Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

ch41 up on Mangadex

angry commenters captured Shiho and now she's disappeared and probably dead

Haha. They wish. Another round of the same comments, probably. Honestly though she's likely on the rooftop, the place people go to disappear in these things (or maybe somewhere playing music?) I'll wait until it's up here before saying anything more.

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 7:21AM

joined Feb 11, 2022

I don't know if it was stated before, but I certainly didn't expect SS's performance to be the next day. I'm glad, because thanks to that Aki had time to refresh her head a bit. Otherwise it could have ended pretty bad for them. I wonder what was that Aki realized about her feelings.

People will start complaining about the last page, which I understand, but it obviously won't be anything serious at all. The author just wanted to end the chapter with a cliffhanger.

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 8:29AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Calling it now—10 bucks says that whoever finds Shiho in her Den of Mope says a version of, “I knew I’d find you here.”

joined Sep 10, 2022

I don't know if it was stated before, but I certainly didn't expect SS's performance to be the next day. I'm glad, because thanks to that Aki had time to refresh her head a bit. Otherwise it could have ended pretty bad for them. I wonder what was that Aki realized about her feelings.

People will start complaining about the last page, which I understand, but it obviously won't be anything serious at all. The author just wanted to end the chapter with a cliffhanger.

I'm assuming she realized that she'd settled her feelings with that hand touch. She no longer has her crush and probably hasn't had it for some time. She'll try to communicate that to Shiho with her song. She seems to want reconciliation but, as per her conversation with Shiho, Aki doesn't want to reconcile while still pinning for someone else.

As for the last page, yeah. Aki is writing a song seemingly targeted at Shiho. Having Shiho disappear (or appear to disappear) is likely an attempt to reinforce the intent of the coming song (since the song will be meaningless to Aki if Shiho can't hear it and I'm sure Aki will say that) and also to show that Shiho actually hasn't gotten over Aki (even though she implied it last chapter). They need to show that there's still a possibility of Shiho's accepting the song (and therefore, Aki); so having her still unsure and tormented will help with that. Just setting the stage, I'm sure.

Also is it just me or does this site seemingly go down every couple of minutes? I have to refresh quite a bit sometimes.

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 9:12AM

joined Apr 5, 2020

Calling it now—10 bucks says that whoever finds Shiho in her Den of Mope says a version of, “I knew I’d find you here.”

Or she just went into the bathroom and the dumb friend didn't even bother to look in there. Oh well, another forced drama.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Shiho manages to add a bit more drama without even appearing in the chapter (outside flashbacks), what a pro.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Aki has finally figured out what she wants.

But now Shiho has disappeared. Is she running away, or is she preparing herself? I guess we'll see the next time...

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

LMFAO WHAT?!?

That last page is pure comedy.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

LMFAO WHAT?!?

That last page is pure comedy.

They all needed to be prairie dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjFxJVeCQs

joined Feb 11, 2022

I'm assuming she realized that she'd settled her feelings with that hand touch. She no longer has her crush and probably hasn't had it for some time. She'll try to communicate that to Shiho with her song. She seems to want reconciliation but, as per her conversation with Shiho, Aki doesn't want to reconcile while still pinning for someone else.

Yeah, I think you are right. After all, Aki wants to convey a message to Shiho with their last song, and It can't be something like "I still have feelings for Yori, but let's be friends" as she knows Shiho would never accept that.

joined Sep 10, 2022

Yeah, I think you are right. After all, Aki wants to convey a message to Shiho with their last song, and It can't be something like "I still have feelings for Yori, but let's be friends" as she knows Shiho would never accept that.

True. Also, Aki doesn't seem to like being in this frozen state either. Based on this chapter, she hadn't reconsidered her relationships in a while. Regardless of Shiho, Aki had to move forward at some point. We needed to deal with that issue and I guess we're dealing with it now with Shiho (messily and inadvertently) helping to force that reframing for Aki. So at the end of the day they are both settling some baggage they've been kicking the can on.

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 12:15PM

Jamal_Williams69
joined May 13, 2018

I was fine with Shiho before, but she gotta stop doing this shit. The story is just dragging at this point because of her.

joined Mar 18, 2023

this chapter was alright in regards to aki though it still feels rather late in its introduction and very rushed in its resolution making it lack the overall impact it should have had considering its narrative importance.

as for regards to shiho its leaning heavily into soap opera territory with its writing per usual since that dramatic scene at the end exists more for the sake of drama than it does for the sake of character growth.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

This manga really is the embodiment of "dragging on", the battle of the bands is still technically not over lmao :P Tune in for the next episode of Whispering You a Dragon Ball.

Anyway, the one thing that I would call some actual development in this chapter (Aki getting over her feelings) was kinda silly - we aren't told what did she actually get from that handholding session, but I'm guessing she didn't get a complete panic attack and concluded she's over the heartbreak or something? Relationship between Aki and Yori probably deserved a bit more screentime than it actually got before this chapter, maybe it would also help prevent from everything being completely dominated by Shiho's stuff. (I guess we got a bit of that in the ancient times, when the manga was still mostly about Hima and Yori :P)

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 1:21PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I am NOT going to cover any of that action. No bet.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Jamal_Williams69 posted:

I was fine with Shiho before, but she gotta stop doing this shit. The story is just dragging at this point because of her.

