Forum › The Story of Unforgettable Witch discussion

Mistress Trupin
joined Jul 24, 2018

The rules:
- Every day repeats an average of 5 times, the amount is entirely random.
- When tomorrow does come, a random day from those repetitions is chosen as "canon" to reality.
- Only Ayaka is aware of this, and remembers everything in perfect detail.
- More rules to come. It gets wild. Read and enjoy :)

So it's not always the last day, then? That's interesting. That suggests the criteria is not trying to get a specific thing to happen.But rather something is taking a large sample size and picking the best one.

If by best you mean worst for Ayaka, you'd be right

OneEyedOthinus
Bikko
joined Feb 17, 2022

So, so far it's two girls who both know they're trapped in an endless loop of redoing the same day ? it's somewhat similar to Fragtime no ?

More like endless eight from Haruhi Suzumiya

God please no not again.
I had forgotten about endless 8...

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

This is stressful. I wouldn't want to vividly remember all the days that has happened in my life, I think no one ever wants that. And if that happens to me, I wouldn't be surprised if I become the perfect hermit. I would rather have the power to erase memories completely. Also, this would mean that her brain is far older than her current age because she's basically repeating days several times before moving on to the next and remembering all those memories that were also in the loop.

Every day repeats an average of 5 times, the amount is entirely random.

She's basically around 75 years old already but stuck in a teenager's body and experiences. That's beyond comprehension.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 5:19AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I can already see upsides. Especially for a reader. Everyone else doesn't remember, but I do--I don't have to re-read the same thing five times. I have five times as much reading time, five times as much studying time. Not only that, for anything that mostly requires memorization, like history, I only need to read it once because I remember everything. If I feel like, I can be a massive child prodigy, skip grades and whatnot. Or I can just study as much as everyone else, but have four days out of five for video games.

Even if I generally end up with the worst version out of a group, I can probably mostly limit that--anything bad that happens to me on the first of a set, I can avoid or mitigate on future days. If I acted exactly the same all five-or-so day-versions, then random variation might make one of them worse and that be the one that follows on--but that random variation probably won't have a bigger impact than my actions to avoid the first day's now-anticipated problems, so in practice I could usually limit it to "What gets picked is the first day of the set".

As a precaution I could also make sure every "first" day to collect some info I can gamble on (sports, stocks, whatever). Not to make money because a day when I gamble myself a windfall wouldn't get "picked" as canonical if it's always my worst day that gets picked. But if something bad happens on some day, that I really don't want to become the "set past", I can overwhelm it by also making a bunch of money that day, leaving the "chooser" with a quandary.

If I have or take up a nerdy, otaku-ish hobby, I could be a social lion in that circle because I'd have five times as much lore (or more, given my eidetic memory). I can hone my social skills by trying social interactions various different ways on different days and seeing the reactions; sure, in the short term I may get whichever day was worst as the day other people remember, but in the medium term I can quickly stop making stupid social mistakes that my age-mates are still totally making.

Really, game this right and it has some serious benefits.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 12:57PM

Moddedpolka2
joined Oct 9, 2016

Art is very nice. And I'm intrigued about the plot. I definitely will read more.

Screenshot%202022-03-25%20015936
joined Mar 24, 2022

I have five times as much reading time, five times as much studying time.

On the downside that also means that you need to buy five times as many books and while you don't have to study as much you still have to do the same homework five times in a row.

If I feel like, I can be a massive child prodigy, skip grades and whatnot.

First of all this would pull a lot of attention and not everyone is comfortable with it. Second, what happens after you finish school? At least in school what you actually do in class doesn't matter as much, as long as you have good grades. At work on the other hand she would have to do the same work five days in a row, essentially giving her a minimum of 25 five days of work without brake

But if something bad happens on some day, that I really don't want to become the "set past", I can overwhelm it by also making a bunch of money that day, leaving the "chooser" with a quandary.

That's actually an interesting idea

I can hone my social skills by trying social interactions various different ways on different days and seeing the reactions; sure, in the short term I may get whichever day was worst as the day other people remember, but in the medium term I can quickly stop making stupid social mistakes that my age-mates are still totally making.

I mean you could definitely try, but it's more that you have to keep in mind which day was chosen. On one day you might have gotten close to somebody but that exact day might not be chosen, making you complete strangers from their perspective. And depending on your emotional investment this can seriously hurt, especially when it happens over and over again. Also, you always have to keep in mind what happened "canonically " since the rest doesn't remember ever telling you certain things while you do. It can be the little things, like information about their family, what train they take to school or big things that completely changed the impression that you have of them. You have to consistently pretend that you don't know these things because as soon as you slip up they are gonna get suspicious.

