Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

You know, in the real world, once she finds out it's a female classmate, Aya would eventually just befriend her and drop the idea of a romantic encounter right?

There's no indication that either Aya or Mitsuki are romantically intereted in women. They just seem to have similar taste in music.

But it's a manga, so, sure, anyone can suddenly have an epiphany and be "if it's you, it's OK".

gay people are a myth, like wizards and unicorns

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

You know, in the real world, once she finds out it's a female classmate, Aya would eventually just befriend her and drop the idea of a romantic encounter right?

There's no indication that either Aya or Mitsuki are romantically intereted in women. They just seem to have similar taste in music.

But it's a manga, so, sure, anyone can suddenly have an epiphany and be "if it's you, it's OK".

and bisexuals were created by the government

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

IAKi100atT posted:

Come on, it's not what I mean.

I won't delve too much into that, because it's without end, but you can't put people in little boxes and label them.

If you want to read the subconscious of manga characters, sure, go ahead, but it's a bit fruitless.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

IAKi100atT posted:

Come on, it's not what I mean.

I won't delve too much into that, because it's without end, but you can't put people in little boxes and label them.

If you want to read the subconscious of manga characters, sure, go ahead, but it's a bit fruitless.

I mean assuming they're both straight instead of considering the possibility they aren't is, putting them in little boxes lol.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

revkar posted:

I mean assuming they're both straight instead of considering the possibility they aren't is, putting them in little boxes lol.

Hello? I said "in real life". In real life, lots of people are heterosexual you know. Not especially attracted to the same sex, but rather by the opposite sex. They are more numerous than you think.

For these characters, I don't assume anything, since the story isn't over. I just mentioned that there's no indication that any of them is/was into girls.

Even the reverse for Aya: she's into guys until she magically gets into girls because plot.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

revkar posted:

Hello? I said "in real life". In real life, lots of people are heterosexual you know. Not especially attracted to the same sex, but rather by the opposite sex. They are more numerous than you think.

For these characters, I don't assume anything, since the story isn't over. I just mentioned that there's no indication that any of them is/was into girls.

Even the reverse for Aya: she's into guys until she magically gets into girls because plot.

This is a story in the Yuri tag. This is a story in the Romance tag and the Yuri tag. It is a story about sapphics. This talk is unnecessary for this comment section…
If you don’t understand how gay people work then that’s on you, but this story is not magically relying on plot, it’s just a depiction of gay people realising they are gay.
Straight people exist but so do gays and bis. And sadly, in our society, everyone assumes they are heterosexual at first because, y’know, HOMOPHOBIA. You are not born knowing what you like and we all know damn well society don’t encourage people to question if they are queer when they are young. Sometime has to happen for you to find it out yourself. So what if in this story two girls find out they are gay because of a misunderstanding?? It can happen. Ever heard of butches? Yeah. Some girl out there, maybe your neighbour, might look at a butch woman and go “he’s hot” and will find out it’s a woman and that’ll lead her to finding out she likes women too (or exclusively women). This is not a story that would never happen irl. It happens everywhere and every time. When you are not encouraged to question yourself on the “straight is the norm” society, minor things like a misunderstanding might be the push life gives you to find out you are not straight.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

revkar posted:

Even with real life context, I guess I was straight until the universe's plot decided to magically make me bi. Didn't think I liked guys until I found guys I liked. Plenty straight people in real life, plenty queer people too. If someone has never seen me interested in a guy but only into girls, it wouldn't be a "wtf you turned bi" ( I fucking hope so at least. ), just cause the story hasn't shown Aya be into girls doesn't make it a "because plot" asspull. We haven't seen Mitsuki into girls yeah, haven't seen her into guys either, why find it the reasonable exceptation that she would be straight and her being not straight is just suddenly a thing cause plot. For all we know Mitsuki is gay or bi, or whatever else and her uncle might know already and she's been out for years, or Aya can be her gay awakening, we don't know. But it's incredibly frustrating to see this assumption of heterosexuality as the base exceptation until it's shown it's not, and then "oh well it's just the plot that turned her gay just because!"

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

The reason you're getting pushback on what you said is because the entire reason people "in real life" might react that way by automatically writing romance out of the picture in their mind once they find out they're the same sex is precisely because of heteronormative bullshit.

"Why can't you two just be good friends?" "Are you sure you two aren't just really good friends?"

