Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

joined Jan 21, 2020

At this point my biggest worry is that they wont have Shiho apologize or feel bad at the end of her arc. Like if she gets to reconcile with every1 without rectifying or at least adressing how much of an ass shes been to every1, thatll be severly disappointing (but im afraid thats what we might get).

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

This is consistent with Shiho's flaw of running away from things without seeing them through properly when things start not going her way. She quit the violin when someone better showed up, she left bands when she couldn't connect with the other members, she didn't even try to give Aki the letter anyway. There's no way she can move forward until she stops acting that way.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I'm starting to suspect Shiho may win the battle after all - since this time it will be her turn to sing her love song. If Hima an convince her to, at least.

I mean yeah sure it sucks that the person you like doesn’t like you back but why does the author have her make it seem like she was cheated on like it was this super dramatic trauma and hates the other person for no particular reason at all. Doesn’t really make me like her character at all and I never liked her character that much either because it was obvious she hated yori because she liked the other girl

Eh, I mean, it's easy to sit here and judge, but the timing could not have been worse for Shiho to find out about Aki's feelings for Yori right at the time she was at the absolute highest point with her own, having finally written that love letter after so many tries and happily coming over to see her to hand it over. The despair feels so much deeper the higher the fall. Not saying Shiho has been right to behave the way she has, but it's certainly understandable why she would feel the way she does.

At this point my biggest worry is that they wont have Shiho apologize or feel bad at the end of her arc. Like if she gets to reconcile with every1 without rectifying or at least adressing how much of an ass shes been to every1, thatll be severly disappointing (but im afraid thats what we might get).

There's no way Aki would let her get away with that.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 5:09AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I feel like I understand Shiho better than ever. I find myself able to care about her less than ever.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 9:17AM

Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

It feels like there is a lot more hate directed Shiho's way than I think she deserves. Not in the "she isn't an asshole, why does everyone want her to apologize way" but in the way that she is clearly intended as a way for us to keep a relatively happy relationship for Yori and Himari.

Because Shiho exists, we don't have to deal with a long drawn out will she/won't she for the main two. They can remain with just tiny squabbles but at the end of the day still be together. Shiho is pulling lal the relationship drama bullshit onto her character and just sucking up everyone's hate. I think the only real issue is that we've gotten so little time spent with Yori and Himari lately. I'm hoping as this arc starts to wind down the pendulum swings back, but the drama has to come from somewhere, and thankfully the biggest thing they've dealt with is "when is the right time to kiss".

joined Feb 11, 2022

Poor Shiho. Yes, she is childish, selfish and some of her actions can't be justified, but I totally sympathize with her.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Kabu- posted:

Poor Shiho. Yes, she is childish, selfish and some of her actions can't be justified, but I totally sympathize with her.

I think the main problem wasn't that she couldn't connect with the band or the person she loved in a romantic way but that she's a loner, no friends at at all beyond band members so her behavior in general was never questioned or talked about, she struggled all on her own, reached conclusions all on her own and ended up alone over and over again... The first person that could've been her best friend died and then the second was love at first sight... Unrequited love, Geez, talk about bad luck.

I don't hate her anymore (maybe because I'm tired of doing it lol) but this chapter was kinda... unnecessary, like, things went exactly as aaaaaaaaaanyone could've expected, beside we pretty much knew that things played out more or less like this since like a year ago or two? and now we see it and is like, oh alright.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 10:14AM

joined Oct 4, 2017

Kabu- posted:

I think the main problem wasn't that she couldn't connect with the band or the person she loved in a romantic way but that she's a loner, no friends at at all beyond band members so her behavior in general was never questioned or talked about, she struggled all on her own, reached conclusions all on her own and ended up alone over and over again... The first person that could've been her best friend died and then the second was love at first sight... Unrequited love, Geez, talk about bad luck.

I don't hate her anymore (maybe because I'm tired of doing it lol) but this chapter was kinda... unnecessary, like, things went exactly as aaaaaaaaaanyone could've expected, beside we pretty much knew that things played out more or less like this since like a year ago or two? and now we see it and is like, oh alright.

