Forum › Shoujo Manga Protagonist x Rival-san discussion

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Wasnt expecting incest but I can dig it.

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

Woohoo, Hiyama's successfully gaslit romance! Aggression never fails.
I love it.

last edited at Feb 21, 2023 4:41AM

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Wait, what. Square Enix is publishing this? Squeenix publishes manga? Are we getting a SMPxR RPG?!

Amimaidprofile
joined Mar 5, 2019

Wait, what. Square Enix is publishing this? Squeenix publishes manga? Are we getting a SMPxR RPG?!

er. you know Squeenix has published manga for a LONG time, right? like, AFAIK, Soul Taker was the first major hit from their manga mag.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Ooh we need more mother pseudo incest yuri………… actually, no. No we do not.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Best version of Cinderella yet. :D

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

Even in her dreams, Kimura gets off on Hiyama's aggression and it's lovely. She's got a kink.

last edited at Feb 21, 2023 7:36AM

joined Apr 26, 2022

Gosh, it has a continuation? I'm downn

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

2 volumes down, another 2 to go.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

er. you know Squeenix has published manga for a LONG time, right? like, AFAIK, Soul Taker was the first major hit from their manga mag.

Also Murcielago

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

I had stopped hoping for this manga to truly break the cycle of infinite resets, but color me impressed. Reading all of volume 2 has really been fascinating. The breaking point, the turn of the tide, it all came from that one date and dress. It is ironic that the date chapter was the last one I read, yet nobody could have predicted such a turn of events I believe.

Though I am truly glad that Kimura has flipped her switch and is now changing tracks without any breaks, it does feel somewhat... rushed? I may be overly critical with this, so pay it little mind, but during most of the manga the reactions from Kimura's side had been extremely subtle. Overall one could garner an increasing favorability towards Hiyama, but still our Shoujo protagonist seemed to reset anyway. However since the moment when she was sick and it was pointed out that she was so happy about the matching dress she has been in utter nuclear meltdown, in ways that not even her genre assigned male crush had ever done to her. Mind you I like this development, it just feels rather sudden. Truly like a switch was flipped. I suppose this manga never was much about nuance whether it goes in one or the other direction haha

last edited at Feb 21, 2023 11:05AM

joined Jul 29, 2021

Found this recently, and I just want to say I fucking hate Hiyama, what the fuck! From the start I was put off by her harassing Kimura. Like its not even a gag, there’s no joke, after like the second time its just straight up harassment. But she just kept getting worse! She’s just an actual asshole! Mizushima did not deserve to be done so dirty! She was a bitch to him his whole life, and then she pretends to be friends with him just so she can cockblock Kimura! What the fuck! It’s not wholesome! The date chapter is probably one of the most uncomfortable things I’ve ever read. Fuck Hiyama!
The only logical thing to do now is to pull a Kimura and forget everything that happened before chapter 25, cause it was actually kinda cute :)

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Though I am truly glad that Kimura has flipped her switch and is now changing tracks without any breaks, it does feel somewhat... rushed? I may be overly critical with this, so pay it little mind, but during most of the manga the reactions from Kimura's side had been extremely subtle. Overall one could garner an increasing favorability towards Hiyama, but still our Shoujo protagonist seemed to reset anyway. However since the moment when she was sick and it was pointed out that she was so happy about the matching dress she has been in utter nuclear meltdown, in ways that not even her genre assigned male crush had ever done to her. Mind you I like this development, it just feels rather sudden. Truly like a switch was flipped. I suppose this manga never was much about nuance whether it goes in one or the other direction haha

Idk, I’ve read it as, she’s starting to realize her feelings, and now that that’s happening, they’re rapidly expanding, as feelings tend to do. She’s never been very good at keeping her heart to herself, it’s just that she hasn’t had the courage to talk to the guy so he hasn’t seen how she gets. Hiyama, however, constantly approaches her, so she’s constantly forced to confront her crush.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Idk, I’ve read it as, she’s starting to realize her feelings, and now that that’s happening, they’re rapidly expanding, as feelings tend to do. She’s never been very good at keeping her heart to herself, it’s just that she hasn’t had the courage to talk to the guy so he hasn’t seen how she gets. Hiyama, however, constantly approaches her, so she’s constantly forced to confront her crush.