That's the exact kind of bullshit I and my partner had to put up with repeatedly growing up because yeah, that's the "correct" way to react when you get extremely close to someone of the same sex.

Sexuality is unironically not so cut-and-dry.

My parents still console themselves that I might magically turn heterosexual someday because my preference and primary interest outside of my partner is in the opposite sex.

last edited at May 30, 2022 4:18PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

stocxt posted:

calling it now, the tattoo on her wrist is what will give her away. or it'll cause a misunderstanding where Aya thinks she's dating her male self and they have matching tattoos

She's already getting the sense that they have the same air/look alike so perhaps she would think they're siblings instead.... but it would be pretty bad imo if she's like "Can I see your brother?!" and it turns into a really big and complicated lie with no end in sight

I always disliked the "oh they must be siblings" gimmick... it's completely unrealistic. If you see someone who looks just like a person you know in drag/disguise, "it must be that person in drag/disguise" is the first thing anyone would think.

Even in Don Gil de las Calzas Verdes, which is from 1615, when Doña Juana has no choice but to appear in society as a woman, Doña Inés and Doña Clara immediately start suspecting that Don Gil (the bewitching man they've both fallen in love with) was actually always Doña Juana in a man's guise... and they're 100% right, lol. It was already considered an obvious reaction centuries ago!

It was kind of funny seeing her freak out about a tiny spot of nail polish, because there are far bigger clues. Like that conspicuous mole under her eye, the length and shape of her bangs, or the fact her ear has holes in exactly the same places that the "guy" from the music store has piercings in. Aya even immediately flashes in her mind to the "guy's" face the first time she actually has a good look at Mitsuki in school (note how prominently the mole and the pierced ear are displayed there).

I will actually be mildly frustrated if Aya does not connect the dots on her own, there is plenty to go on here. There is also stuff like the shape and colour of the eyes, shape of eyebrows and such. Like, if this was someone she saw masked but only in passing and then does not recognise the same person without the mask, I could buy her not realising. But with how much she stared at the masked version and given that the unmasked version is literally sitting next to her, I am beginning to think it more and more unrealistic that she is not going "wait a moment, this is the same person". Especially since she does get flashes of the "guy's" face when she looks at Mitsuki.

joined Mar 21, 2017

^ I think the author is literally showing Aya slowly figuring things out with the side by side comparisons. I don't think it's going to go down the "brother" route.

last edited at May 30, 2022 6:22PM

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

For what it's worth, my money is on Mitsuki already knowing she's gay (or bi) and she's acting the way she is because she's into Aya, but thinks Aya's straight.

I will actually be mildly frustrated if Aya does not connect the dots on her own, there is plenty to go on here. There is also stuff like the shape and colour of the eyes, shape of eyebrows and such. Like, if this was someone she saw masked but only in passing and then does not recognise the same person without the mask, I could buy her not realising. But with how much she stared at the masked version and given that the unmasked version is literally sitting next to her, I am beginning to think it more and more unrealistic that she is not going "wait a moment, this is the same person". Especially since she does get flashes of the "guy's" face when she looks at Mitsuki.

To be fair, Mitsuki seems to keep a low profile at school, so Aya may not have had much reason to pay attention to her until very recently. She also seems to spend her breaks talking with her friends and, presumably, she's looking towards the front during class, so it would be pretty believable if she never took a close look at Mitsuki's face before.

Of course, their two most recent encounters change that rather drastically, so I'd also be pretty disappointed if she doesn't start putting two and two together soon.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Loved your comment @Omega Deuse, totally agree with the second part.

All that aside I get really happy when I see the story gets on the top reads section every new chapter. A part of me hopes the author gets to see how many international fans this story is getting.

allmarbleslost
So,%20lesbians%20square
joined May 5, 2022

i came here to sing the praises of our lord and savior arai sumiko not watch you buffoons argue about the plausibility of a yuri meet-cute ffs

joined Sep 1, 2021

i came here to sing the praises of our lord and savior arai sumiko not watch you buffoons argue about the plausibility of a yuri meet-cute ffs

Why post this? I'm genuinely interested, I don't know the motivation. I'm autistic, and it's the internet, so I dunno. It's not like anyone is stopping you. Seems to me that some people like to sing praises and some people like to argue. I think they're both legitimate ways of expressing love. They're just different ways of engaging. Is any harm being done to you? I'm sorry if it is.

joined Sep 6, 2015

All that aside I get really happy when I see the story gets on the top reads section every new chapter. A part of me hopes the author gets to see how many international fans this story is getting.

