Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Aevangeline posted:

Meta -
I think a lot of the meta debate needs to be moved into another thread because it’s becoming a massive buzzkill to see the same people arguing in the comments over the arcana of translation and what does yuri REALLY mean, to the point that it’s drowning out any and all discussion of the actual work. I dropped out of grad school to get away from people arguing the enjoyment out of everything I found interesting, and it’s really bad vibes to see that sort of circular argumentation happen here. It’s just really tedious y’all.

Yeah, that's super unfortunate when it does happen. But I don't find that to so much be the case here, as various unrelated discussions seem to take place here quite persistently. I spotted very little hoarding, too. To help, I counted all the posts from August 27th until your post. Just keeping it to the types of comments you're highlighting, I saw 3 posts on "the arcana of translation", and 13 on "what does yuri REALLY mean." That would be 16 of 190, if my overall counts are correct. Now, there were some other topics that didn't necessarily relate to the manga, but most of them were non-sequitur, or came and went quite quickly.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to see more discussion of the manga to focus their attention on that. In my counting I noticed that whenever new chapter discussion came up, wlftchtr82 was always there, lurking in the shadows...(to their great credit, of course)

Conversely if one really feels the thread is going off-the-rails, I'd encourage them to report it in the Help thread. Some meta discussion is tolerated, but doing so at the expense of more related topics is very much discouraged.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

bosto posted:

The story continues at a slow-but-steady clip and I'm fairly confident will have a good resolution,

but what if it ends on a "girls can't do that" and twitter explodes then burns down then explodes again, wouldn't that be fucked up or what

Can't be that bad a thing if it helps rid the world of twitter.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

The story continues at a slow-but-steady clip and I'm fairly confident will have a good resolution, but "A new semester of Don't Ask, Don't Tell" may just take the cake as the most unpleasant chapter title for a yuri manga ever.

Why tho? To me it actually strikes as a nice title to mark the start of “phase 2” of the manga. So far the story has been about omission and miscommunication. Now that Aya knows Mitsuki is lying, it really has become a “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” situation. The miscommunication takes new form now.

Kirin DID take some liberty in picking this expression for the TL, but I think it’s fitting.

The og title is 訊けない同士の新学期, which (according to Google lol) translates to “A New Semester Between Us Who Can’t Ask”. Pretty much stating that the new semester means a continuation to their misunderstanding because both parties avoid having a straightforward conversation. (At least for now)

joined Feb 17, 2018

God I love the art. I just want Arai Sumiko to tell me my art is good. Is this... is this what it feels like to want senpai to notice you?

Kirin DID take some liberty in picking this expression for the TL, but I think it’s fitting.

The og title is 訊けない同士の新学期, which (according to Google lol) translates to “A New Semester Between Us Who Can’t Ask”. Pretty much stating that the new semester means a continuation to their misunderstanding because both parties avoid having a straightforward conversation. (At least for now)

Man that tracks with the literal meaning of the words don't ask don't tell but as an idiom it conjures up the opposite meaning to me. As a policy it was as long as it's not explicitly acknowledged we're going to pretend it's not there. That's not a miscommunication that's an implicit agreement.

Also everyone in this chapter is very dramatic about som cobwebs getting in hair lol

I'm tired of arguing about the best way to interpret a single line from a single interview. None of us know for sure what Arai Sumiko thinks "yuri" is. What we do know is she hasn't hesitated to show wlw romance in literally all her other works, and there's no reason to think she's suddenly grown cold feet now.

!!!!!!!
Exactly!
Now can we please just appreciate the art and music refs? And that the plot is moving along?

This interview came out so long ago, the heck

Not me over here eagerly waiting for the mail to arrive today for a used pair of Carhartts to wear like older Mitsuki. Nope. Definitely not. I would never.

Also HIGHLY recommend Surf Curse's new single Self Portrait. That shit goes hard with the dirty guitar, holy shit. Also, I just love the music video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1-tOscaKE

last edited at Sep 10, 2022 12:17PM by

joined Feb 5, 2020

I want a serenade chapter

Ani_no_yome
joined Jul 21, 2020

Uh oh, she's gonna learn to play the guitar. Aya's defense won't stand a chance.