I can agree that there is a difference in approach ultimately, as Hiyama is incredibly vocal about being in love with Kimura and actively pursues her. That in itself could be enough to cause a different reaction.
My only counterpoint would be that Kimura was in fact able to hang out with and talk to the boytoy quite a lot, being on the same comittee and all. But in the few chapters where they did hang out she was far more subdued and at most worried about not being appealing to him. Even when people constantly talked about how Hiyama was a better fit for him, she showed barely any jealousy, but rather just felt like she wanted to be more like Hiyama. Yet now the mere idea that some guy goes after Hiyama makes her break down into an absolute mess and she actively interferes!

All's well in the end. To me this speaks for the idea that ultimately her "crush" on the guy was something superficial, as indeed this is supposed to be her assigned role. Maybe that is too meta, but it does feel like an obligation. Loving Hiyama, that is a feeling all of her own that she developed by constantly being given incentives for.

last edited at Feb 21, 2023 10:20PM

23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020

Thats a really good version of cinderella

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

All's well in the end. To me this speaks for the idea that ultimately her "crush" on the guy was something superficial, as indeed this is supposed to be her assigned role. Maybe that is too meta, but it does feel like an obligation. Loving Hiyama, that is a feeling all of her own that she developed by constantly being given incentives for.

Yeah, long story short: once Hiyama came into the picture, Kimura's affections fixated on Hiyama (like the library scene) but she rationalized those affections in a myriad of other ways (adoration, "she's amazing," "I feel like this around her because I want to be like her," etc.).

I wouldn't be surprised if she felt these romantic like feelings for a while now but didn't have a solid understanding of her emotions because Hiyama is a girl. We even have the later scene where she continues to assume her jealousy is for the boy, only to actually react when forced to witness Hiyama's (potentially) being taken away by the guy friend.

She had an idealized view of relationships and who she "should" pine for, but it's all flipped. The girl she thought she liked because of "adoration" is actually love, and the guy she thought she "loved" was actually just a friendly kind of like (with some shyness).

last edited at Feb 22, 2023 11:14AM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

i'm hopping in.... is this yuri or het given the tags lol

001q2gaply1h533fjj99pj60sg148tgw02
joined Sep 11, 2021

het is looming in the background while the yuri is actively self sabotaging every chapter

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Despite the premise there is no active het and no sign of it ever coming to fruition. If volume 1 leaves you uneasy, I suggest giving it the time it needs to grow into its own by volume 2.

Which does bring up a good point, I believe the het tag was never quite accurate nor necessary. Even in the earliest chapters it was at best portrayed as a one-sided crush that did not even get most of the romantic focus. Perhaps the Bisexual tag would have been more apt, as it generally encompasses stories where the bisexuality of the main character is pronounced or relevant. It does not seem to be more of a spoiler than the Yuri tag. After all if you wished to keep it vague a Yuri Crush tag would have been sufficient.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Which does bring up a good point, I believe the het tag was never quite accurate nor necessary.

Like how Yuri just means there's a girl in love with another girl, even if it's not reciprocated, the Het tag is appropriate because Kimura spends a good part of the manga crushing on a guy, regardless of whether or not they actually enter a relationship. At least that's how I interpret the tags.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

thanks all! i ended up catching up to ch28 just now and I think it's more yuri than het at this point, so that was a relief.

looking forward the next chapter!

Ovo
joined Jan 8, 2022

When will vol 2 drop? I can't wait any longer

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

finally shes falling for her >:3

The_Void_Dragon
joined Mar 17, 2023

Can someone help me. I'm mad confused by the chapter sequence. I read this on mangadex and after getting to vol 4, i searched it up. And found this and re-read from vol 1. First few chapters actually take place somewhere in between the first volume and the other chapters also kind of don't seem to have a continuous storytelling.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Can someone help me. I'm mad confused by the chapter sequence. I read this on mangadex and after getting to vol 4, i searched it up. And found this and re-read from vol 1. First few chapters actually take place somewhere in between the first volume and the other chapters also kind of don't seem to have a continuous storytelling.

Here you go.

To reply you must either login or sign up.