Forum › I Want to Stare discussion

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Kyuuuuute

thisusernameistaken
21077813-e4f0-43e1-ab0c-6dad7cd48d59
joined Aug 16, 2021

its nice to see chubby yuri since I almost never see that, also this was very cute

last edited at May 19, 2022 4:40PM

joined Oct 3, 2016

I love that the co-workers just want Saho's love life to work out. zir was so cute.

joined Sep 6, 2018

“Because you know I’m all about that bass, ‘bout that bass’, no treble” — Meghan Trainor, “All about that bass” song.

Even chubby ladies can find love… cute one shot.

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Really refreshing to see yuri where the characters don’t all have the exact same body type. I’d love to see more of this couple

Lilification
Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

i would've felt a little bad for kenji if he didn't go for the "if she doesn't want to date me that doesn't mean a woman's fine" line, coupled with that expression. Talk about an immediate bad taste in my mouth, how rude.

Dragonseller
Jo
joined Jan 1, 2019

That's just down-right precious.

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

Its not fat, its extra love <3

6dc89f5c-43ac-44ad-a0d6-fe9ddf4f2fb2
joined Sep 2, 2021

I was a little worried when I saw the het and yuri tag, thought it was going to be NTR or something. But the ending was great!

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

The Chubby tag is truly a gift.

6f1ccea7-b3f0-4820-814d-bccd7482bcd0
joined Mar 31, 2021

that turned out well

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

this was really fun, I did also have a good laugh when I thought about how Kenji had been courting her for actually two years already and all it took for Saho was a single confession from Tamaki. I don't inherently have anything against the guy but wow having a front row seat like that nothing could make it more clear that you've been barking up the wrong tree all this time

b0undarybreaker
C12%20wink
joined Oct 29, 2020

it's so rare to find chubby yuri, especially chubby yuri that isn't about the character being chubby. Mega mega props to this!!! being a chubby girl is the best ^.^

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

love chubby tag used without stuff like food^^

But am the only one that would be very uncomfy with so much physical contact by someone rando, more so grabbing shoulders or arm around them? more so if it's a pushy customer, that keeps talking about dating you forever.
Maybe I became too sensetive for that tho.

joined Aug 29, 2019

love chubby tag used without stuff like food^^

//

it's so rare to find chubby yuri, especially chubby yuri that isn't about the character being chubby. Mega mega props to this!!!

^/^^ this. I'm neither chubby nor a girl, but I do have a chubby girl at home :D
I do think the chubb (as a health concern) isn't inappropriate as a topic in portraying a relationship (as in a longer series), but whenever pronounced chubbiness is used for a lead character, it becomes the defining character element far too much, while it really should be a subplot at best.

... is what I think at least :D

But am the only one that would be very uncomfy with so much physical contact by someone rando, more so grabbing shoulders or arm around them? more so if it's a pushy customer, that keeps talking about dating you forever.

I think that's a pretty reasonable reaction, though if you think about it, he'd been a regular for two years. He did come off pushy and not exactly endearing, but he wasn't just "some rando" to Saho like he is to us.

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

i would've felt a little bad for kenji if he didn't go for the "if she doesn't want to date me that doesn't mean a woman's fine" line, coupled with that expression. Talk about an immediate bad taste in my mouth, how rude.

I don't think he meant that insultingly, I got the impression he just meant that she wasn't going to magically become a lesbian just because she rejected a man. Yeah he still assumed she's straight, but I think he had a pretty good basis tbh seeing as he's courted her for 2 years and she's apparently never given a clear rejection before.

Could have just read that wrong though.

Although I can't blame him for being rude given the circumstances either way, gotta be kinda frustrating to have someone else show up during your confession and basically hijack it. Even if he's rejected, at least let him get rejected first lol.

