Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I dunno, old Green Day was pretty big in the alt scene when i grew up.

so far there wasn’t anything remotely punk to make me believe the chances are high, but exactly because it was big in the alt scene i decided to add it there. Least likely, but not zero chance.

A bit of a stretch to call Green Day punk haha. They were ultimately a rock band heavily influenced by punk, just like Nirvana pre Teen Spirit. Bleach leaned heavily into punk.

well, I call them pop punk hehe
Anyways, I think that among the most famous bands in the alt sphere, Green Day is the least likely
Although someone on twitter said that the heart being grabbed could be a reference to their American Idiot album cover
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_guy_she_was_interested_in_wasnt_a_guy_at_all_ch10#3

I will only consider a reference when the name of the band is directly mentioned, tho

last edited at Jun 29, 2022 8:42AM

The return of Fuzzy puff
Screen%20shot%202021-08-07%20at%2010.26.05%20pm
joined Oct 7, 2020

I agree with most of what’s in last few posts… really to me so far the mentions are all stuff that is in the 25-30 years ago era.. it’s radio rock.. my mind would almost but not be blown if stuff like Boris, melt banana, the boredoms or even guitar wolf showed up.. but.. I doubt it..,

smellsliketeenspirit
Screen%20shot%202022-07-04%20at%206.37.52%20pm
joined May 29, 2022

Garbage and L7, yes!

Melt Banana... Wow, that takes me back. I don't see much noise or math rock being portrayed. But you never know.

last edited at Jun 29, 2022 12:20PM

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

I suppose Hüsker Dü is going too far back? ;p

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Of all those mentioned I agree with

Queens of the Stone Age
Oasis
Pearl Jam
Aerosmith

The rest I either don't know or don't remember.

Green day could very well happen but I'm not a fan so is like Meh if it does xD

Creed could also show up.

last edited at Jun 29, 2022 3:01PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

As much as i like Boris it feels a bit out of place with what's been shown so far, though i can imagine the uncle liking them. Everything shown so far in the manga has pretty much been radio friendly rock.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I suppose Hüsker Dü is going too far back? ;p

Are you going to bring up The Stooges next :p

Though there was a Pink Floyd record so..

last edited at Jun 29, 2022 5:07PM

Large
joined May 27, 2017

ahhhhh the art is so good, literally any page is a masterpiece.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I agree with most of what’s in last few posts… really to me so far the mentions are all stuff that is in the 25-30 years ago era.. it’s radio rock.. my mind would almost but not be blown if stuff like Boris, melt banana, the boredoms or even guitar wolf showed up.. but.. I doubt it..,

You're making me feel old. Was I 5 when some of these songs came out?
Song 2 was exactly 25 years, so yes, I am old.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

I'm not sure why y'all are arguing about the artists intent in the interview. I went back through the whole manga, and it is really hard to read this story as anything other than a romance. You have to ignore a whole lot of awkward looks and blushing to see this as a close friendship.

Exactly the same reason why people dismissed the scanlator of Nettaigyo when he posted about Hagino saying she does not consider it yuri. "Lololol what are you on about, do you see the amount of blushing and handholding and etc., of course it is romance, it can not be anything else lolololol." Cue Nettaigyo ending. Cue people in the comments complaining how they were baited. I think it is reasonable to temper expectations here. Given that statement from Agu I personally doubt we will see anything more than subtext at best. I would not mind being proven wrong, though.

Oh dang I didn't know that got removed, it was fun. Any idea if the creator is going to work with a publisher or something to have it released in a way where we can support them? I intend to respect the author's wishes, it can just be a little frustrating in my opinion when an author wants support but refuses to find a way to release their work in other languages, especially when the demand is there. Which is something I've seen.

Regrettably, the series in question seems to fall into the category you described at the end here. The author was angry about the scanlation and demanded it be pulled down ("I want you to stop reading for free" was the phrasing they used, though they later deleted that tweet), but we have no indications that an English release of any kind is in the making.

Nettaigyo was pushing the boundaries of subtext, to an obnoxious degree. This, on the other hand, is built around the premise that Aya has fallen in love with Mitsuki, as the boy that she thinks Mitsuki is. Aya is described as not having much interest in boys, which would indicate to me (and probably to most others) that Aya is gay. If this really isn't the case, then it may well be the worst example of subtext I've ever seen, and Agu is out of their mind writing a story with this premise, and thinking that people aren't going to expect it to end with a romance.

