Forum › Liar Satsuki Can See Death discussion

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Kind of a bummer that we didn't get to see Kai brutally murder the teacher. That'd be an interesting scene — to see the boy snap.
We just got this last panel, and something tells me this can pretty much be the end of the flashback. Hope I am wrong.

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

I am curious about Satsuki's parents, what happened to the mother, that led the father to behave like that, or the short blond girl, is she evil or is does she only blackout as a safety mechanism? To me, those two characters are just not captivating, the boy is a psycho and the girl had like 10 lines before those 2 chapters, but ok, background story it is. Is it close to the end?

Oh, I forgot, why leave a kid near an acid in any hypothesis, a strong one for making that burn, and how did it not leave a scar?

last edited at Sep 9, 2022 12:08AM

joined Sep 17, 2014

I wish this manga would have stuck more to Satsuki playing sudden death detective over having some ridiculous Anti-Satsuki villain duo.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Oh, I forgot, why leave a kid near an acid in any hypothesis, a strong one for making that burn, and how did it not leave a scar?

It did leave a scar, it's been shown before. But yeah, the responsibility would still fall on the teacher, regardless of whether she claimed it was an accident or not. I doubt she would have simply gotten away with that (or at least the mother shouldn't have let her get away with that). This backstory is so over-the-top that it doesn't make me feel anything towards the kids. Not that I had expected their actions to ever become justified through a backstory, but still, it could've been better than this. I just hope it ends and we can go back to the present soon.

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Jan 2, 2022

I'm not too sure what the point of the backstory is, since it sure doesn't make them sympathetic. I wouldn't reject a plot where traumatized kids with superpowers have decided to take revenge through violence and we're expected to empathize with them, but after showing that they actually find killing people fun in chapter 51, I don't think that was the purpose.

Maybe it's just to show that even though they like killing, this didn't come out of nowhere and they had reasons to turn out like this? That addition would make sense, I guess.

I just hope I'm not wrong. If this all turn out into a "they were victims first, let's support them and just forget about how happy they were about killing before", I'd find this pretty annoying.

Image_push%20(3)
joined Nov 2, 2019

So the teacher is not just a participant in the bullying, but has organised it herself. Even "better".

There remains the question of how Kai awakened the power.

joined Apr 29, 2019

jumping the shark ho!

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

I'm not too sure what the point of the backstory is, since it sure doesn't make them sympathetic. I wouldn't reject a plot where traumatized kids with superpowers have decided to take revenge through violence and we're expected to empathize with them, but after showing that they actually find killing people fun in chapter 51, I don't think that was the purpose.

Maybe it's just to show that even though they like killing, this didn't come out of nowhere and they had reasons to turn out like this? That addition would make sense, I guess.

I just hope I'm not wrong. If this all turn out into a "they were victims first, let's support them and just forget about how happy they were about killing before", I'd find this pretty annoying.

The purpose of a backstory is never to justify, but to understand how someone/something came to be, this is just explaining that they werent evil from the beginning or that even if they had a predisposition, what happened to them was just a push to become

last edited at Sep 9, 2022 8:10PM

joined Jul 28, 2020

Seeing kid Kai gaslight everyone up to an adult teacher was hilarious, I must say I'm looking forward to any future backstory chapters.
While I understand the complaints about their backstory being too over the top to be effective from a narrative perspective, that's just the manga in a nutshell imo. People "die" by the dozens in increasingly complicated ways with visual effects on the level of a Slasher movie while the protagonist's sole remaining braincell rarely helps because it's busy recalling forensic knowledge most of the time, not exactly the formula for something meant to be taken 100% seriously.

So I think the zanny backstory fits this manga perfectly.

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Finally gave this a try and I gotta say this is a very fun manga to follow, but at the same time, it's very frustrating. The sudden appearance of the villainous duo didn't help with that and completely shifted the premise of the whole deal, and I won't lie, I don't much like it.

I thought it would be about becoming a better person or some corny stuff like that with the "seeing death" part being both the pull-in as well as the "igniter" for all that to happen.
I don't mind the over-the-top reasoning for the prez duo to be the way they are, as someone mentioned a few times, this manga is pretty bonkers in its own way, so it's fitting. I also understand why such character(s) exists in a story like this. To show a "what if" scenario, a mirrored version of what you could do with such stuff. I'm not sure how seeing dead bodies help you kill people and get away with it but... I mean, sure.

