Forum › Nettaigyo wa Yuki ni Kogareru discussion

joined Mar 11, 2020

only on chapter 3, but holy shit how is this "subtext" it's more obvious than some of the series marked as straight yuri on this site, good grief! xD

joined Feb 1, 2021

only on chapter 3, but holy shit how is this "subtext" it's more obvious than some of the series marked as straight yuri on this site, good grief! xD

You'll see. Oh, god, you'll see D:

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I hope this gets like 5y anniversary special or illustration with a time skip or something

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Hope you enjoy yourlsef reading it completly, still one of my favorites <3

I hope this gets like 5y anniversary special or illustration with a time skip or something

That would be lovely.

I wonder how is Makoto Hagino doing? hope she is doing well

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

^
She's ten chapters into her new monthly serialization. Seems to be sci-fi? I don't think there are translations.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

^Thank you for the info!

very happy her to confirm she is already doing a new manga,hope it gets translated eventually.

joined Jan 10, 2023

You know, it's funny. I wasn't really interested in reading this for all those years that Hachimitsu spent scanlating this series, but I recently stumbled upon comments here and elsewhere that mentioned Hagino talking about her own loneliness and that finally got me to start reading it. And I loved it. It is a bit silly of me to only get into this work after reading up a bit about the author's own struggles with loneliness but I think that also set my expectations to be different from what a lot of other people wanted from this story. Yes, the subtext is there, and the ending can feel a bit too ambiguous for some people (me, internally: it counts as a date!), but ultimately, the story is about two lonely people who find each other and help each other to grow. With the added context of the author's struggles with loneliness, I realized just how much of her own feelings must have been poured into this work.

That being said though, I decided to check up on Hagino Makoto's social media stuff, and it seems like she pretty much nuked everything (unless stuff was linked wrong). Youtube account gone, pixiv gone, her own website gone, twitter still there but everything's been nuked except for a couple of retweets from years ago. Mangaupdates did provide another pen name for her and a different twitter account attached to that, but there's not much to that account publicly. (edit: I'm not sure if that twitter account is even associated with her, there's a discrepancy between the twitter join date and the mangaupdate page's last update date) I hope she's doing alright. I know the posts right above were talking about her new serialization but according to Mangaupdates that seems to have ended already with a volume compilation being released a few weeks ago. Not sure if that's accurate.

last edited at Jan 13, 2023 4:36AM

Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

Don't buy the Viz official translation. First of all, they got rid of all honorifics per their localization policy. It is okay in some cases, but I think a series that relies heavily on dialogue and nuance like this one suffers from such a change . And there are various consistency issues that stand out to a casual reader like me. Koyuki refers to Kaede by first name then switches to last name in the span of 4 pages (chapter 18). I guess the translator wanted to make the characters sound like they're on a first name basic (they aren't) but failed to apply the change consistently.

And then this blatant mistake in Koyuki's monologue (chapter 10) that could have been avoided with the slightest bit of attention:

In this scene Koyuki thinks about how she has changed because of Konatsu (fan translation). But apparently the translator didn't bother to remember the main character names, or he thought Konatsu was the one doing the monologue. Either way, this kind of careless mistake is unacceptable for an official translation from a major publisher. The quality control (or lack thereof) speaks volume about how little Viz cares about their products.

Mistakes aside, the translation zigzags between heavy localization at some points and playing it too safe at others. Early on the characters speak like stereotypical American teenagers (Can you imagine Koyuki ever exclaiming: "Oh man, this is gonna suck!"?) with a health dose of "yes ma'am" on the side. This is toned down soon, only to be replaced by dispassionate, by-the-book dialogue. At the fireworks scene (chapter 8) in fan translation, Konatsu asks Koyuki "Why did you call out to me when we first met?". The official version of this line is merely "Why did you speak to me?" which reduces the impact in my opinion.

It's not necessarily the translator's fault that this release quality is subpar. The translator, John Weery, is one of the main guys at Viz who are in charge of several weekly Shounen Jump series. Given his overwhelming workload on a weekly basic, it wouldn't be a surprise if this niche series wasn't high on his priorities (heck, he even made similar mistakes in the flagship mainstream series Demon Slayer). Not to mention that Nettaigyo is hardly similar to your average battle shounen in both tone and style. The real question is why Viz assigned this series to someone who was both overworked and unsuitable for the content, and why they failed to provide any degree of professional quality control/proofreading. Though we all know the answer is because they simply don't care.
/rant

TL/DR: Official translation is horrible with various mistakes, consistency issues, and overall just feels bland. Do yourself a favor and read the fan translation. Buy Japanese version if you want to support the author, but don't reward Viz for a botched job of a translation.