You better hope otherwise. Most authors are not fond of scanlation and this author mentioned stuff like that in the past. I know that sometimes people here get carried away and forget that this site is meant to be a home for illegal pirated material, but be smart, please. There was a villainess story pulled from this site just the other week because the author discovered the translation.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

You better hope otherwise. Most authors are not fond of scanlation and this author mentioned stuff like that in the past. I know that sometimes people here get carried away and forget that this site is meant to be a home for illegal pirated material, but be smart, please. There was a villainess story pulled from this site just the other week because the author discovered the translation.

Yeah, I was not specifically saying “I hope they get to see this comment section and the site”, but I do hope there is a way for us to support them through legal means in the future or just straight up express our love on twitter, and that they feel all this love we have for their art and this story they are crafting. Sorry if I put it in a wrong way hahaha (Re-reading, it kinda seems like I did)

last edited at May 30, 2022 9:41PM

Daremo from Parts Unknown
joined May 6, 2022

Especially since she does get flashes of the "guy's" face when she looks at Mitsuki.

To be precise: she gets flashes of the "guy's" eyes. :3 Because the only thing she knows of "his" face is the eyes. That's why even in her daydreams she always pictures "guy mode" Mitsuki with a hand-covered face.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

allmarbleslost posted:

Be cool. We agree this thread is already running hotter than it ought to be. Broad insults aren't helpful. Agreed about the lord and saviour part too, though.

last edited at May 30, 2022 11:42PM

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Especially since she does get flashes of the "guy's" face when she looks at Mitsuki.

To be precise: she gets flashes of the "guy's" eyes. :3 Because the only thing she knows of "his" face is the eyes. That's why even in her daydreams she always pictures "guy mode" Mitsuki with a hand-covered face.

If the eyes are what gives it away instead of the tattoo or something, it will be so cute.
What you said makes a lot of sense. The only thing of “his” face she knows is the eyes, I even doubt that with the hoodie she can really notice all the piercings… They are cool af tho, that’s one of the best traits in Sumiko’s character design

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

*Rolls eyes*

My final take on this is that, as it is, they would make great friends and there's absolutely no need to make it a romance at all costs.

Mitsuki has no friends at all, Aya has no friends who share her taste in music, so, once the misunderstanding gets resolved, I can envision them become BFFs, not a couple. But it's not impossible they become a couple, since the mangaka is a yuri author. So there's that.

Some manga here were more explicitly romantic, but they only deserved the Subtext tag.

And we're on Dynasty, so people would ship appliances and make them fuck if it was suggested they are female, so whatever.

last edited at May 31, 2022 2:25AM

joined Apr 22, 2021

This series is giving me life

The personification of comphet in this thread less so

last edited at May 31, 2022 3:06AM

joined Jul 21, 2020

And we're on Dynasty, so people would ship appliances and make them fuck if it was suggested they are female, so whatever.

The Onibi way?
That's actually cute, lol. I always thought it was too bad Onibi was only into BL. If she was into yuri she would have made the best doujins by turning anthropomorphic and female literally any and all things in the universe.

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

This is super fantastic

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

*Rolls eyes*

My final take on this is that, as it is, they would make great friends and there's absolutely no need to make it a romance at all costs.

Mitsuki has no friends at all, Aya has no friends who share her taste in music, so, once the misunderstanding gets resolved, I can envision them become BFFs, not a couple. But it's not impossible they become a couple, since the mangaka is a yuri author. So there's that.

Some manga here were more explicitly romantic, but they only deserved the Subtext tag.

[inaccurate and nonconstructive post removed]

Personal attacks are uncalled for. I don’t agree with all of Nya-Chan’s points but that’s no reason to attack them personally. We can have a discussion without resorting to low brow attacks.

last edited at Jun 2, 2022 1:48AM by OrangePekoe

joined Sep 6, 2015

Adding lines to a quoted post that the original user never actually wrote. Using a sock (such bravery). Accusing a well established regular (who is also a woman, and gay) to be a homophobe. Nice going there, person lacking in common sense. You do know that the staff can track down your IP and connect it to your main account, right?

To reply you must either login or sign up.