Youre missing a little detail here... The same description that says Aya is uninterested with boys also says she is totally into "Older guy" type which might mean she isnt interested in usually immature boys.... Its not really crazy since it usually happens IRL too

last edited at Jun 30, 2022 10:31AM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

Nettaigyo was pushing the boundaries of subtext, to an obnoxious degree. This, on the other hand, is built around the premise that Aya has fallen in love with Mitsuki, as the boy that she thinks Mitsuki is. Aya is described as not having much interest in boys, which would indicate to me (and probably to most others) that Aya is gay. If this really isn't the case, then it may well be the worst example of subtext I've ever seen, and Agu is out of their mind writing a story with this premise, and thinking that people aren't going to expect it to end with a romance.

Youre missing a little detail here... The same description that says Aya is uninterested with boys also says she is totally into "Older guy" type which might mean she isnt interested in usually immature boys.... Its not really crazy since it usually happens IRL too

yeah, mature and responsible "guys" with a female voice, nails, and that nude curve between the waist line and the hips... hehe. I'm not saying that chapters 9.5 and 10 are necessarily a smoking gun for Aya's actual sexuality, but they are certainly hints I wouldn't ignore.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Oh hey, Gorillaz. That's a band whose music I'm actually familiar with! Well, their first two albums at least.

I've finally graduated from "normie" to "normie that knows a thing"!

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Oh hey, Gorillaz. That's a band whose music I'm actually familiar with! Well, their first two albums at least.

I've finally graduated from "normie" to "normie that knows a thing"!

w-wait, aren’t AC/DC and Rolling Stones a normie thing also?? Have I been lying to myself? :o

btw congratulations, next step is listening to ‘smells like teen spirit’

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

chucking a mid school sicky to listen to a playlist is so cute. Had me laughing

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

i'm loving this rock band guess discussion
these are my type of music also

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

i'm loving this rock band guess discussion
these are my type of music also

we should place our bets every week trying to guess which band will be next shown in the manga

Chapter 12 just came out and I actually guessed right: Pearl Jam shows up.

I will keep updating this master post of mentioned bands for reference.

last edited at Jul 3, 2022 1:11AM

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

its that time of the week again when i just look at the main page of dynasty and keep pressing the refresh button

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

That is some boomer taste in music she has.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Uhh ... not sure if that was just a joke, or you don't know what a boomer is.
This is all very definitively not boomer music...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Uhh ... not sure if that was just a joke, or you don't know what a boomer is.
This is all very definitively not boomer music...

A couple of points:

• These are characters who identity themselves by the fact that they don’t listen to the popular music of their generation/what’s on the radio right now. That doesn’t mean that their personal “mix” is going to be focused on any particular past era or even one genre or sub-genre.

• Unlike in the now-receding past, almost all the music of the past is relatively easily accessible in some form or another. Where young people who fancied themselves as music connoisseurs used to have to scour record stores for rare EPs or out-of-print vinyl, now there are multiple sources for finding older music. That music may still be obscure or out of fashion, but it’s (mostly) out there.

So a person’s age isn’t nearly as relevant to their musical tastes as it used to be, at least not necessarily. All someone needs to do is to find an older mentor, streaming playlists, music blogs, collectors’ sites, etc. in order to discover things they like.

last edited at Jul 3, 2022 11:45AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Aaahhh we should've prepared an Artist/song Bingo !!! it's coming !!
I can't believe we missed Beck! it was such an easy guess too! but oh well... Also, can you imagine getting married with "I'm a loser babyyyyy" playing in the background? LOL

last edited at Jul 3, 2022 3:26PM

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

People on here being like “this word the author used can mean “love” but it could also mean “affection” and be completely platonic and mean they’re just friends, merely gal pals, roommates and then the author is like “they’re gonna play Pearl Jam at their wedding :3”

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

idk why but >:3 face uncle really tickles my funny bone

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

People on here being like “this word the author used can mean “love” but it could also mean “affection” and be completely platonic and mean they’re just friends, merely gal pals, roommates and then the author is like “they’re gonna play Pearl Jam at their wedding :3”

the author’s yuri urges are expressed through uncle-san. they are trying to fight it.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Welp, getting the uncle's approval is already out of the way. It's nice to take care of these things early ^_^

last edited at Jul 3, 2022 3:17PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.