant? She's already set the butterfly effect into motion by merely existing, but this major interaction with the Prince here will almost definitely affect some aspect of the original plot enough that certain events either cease to exist or play out differently.

Yuri Yuriyuri
Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

I love how down atrocious Diana is lol. A pure and strong affection, as expected.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Random: while I was at work today, lost in thought, it occurred to me that I don't think I've ever seen any isekai stories do any omake features/chapters detailing what's going on in the world they were pulled from (maybe a memory fault, but I digress).

Pretty rare, yeah. Isekair adjacent: "Twelve Kingdoms" gave Youko one episode of visions of school friend and her parents; it also had Taiki being un-isekaied back to Earth, which was a disaster. I think Fushigi Yugi or Magical Knight Rayearth have travel back and forth. The webcomic Erfworld at least showed us Gotti's friends blinking in surprise after his summoning away from Earth. The fanfics Ami's Odyssey and Dungeon Keeper Ami both have Ami establishing some contact with the Sailor Scouts back on Earth.

That's all I can think of.

joined Jun 27, 2022

I think this chapter is starting to hint at why Lapis seems to be diving headlong into cackling evil villainy: That's exactly what she's doing.

The way she was talking about how the prince was a player and he needed to be ready to sacrifice pieces, while holding a queen that she ultimately lets fall, implies that she thinks the prince should be willing to sacrifice her. This also seems to line up with the way Natori describes her rampage ending with the prince solidifying his position and Diana gaining authority as a voice of the commoners, who also showed the power they can exert if pushed too far.

What natori described were ingame events to keep the plot going, no everything has changed and there might be more to it. It's a shame that natori still in her many monologues did not disclose what Lapis plans exactly are.

Im just saying since Natori came into the game the characters became real and much more fleshed out so Lapis will not willingly sacrifice herself to solidify grans and Diana's position. Her dialogue with gran might also just be her self insert, how she would be willing to sacrifice pieces for her goals.

She genuinely seems to hate commoners so will do anything to suppress them and the pro-commoner noble faction. I wouldn't be surprised if some past trauma involving commonors made her despise them so much, maybe something happened to her childhood friend with precognition? Or maybe she truly is just an elitist evil noble who dislikes commoners.

But yeah you are right Lapis already considers the fact she will not make it. Lapis told Natori to take care of herself and disavowing her in case she falls from grace.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

The villainess role is to be a stepping stone for other characters to grow or achieve self-actualization. This is just a narrative fact. But in a real living world things cannot be so clean cut, people are not character growth catalysts. It seems that the game did not really go into the prince's thoughts on Lapis much at all. It frames the events very differently.

Even now things that happen out of turn are only existing events however. Like the line that should have happened in the final battle being used dismissively now. The pieces are the same, but context changes. Intriguing.

Even the prince knows that Diana's interest in Natori is "impure" haha

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

This is unusual for me, but I'm getting some gender vibes from Gran. Maybe Nekotarou just does not enjoy drawing masculine men, but bro is serving a tomboy prince look to an extent I'm not used to in Yuri. On its own, he could just be a feminine guy, but there's also the development in this chapter, where Natori suggests his role as a future king does not have to be set in stone. And if that's true, and something that diverges from the game's story, then he might take a sip from the gender fluid at some point. I'm almost definitely wrong though...

Lapis' agent from chapter 4 might be paired up with Gran if it's a guy, or with Diana if it's a girl (if a secret third thing then I don't even have a guess). Well, there might never be any definitive couples besides Lapis x Natori, though Catulus Syndrome did have a B couple as far as I remember

Neko has drawn images with Diana and Prince anyway (actually she did a live stream of one of them). So it does seem like they'll have some sort of relationship whether that's friendship, romantic, or not.

There is a bit on that stream where Nekotarou seems to say that (disclaimer: I am basing this on MTL, so do take it with several grains of salt) despite what the drawing might imply, Gran is not Diana's love interest, since the characters are from a Yuri manga.

The stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqEa62A210g&t=5642s 1:34:02 ~ 1:34:53

Transcript (based on Youtube's auto-captions and my ears where it seemed off):

でも、百合漫画なんでちゃんとこの男子は恋愛にこは絡んでないです。
見ての通り険悪な関係性なんで安心してもらって。
今回の絵で百合漫画っていうのなんかすごい信じてもらえないからすごいですね。
なんかちょっと…この契約な感じとか…なんならこう男女物の恋愛漫画でこういう雰囲気の剣カップルみたいのもいるじゃいないですか。
こんなこと言うとすごいダイアナちゃんに怒られそうだけど…
ダイアナちゃんにもグランくんにも怒られそうだけど、あの、こういう雰囲気の剣カップル…男女、恋愛漫画っぽさも、例「?」はある。
全然そんなことないんで、ちょっと安心していただければ。

last edited at May 12, 2023 3:35PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Lol, Natori shipping while Diana looks disgusted.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

Love the way the Prince acknowledges dianas motives lol. Also really love this whole section, love the way the story is going

Princess_Anime
Illyasvielgay
joined Mar 6, 2021

neko tarou's art is really good

joined Apr 16, 2022

Transcript (based on Youtube's auto-captions and my ears where it seemed off):

でも、百合漫画なんでちゃんとこの男子は恋愛にこは絡んでないです。
見ての通り険悪な関係性なんで安心してもらって。
今回の絵で百合漫画っていうのなんかすごい信じてもらえないからすごいですね。
なんかちょっと…この契約な感じとか…なんならこう男女物の恋愛漫画でこういう雰囲気の剣カップルみたいのもいるじゃいないですか。
こんなこと言うとすごいダイアナちゃんに怒られそうだけど…
ダイアナちゃんにもグランくんにも怒られそうだけど、あの、こういう雰囲気の剣カップル…男女、恋愛漫画っぽさも、例「?」はある。
全然そんなことないんで、ちょっと安心していただければ。

Rough translation:

"But it's a yuri manga, so this boy isn't involved in any romance. As you can see, it's a hostile relationship so please be at ease. You can't believe its a yuri manga based on this drawing, right? Somehow it feels a bit...like a contract...sort of like, a het romance manga might have a sword couple with this sort of vibe. Though Diana-chan would get pissed at me for saying this... Both Diana-chan and Gran-kun would be angry, but um, there's precedence to have a sword couple with this of vibe, like a het romance manga. But it's not like that at all, please be assured."

Basically the upshot is "it's a yuri manga so Diana x Gran isn't happening don't worry" lmao.

(Also Diana sticking her tongue out is super cute.)

last edited at May 12, 2023 9:27PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.