Maybe what Shiho needed most is a friend like Himari, of course without the entire drama of the battle of bands that exist right now.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I wouldn't really say "unnecessary". Her feelings are not the new information here, we got that the last time. What we have here is an absolutely beautiful view of her getting all giddy over her feelings, which can never be a bad thing, and the truly heartbreaking moment of her finding out about Aki's. Sure, we had the general idea of what had happened, but actually seeing all this was still something entirely different - I certainly would never have expected to see Shiho behave quite like she was during her time with Aki, and while we knew Aki loving Yori was the reason she broke her ties with the band, until now we had no idea how devastating the moment she found out about it was.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I’m getting kinda tired of how formulaic yurihime series are. Every single high school romance seems to play out the same these days, you have the main couple and the rival who predictably gets paired off into a side coupling, and at some point all the stories just start blending together

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I think my issue remains that I don't like to be told how to feel about a character and a situation. It feels like the author and the manga wants me to understand and be prepared to forgive Shiho, and I don't feel either of those things. We've all read a million stories with exactly these type of scenarios where the characters don't act like huge jackasses. I'm sure many of us have also been in Shiho's position of knowing the person we like likes someone else and haven't turned into raging assholes about it.

Put another way, if Shiho was a guy, then she'd be an incel, a "nice guy", or just a plain bully, and I don't think anyone would want her to have a redemption arc.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

luinthoron posted:

I wouldn't really say "unnecessary". Her feelings are not the new information here, we got that the last time. What we have here is an absolutely beautiful view of her getting all giddy over her feelings, which can never be a bad thing, and the truly heartbreaking moment of her finding out about Aki's. Sure, we had the general idea of what had happened, but actually seeing all this was still something entirely different - I certainly would never have expected to see Shiho behave quite like she was during her time with Aki, and while we knew Aki loving Yori was the reason she broke her ties with the band, until now we had no idea how devastating the moment she found out about it was.

It was cute, right? but for me, seeing her acting cute was the only thing that could justify this chapter (because we really did not need to see her suffering even more) And also, remember the visits to the grave? that was intense, well told (from the panels to the writing) and one of the best parts of Shiho, changing with every visit, opening herself. There, we knew how happy and then heartbreaking it was from her own mouth, It was such a nice time for her to the point where she didn't want to agonize over being the best anymore because she was just happy with the band and in love, Because I really loved that part, I found that re telling it like this wasn't needed, at least not for the entire chapter.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think my issue remains that I don't like to be told how to feel about a character and a situation. It feels like the author and the manga wants me to understand and be prepared to forgive Shiho, and I don't feel either of those things.

I agree with this part--we certainly could have had a "battle of the bands" as the central focus of conflict without the whole narrative getting wrapped around a (to me) not-very-interesting antagonist. I too know how the story wants me to feel about Shiho, and clearly some readers are responding as desired, but I am not among them.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

So note the moral of the story: Be proactive. Our heroine got the girl even though there were two other girls in line in front of her, because those other two never did anything.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I wouldn't really say "unnecessary". Her feelings are not the new information here, we got that the last time. What we have here is an absolutely beautiful view of her getting all giddy over her feelings, which can never be a bad thing, and the truly heartbreaking moment of her finding out about Aki's.

I really don't quite understand her reaction, or even why that was heartbreaking as such. So she had a rival--OK, not best possible scenario, certainly a reason to worry, but not a reason to give up.

joined Apr 6, 2021

Wow. Yet another Shiho backstory chapter that fails to make me sympathize with her in any way. Boo hoo so you got (indirectly) rejected. That is not an excuse to become such an insufferable garbage person. It’s even worse cuz she didn’t even bother trying, she just saw that her crush was into someone else and was like “fuck this shit I can’t stand being around you all, now I’m gonna leave, start my own band and try my best to fuck up the relationship of someone I’ve never even talked to because my crush likes her. And ruin try to ruin her girlfriend’s friendship with my crush and her band too because I want scorched earth.” If that’s not overreacting/overcompensating then idk what it. No one even knows why she took a complete 180 on her personality and wants to ruin everything they like.