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

I am interested in this manga. In just two days there has been two new mangas that seem very good so this will be nice for future me.

last edited at Aug 23, 2022 7:55PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Or I can just study as much as everyone else, but have four days out of five for video games.

Another user already pointed out that you'd need to do the same homework 5 times in a row, which would be incredibly tedious, but wouldn't video games also become incredibly boring themselves? You'd have to replay the same thing over and over again and all your progress would constantly be lost.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

5 times as much onanism time.
Became a grand master of your own domain.

joined Feb 10, 2022

Somehow the art style reminded of this thing hibike something... anyway

joined Jun 21, 2020

Finally this novel got a manga adaptation!!! I’ve been waiting for this for about a year! <3

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 7:22AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Having to do each day over so many times would totally suck! And I think it would be nearly impossible to keep straight what happened on what day- you'd be a mess and always confused about the past- im posititve it would stand out to everyone else.

Its a really interesting idea for a story tho and im curious to see where it goes - just super glad i dont have to live it lol.

last edited at Oct 21, 2022 10:54AM

66f-1
joined Dec 27, 2020

Wow that is heart breaking

joined Feb 22, 2018

I'm gonna take a guess here, and say that Ayaka is jumping between parallel universes. She actually lives across several worlds simultaneously, which she perceives in a linear fashion, but afterwards she can only follow a path established by a "dominant day" chosen at random by mathematical variables. Her existence is defined by disjointed timelines, and an infinite of her parallel selves are similarly uprooted. The author is probably a fan of Fragtime, but decided to escalate things to a cosmological degree.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Thanos: you too are cursed with knowledge

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

i'm new to light novels so i wasn't aware of this one
that being said... this hurts to read, but i loved it so far

joined Dec 18, 2020

This is amazing. I really like the serious tone of this manga, I can see how other authors would have made the premise more fun or comedic but this one went fully dark with the parents and her background. Definitely one to keep an eye out for.

joined Mar 15, 2015

This is an interesting premise, but the manga is definitely heavy on the internal monologues, so you can tell that it's a light novel adaptation that lifts a lot of the text from the manga(although I'm sure a fair amount of the first person narration got cut out). It reminds me a little of Adachi and Shimamura in how it has a highly introspective and relatively unemotional main character who does a lot of thinking.

Oh, this is cool!!

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Some very strong resonances here with the real-world abuse of autistic children for not having the "right" emotional reactions or otherwise not acting like how children are "supposed" to act, right down to the accusations of somehow replacing the imagined neurotypical child their parents expected to have.

joined Apr 15, 2013

Simply having perfect recall would be bad enough. What a pointlessly cruel existence. I'll be interested to see more of this series.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Waiting for the dark-haired girl to say « WHATEVER YOU DO DON’T BECOME A MAGICAL GIRL! »

Also like the opening scene of Kotarou-san, the goal here isn’t plausibility but maximum pathos for the MC. It’s an actual tear-jerker, not a diagetic sad couple of chapters.

last edited at Oct 21, 2022 7:43PM

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

While interesting, I don’t think our protagonist is particularly bright given her supposed age. For one it would be REALLY easy to determine which day was chosen. She just needs to keep a journal and mark down a number for each day. Which ever number is kept when the next day comes around is the day that was chosen.

Also, it would be actually pretty easy to prove what’s happening with the help of 1 other person. This person wouldn’t even have to know about her condition. Simply ask them to generate an word file with a ton of randomized words. The next day after the word file is generated she’ll ask to be told a specific number word in the sequence. Whenever a day is chosen she can reiterate all the words she learned from the days that weren’t chosen, proving she has information she couldn’t have.

last edited at Oct 21, 2022 8:11PM

Fb_img_1661673023328
joined Sep 3, 2022

this is one of the greatest light novels that ever existed. so glad to see a manga adaptation for it . you guys are in for an amazing read .

Where do you read light novels ?

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Where do you read light novels ?

Many places, quite a lot. novelupdates.com and Bakatsuki.org are where I would start.

So, so far it's two girls who both know they're trapped in an endless loop of redoing the same day ? it's somewhat similar to Fragtime no ?

More like endless height from Haruhi Suzumiya

I'm afraid i don't have the reference.

Half the people reading this wonder if it's kinder not to clue you in. [read at your own risk] Because Endless Eight was notorious. Haruhi put her section of the universe in a time loop lasting thousands of repetitions. To convey just how miserable that would be, the animators RE-ANIMATED THE SAME DAY week after week after week, making only minor changes, ruining the second season of Suzumiya Haruhi, and ensuring there would never be a third season, and harming the entire franchise, including the light novels. The first lines "Kyon-kun, denwa" "Kyon, you have a phone call" became the most hated lines in all of anime.=

last edited at Oct 21, 2022 8:24PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.