Yeah, after saying all that stuff and causing trouble for everyone, I hope she's not thinking something like "meh, what's the point of even watching them perform? I already won anyways~" YOU STARTED THIS SHIT! at least have the decency to see it through.. but that's worse case scenario, right? I mean, there's no way right?

I also thought she could be at the graveyard, in such case, Himari is gonna have to run a lot to drag her back... but that's assuming they can leave school grounds at this time.

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 2:31PM

joined Apr 6, 2013

The saddest part is that in manga the song wont hit as well as it will in anime, but the anime will only reach this point if it gets renewed which still wont be for several years

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So we have now had extensive Shiho backstory, as well as seeing various actions in the present. Has she ever actually done anything for or even been motivated by the good of anybody else?

Don't get me wrong, there are obviously places for jerks in stories. Occasionally even "protagonist", in certain kinds of stories. But in fluffy romances, I think it's kind of emotionally unsatisfying for someone thoroughly unpleasant to be a major viewpoint character (and at the rate things are going, probably headed for a happy ending, having learned nothing).

The two original leads are basically nice people, so it's satisfying to see them being happy. That's what non-tragedy romances are all about.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Anyway, the one thing that I would call some actual development in this chapter (Aki getting over her feelings) was kinda silly - we aren't told what did she actually get from that handholding session

That's the yuri equivalent of "Let's have sex to see if I'm over my feelings for you. Kthnxbai."

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

we aren't told what did she actually get from that handholding session, but I'm guessing she didn't get a complete panic attack and concluded she's over the heartbreak or something?

We do have an idea, yes, but the actual reveal is left to their performance that she's using to also let Shiho know, of course.

joined Sep 10, 2022

I also thought she could be at the graveyard, in such case, Himari is gonna have to run a lot to drag her back.

Good call. I'd forgotten about the graveyard. I'd bet that's where she's gone to spend time and maybe talk. I really don't expect this to happen but it wouldn't surprise me if she doesn't actually perform but instead meets Shiho there and talks it out or decides to play or "whisper" (her "love song") for Shiho solo. Guess we'll see either way.

We do have an idea, yes, but the actual reveal is left to their performance that she's using to also let Shiho know, of course.

Yeah, I doubt the handshake was meant to be the reveal. She's not verbalized it yet, although it's pretty obvious what she'll say about her revelation.

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 4:22PM

Lan
joined Mar 7, 2020

b58 posted:

ch41 up on Mangadex

angry commenters captured Shiho and now she's disappeared and probably dead

Bruh

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 6:06PM

joined Mar 8, 2019

Don’t think Shiho will accept Aki’s word… Will Aki have to prove herself? And besides, just because she’s over Yori doesn’t mean she’s in love with Shiho. Will Shiho be more flexible about being friends now that Aki isn’t pining for Yori?

Is Hima gonna find her in the graveyard and drag her back just in time to see Aki sing about her? What will the next arc be?

joined Feb 11, 2022

I hope she's not thinking something like "meh, what's the point of even watching them perform? I already won anyways~" YOU STARTED THIS SHIT! at least have the decency to see it through.. but that's worse case scenario, right? I mean, there's no way right?

I get your point and it's valid, as it would be disrespectful of her to not even watch their performance, but it was actually Aki, not Shiho, the one that made the whole bet regarding the winner of the band competition.

Don’t think Shiho will accept Aki’s word… Will Aki have to prove herself? And besides, just because she’s over Yori doesn’t mean she’s in love with Shiho. Will Shiho be more flexible about being friends now that Aki isn’t pining for Yori?

Is Hima gonna find her in the graveyard and drag her back just in time to see Aki sing about her? What will the next arc be?

All difficult questions to answer right now. I'm particularly intrigued to find out what Aki came up with in the span of a single day. I don't think she could write an entire new song for obvious reasons, so maybe it's an old song that's special to both of them?

Whatever the case, I'm having a hard time imaging what kind of relationship they'll have moving forward.

last edited at Apr 23, 2023 9:30PM

ManuTheBloodedge
joined Oct 20, 2022

It would only be slightly more risky to bet against the sun rising in the morning, so no, not taking that bet.

I am however willing to bet on the somewhat less, but still depressingly propable course of events that the manga will never acknowledge that Shiho hurt Aki as well. Or at least, that this will not be discussed or referenced in any way by the characters within the story. Having a friend distance from you all of a sudden and without reason can really hurt, even lead to feelings of inadequacy and self-doubt. And all we got when the two were confroted was Shiho mocking Aki for staying friends with Yori, bitter as if Aki's love was something she was rightfully owed by virtue of being her friend, and Aki was in the wrong for "denying" it. She even tells Aki she is pretending to be friends with Yori, like it is not possible to stay friends if you are not loved back.

And to reference the ongoing discussion in this thread: This has nothing to do with Shiho as a character. All joking aside, she might make a great villain in a very different story, Shakespearian even. But the fact that her negative qualities and actions (like it was said before on here, has she done even one thing in the entire story that was not selfish?) are not recognized by the story as such is grating, especially after such a long time. Himawari got way more blowback for her actions than Shiho ever did, I mean come on.

To reply you must either login or sign up.