Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

PineconeJuice
Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

People justify a yuri ending and all that, but what if we'll just get an "everyday" ending. Matsuri will visit her for the last time, with the usual shenanigans, a big smile, and a "the end". It won't deny nor prove anything.

Then again I might be a bit unfair. From what I experienced reading some comments, if there's no sex scene, the yuri is not.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

People justify a yuri ending and all that, but what if we'll just get an "everyday" ending. Matsuri will visit her for the last time, with the usual shenanigans, a big smile, and a "the end". It won't deny nor prove anything.

Then again I might be a bit unfair. From what I experienced reading some comments, if there's no sex scene, the yuri is not.

Who cares? (Well, I know some people do, but I surely don't.)

Look, this series started off like a 4-koma with a slightly wacky premise, with Matsuri as the genki-girl boke and Miss Sunflower as the stoical tsukkomi. Matsuri's initial "I love you!"s seemed to come out of nowhere as a bizarre personal quirk, and the gap between their ages and their personality types suggested that there was no plausible room for any kind of real romantic development.

But it has slowly and gradually turned into something rather different, something more serious and with higher emotional stakes. We learned that their ages aren't all that far apart, that Matsuri is considerably more thoughtful, diligent, and mature than she once seemed, and most importantly of all, the focus of the series has turned to the emotional development of Miss Sunflower as she allows herself to open up her previously closed-off feelings, almost entirely because of Matsuri.

To me this series has done a great job of slowly developing its cast of characters and of mixing gentle comedy with scenes of meaningful emotional growth. Basically, it's consistently been extremely thoughtful and well-written, and as long as it keeps being that I expect I'll be fine with wherever the author decides to take it.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I used to think it would end like that, but with how the recent chapters have been developing I would be surprised if it would go that way now.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Tbh I don't need a sex scene as long as I know they end up together Matsuri gets to teach across the street and come home to Miss Sunflower at the bookery everyday I'm 100% okay with that. I don't see this wholesome series just randomly dropping in a sex scene either lol.

Also this chapter was again adorable because of Matsuri I loved Miss Sunflowers shocked look when she put her hands on her face like that too damn cute!

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

These chapters always put a smile on my face

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I'm glad I put off going to sleep at a reasonable time. I got to read a new Himawari-san chapter before bed!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm glad I put off going to sleep at a reasonable time. I got to read a new Himawari-san chapter before bed!

Me too. Because what Mannic said^:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch85#16

joined Jan 13, 2021

This is definitely one of the most autistic pictures ever and I felt it on a spiritual level. Keep being iconic, Miss Sunflower.

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Same, mate. Same.
Ms Sunflower realizing her own behavior towards Matsuri, as well as how much she misses her is so cute.
There's also her cutting loose and acting more childlike while Matsuri acts more mature and worries about her health in the cold.
That face grab too.
And I sure hope "Oh, to be young (she's still 24)" becomes a bit of a running gag.

joined Feb 1, 2021

And I sure hope "Oh, to be young (she's still 24)" becomes a bit of a running gag.

Miss Sunflower is the world's youngest old lady

joined Mar 23, 2022

damn I need more of this lovey dovey winter edition

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Lovely.

But Arita-san sure is lucky she's rather understanding herself and that Himawari-san knows her well enough and how to handle her. All I could think when she started asking about that book was that Customer Service Wolf would have eaten her right there. :P

joined May 1, 2015

Hopefully next winter, Matsuri will be warming up Miss Sunflower's bed.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Lovely.

But Arita-san sure is lucky she's rather understanding herself and that Himawari-san knows her well enough and how to handle her. All I could think when she started asking about that book was that Customer Service Wolf would have eaten her right there. :P

i know librarians who could have come up with the book title with that much information. Book people can be ferociously good at their jobs.

EDIT: And I love how Miss Sunflower seems to be triangulating how she feels about Matsuri via how Matsuri and Fuuko feel about each other—her “you two really get along” remarks are coming ever thicker and faster.

last edited at Jun 30, 2022 8:38AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

i know librarians who could have come up with the book title with that much information. Book people can be ferociously good at their jobs.

I guess one could indeed try to guess a bestseller recently mentioned in a magazine. Himawari-san doesn't really seem to read those that much, though. Not even sure she knows which books sell well, either, since this bookstore is much more interested in finding books that suit the customer than in the actual popularity of the books...

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

That hands-on-cheeks moment was adorable.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

^Sure was. Too bad they didn't share a warm, gentle hug.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I actually prefer having a chapter in the morning - starting a day with a smile is better than ending it with one imo.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

That was so cute T-T.

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

What a great surprise this chapter was

JustSomeboody
Img_20220515_201634
joined Jun 30, 2022

Does anyone know the layout of the sunflower bookery?? Was it shown in the manga?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Does anyone know the layout of the sunflower bookery?? Was it shown in the manga?

Good question. To my memory, no, the complete layout has never been shown, certainly not in anything like an explanatory schematic, as to how many rows of shelves there are and how they’re arranged, etc.

It may be the case (and would take someone with a much more developed sense of physical space than I have to determine it) that the depiction of the bookstore is consistent throughout the series so that the layout can be reconstructed, but I would note that originally the whole store was described as being inside the school grounds before being changed to in front of the school. The fact that there is a residential entrance in back of the main building is certainly a late revelation.

My impression is that we’re just supposed to get the sense of an old-fashioned Japanese building that has had a lot of additions involving many nooks and crannies.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

does any one know how many more chapters to come ?

I believe someone said it's 13 total volumes? And even though this isn't broken up and they're all under volume 9 this section is now into volume 10. So if it's 13 total then 3 volumes wroth of chapters left so roughly 30ish chapters total would be left I think. I think it might be a few less would depend most volumes look to be 8 or 9 chapters.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I tried looking through the raws and the official series twitter and couldn't find anything resembling a floor plan sadly. Did find this neat little thing sensei made for the release of Volume 7 though~

https://twitter.com/himawari_shobo/status/778971391399829504/photo/1

joined Jan 14, 2020

Kuroi (brother) and Yuu (other author): like old Miss Sunflower

Matsuri: likes Miss Sunflower (with an extra 'daaa' after the 'suki')

Matsuri's sister: thinks Miss Sunflower is cool (kakkoi) (reverse: Matsuri's little sister)

Nana-chan (top friend): 'fan' of Kuroi

Ri-chan (second top friend): likes 'oshare'

Miss Sunflower to friends: Matsuri's friends

I can't read the more complex ones, including Miss Sunflower to Matsuri.

To reply you must either login or sign up.