The issue I have with it is that it stuck for too long and it seems like it's becoming some kind of an ongoing thing. Like the manga shifts towards some odd death-note territory. And if that's the goal here to change into that kind of thing, no amount of cute moments between Satsuki and Akira will save it.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

I wish there was more Satsuki and less other (unexciting) characters. :[

So,%20lesbians%20square
joined May 5, 2022

Ah yes, how to pass a rag to your antagonists to try to justify their actions: create someone shallow who is crueler to them for no apparent reason, that will maybe make them look less bad

i don't think the point is to make them less bad but to address how they deal with those circumstances. arguably, satsuki is in a pretty shitty position too where she and her friends get the short end of the social stick pretty often, but she goes out of her way to save people no matter what. antagonist-kun here sees cruelty and thinks that the way to react to it is with even more cruelty (however deserved in those admittedly shallow examples it may have been).

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

The way Komachi was drawn on the Vol. 5 cover made me think it was the VP (the eyes specially). Had to do a double-check to notice the hair accessory.

(Maybe her rather uncharacteristic expression on the cover is foreshadowing to her being the true villain. Maybe I am reading too much into it.)

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Geez, the Vol 5 extras sure make Komachi look sketchy. It's good to see her original facade slowly disappear but this is quite a difference, to the point that this looks like spoilers for just how far Komachi could go. Well it's already well-established that she's wired without concern for life, and Ryouko-sensei has proven she can make that complex and compelling. The question now isn't if Komachi is dangerous but what kind of dangerous Komachi is.

last edited at Sep 22, 2022 12:23AM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Geez, the Vol 5 extras sure make Komachi look sketchy. It's good to see her original facade slowly disappear but this is quite a difference, to the point that this looks like spoilers for just how far Komachi could go. Well it's already well-established that she's wired without concern for life, and Ryouko-sensei has proven she can make that complex and compelling. The question now isn't if Komachi is dangerous but what kind of dangerous Komachi is.

You are absolutely right!
And this page pretty much sums up the dynamic.

Komachi: [acting sus]
Satsuki: [useless lesbian can’t spot a psycho]
Akira: bruh wtf

Akira also being us.

Fb_img_1685314561718
joined Mar 16, 2022

Ah yes, the vol 5 cover indicates that Komachi being the true heroine.
I like it.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

yeah I really love how the maid extra makes komachi looks just extra suspicious. But also like Satsuki.... she didn't realise it was poison???? Come on girl and you believe her??? haha.

last edited at Sep 22, 2022 7:21AM

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

The biggest mystery of all is whether that huge pile of corpses in chapter 1 was caused by Komachi

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I miss happy Satsuki like you wouldn't believe.
The composition of this cover's amazing, though I'm surprised Ryouko's so openly playing around with evil Komachi. The phrasing on the back of the book, "You want to die? I think that's nice/死にたいの?いいと思うよ," is the same as back in chapter 22, when Komachi was giving the OK to everything.

Volume 5 has less changes overall than volume 4, but one significant change in chapter 48: the student council's suggestion box has gone online and the messages are more detailed. They mention Seo extorting others into bullying, along with a few more explicit descriptions like "playing darts" by throwing pens at a girl's head. Might be relevant later.

Image_push%20(3)
joined Nov 2, 2019

Damn, the new cover is great. Well, and that scene with the poison was really funny.

It's unbelievable how trusting Satsuki is for Komachi xD

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

It's unbelievable how trusting Satsuki is for Komachi xD

Or everyone, really... Remember how quick she was to trust Seo? She's too kind for her own good

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Volume 5 has less changes overall than volume 4, but one significant change in chapter 48: the student council's suggestion box has gone online and the messages are more detailed. They mention Seo extorting others into bullying, along with a few more explicit descriptions like "playing darts" by throwing pens at a girl's head. Might be relevant later.

You mean we can read the full messages? Do you have a link? I'm curious now.
Seo might be the "villain" for this next arc. Apparently StuCo arc will stop for a bit after Michi(?)'s death, so I wonder if the antagonist will shift. Seo might be a good option. Out of everyone who was saved by Satsuki, she seems to be the truly explicitly rotten one (if the suggestion box messages are true).

I've said it before, but it's all hinting at Komachi playing a bigger role in the story (true antagonist maybe), but for now she'll probably stay in the background (or just barely show her true colors), even if the Vol.5 cover confirms homegirl is dangerous.

last edited at Sep 22, 2022 7:02PM

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

Wow the Author really isn't holding back with sus Komachi. now I'm just waiting for when the President keeps thinking that he is so smart just for the big reveal that Komachi was the master mind behind everything all along

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

in my humble opinion i think we need a maid satsuki spin off

Fr7bgrpvcaamcjc%20(1)%20(1)-1%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Jul 9, 2021

Can someone please tell me what's the color of Satsuki's eyes? on some art it's red and on other art it's green

To reply you must either login or sign up.