Forum › Be Careful, Onee-san (Serialization) discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Does anyone else get irritated at the "a cold is a debilitating disease, life-threatening even, caused by getting wet" trope in manga?

A cold is a mild infection caused by a virus.

A cold is usually a mild infection, but it can be more severe and can lead to complications in the form of other infections. That's why it's important to take care of it properly. Symptoms this severe aren't common, but they're more likely than a 5'6" 10 year old with a d-cup.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I want to quote this from Elevown,

She also hadnt been taking medicine or eating and drinking properly- mighta been mostly dehydration.

I think that's an important factor that is mentioned in the story. As someone who has had various times where I haven't eaten or hydrated properly I can testify in my experience at least that it's no joke. Where the room spins and standing up is difficult, and most of these experiences were when I wasn't sick on top of it.

joined Jul 26, 2019

The famous visit of the sick woman ^^ cute chapter! curious to see until where the interaction of the two characters can go, at the end it will forcefully be necessary a jump in the time!

40a8dbf0-eaf4-4e6f-94f9-e071435c9adc
joined Dec 29, 2015

Thank you for keep translating this! I love every chapter T~T
I did see the cold thing coming but was still cute and fun!

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I expected it too- after the rain. But even without that, the person getting sick and looking after them chapter seems almost obligatory lol.

joined Nov 21, 2022

@Saskabush - I know being cold doesn't give you a cold- but being cold and wet DOES increase your vulnerability to catching one because it messes your immune system up- so if you are then exposed to the virus you are less likely to fight it off easily.

If things worked the way they do in comic, then Canada, Norway, Finland, Russia, Sweden, parts of the US, etc would become quickly become depopulated.

joined Sep 27, 2017

^I expected it too- after the rain. But even without that, the person getting sick and looking after them chapter seems almost obligatory lol.

I think also with this series especially, the age and height gap of the younger but bigger character taking care of the older but smaller character is a fun dynamic.

Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

Everything in the story makes it feel like I'm wrong. But, it really feels like Mai Chan is some amnesiac who thinks they're a grade schooler and her parents taking care of her somehow got the school to go along with it.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^ To just paste my earlier response to this -
Unless you think her friends, the school, her parents etc are all in on some kinda grand conspiricy to pretend some adult is really a child.. for some improbable reason that is far less likely than a tall kid.

In america, from what i could find out, about 1 in 300 or so 11 yr old girls are 165cm. Mai is about 168ish cm- and Japanese are smaller on average too- and she wasnt even 11 yet in the earlier chapters- so maybe she is like 1 in 20,000 or something, but this kinda thing does happen.

And amnesiacs forget memmories- they dont revert to childhood. And Mai has shown no sign of confusion or that she doesnt remember her past.

last edited at Jan 4, 2023 11:23PM

joined May 1, 2015

Asking to hold hands smh.
Marry her first. Damn pervert.

joined May 29, 2021

Wouldn’t be a yuri manga (or well any romance manga) without the requisite “nursing while sick” chapter.

joined Oct 12, 2017

Something is up with this.
I've been reading this from the beginning and I get why people keep saying she must have amnesia or something, because there's just something bizarre happening here.
The writer is approaching the subject matter in earnest - at least, as much as any romcom with any other adult or similar-aged pair might - goofy background shenanigans included. You almost expect a "happy ending"? So there must be an explanation. Right?
But no.
I don't think there is.

I think I enjoyed this more when it was a dorky shortform comedy. It didn't make me think about the consequences. I could just laugh at the jokes and move along. However, the author is asking us to take into consideration that Mai is a giant who often seems perfectly aware of what she's doing and saying that, perhaps, this isn't as problematic because Tae couldn't possibly force Mai into anything. But that isn't how that happens all the time. It's why so many survivors of minor attracted adult lovers often blame themselves.

I don't know. I like the characters and I hope things work out for them. I'll probably keep reading.
But having a wee bit of a struggle here in my little corner.

joined May 10, 2021

Man I cannot wait until we get a timeskip with the both of 'em somehow living happily together.
Every big flirt Mai moments are darn great, but also make me feel a bit guilty inside smh

joined Sep 27, 2017

Man I cannot wait until we get a timeskip with the both of 'em somehow living happily together.
Every big flirt Mai moments are darn great, but also make me feel a bit guilty inside smh

Turns out Mai didn't stop growing and in this timeskip she's now 12 feet tall, now she carries around her wife in the palm of her hand.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@Mu I doubt it will get serious- its either gona stay unresolved and end more or less like it is now- with Tai having the odd guilt trips as they get closer but nothing develops as of the end. OR - we will get a time skip - or they will become a promised couple- i.e they learn they have mutual love but agree to wait till mai grows up.

We are not gonna get them hooking up in a physical relationship with Mai age 11 - im almost positive - so im pretty sure this manga will be safe to read and enjoy mostly lightheartedly.

joined Jul 2, 2020

In america, from what i could find out, about 1 in 300 or so 11 yr old girls are 165cm. Mai is about 168ish cm- and Japanese are smaller on average too- and she wasnt even 11 yet in the earlier chapters- so maybe she is like 1 in 20,000 or something, but this kinda thing does happen.

I'm 167cm and have been stuck that height since i was 12, back in the day i was considered to be super tall, but as you age it stops being weird, now id say i'm kinda short ;-;

joined Jul 18, 2022

I can't believe they just did pre-marital hand holding. How lewd

KenshiroEverydayLifeIsFun
joined Dec 22, 2021

I think several people in this forum may need mental health help. This is first and foremost a manga. You don't have to question the setting and turn into a long thread of arguments. Too much of an age gap and you don't like it? Just read other manga and nothing is wrong with that. Why would you feel the need to spin a narrative that Mai is actually an adult? That's even more unrealistic imo.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

@Saskabush - I know being cold doesn't give you a cold- but being cold and wet DOES increase your vulnerability to catching one because it messes your immune system up- so if you are then exposed to the virus you are less likely to fight it off easily.

@ SSJMadara not gonna happen sorry.. Unless you think her friends, the school, her parents etc are all in on some kinda grand conspiricy to pretend some adult is really a child.. for some improbable reason lol.

Mai-chan is like 1 in never ever happening in real life but Author -san pulled it out of their very vivid imagination.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Turns out Mai didn't stop growing and in this timeskip she's now 12 feet tall, now she carries around her wife in the palm of her hand.

I wanna read it

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Now this would be a fun turn of events

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

How can Mai-chan be so perfect...? ^_^

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

@Mu I doubt it will get serious- its either gona stay unresolved and end more or less like it is now- with Tai having the odd guilt trips as they get closer but nothing develops as of the end. OR - we will get a time skip - or they will become a promised couple- i.e they learn they have mutual love but agree to wait till mai grows up.

We are not gonna get them hooking up in a physical relationship with Mai age 11 - im almost positive - so im pretty sure this manga will be safe to read and enjoy mostly lightheartedly.

There's also the itou hachi route where a grown woman dates a grade schooler and the people around them supports and cover them
The possibility is low but never 0

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think a lot of readers don’t realize how often mangaka develop particular series simply because they want to draw some specific thing or things—not to tell a specific story or to develop a certain theme.

I’d bet money this series came from the urge to draw a small adult and a big really young person, with whatever hijinks ensue.

To reply you must either login or sign up.