Forum › Throw Away the Suit Together discussion

I
joined Mar 3, 2022

Why is this series labelled Ecchi? It doesn’t particularly strike me as that, at least from what I remember

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's actually real easy to find odd jobs in Japan, like, any konbini will hire someone on the spot, as long as they look OK enough.

High School students are expected to take part-time jobs if they want some pocket money.

The problem is of course that the pay is really low and you're expected to do overtime, with a smile.

So, there's a whole chunk of Japanese adults, the freeters, who just live with that because they can't, don't want or don't feel like getting a full time job. They are seen by the rest of society as burdens.

"The no alternative type could not find a decent job before high school or university graduation in the system called "simultaneous recruiting of new graduates" (新卒一括採用, Shinsotsu-Ikkatsu-Saiyō), which is unique to Japanese society. Those left behind by Shinsotsu-Ikkatsu-Saiyō are forced to take low paying irregular jobs." (source: wikipedia)

last edited at Jul 19, 2022 3:02AM

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Ouch, and here i am trying to find a part time job

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Life is hard, but still happier than it was in Tokyo. And now that they've properly talked about what to do next, things are looking brighter again, even if not necessarily easier.

Ani_no_yome
joined Jul 21, 2020

sometimes even when you read a lot of yuri hidden gems like this still manage to escape from your grasp. glad I decided to check it out, cause some stuff really hits close.
wish all the best for our main duo, they're a treat to watch together.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

I love how they actually communicate with each other, y’know, like an actual couple

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

This series never ceases to be depressing and wholesome all in the same chapter every single time man.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

matea posted:

sometimes even when you read a lot of yuri hidden gems like this still manage to escape from your grasp. glad I decided to check it out, cause some stuff really hits close.

It was hidden in plain sight then. It's one of the most popular series in Yuri Hime.

Ani_no_yome
joined Jul 21, 2020

matea posted:

It was hidden in plain sight then. It's one of the most popular series in Yuri Hime.

With good reason then, happy about that. Didn't see great follower numbers on MD and Anilist when you consider the quality but guess that's how it is sometimes.
Also makes me realize I'm a dumbass for not paying closer attention to magazines overall, probably easiest way to find things to read.

NamiBlueFeather
Riinu
joined Jun 10, 2019

The scenery and landscapes always look so great. Easy to picture the whole scene from a few panels

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

I can relate to this so much. I was working some part time jobs after finishing college and having fun everyday and not thinking about the future. Got a 9 to 5 "real job" a few months ago and all I do is work now and too tired to do anything on day offs. A stable income with no time to enjoy it, wish life was more than that.

Modern life is a bit of a sandwich. You start with 18 relatively carefree years, work/live/play until 65, then ride off into the sunset.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

I like this manga, because right off the bat we know that the two MCs are a couple already, for quite awhile. It actually make the story much more convincing. Also by showing affection, and not having to worry about taboos, is nice. Nobody bothers them. I doubt they can do the same thing in Tokyo without having people looking at them putting judgement.

joined Sep 6, 2018

I like this manga for its portrayal of the difficulty of couples trying to stay together despite lack of salable skills and money. I shudder at their possibility of having to support any children, too. This happens all too often stateside. Couples love each other at too young an age, then realize it’s better to break up to earn higher wages apart than staying together.

This manga is one of my favorites.

joined Sep 6, 2018

May this series get picked up for sale in english stateside.

Yurifan Extraordinaire
joined Sep 26, 2021

^^^Agreed. It's not everyday that you have this sort of couples vs the world (or couples trying to get through life) kind of stories

Illustration2
joined Sep 25, 2021

The overall tone is quite happy, but I can’t help but be worried as each chapter passes.

I’m glad that they are talking money, because that’s the most worrying aspect.

I think my other worry would be “job satisfaction.” While Hii-chan seems like the type to be OK with any jobs as long as it gives money for her to be with Haru, while Haru seems to be interested in “the drive to keep going”. I don’t know if I’m making sense.. I guess to me Haru feels unsure of this whole thing, less than Hii-chan at least.

I don’t know why I’m being extremely cautious, even though this manga has been mostly happy. I guess it’s because I’m not used to dealing with the uncertainty surrounding the setting of the manga. This is much harder to deal with than the regular 9-5 despair. The 9-5 dread is at least predictable and ensures that people are being fed, while this manga’s sense of uncertain happiness makes me worry about even the littlest things.

last edited at Aug 19, 2022 2:36PM

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

The scenes where the anxiety set in are gorgeous, the expressions really sell me on that painful dread. A+ I love it

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

i thought this was supposed to be a wholesome story, not one that highlights the soulless, brutal reality of life in a modern capitalistic world and the hopelessness of it all

joined May 10, 2021

Maaaan... Why can't they just be happy for a little while.. I just hope they're gonna talk about it together, like they did before.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

i thought this was supposed to be a wholesome story, not one that highlights the soulless, brutal reality of life in a modern capitalistic world and the hopelessness of it all

I actually find this particular problem a bit odd. Are there really a ton of recent college grads beating a path to sleepy little islands to compete with our pair? I can see having trouble finding jobs, but more just 'cause there ain't hardly any. There aren't a lot of jobs in little rural places because their economies tend to be shrinking, few customers in the shops, few opportunities to start something new because there wouldn't be demand for whatever your product. But I wouldn't expect most of the job offers that exist to be looking that askance at college dropouts.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

That's one of the biggest problem in Japan. If you're not a college graduate of "something", you basically can't be hired for a desk job. Especially women. Even if it's a job you can do without any degree. The classic: no diploma no hiring, no hiring no experience, no experience no hiring.

Western job market is a bit more flexible, but Japanese companies hire almost exclusively graduates. And hiring non graduates would probably provoke anger in the already hired staff ("I bust my ass to graduate, why is this person getting the same job as me") even if the person is uber-competent and it would lead to workplace bullying.

I was looking at a video for people wanting to live in Japan, and the guy was like: have a degree. It'll make things for you MUCH easier. People will respect you. If you don't, they'll look down on you and you'll have a hard time finding a job.

joined May 9, 2017

I was looking at a video for people wanting to live in Japan, and the guy was like: have a degree. It'll make things for you MUCH easier. People will respect you. If you don't, they'll look down on you and you'll have a hard time finding a job.

It's not only to find a job, it's necessary to get a working visa as well. That's why a lot of companies reject foreigners without a degree, as it's much more complicated to get a visa without one.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I hear that with Japan's aging population, the working age cohort is shrinking rapidly already, so can the Japanese society really afford a) to keep young people in college for five (?) extra years each and b) to deny young people who want to start contributing to the economy earlier (and thus for longer) entry to the workforce? Sounds like shooting yourself in the foot to me.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

In brighter news, volume 1 got a reprint and Keyyan began looking for an assistant to help with backgrounds. So the manga seems to be taking off. Volume 2 will be out in October; I assume there's a standard month break since it's not listed in the next issue of Yuri Hime.

Less exciting trivia: the newlywed Megumis live in a town called Ozuki on Kikyo Island in Kochi Prefecture (高知県小月市桔梗島). The last time that name appeared was on their marriage certificate in chapter 6, but I misread the handwriting a little.
As far as I can tell it's not a real island.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Maybe Hinoto can attend remotely and just travel back for exams? She might not have to go back for the whole year.

To reply you must either login or sign up.