Forum › Yuri is Taboo to a Yuri Otaku discussion

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

what having a low self esteem does to a mofo

"bruh i dont want to find my own happiness im not that important to the story"
fails to realize she is the main character

Reminds me of Comic Girls. Watanabe and Yoshioka even look just like Kaosu and Koyume.

There was one time when Kaosu decided to leave forever. She convinced herself that she didn't have the right to be with all the other mangaka girls, so she made up her mind to leave the dorm and return to her hometown.

Koyume was taking a bath, so Kaosu knelt in front of the bathroom and said through the door: "This is goodbye forever. I'm leaving and will never return. Please don't forget about this wretched, pathetic mob that sometimes lurked in the background and that you all called Kaosu."

Then Koyume slammed open the bathroom door and came out naked and covered in soap foam. She looked angrily at Kaosu and yelled: "KAOSU WILL ALWAYS BE THE MAIN CHARACTER OF MY STORY!!!"

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Stop resisting, and fall for her already dang it!

Well, admittedly, she's already fallen. She even recognizes this herself when she worries that it would be mutual if Yoshioka would fall for her (not knowing she too already has). But then of course comes the denial and resisting.

carlosraruto
Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

Stop resisting, and fall for her already dang it!

Well, admittedly, she's already fallen. She even recognizes this herself when she worries that it would be mutual if Yoshioka would fall for her (not knowing she too already has). But then of course comes the denial and resisting.

Tbf, even when she takes for granted they would fall for each other she STILL resist

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

*The dark rumbles of the Friendzone runged in the Gals mind

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

what having *geeky pride does to a mofo

"bruh i dont want to find my own happiness im not that important to the story"
fails to realize she is the main character

"But I don't have pink hair or sparkly eyes or a perky butt"

joined May 1, 2015

Solve this by just talking to each other? Nah, have some suffering.
Poor Ririka, she got friendzoned even though she is not friendzoned.

PineconeJuice
Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

I can't get mad at Watanabe for this one. She wasn't consciously converting Yoshioka to the yuri side... And to fall for her. Although once she learns, she better takes responsibility. Still couldn't help but feel bad for Yoshioka at the end there.

I won't lie, but I have a hard time following the background characters. I call them NPCs because as much as I try, I can never really follow who was who, and I admit to being a bit too lazy to try and re-read previous chapters to get the context.

HextechYurifier
joined Jul 13, 2021

But what did the Gayru wanted to hear?

"That's right, and I have a big crush on her. I want her to become my wife and live a life together forever."

Is that what she wanted to hear? I don't think she would out herself like that chief

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

I can't get mad at Watanabe for this one. She wasn't consciously converting Yoshioka to the yuri side... And to fall for her. Although once she learns, she better takes responsibility. Still couldn't help but feel bad for Yoshioka at the end there.

I won't lie, but I have a hard time following the background characters. I call them NPCs because as much as I try, I can never really follow who was who, and I admit to being a bit too lazy to try and re-read previous chapters to get the context.

It feels like the author is doing this on purpose, at least partially. The side characters being cliche and pretty bland plays into the MC's world view , we're seeing it the same way she does basically.

last edited at May 11, 2022 9:17PM

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

I feel like she's scared being yuri because something happened in her past ?

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

I don't know if you spelled GYARU as GAYRU on purpose, or it was an accident.

In any case, kudos! Good job! :D

7277b022-9e31-4bec-a22e-b7ad36fb501e
joined Sep 5, 2019

Doesn’t want to be yuri.

Literally gets on top of Ririka.

Yeah totally not yuri.

On the flip side, woah “mutual feelings”, so that means she acknowledges her feelings as yuri for Yoshioka eh?

CreamyDesk19
Compressjpg20220512_150101
joined Jan 22, 2022

Watanabe's hair is so cute in this chap, and god that yuri moment is so precious

themajoritylied
joined Dec 7, 2017

Same! I was gonna be annoyed if I saw people dissing on her again in the comments for this, when she's done nothing wrong this time. Yoshioka jumped to that conclusion herself, however much Watanabe's actions implied. That said, I do of course feel bad for her, just like I would any character in this situation. But I look forward to the 'misunderstanding' plotline, as a key yuri flag and all.

And same again. They just seem very...dry. And not yuri, lol. Even when it seemed like their classmate had feelings for her onee-sama, it ended up being just more sisterly stuff. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's on purpose to defy Watanabe's expectations (it'd be just like this manga if Watanabe/Yoshioka ended up being the only actual yuri, lol), but still. They're just kinda dull, I guess.

joined Apr 11, 2022

I feel like she's scared being yuri because something happened in her past ?