And also… WHY IS SHE EVEN STILL ACTING LIKE THIS!? She knows Aki got her heart broken, she knows she’s single, so why does she not even try to ask her out or something??? The entire conflict is happening because she’s too much of a coward to make a move on her couch. Aki is literally on the rebound right now and Shiho is more focused on being a bitch than taking a chance on her. At this point, Shiho DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE WITH AKI. Actions have consequences and Shiho should not be forgiven by anyone in this story, least of all being Aki

Nothing changes, Shiho still sucks all the life out of this series. Idk why I put myself through this every time a new chapter comes out.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 3:23PM

joined Mar 23, 2022

it's sad to see her give up without even trying like gurl doesn't she have a chance now that aki no longer have a chance with her unrequited love to yori.
seriously if she even tried her luck she might have a chance from aki on the first place and no need for this loong drama.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 3:28PM

joined Mar 23, 2022

her witnessing how her crush smoosh her backhand on her face touched by her crush, then deciding to quit in the band. wow she must be so disgusted seeing it.

joined Mar 23, 2022

So note the moral of the story: Be proactive. Our heroine got the girl even though there were two other girls in line in front of her, because those other two never did anything.

@purple library guy , two??wait who is the other one?are we talking about hima or yori?

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 3:33PM

Ani_no_yome
joined Jul 21, 2020

Shiho still sucks all the life out of this series.

Best way to put the situation. Her melodrama always gets me close to putting the series on hold but I don't want to miss out on the goodness between our main duo.

joined Feb 10, 2022

Sad af
Well both most precious girl was "stolen" by somebody else. Aki was stolen away from Shiho by Yori, and Yori was stolen away from Aki by Hima.
I wanna see Hima being like a wingwoman and help those two at least to reconcile.
Both Aki and Shiho are not able to move on because they are still holding those one sided feelings. I think Aki should confess her feelings to Yori and get a proper rejection from Yori. Same goes for Shiho. If possible after getting to know their feelings and finally be able to breathe, hopefully they start getting along well and why not? Start dating cause I wanna see them together in the end.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

This chapter added some subtle context to these pages. Namely how extra hard Aki criticising Shiho's singing hits Shiho when it's another singer she's crushing on.

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 5:22PM

Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

Shiho needs to let Aki go, i mean if the author it's taking the love by pitty second plate arc , i don't want that. Like with Aki being so in love with Yori and Shiho being so insecure about herself, relationship it's going to be hell for both of them.

Yeah I was like, go get the girl my idiotic lesbian Shiho, but Aki can't let go of Yori and man Shiho has to attend her issues first to heal and stop being so immature and egotistic and appreciate their friends and the band who's keeping on with her wishes.

But I Love Shiho and still it's the most real character for me, cause yeah, it's like the end of the world at that age knowing that your first love it's deeply in love with someone else but also prefer her voice over yours. So

last edited at Oct 20, 2022 7:24PM

joined Feb 11, 2022

Both Aki and Shiho are not able to move on because they are still holding those one sided feelings. I think Aki should confess her feelings to Yori and get a proper rejection from Yori. Same goes for Shiho. If possible after getting to know their feelings and finally be able to breathe, hopefully they start getting along well and why not? Start dating cause I wanna see them together in the end.

I think only Shiho hasn't been able to move on from her unrequited love.

And Yori will learn the truth about Aki's feelings at some point, but because Shiho will be (directly or indirectly) the one responsible for that happening.

Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

The most annoying thing for me is that the whole drama is 100% in Shiho's head. She never managed to interact with Aki in a romantic manner, and neither Aki did with Yori, yet she already created the whole narrative on her own and now she is "ending it" on her own too.

Aki is just living her life, moving on from her own heartbreak, not being toxic to anyone, and Shiho is in the corner, being all moody, overdramatic, trying to... I don't know... stick it to Aki? Or Yori? Meanwhile, Yori is also completely unaware...

I have to agree with the statement that she wandered in from a different manga. She feels like an overdramatic emo kid surrounded by a bunch of peppy cheerleaders.

You are describing a person with anxiety, stressing out about the most insignificant things and making all kind of scenarios inside their heads, something that Shiho have being showing since the first episodes, also she came from a competitive environment like classical music, it really ruins you at some point, at least me can relate to that. It doesn't justify Shiho's actions towards Yori and the SS girls, but at least she is trying and knows she's annoying af, and c'mon they're like 16 years old, i don't know why people want teenagers act like grow up adults.

To reply you must either login or sign up.