I'd be uncomfortable too, but in fairness, he's been visiting for two whole years and everyone seems familiar with him so I wouldn't strictly classify him as a random stranger in terms of relationship. It doesn't help that the employees seem to approve of his affections and the woman herself has apparently never actually rejected him seriously, seems quite easy for him to get the wrong idea.

last edited at May 19, 2022 6:13PM

Lilisionnach
Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Although I can't blame him for being rude given the circumstances either way, gotta be kinda frustrating to have someone else show up during your confession and basically hijack it. Even if he's rejected, at least let him get rejected first lol.

Nah, he included her in the confession by preemptively rejecting her assumed feeling for him, so she just did the same.

I'd be uncomfortable too, but in fairness, he's been visiting for two whole years and everyone seems familiar with him so I wouldn't strictly classify him as a random stranger in terms of relationship. It doesn't help that the employees seem to approve of his affections and the woman herself has apparently never actually rejected him seriously, seems quite easy for him to get the wrong idea.

She’s friendly with everyone. Everyone knows this. Sure she didn’t overtly reject him, but she also didn’t take any of his actions seriously, noted by “if it was any other woman, I’m sure she’d get the wrong idea” on page 13. Honestly, it just feels like the whole “she smiled at me, so she must like me” or “she nice to me, so she must like me” from a worker.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

Honestly, it just feels like the whole “she smiled at me, so she must like me” or “she nice to me, so she must like me” from a worker.

this part is certainly interesting because it is quite literally what Kenji thought about Tamaki. So to a certain extent you might not be incorrect about how his affection for Saho got started.

last edited at May 19, 2022 6:57PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

The guy came off as a bit too persistent, if not outright rude, to me. The whole confession scene was definitely uncomfortable, he was invading her personal space without her ever having said to be okay with it, and his attitude towards Tamaki seemed a bit arrogant(?) to me. I mean, is it really your place to reject someone who hasn't even really expressed an interest in you? Especially doing that in front of their coworker, making it awkward for both of them.

I guess the fact that he never got a clear rejection can justify his actions to a degree, but considering this has supposedly been going on for two years, can he not take a hint? He seemed awfully quick to notice that Tamaki "liked" him, yet unable to see that Saho did not. Also, I can't imagine having someone you aren't interested in flirting with you at your workplace as anything but uncomfortable. It didn't seem like Saho minded it much most of the time, but I'd think one would have the courtesy to stop when their advances have been dismissed countless times.

joined Nov 25, 2020

that guy can get fucked, serves him right to get absolutely demolished

joined Jan 13, 2021

Sal Jiang doing great work as always. Love how Saho's handled here- her chubbiness isn't made the center of the narrative or her character, but isn't easily dismissed either- the remark about how people see her as a mascot is quite apt, since even the nominally-positive trope of the 'jolly chubby person who's friend-shaped and full of happiness' is a stereotype too. Being reduced to a cuddly, docile panda whose acceptability in society is contingent on her amiability can prove just as restrictive and hurtful as being insulted in more direct ways, and this anxiety about dismissal, this expectation of gratefulness wherein Saho feels that an acknowledgment of the additional space she physically occupies must necessarily be balanced by a reduction of the emotional, personal space she's allowed to claim subtly manifests in her dynamic with Kenji. Even though he seems to be an archetypical Nice Guy creep who's been hitting on her during working hours (extremely uncomfortable in and of itself, as most people working such a position can tell you) for two fucking years, she's still sorta hesitant to turn him down, and this unwillingness to fully express herself is particularly ironic given her dream of being a singer, but also especially cathartic when she finally commits to claiming her space, sounding out her voice, and pushing Kenji away, refusing to be the soft, docile girlfriend he thinks himself entitled to in his Kenji-centric model of the universe.