I know the posts right above were talking about her new serialization but according to Mangaupdates that seems to have ended already with a volume compilation being released a few weeks ago. Not sure if that's accurate.

I don't know where that poster got the info from, but I can't find any news about a serialization, let alone one with 10 chapters. Hagino Makoto's latest book that you mentioned is a collection of five short stories with sci-fi theme.

last edited at Jan 16, 2023 1:33AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

That's really sad, so many people would miss how great their interactions really are like that :(

But I'm more worried about the author now, I hope she's okay

joined May 21, 2021

What's happened to the author?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Early on the characters speak like stereotypical American teenagers [...]

I'm glad to see someone here agrees with me, that was really painful to read, to the point that I still haven't read more than the first volume of the official translation.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

youdontknowwho posted:

Pixiv deleted, youtube channel deleted and no website and her entire tweets removed except for 2 back in 2016 like she abandoned everything

last edited at Jan 16, 2023 9:00AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

youdontknowwho posted:

Pixiv deleted, youtube channel deleted and no website and her entire tweets removed except for 2 back in 2016 like she abandoned everything

Didn't she at first plan to retire as a mangaka after finishing this series? I seem to recall talk about this here already before its end, so her announcing a new series after it ended was a big positive surprise at the time.

joined May 21, 2021

^
She planned to retire after finishing her first ever series? And I still can't info on a new series. Do you happen to have a title?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^
She planned to retire after finishing her first ever series? And I still can't info on a new series. Do you happen to have a title?

All I've personally seen is the teaser at the end of this series.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Huh, the twitter got wiped very recently, or rather it was made private? It still says there are some 500 tweets on her account. That was where I checked her new series. I unfortunately cannot pull the tweets up anymore, but I think the short stories were published each split into two parts (thus 10 "chapters"). The compiled volume wasn't yet out so I didn't know it was not going to be any more than that.

joined Jan 10, 2023

^

I'm fairly certain they were talking about the collection of sci-fi stories that you mentioned in your earlier post. I think we were all confused because the end of Nettaigyo promoted her new project, which people took it to mean another series rather than short stories. Going by mangaupdates, it seems like it's just Nettaigyo and the sci-fi compilation. If there was another officially published work then it certainly flew under the radar, but I don't think there is.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Maybe she'll just go back to making Kancolle yuri doujins since another season is airing.

joined May 21, 2021

Jesus. The Viz translator couldn't make up his mind on how Konatsu addresses Koyuki. Heck, he literally couldn't keep it consistent across 2 consecutive pages.

And here we go with the misnaming again (same page for reference). You would think that after nearly 8 volumes, the translator would finally remember the two main character names. But apparently it's too hard to remember that the light hair kouhai here is called Konatsu, while Koyuki is the black hair senpai on the other side of the phone. How someone screw up 'translating' names in the first place is beyond me.

Of course the important moment arrives in chapter 28 when Koyuki asks Konatsu to call her by her given name, signaling a change in their relationship. Except that in official translation they are already on first name basic at various points previously. Gotta give it to Viz for their quality translation.

Koolplayer12
4f458f0ca382c3704f458f0ca382c370robocopfp1
joined Apr 11, 2022

Wow that was a great read.
It's something

inactivehunter
V_1_25
joined Sep 26, 2022

A friend told me to read this when I got the time, and boy I really enjoyed it

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

BTW is there any update on hagino sensei, how is she doing and what she's up to?, I'm kinda worried

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Is impossible to get updates, the author most likely moved on from making manga, maybe she will do it with a new account somewhere else but with a different pen name.
Is not like she simply went missing and left things in the air (that would be the worst case), all her accounts were wiped out so it was by choice.

Yandere%20=%20423182%20-%20copy
joined Nov 29, 2013

Today I got this shit as feature series... Seriously who did this?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Today I got this shit as feature series... Seriously who did this?

Ooh, nice! Not just one of the best yuri series I've ever read, but one of the best manga in general. Still the 3rd place in my MAL top 10 even now after having lost its 2nd place some time ago.

To reply you must either login or sign up.