Forum › The Fed Up Office Lady Wants to Serve the Villainess discussion

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

I don't see it that way. Natori's feelings for Lapis come from her necessity for external approval. There's a reason every time Natori goes doki-doki for Lapis is when the latter acknowledges her efforts. But that need for approval is unhealthy. What Natori actually needs is to get a boost on self-esteem, and she can't get that from Lapis. It has to come from withing. Only then she will be ready to have a real relationship (be it with Lapis or Diana).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that despite appearances, I think neither Lapis nor Diana has broken Natori's shell just yet. Which means both of them have equal chances right now.

This got a bit long. Sorry.

But I think we agree on the shell but my argument is that Lapis' relationship with Natori has the ingredients to solve her issues and is working in that direction even with their limited contact. I'm arguing that Lapis does understand Natori's shell issue and in her brief moments with Natori, Lapis has tried to help Natori recognize her worth. That's part of what I was alluding to by saying that Diana does not fully understand what makes Lapis stand out and what Natori truly requires (as of yet).

This might be provocative but a lot of Diana's focus has been insular, a crush and wanting it to be fulfilled (and being sullen when it is not). Lapis on the other hand is more selfless when it comes to Natori and even is willing to push Natori away because she seems to believe it will help Natori solve her issues by being around other good natured people (Diana being one of them). The common "if you truly love it, you can let it go." Diana's focus is not so keenly attuned and she doesn't attempt to soothe Natori in a similar manner. Lapis' interactions mean something because Lapis is purposefully saying things to help Natori along with her core issues. The brief moment they had at the beginning of the chapter is one such example.

Lapis is aware of the issue in a way I don't believe Diana is yet. The only problem is Lapis is very busy at the moment and Lapis is also reluctant to fully say what is in her heart (for whatever reasons not yet revealed), so she touches on the issues (like begging Natori to relax and eat, as she's worth it) but does not get say it bluntly. Lapis has to keep things to her chest for the moment but what happens when she can speak more freely?

Edit: I'd also bring up that in chapter 5 Natori already began to confront her growing feelings for Lapis. After Lapis praised Natori but then said she would also work for the prince, Natori began to recognize that although she got something that should make her happy, she was not. Her so called "burning sensation." In fact Natori is scared of this feeling. She says "If I continue to ignore [this feeling], I'll be able to stay by her side."

She wanted to stay with Lapis, despite it all (going so far as to blurt out that she is Lapis's alone). This assumes that she has other reasons, besides being a good praised worker, that she adores Lapis already.

It's this act that Lapis recognizes and causes her to push Natori away in that moment (likely for a reason not yet revealed but possibly fear of something for Natori). This is what leads to the climax of the first volume and Lapis attempting to further even more space for the moment. Basically, Lapis is having to push Natori away, in order to prevent their coming together and Diana is having to work hard for her attention. But Lapis won't always have to push and even while pushing she's had large effects.

last edited at Apr 14, 2023 2:40PM

joined Jun 25, 2021

Are we ever gonna get a real hardcore villainess for these types of stories? Less "Oh I am just a misunderstood cinnamon roll" and more "You and your kingdom and your dog is going down" type of gal. It is easy to love a "villainess" with puppy dog eyes. Lets see how heroine deals with her feelings when her lover goes through soldiers like tissue paper.

if you look to korean villainess comics, while still the minority, you'll find a few that are much more on that side

joined Aug 20, 2022

goddammit i'm shipping natori and diana even MORE now, shoot. gotta keep telling myself they most likely won't be endgame

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I don't see it that way. Natori's feelings for Lapis come from her necessity for external approval. There's a reason every time Natori goes doki-doki for Lapis is when the latter acknowledges her efforts. But that need for approval is unhealthy. What Natori actually needs is to get a boost on self-esteem, and she can't get that from Lapis. It has to come from withing. Only then she will be ready to have a real relationship (be it with Lapis or Diana).