I believe you are right. Good old trope losing friend because of yuri etc.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I really just cannot differentiate all these bland S-class couples that all have basically the exact same dynamic.

joined Apr 14, 2022

I really just cannot differentiate all these bland S-class couples that all have basically the exact same dynamic.

I"m glad it's not just me. I'd probably understand if I re-read it from the start, but following along with the releases I honestly have no idea who any of the characters are other than mc and gyaru, they all blend together.

Miku
joined Feb 27, 2016

Gyaru is good to go... YuriOta should stop hesitating and accept it

joined Sep 11, 2019

Yoshioka still resisting and denying

joined Jan 11, 2014

I"m glad it's not just me. I'd probably understand if I re-read it from the start, but following along with the releases I honestly have no idea who any of the characters are other than mc and gyaru, they all blend together.

When I read this with releases I thought there were like 12 different girls, a new one a chapter, and it was only on reread I figured out there were like 5 recurring girls.

joined Jul 21, 2020

You've hit one of the basic snags of Marimite and the like: all the soeurs couples have the same dynamics, problems, conflicts and reconciliations. The author keeps introducing new characters and pairings but it's repetitive, always the same thing. Not touching, not kissing, only spiritual feelings. Always hovering on the verge of gay without ever crossing the line.

Fans like Watanabe eat it up but if you're not into chaste sisterhood it gets boring quick.

I don't know if you spelled GYARU as GAYRU on purpose, or it was an accident.
In any case, kudos! Good job! :D

Lol nice let's hope when she gets together with mc it will be GAY.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

She's determined: a yurijoshi must remain a mob [NPC]. Yuri is her life

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

You've hit one of the basic snags of Marimite and the like: all the soeurs couples have the same dynamics, problems, conflicts and reconciliations. The author keeps introducing new characters and pairings but it's repetitive, always the same thing. Not touching, not kissing, only spiritual feelings. Always hovering on the verge of gay without ever crossing the line.

The fact that there's no touching or kissing, as you said, doesn't automatically make the dynamics the same though, just as having those doesn't necessarily mean that the couples would not have the same dynamics. While I can understand why it may have seemed uninteresting to you, I think that's a bit of an unfair accusation. The characters' relationships were indeed based on "spiritual feelings", but those weren't expressed in the same way between all couples, which meant that the conflicts they had to face also weren't the same (for the most part at least). So yeah, I get the frustration towards the "almost-gay-but-not-really" part, but I disagree with the notion that the platonic nature of the relationships somehow made them all the same.

I agree that the sisters shown here are pretty bland, however (though I have to say that I didn't find it that hard to differentiate them, since there are literally, like, 6 more people other than the leads—they just weren't all that interesting).

Classy-Nessi
23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020

This is yuri! This is yuri! This is yuri!

joined Jun 19, 2021

I want to like this series more but this is a giant reason why I can't. Every chapter is 99% focused on these other characters but the only one that actually feels like anything resembling a real character is Fujiyama. Everyone else is just a cardboard cutout Class-S stereotype except instead of doing anything interesting with them, even something as basic as constantly showing Watanabe's stereotyping as wrong and misguided, they're played completely straight and conform exactly to the stereotypes.

So you're left with a lot of the focus being put on characters who are incredibly one-dimensional using roles/personality traits that were already played out by the '90s when you had stuff like Utena deconstructing them and then at the end of each chapter you get two, maybe three, pages of Yoshioka/Watanabe stuff.

But the problem is that Watanabe herself is way too annoying as an MC because she herself doesn't actually feel like much of a character either. Her entire thoughts are just "YURI! I'M SHIPPING! I'M A MOB, I CAN'T BE YURI!" and it doesn't feel like parody because all of her stereotyping based on yuri/Class-S cliches are constantly proven right in the end and it feels like she's basically just getting her way.

So the only character in the series that actually feels like a properly thought out and written character (and not a stereotype) is Yoshioka who's friendly and extroverted (like the gyaru stereotype) but is also surprisingly thoughtful, perceptive and self-reflective which means the best stuff in any given chapter is the stuff focused on her and her thoughts.

If she was the MC/PoV character and the story was focused more on her coming to terms with her feelings for Watanabe and trying to win her over, with Watanabe serving as the LI instead of the MC/PoV character and the series was focused more on them and not these other characters with the Yoshioka/Watanabe stuff tacked on at the end of chapters, then I feel like it'd be far better. As it is, she's basically the only thing really keeping me reading this.

last edited at May 12, 2022 8:51PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.