Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

i swear if this jerkface do something

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Ok, I have some kind of hopes this won't develop like always develops with male characters in yuri mangas, who know, perhaps he could find out bout her identity but instead help her get the girl?

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Ok, I have some kind of hopes this won't develop like always develops with male characters in yuri mangas, who know, perhaps he could find out bout her identity but instead help her get the girl?

he’s introduced as a douchebag (thinking he can take advantage of girls) so sadly i think he’ll be exactly what we are thinking: tool to move the plot

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

Plot Device has been invited to your party.
Plot Device has joined the party!

joined May 10, 2015

Looking good.

Even Jerkface is smitten with Mitsu-kun.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

A wild Jerkface appears!
Jerkface uses Charm!
It's not very effective...

Jerkface uses Save Face!
Aya uses Counterspell!
Jerkface takes 69 Ego Damage!

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 3:46AM

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

Metric better show up at some point in this playlist. Canadian indie deserves love too.

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 4:32AM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Metric better show up at some point in this playlist. Canadian indie deserves love too.

Given these kids' preferences, the closest we can get is Crash Test Dummies.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Jerkface.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

My theory: Jerkface will decide that Aya is meeting Mitsuki's older brother and try to get in good with Mitsuki, Prompting Aya to get territorial

Alternatively, he could fall in love with Boy!Mitsuki and have massive panicky gay denial for a few chapters leading to an awkward love triangle xD

410771ab-afb6-42d4-bb4f-12025b7966ba
joined Jan 14, 2018

Hmm does it really translate it to jerkface I wonder, cause in the original I think she said he was lame.

Of course it aint gonna work son, thats two lesbians you're trying to win over with your so called pretty face.

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

Jerkface.

what a Jerkface

VariousThrenodies
joined Jun 26, 2022

You guys think this guy is going to be a new supporting character? Might help give them a bit more to do at school.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

My theory: Jerkface will decide that Aya is meeting Mitsuki's older brother and try to get in good with Mitsuki, Prompting Aya to get territorial

Alternatively, he could fall in love with Boy!Mitsuki and have massive panicky gay denial for a few chapters leading to an awkward love triangle xD

Loved your theory. Aya getting jealous and questioning “why exactly am I jealous? it’s not about the dude… (…) wait… is it… HER???!”

I wanna see the gyaru gay panic already

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 10:53AM

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

Nothing against Canadian indie bands, but I bet the only Canadian bands that'll ever get mentioned are Rush and/or The Kings considering how there's a classic bias to the bands mentioned thus far.

I'm hoping that jerkface was a one time appearance. Life's too short to deal with tools like that more than you have to.

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

I'm hoping jerkface will be our next shipper on deck. (School representative since the Uncle is already planning their wedding or something).

On a side note:
I usually listen to rock or indie but when I read this, I listen to Benee's Same Effect because it's so fluffy and matches the atmosphere.

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

The slow progression of the existential Jerkface crisis... classic.

We have the trope of the kinda cool and well meaning but utterly embarrassing Uncle / Father-figure and now the chauvinist or manipulator of women type. Male representation isn't so bad.

That said, why do people think this guy has a chance to begin with? The continued promotion of the "jerk" being a legit romantic option is really sad.

last edited at Jul 11, 2022 3:00PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

That said, why do people think this guy has a chance to begin with? The continued promotion of the "jerk" being a legit romantic option is really sad.

Does anyone think he has a chance? Most of the discussion seems to suggest the opposite.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Best case scenario: Jerkface forgets about Aya and starts listening to the same music in an effort to get closer to the hot guy at the record store (because him going "oh shit I'm gay???" would be the best). He develops a genuine interest in the music and becomes music buddies with Aya and the mystery man. Eventually hot record store guy is revealed to be Mitsuki, Aya's like "oh shit, they were a girl?! Well, that's fine by me" and Jerkface is like "oh, guess I never had a chance to begin with". They all continue being music buddies and nobody is alone with their taste in music.

joined Apr 10, 2021

Also, we do have this image of the very strict japanese high school but we have to keep in mind that these strict high schools depicted in manga and anime are the private ones.

Most of the schools depicted in anime and manga are state schools.

This school setting of this specific manga is probably a co-ed public school — and not saying that’s always the case, but in many many places public schools are just lax with their rules. I doubt that Japan is any different. I have seen some manga depicting such thing (schools that seemed lawless).

Japan is different. School rules in the Japanese education system (especially in state schools, which is most of Japanese schools) are notoriously strict. Dress code, hair code, behaviour, loitering after school hours, sometimes even the type and colour of students' underwear is regulated. Japanese students can get in trouble with teachers if their hair gets a lighter shade over the summer due to sun exposure.

And students who stand out (dyed hair, piercings, tattoos, clothes that are against regulations, being openly gay and so on) are not only liable to get in trouble with the teachers, but are also in many schools practically guaranteed to be relentlessly bullied by other students. Bullying in the Japanese education system is widespread and specifically targets students who dare to stand out from the crowd.

Japan has high rates of depression and suicide amongst its students (high school, college and even primary schools). In fact, during the last half a decade suicide rates amongst Japanese students have continuously gone up. This is partly because students are routinely expected to have high grades (by both their teachers and their families), partly because of bullying, and partly because of oppressively strict school rules and regulations.

I mean, this is something people just should be aware of at least if they find themselves idolizing Japan in some way.

I think this is also a very big reason WHY a some schools in manga are like this one, why anime people have wacky hairstyles/colors, delinquents are a big thing, so many stories have a fantasy/supernatural element and so on and so forth.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

I mean wasn't that like the point of most of Persona 5? I wonder if people missed that part where his life gets literally ruined for protecting someone.

Anyhow, we might get Alanis over Metric but both work

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Welp, it was a matter of time.

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(S)He Like to Feel It

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

Loved your theory. Aya getting jealous and questioning “why exactly am I jealous? it’s not about the dude… (…) wait… is it… HER???!”

I wanna see the gyaru gay panic already

hmmmm. a double gay panic attack?...interesting...

To reply you must either login or sign up.