Basically what I'm trying to say is that despite appearances, I think neither Lapis nor Diana has broken Natori's shell just yet. Which means both of them have equal chances right now.

This got a bit long. Sorry.

Too long, to be honest. It's hard to read and even harder to pick up your points to discuss. I would appreciate it if you could summarize the main points so we can have a proper discussion.

joined Sep 10, 2022

Too long, to be honest. It's hard to read and even harder to pick up your points to discuss. I would appreciate it if you could summarize the main points so we can have a proper discussion.

Got it! Which points need clarification? Is it just long or is something unclear? I could just focus on one point at a time. Would you rather that? Everything there is necessary to explain the arguments I'm making, since I'm touching on a couple different things and wanted to do it all at once. Conversations here are difficult to maintain, so I often say what needs to be said fully and work from there.

last edited at Apr 14, 2023 3:56PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Now I wonder if Diana was always like this or if Natori awakened this side of her.

Natoris presence has already changed Diana's life, if it wasn't for her Diana would still be enchanted by her magic, now because of the near collateral damage incedent she sees it has something dangerous and the reason she isn't freaking out about it is because of Natoris approval

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Well Lapsis isn't getting much character Growth and overall she's harder to read. On the other hand Diana is much more open with her feelings and gets bolder each chapter.

Lapsis needs to step up her game

Lapis and Natori have a 2 way connection. Natori doesn't see Diana the same way Diana sees her. Diana's moments are all unrequited "please notice me my crush" while Lapis actually do connect with Natori.

joined Sep 10, 2022

We can continue off my response to the comment below.

Lapis and Natori have a 2 way connection. Natori doesn't see Diana the same way Diana sees her. Diana's moments are all unrequited "please notice me my crush" while Lapis actually do connect with Natori.

I'd agree. The final moments of chapter 5 are an example of Natori's growing affection for Lapis. That "burning sensation" that she felt in that scene can't be satisfyingly explained by Natori's desire for approval. She had just received approval, so much so that Lapis was recommending her to others. But it was the prospect of leaving Lapis's side that made Natori feel ill and caused her to speak out in a panic ("I belong to Lapis"). She's felt nothing similar for Diana yet. Lapis is just too busy at the moment and has left Natori in Diana's hands because she trusts Diana; and also seems to desire for Natori to have more independence. Lapis also seems to be afraid to show too much affection to Natori for whatever reason, yet she still has had such an affect on her regardless. In these small moments Lapis has shown that she understands what ills Natori (that being her self confidence etc.) and has attempted to assuage those issues in small ways by choosing her words carefully. Diana has had so much time with Natori, yet Lapis has done more in less time. This is part of why Natori has a stronger connection to Lapis than Diana at the moment.

last edited at Apr 14, 2023 8:15PM

Weiwei
joined Oct 9, 2017

Came for the villainess, stayed for Diana. Preparing myself to suffer.

joined Jul 25, 2022

Gawddamnit why is this so cute and wholesome

joined Jan 14, 2020

Uh, wasn't this chapter half-full of Natori calling Diana her favorite from the game? See page 14 and 19. Also 22, "I'm extremely warm now... don't do this with boys!"

And kabedon with mutual blush.

(I was looking at download, so '14' is https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_fed_up_office_lady_wants_to_serve_the_villainess_ch06#14 and so on)

joined Aug 18, 2022

Yep, Diana has no chance in getting with Natori :<

joined Aug 20, 2022

This series is so good!!

joined May 10, 2021

So, everything goes the same way of the original game, only, way gayer. Seems like a W if I'm being honest.
However, I still don't know which ship's my favourite, and which one will prevail but hey, Diana won some more point (again) with her crazy yandere-ish vibes during this chapter!

uzumakixhinata
joined Nov 7, 2013

I'm rooting for lapis. :)))

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

Natori is unknowingly raising two potential Yanderes at this point.

