Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

7c3371fc-1218-42e3-9009-8520d7f626fa
joined Sep 15, 2020

Some people need to understand that backstories aren’t always meant to make you sympathetic to an antagonist/villain, it’s to create an understanding and reason WHY they do something or carry their beliefs, regardless of its warped or not. You don’t have to agree with something to understand or vice versa.

While I do disagree and hate with how they turned out to be and what they’ve chosen to become, it is understandable why they developed such awful mentalities. They were children backed up into a corner and when the people in positions of power were abusing their power instead of being the people trying to mediate the dangerous situation but instead flaunt their power even more.

It is a tragic and unfortunately very common problem than what people think, especially with how unchecked some people are. While I disagree and despise with the prez and vice prez, Satsuki needs more resolve and provide a solution to them to before she gets it through to anyone.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Akira still best girl. For Satsuki, at least. :-)

Anyhoo, the way I understand the whole StuCo situation, the Prez is the kind of highly intelligent person who lives so deep inside his own head that he basically has no grasp of social reality around him. Unfortunately, the person he has latched on to as his moral compass (the VP) is so heavily traumatized, she happily rewards and reinforces his murder spree. So on the one hand, we have a moral guide who is so alienated from humanity, she views murdering fellow kids as an appropriate disciplinary tactic; on the other, we have a guy with spooky powers who gets his advice from her and views himself as an impartial superhero protecting the good from the bad (has he actually ever been bullied himself?). In short, a train wreck.

last edited at Oct 6, 2022 5:16AM

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Does this mean we can go back to Satsuki and ditch the two?

I get all those points about this flashback, but it boils down to the girl being bullied and the guy finding himself as some defender of justice or the meek or whatever he tells himself to make himself sleep better at night. Did we need 3 chapters of this is my question? Because it's pretty dull. The backstory was, like everything in this manga, over the top, which didn't help and we already knew the outcome of how it would turn out. Teenage punisher duo. Tbh. I "liked" them more before learning about the circumstances. At least then they were menacingly mysterious and all that. Now I know that this is just a power fantasy. Great.

Also, nice job bullying Satsuki who for all we know didn't do anything terrible. I guess the longer you stare into the abyss yadda yadda. Like I said before, I don't care what the purpose of this was. Make me understand them or make them sympathetic, it's just that it was sort of pointless to make it this long and regardless of length boring. The appearance of the two in the story already made this take a turn towards the "meh" but filling out 3 chapters with them was definitely a big oof

But flashback aside, what's the end goal of this arc? Will they realize the fault of their way? Or will they have to die? Because that's also one thing that made me dislike those two, the fact that either the author will suddenly dig out a masterpiece solution, or that'll just end up like a wet fart.

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

The point of this arc is that the straight people are not as good or cool as the gay people. Lol

Jokes aside, context is cool, and it is really sad, but they just end up turning into the type of person the teacher was for different reasons and those two will probably not see that point until some other arc.

joined Dec 21, 2016

Akira is in for a surprise

03fca6214046e15b1cbd7ed7cd767b1a
joined May 26, 2020

idc about the both of them, what matters is Akira's still alive

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

And another one bites the dust!

And another one down, and another one down, and another one bites the dust!

Chad%20narukami
joined Feb 28, 2022

People hating on the backstory arc but I think it was invaluable to the characterization of the villains. This was important everyone, narratively essential. Cut the author slack, they set out to make hate-able characters and certainly succeeded!

sweetjalapeno15
Ne
joined Nov 21, 2017

GUYS GET OUT OF THE WAY AKIRA IS HERE

B9236d1235202138436b1a383c5c82c8
joined Jan 26, 2021

Impressive, very nice. Let's see Satsukira moment.

joined Mar 25, 2019

Satsuki rn is that "the world is an unjust and cruel place, OMG Akira" meme

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Man, what a laughably absurd origin story
This series feels more and more disconnected from reality

Also, I'm glad the best character has finally returned

last edited at Oct 7, 2022 4:10PM

Bildschirmfoto_2018-08-23_um_21.02.14
joined Jun 13, 2012

I actually do not agree with this flashback arc being pointless. During growing up, a child is very sensitive to its surroundings. So Sayo, who never got protected by others and suffered on her own, finally found someone who is not ignoring her struggles and actually does something to help her (even if those methods are morally wrong). Thus, from her perspective as a child still in development, it makes complete sense why she was thankful and encourages Kai to move forward. Because how could she not, nobody has shown her any other method that works to help someone, except Kai.