And yet, though this story acknowledges the abrasion, the chafing that results from Saho moving through a space that doesn't fully fit or accommodate her, it's also willing not to define Saho solely with reference to that discomfort, and lets her be attractive, desirable and ultimately independent. You could read the story as an allegorical exploration of the issues chubby people face even in societies that are not openly fatphobic, but still privilege a certain type of beauty, both physical and emotional, that forces women to occupy minimal space, or you could read it simply as a fluffy oneshot about a lady realizing her feelings (to say nothing to other readings, like one that interprets Saho through the lens of bisexuality, a sexuality that is also viewed as demanding too much and therefore negatively associated w/ excess and indecisiveness). Thus, it strikes a very neat balance between an Explicit Issue Story that yells, "YO, ASSHOLES, CHUBBY WOMEN ARE VALID AS FUCK!" (a perfectly reasonable approach, given how suffocating traditional beauty standards, especially Asian, can be) and vapid wish-fulfillment in that detached-from-reality pocket dimension that so many yuri stories place themselves in (again, also reasonable, because dealing with bullshit daily takes a toll and sometimes you want to escape, but the bullshit's still going to be there tomorrow and it's important to call it out). Overall, excellent effort.

joined Aug 29, 2019

The guy came off as a bit too persistent, if not outright rude, to me. The whole confession scene was definitely uncomfortable, he was invading her personal space without her ever having said to be okay with it, and his attitude towards Tamaki seemed a bit arrogant(?) to me. I mean, is it really your place to reject someone who hasn't even really expressed an interest in you? Especially doing that in front of their coworker, making it awkward for both of them.

I guess the fact that he never got a clear rejection can justify his actions to a degree, but considering this has supposedly been going on for two years, can he not take a hint? He seemed awfully quick to notice that Tamaki "liked" him, yet unable to see that Saho did not. Also, I can't imagine having someone you aren't interested in flirting with you at your workplace as anything but uncomfortable. It didn't seem like Saho minded it much most of the time, but I'd think one would have the courtesy to stop when their advances have been dismissed countless times.

The line between "endearingly persistent" and "creepy" appears more blurry to some than others. You could say he was being "old school" that way. Ultimately I think there is no "easy out" that provides closure. He probably felt the need to finally clear the air for a while now and Tamaki's arrival and his perception that she's into him gave him the push he needed.
His attitude towards Tamaki definitely seemed unduly cavalier, but I'd say he acted like that based on bad intel, not because he's an irredeemable creep. A false perception of attraction that leads to a misguided pre-emptive rejection is a trope, after all (followed by the rejecting party either being simply baffled that they aren't so hot after all, or by the rejected party getting slapsticked if they "rejected" a tsundere).

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I'm just gonna flat out say, I think Kenji was a creep. Not, like, to unforgivable levels, but I feel like it was made pretty clear from the very start that Saho wasn't taking his approaches seriously, and yet he (and, honestly, everyone else, even Tamaki) basically saw it as guaranteed that Saho would eventually say yes to him. Even her gossipy coworkers just saw it as this cute love story, rather than paying attention to what Saho actually said or felt. It was very uncomfortable to me, in how it seemed to illustrate the "dogged nice guy" trope where a man is seen as entitled to a woman simply because A) she hasn't flatly said no, and B) because he's put a lot of time into pursuing her...and frequently the former will slide. He really stunk of cishet male privilege.

Like, Saho was nice to him - because she's nice to everyone. And the only one she showed any special interested or attention toward was Tamaki. Whether Saho is bi or a lesbian, I think the subtext is that she was attracted to Tamaki from the very start, even if she didn't realize it, while she never was interested in Kenji beyond him being a "friendly" regular customer. While it's easy to say, "Well, she should have clearly shut him down," it's also implied that she's got some self-image issues that would lead her to assume any flirting is non-serious or that she shouldn't assume he meant it.

He's not evil, but that's sort of the problem. His behavior is so normalized that nobody even bats an eye at it, despite it actually being kind of creepy and troubling. I'm glad Tamaki was there, not just because she had a chance to confess as well, but because I would worry that, absent her giving Saho motivation, Saho might have been pressured into doing something she clearly didn't want just to get out of that moment. Or Kenji might not have been even as "graceful" a loser as he was. Did he really seem like the type to take "no" for answer? I'd see him as the sort who just assumes that means he has to try harder.

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

As a chubby girl this made me feel better about myself

zanpakutoman
Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

Same. I was gonna make a comment, but this sums it up for me.

To reply you must either login or sign up.