Rsz_179c167fc9b4721436df18247349318f9_1_2
joined Nov 29, 2019

Why is the uncle such a cool guy, I probably like him the most out of any character in the series

I wonder if uncle ever had to do a serenade when he was her age? He seemed like he knew what to do instantly once he started to gather what the actual problem was. Also fantasic coloring as always!!!

joined Apr 16, 2022

Laying the groundwork for this image

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

What a chad uncle.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

uncle of the year, needs his own side story lol

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I wish my uncle was like that.
Instead I'm stuck with a flat-earther and pseudo-historian conspiracy theorist.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

The serenade scene is coming.

oops seems like you beat me to it

last edited at Sep 11, 2022 8:05AM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I wonder if uncle ever had to do a serenade when he was her age? He seemed like he knew what to do instantly once he started to gather what the actual problem was. Also fantasic coloring as always!!!

Don’t think he knows whats going on tbh. I am pretty sure he is talking about Mitsuki’s relationship with music, not Aya.
So he has no idea what caused Mitsuki to not want to listen to music (which is obviously loosing a friend with whom she could bond over music)

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

"Anyway, here's Wonderwall."

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Uh oh, she's gonna learn to play the guitar.

What the Uncle said sounded like she has already learned how to play the guitars he had lent her, she's just never owned one herself.

last edited at Sep 11, 2022 8:23AM

Ani_no_yome
joined Jul 21, 2020

Uh oh, she's gonna learn to play the guitar.

What the Uncle said sounded like she has already learned how to play the guitars he had lent her, she's just never owned one herself.

Ah crap, you're right. Eyes went over that text.

joined Aug 12, 2022

She already has a guitar, you can see it in Chapter 8 when she is removing the black nail polish.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Ooh. Some advice that can be applied to more than one thing.
Thanks for being so wonderful, uncle.

joined Jan 10, 2022

I guess Mitsuki cares for Aya much more for her to be depressed enough not to listen to music for a while. Wonder when she'll realize she's romantically attracted to Aya? What a cool uncle! Wish I have the same, hahaha

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

The serenade scene is coming.

oops seems like you beat me to it

And you beat me too haha

I’m glad the Twitter subtitles were added… gives a little more character to the chapter :)

Oof. I blame the lead water pipes from the 80s and earlier. Not even kidding. Definitely had some effect on my older family members once they mentally checked out starting traditional retirement age. Suggested to my dad that he take some classes if he was bored, and he straight up told me that he was done with learning. It wasn't even four months later that he started down the conspiracy shit. Me being lgbtq+, we can't even talk now because he can't control his mouth (like mentally, you can see it in his eyes, it's heartbreaking) and doesn't have anything to talk about except whatever Fox-Facebook-Qanon slush combo he's digested.

Take your parents to concerts, museums, libraries, and encourage continuous learning, folks. Take a community college course together during a weeknight (many will let you audit(?) them for free). Anything to keep them interested in life and intellectually stimulated. Mental decline is absolutely no joke, and there are predators in the media that are always gunning to take advantage of that.

Besides, there's way too much good music out there nowadays to not go experience it!!

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Oof. I blame the lead water pipes from the 80s and earlier. Not even kidding. Definitely had some effect on my older family members once they mentally checked out starting traditional retirement age. Suggested to my dad that he take some classes if he was bored, and he straight up told me that he was done with learning. It wasn't even four months later that he started down the conspiracy shit. Me being lgbtq+, we can't even talk now because he can't control his mouth (like mentally, you can see it in his eyes, it's heartbreaking) and doesn't have anything to talk about except whatever Fox-Facebook-Qanon slush combo he's digested.

My uncle doesn't follow western media, not even Fox or QAnon, and balkan Facebook is much less crazy than western Facebook. In fact, my uncle is kinda anti-Western. Certainly anti-German and to a somewhat lesser extent anti-Anglo. Flat-Earth aside, most of his conspiracy theories, including all of the pseudo-histories, are of the Serbist school of pseudo-history and conspiricism.

Take your parents to concerts, museums, libraries, and encourage continuous learning, folks. Take a community college course together during a weeknight (many will let you audit(?) them for free). Anything to keep them interested in life and intellectually stimulated. Mental decline is absolutely no joke, and there are predators in the media that are always gunning to take advantage of that.

What with my mother being a teacher and my dad being huge into history, and with both at times engaging in conversations with me and others to learn from each other, I think they would be very much down for that (if we can afford it)

Besides, there's way too much good music out there nowadays to not go experience it!!

Yeah. Unfortunately most of the newer music they get exposed to nowadays is stuff neither I nor much of my family really like, despite the music's popularity with much of my generation, so they generally tend to go for stuff ranging from the 70s to the 2000s, while I find newer songs that are sadly more obscure here, even if such music may be popular internationally or at least in certain online communities.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

"Anyway, here's Wonderwall."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

To reply you must either login or sign up.