Forum › I Wanna Quit Being a Hitman! discussion

joined Jan 14, 2020

Twist: he's in the mob too, so he's not pissed that she's killing people but that she's talking about it at all.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Just a fun fact: while it may be true that a priest can't tell anyone about confessions, they are also not required to give absolution. They might withhold it if, for example, a confessor shows no intent of actually stopping the behavior or if someone else is being punished for it.

I believe they are also allowed to report a confession to police if it will prevent a crime from being committed (which it arguably would, in the case of a hit man who comes back every time they kill someone).

Nah, you're thinking about shrinks. Catholic priests aren't allowed to report squat shit. Even if the guy making the confession says he's with a suicide terrorist group and they're building a nuclear bomb to wipe out the city, the priest must keep mum. If the bomb eventually explodes and millions die, too bad: it was God's will.

As expected of heretics that colluded with the roman pagans and created judaism for casuals, aka Christianity.

Jokes aside, in Judaism there is a central idea above individual religious laws where "saving human lives" (including that of yourself) >> religious law. I kinda expected confession to be in a similar vein, where saving the lives of others would take precedence to the secrecy of a confession.

Also, this is apparently completed with 43 chapters, according to our friends at MD. Fingers crossed for consistent releases.

last edited at May 2, 2023 2:19AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I'm casting my prediction: one chapter the Dad and Hitman will meet and they will recognize each other's voices

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

Sorawo whatcha doin' here?

the otherside wasn't earning enough so she had to get a side hustle

joined Jan 14, 2020

I'm casting my prediction: one chapter the Dad and Hitman will meet and they will recognize each other's voices

Could be, though she might try to disguise/alter her confessional voice.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Wouldn't be crazy if the priest had a dark past he was trying to atone for as well.

Either he or the mom of the girl surely had something going on.

Classy-Nessi
23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020

I like where this is going so far, imma keep my eye on this.

Old_Man_Majes
Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

Holy cow, what a great set up. I'm really curious to see where this goes.

joined Oct 12, 2022

There are exceptions to Catholic clerical celibacy for priests. I actually know one of the rare married Catholic priests out there. There's also priests who have children outside the guidelines of the church, and remain priests afterwards. It's nowhere near as important as the seal of confession within Catholicism.

It is true that giving absolution isn't required, but I'd give that one a pass. It's only the first chapter, we don't know yet what the logic behind that is.

Anyway, super interesting so far, I'm excited to read more.

identification-projection-preheterosexuality
Please%20actually
joined Mar 13, 2018

father shirafune kinda fine with it

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

... yeah, this will definitely be a sinless relationship

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

More than the actual characterization itself, what hits me about this is the way she does the killing. I mean, normally in a manga, when you have people in a violent trade, they are hyperviolent--hard boiled, bigger than life, unstoppable killers with lightning speed and incredible accuracy. This is not actually that much more realistic, it seems like real hit men aren't nearly this smooth, even the high end ones--look at Mohamed Bone Sawman's boys. But still, it's a very different approach that gives much more attention to real world issues; she's pulling off the jobs in ways calculated to minimize complications, a hypercompetence much more grounded in the constraints of society.

The moment she offs someone quietly with no witnesses in a way that makes it look like an accident, rather than fighting her way past half a dozen bodyguards in a massive shootout, this tells us we are in a very different universe from that of most manga hit men.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

HOLY CRAP.

Things are about to get wild in here.

joined May 10, 2021

That drama tag.... It scares me...
And I'm all up for it! This looks great.
Thanks for your translation!

Emksz5tuyaupjuem
joined Apr 18, 2023

quite a premise huh

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

From a certain point of view, Father Shirafune is the main character of this story, which is really about his struggle for sanity as two disaster lesbians in his immediate vicinity try to make their relationship not a slow-moving trainwreck.

Dynasty Reader
joined Sep 7, 2021

This assassin really is a sinner but if the topic is sins I don't think homosexuality is what she should be worried about, I'd be more concerned about the grooming if I was her.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to seeing more

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I'd be more concerned about the grooming if I was her.

There's a reason she's talking to a Catholic priest, obviously. ;)

Dynasty Reader
joined Sep 7, 2021

I'd be more concerned about the grooming if I was her.

There's a reason she's talking to a Catholic priest, obviously. ;)

OHO!

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

This assassin really is a sinner but if the topic is sins I don't think homosexuality is what she should be worried about, I'd be more concerned about the grooming if I was her.

Tbf it was the girl who was thinking of her dad's views on homosexuality but yeah, she doesn't recognize that she's being groomed. Meanwhile assassin thinks she's not allowed to love because of her sins of killing people. And since the Church doesn't consider grooming a sin, they could care less about that. ╮⁠(⁠^⁠▽⁠^⁠)⁠╭

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Father cancer sticks was probs a hit man in his former life

Golden Brown
Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

Celtic crosses all up and down that church. Interesting for a church, Catholic or otherwise, smack in the middle of presumably Tokyo.

Also, is Rose Russian? Sure as hell doesn't look Chinese, but there's not a whole lot of "mainland" that has honkies where you can come from when arriving in Japan as a refugee which ISN'T Russia.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Also, is Rose Russian? Sure as hell doesn't look Chinese, but there's not a whole lot of "mainland" that has honkies where you can come from when arriving in Japan as a refugee which ISN'T Russia.

Manga/anime assassins are always from Siberia. It is known.

last edited at May 3, 2023 3:27AM

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

Just a fun fact: while it may be true that a priest can't tell anyone about confessions, they are also not required to give absolution. They might withhold it if, for example, a confessor shows no intent of actually stopping the behavior or if someone else is being punished for it.

I believe they are also allowed to report a confession to police if it will prevent a crime from being committed (which it arguably would, in the case of a hit man who comes back every time they kill someone).

Nah, you're thinking about shrinks. Catholic priests aren't allowed to report squat shit. Even if the guy making the confession says he's with a suicide terrorist group and they're building a nuclear bomb to wipe out the city, the priest must keep mum. If the bomb eventually explodes and millions die, too bad: it was God's will.

If you ask me, the two things about the priest that seem unrealistic are: one, he has a daughter; two, he doesn't appear to understand penance.

The daughter can be explained if we assume that he's a widower who was ordained only after his child was born and his wife died... but there's NO FUCKING WAY a Catholic priest would absolve someone like a hitman, a serial murderer, without giving them a truly grueling penance.

Here, where I live, the priests usually make you say padrenuestros and avemarías as penances, and no absolution for you till you're done. I know of children who had to recite fifty padrenuestros just for picking their noses. Our lady hitman, even with a lenient confessor, should have been forced to recite nonstop padrenuestros and avemarías until next year Friday, lol.

Rasied catholic. I have no idea what this person is blathering about.

last edited at May 3, 2023 9:46PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.