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

The only correct answer is both.

joined Oct 13, 2014

I was NOT expecting a love triangle. This makes things much more interesting

joined Oct 13, 2014

Indeed, both the correct and best answer

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

After reading chp.6, I was all but ready to fully hop aboard the Diana x Natori train (and I still kinda do) but hot damn! chp.7 Lapis shows up and reminds me why I love her. Lapis x Natori still otp. This story is so fuccin good. Best triangle I've read in a long time.

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Big fan of the goings-on of this chapter, and the way the story was spun to still follow the beats of the in-universe game's storyline but with drastically changed character dynamics and perspectives is infinitely amusing to me. I also want to think that this isn't the last we'll see the little familiar, but I do not know how this is gonna work.

There's also page 230, where Lapis' whole demeanor screams to me that something is amiss. I don't think she's (still) planning on taking advantage of Diana, and conversely, I actually feel that she sincerely cares for her, but the emphasis and framing on "you haven't lost anything yet" are just screaming.

...Diana has had so much time with Natori, yet Lapis has done more in less time...

This is a really nice observation. To be honest, I thought it is perfectly clear that Natori and Lapis have a much deeper and more personal and sincere connection than Natori and Diana. This may be me reading too deeply into things and/or imposing personal beliefs/experiences on the story and characters but as an example, Natori puts Diana on a pedestal as "her favorite", as in she's still just a character from the game to her. Well, probably not "just" a character, but you get my meaning. Compare that to Natori directly exclaiming that she belongs to Lapis while clutching her hand and it paints a rather clear picture.

I do not think anyone is out of this race just yet, but the developments between Lapis and Natori have been far more prevalent, obvious, and impactful, even when Lapis is on-screen for like half a frame. It is also absolutely clear that if anyone has gotten through Natori's shell it is Lapis - "she noticed... she sees me." as well as shown in chapter 7. Diana has not yet managed to do so even though she's definitely tried, and in my eyes, it partly lies in the fact that Diana is still "just" a character.

20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

Diana's yandere look when she sees Lapis and Natori is priceless!
And the Prince is shipping the poly route, what with "you're okay with destroying everything that's not Lapis or Natori", our homeboy showing his ship allegeance

last edited at Apr 15, 2023 5:40AM

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

This may be me reading too deeply into things and/or imposing personal beliefs/experiences on the story and characters but as an example, Natori puts Diana on a pedestal as "her favorite", as in she's still just a character from the game to her

I think this somewhat reflects Diana's view of "Natalie" as well. She wants to protect her, but has shown very little understanding of what Natori is looking for, what makes her happy. In this chapter again, what made Natori's heart beat for Lapis wasn't saving her, it was telling her that she has the strength and value to learn to love herself.

This issue has been going on since they first met, and Diana does not seem to realize it (at least in both this chapter and chapter 5, she's looking at Lapis with a blank stare, but doesn't seem to understand why Natori is choosing her). I'm pretty sure it's on purpose, though. As the heroine, Diana was "written" as someone the story will write itself around for her convenience, not someone who realizes what someone else is going through.

If this is going to go away, it would probably be through Lapis herself. She is knowledgeable and seems genuinely intent on helping Diana to learn more things. I really, really wish we had more interactions between Lapis and Diana because those two characters really complement each other.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Exactly. Love triangles are boring. Natori has two hands and deserves to be in a heroine/villainess sandwich. Diana also sees Lapis as someone important, so it isn’t like she’ll treat her as an enemy anytime soon (she doesn’t seem so immature to do something like attack the other because of love matters), and after the villainess drops the “purge all the commoners” bullshit these two will certainly learn how to share and grow into genuinely good friends.

last edited at Apr 15, 2023 5:54AM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

So there are two outcomes I see coming from how Natori's presence is shifting the existing character dynamics: 1) things between Lapis and Diana get even worse than canon because jealousy, or 2) Natori acts as a common cause that actually brings them closer together potentially resulting in either Lapis turning away from villainy or Diana turning to it as her tunnel vision when it comes to protecting the people important to her just gets more pronounced.

To reply you must either login or sign up.