Forum › I Don't Know Which One is Love discussion

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

I don’t understand the mentality of someone who reads a harem series and doesn’t want it to end with a polycule.
Do they just enjoy watching half the characters get their hearts broken or something? I’m genuinely curious what they get out of it.
(Obviously not everything has to be polyam, but it’s really underrepresented in media, so I’d like to see more of it and harem series are pretty much halfway there already so,)

well from what I see in harem anime like the quintessential quintuplets, people always root for their fave to end up with the mc. it's like a competition really.

I also sometimes have one character that I really like and root for her but I'm okay with poly too. like in Tachibana kan triangle, I was hoping for them to end up in a poly relationship.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

For me, I just don't want to wait in line for "my turn" or be forced to love or try to love multiple people when I'm only interested in one, even if that person it's okay loving me and 2 others, there will be time when we're going to have to make important choices like living in a house, economy, even considering children or other stuff that would require a partner's full time and consideration... So for that to work, EVERYONE would have to be alright with poly and everyone would need to love the others and we already have one who absolutely despises the others just for their smell lo/ but of course, if we're talking about University life and living in the moment without worrying about the future or full commitment, yeah I think that would be fun, if everything miraculously works that way, but if getting one to be okay with multiplicative love sounds hard, imagine getting 6 to accept.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

What is a T-RPG

Tabletop Role Playing Game, like Dungeons and Dragons or Thirsty Sword Lesbians, though it's normally abbreviated to TTRPG.

last edited at Jul 4, 2022 12:57PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I'd read this. I'd read the hell out of it.

I don't mind engaging in a little wish-fulfillment escapism. Like, at all.

The Real Haman Karn
Haman%20icon
joined Nov 29, 2021

i never considered, and maybe i should more often, how tamamusi and other doujin writers might be forced to change parts of their stories because of pressure from higher ups, which makes me wonder what the likelihood that she might be forced to pick a "winner" in the end anyway.

I dont really care for harem stories as is, and though I appreciate a poly story it's not like that really works for every story with romantic conflict anyway. Sometimes even a resolution isnt even wanted. But with this setup in particular, wouldnt it be weird if Anybody wound up as the Final Girl? Like what would that say if Karin wound up winning in the end, that Taste is the Best Sense? Or even just the sexiest? Most people tend to have, yknow,, Most of their senses if not All of them. Er go, five girlfriends.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I don’t understand the mentality of someone who reads a harem series and doesn’t want it to end with a polycule.
Do they just enjoy watching half the characters get their hearts broken or something? I’m genuinely curious what they get out of it.
(Obviously not everything has to be polyam, but it’s really underrepresented in media, so I’d like to see more of it and harem series are pretty much halfway there already so,)

When you watch a sport tournament then you know that everyone but the winner is gonna be sad about it

But that's not why you watch it

This kinda highlights a key difference between a polyam mindset and a mono one. The idea that love is competitive, exclusive and finite. In our case everyone can be a winner, there are no losers and instead of divisive, love is multiplicative and only grows when shared among more people.

That's the ideal of course and relationships are never that easy/clear cut but on a fundamental level that's how it feels

I certainly don't see love as finite but I'm not (pardon my language) hippe enough to think that you can have that kind of relationship with everyone you have an interest in, bland more importantly the other girls all have to like each other as well, if they don't then it's a Haram and those aren't about love

And of course there is the part were these kinds of stories are set up to be about the excitement of rooting for your team for the sake of having an exciting read

last edited at Jul 4, 2022 5:56PM

Madame_Firenze
76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

hearing the protag was inspired by Crossick has me LIVING

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

I'd read this. I'd read the hell out of it.

I don't mind engaging in a little wish-fulfillment escapism. Like, at all.

There are way too many hot CEO hetero stories, and not even close enough yuri ones, but "Straight Girl Trap" is rather enjoyable, if you haven't read it yet for some reason.

theonlinehero
Thumb-128070
joined May 3, 2022

Can't wait for vol 2

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Aw, so she doesn't have girl-attracting superpowers?
I love the idea that she just goes around accidentally flirting with everyone though - good job.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

When you watch a sport tournament then you know that everyone but the winner is gonna be sad about it

But that's not why you watch it

This kinda highlights a key difference between a polyam mindset and a mono one. The idea that love is competitive, exclusive and finite. In our case everyone can be a winner, there are no losers and instead of divisive, love is multiplicative and only grows when shared among more people.

That's the ideal of course and relationships are never that easy/clear cut but on a fundamental level that's how it feels

What a weird sort of accidental insult.
There's no "right" way to do love. It's not so much about it being a competition (the sports analogy is only an analogy, after all, it's not a one-to-one comparison between a romance and a sports comp) as it is about not having to share.
Weirdly enough, time is finite. And time is one of the most important elements to having a relationship. If you're cool with less time with a loved one, fair enough, but it doesn't have to be a "mindset" for it not to work for most people.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

There's also Reverse Harems (girl has guys that revolve around her, not sure if there's a better name),

Urgh, the name "reverse harem" makes me shudder and feel gross. Because a woman is not the "reverse" of a man, and anyway, the literal name implies it's the reverse of a harem which is ... monogamy? No relationships?

Not your fault there's no better name, I just resent whoever came up with it in the first place.
I try to call them female-led harem. To avoid the icky feeling.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

There's also Reverse Harems (girl has guys that revolve around her, not sure if there's a better name),

Urgh, the name "reverse harem" makes me shudder and feel gross. Because a woman is not the "reverse" of a man, and anyway, the literal name implies it's the reverse of a harem which is ... monogamy? No relationships?

Not your fault there's no better name, I just resent whoever came up with it in the first place.
I try to call them female-led harem. To avoid the icky feeling.

I just call them Harems

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yeah you know what? fuck it! LMAO I'm not even going to question how they got there, let's just enjoy it hahahahaha

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Oof. I was doubtful that the highschool crush would return, but now I’m convinced she’s definitely coming back later.
Actually, I bet that’s gonna be the endgame. Mei either abandons these weirdos to be with her crush, or she’ll turn down the crush to date all 5 of her weirdos.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

But did she love her though?

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Really short chapter. 5 pages?

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

no, this is heaven

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Oooh in bed with Riri and Karin. Really curious how they got there from Riri walking in on them. Hopefully we’ll get to see more of that.

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 4:04AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

That's it? Where is the rest of it!

joined Aug 21, 2017

no, this is heaven

Head in the "clouds", huh?

Screenshot%202021-01-25%20004222
joined Jan 17, 2021

If it was me, I'll just keep saying yes.

Yurifan Extraordinaire
joined Sep 26, 2021

Oof. I was doubtful that the highschool crush would return, but now I’m convinced she’s definitely coming back later.
Actually, I bet that’s gonna be the endgame. Mei either abandons these weirdos to be with her crush, or she’ll turn down the crush to date all 5 of her weirdos.

Or she'll end up dating those 5 and her crush. Can't discount that possibility

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Reminiscing about your ex while drowning in a double marshmallow heaven? Being Mei is suffering...

The crush actually represents a secret sixth sense.

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 3:54AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Reminiscing about your ex while drowning in a double marshmallow heaven? Being Mei is suffering...

The crush actually represents a secret sixth sense.

Time?

To reply you must either login or sign up.