So, I think this chapter is not only here to give us some insights into why the student council couple is acting the way they do, but also to hit society with a huge hammer. Because even today, a lot of suffering could be avoided if society would actually look and help those who are suffering instead of turning a blind eye out of convenience. If this would not be the case, those two children would not have to go to such drastic measures. I think this is the main message this chapter wants to express, not to make us feel sorry for Kai and Sayo.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Bc seeing the bodies of ppl that will die in the next 24hrs is by all means something thats totally connected to reality...

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Bc seeing the bodies of ppl that will die in the next 24hrs is by all means something thats totally connected to reality...

The way I think of it there are layers of believably in a fictional story even if it has fantastical elements

Early Liar Satsuki chapters had grounded itself in relatable issues and traumas that yeah connected to our reality

I think these last sets of chapters are so absurd though that it feels like they've crossed the Rubicon into crazytown

joined Sep 28, 2022

to be fair the very first chapter she jumps off the third story to crash into a falling metal sign, it's been rather over the top from the getgo I think, as someone who marathoned the entire series a week ago or so the backstory for prez feels right in line with the rest, like how satsukis dad is a doctor so he WORSHIPS LIFE, it makes some like intuitive sense but if you really stop and think about it it's kinda crazy

unrelatedly, I think it's very interesting how Komachi acts has changed since the start too, in chapter one she seems more genuinely concerned for satsukis wellbeing, more normally afraid of death and such, less weirdly passive and accepting of all things, makes me wonder if her shift is cause she's the living dead (in a manner of speaking) or if it's something else

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

As far as the tragic backstory goes, I'd be willing to forgive the one murder (of an authority figure that clearly and deliberately caused permanent disfigurement and psychological trauma to a child) had they stopped at one. But hooboy, that pair looked at the slippery slope and decided to put on skis.

Bare minimum, that puts the prez at 2 count of premeditated murder, 2 counts of conspiracy to commit murder (Miho and Seo) and also actively choosing to not help save an only-best-of-intentions teacher, to try manipulating Satsuki into swearing fealty to him... If he tried doing the "some people shouldn't be allowed to live" shit on me, I could only mournfully nod in agreement and then yeet him out the nearest window. VP too, at the rate it's going.

The story seems to be focusing primarily on testing Satsuki's resolve to save everyone and to never lie. To be honest, for the latter, she could really benefit from learning the merits of not stating the full, unabridged truth.

I am firmly on the Satsuki x Akira ship, since Akira brings the good sense to balance out Satsuki's crippling naivety, while Satsuki's resolve has repeatedly kept Akira from giving in to visceral and apathetic impulses. And to be honest, I'm empathetic towards victims of domestic abuse.

That being said, whole cast x therapy is a ship I'll man the engine room for any and every day of the week.

The manga's a surprisingly quick read. I binged it all in one night.

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

When is the next chapter dropping around here?

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I'm sad about Satsuki's mental state but at least she's still in her element saving people and explaining the dangers of anything that could kill you. Even nature wants Miho to die.

07~2
joined Oct 5, 2022

Fun police Satsuki is one of my favorite moments now.

joined Sep 22, 2021

Looks like everywhere the MC go there is people dying, which mean she might be the cause. It looks pretty obvious at this point though :D

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

Looks like everywhere the MC go there is people dying, which mean she might be the cause. It looks pretty obvious at this point though :D

It's just the nature of drama in fiction. We never see the uneventful "we scanned a nebula and found nothing interesting" missions in Star Trek. Or a day in Peter Parker's life where no nut in a colorful costume makes his life miserable.

joined Mar 19, 2022

As soon as I saw what was happening I was like "yeah, it's a rip". Do they not generally teach people what those are in Japan?

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

Look like Satsuki is going into saving people paranoia overdrive. Honestly not surprising given somebody finally did die after all the work she did to ensure people wouldn't so now nobody is allowed to do anything that would have even remotely the chance of endangering their lives.

Certainly not a healthy way to cope but then again I don't think Satsuki had been coping very healthily about death to begin with.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Look like Satsuki is going into saving people paranoia overdrive. Honestly not surprising given somebody finally did die after all the work she did to ensure people wouldn't so now nobody is allowed to do anything that would have even remotely the chance of endangering their lives.

Certainly not a healthy way to cope but then again I don't think Satsuki had been coping very healthily about death to begin with.

The saddest part is that Akira seems to be the only one to realize Satsuki has been severely traumatized by watching a classmate be fried to death right in front of her eyes. Gee, who would have thought?

To reply you must either login or sign up.