Forum › Lilies, Voice, Wear Wind discussion

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

I hate it here

OneEyedOthinus
Bikko
joined Feb 17, 2022

Overall, this was pretty good. Short, but sweet. I'm happy with how this ended up.

Madame_Firenze
76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

eh

joined Apr 6, 2013

I mean I'm happy for Matoi and Yuriko

But what about my girl Rio, last we saw she looked like she swallowed nails, now we got no closure.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I’d be interested to hear from ace/aroace readers if they resonated with this story or were pleased with the ending. I can’t help but feel a little unsatisfied, but I’m pretty distinctly neither aro nor ace, so it might just be a disconnect along those lines

Yeah, I'm sorta in the same boat. I very unapologetically want "yuri" to be story of explicitly romantic and sexual relationships between women. Other stories about women's relationships, including this one, are definitely valid and deserve to be read and enjoyed by people, but it's not something I'd ever seek out on my own. So there's a strong "I can recognize how this is a good story, but it doesn't appeal to me at all" feel to this ending.

joined Apr 20, 2021

Honestly this type of ending is coming expected ,at least for me. There could've been more drama on the way but instead it focused on Matoi maturing as a person instead of showing struggle between two different people. Now the ending could've been changed to "ROOMMATES" but I don't think it is a big deal.

The evolution of characters was the best part of this manga.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Not sure about that very last panel, but could only thing of a lonely Rio walking off into the sunset by herself

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

I'd been on the fence about this manga, whether I liked it or not, and I think with that ending it's ultimately just. Meh. I can't say I enjoy it, but I can't say it's bad. Just a resounding "meh."

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

the author was obviously unwilling (for perhaps obvious reasons) to have Yuriko and Matoi clash over their differing desires for their relationship.

Yeah, I think this is an important point. Something that kept occurring to me after seeing cast page and Yuriko being explicitly labelled as "aro/ace," while Matoi was just "ace," was wondering if there was going to be an issue there. Because Matoi isn't aromantic, which leaves me feeling that this nice ending of And They Were Neighbors is pretty damn unfair to her, if the implication is supposed to be that things continue like this for a long time. (Matoi asks Yuriko if she wants to move back home, implying that they plan to stay "together" for the foreseeable future)

Like, Yuriko gets her close relationship with someone she loves (platonically), while Matoi just kinda...gets to have an unrequited crush on her forever? If Yuriko's aromantic-ness is real and to be respected - and it is - then it seems like Matoi should also be allowed to have someone who reciprocates her romantic feelings. Right?

Like, I spent the last few pages if we were going to see that Matoi actually had a girlfriend now - someone who wasn't Yuriko, possibly even Rio, who just kind of disappears from the story - with the point being that she can still love and cherish Yuriko in her own way while also getting a romantic relationship. Instead it's just kind of implied that Matoi is satisfied with what they have now, which just feels very unsatisfying for anyone except Yuriko. But I may just think that because I'm not aro/ace? I dunno.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

A little disappointed that they live next door to each other. What the heck??? Isn't rent kind of expensive in Tokyo? This story was supposed to be about the characters maturing, yet they're not mature enough to prioritize practicality over comfortable distance? SMH.

けやき坂46
Original
joined Jan 30, 2019

I am not surprised by the ending as the author had made their romantic/sexual orientations very clear so I don't have many qualms about it except how they live in separate apartments. That's just so absurd. It made me feel awful for some reason? Like they were deliberately avoiding each other. Or hell, even repulsed by each other. Not very realistic either imo. Like others said, it's also impractical because of rent reasons. But what exactly is the problem with them just being roommates or living like a family together? Idk how small the apartments are but money does not seem to be an issue for them so they could have just gotten one with many rooms?

I mean, if I was going out of my way to move in next to my best friend anyway, I'd rather we just live together. It's just so much more convenient. I'd understand Yuriko (or Matoi) hesitating if the other one was a guy though, for social reasons.

On another topic, what do you think Matoi's romantic orientation is? Homoromantic?

Also on a lighter note...

Not sure about that very last panel, but could only thing of a lonely Rio walking off into the sunset by herself

I misread that as "wanking" the first time and got terrified.

last edited at Apr 29, 2022 8:12PM

Zigv3uyqlg0hih2ixcp8saivs99g-ehejzp51vcc89w
joined Feb 8, 2018

Justice for Rio :(

joined Oct 22, 2021

Hm. I'm glad this story exists, they remind me why most stories do end up in obvious stereotypical "they got together" "happy ever after" etc.

joined Jan 22, 2015

While I do need to re-read this chapter while sober, I must say hot damn that was one hell of a finale note reimei (author-sama) left us. I greatly appreciate authors who put this much thought into their works.

981c42da2a6ca1ced16e6500fb8d64cc
joined Dec 29, 2020

The ending was quite rushed but I'm glad I read this work. While I love yuri and romance, it's nice to get some sort of aroace representation.

I wish there were more manga about aromantic people and their struggles in the world where romantic love is the norm. Since it truly is a struggle, understanding yourself and what exactly do you seek.

Jo
joined Jan 1, 2019

The problem with the ending is that Matoi is, subconsciously, unsatisfied with the non-physical/non-romantic relationship. She starts of the story thinking she may not have those kinds of feelings but it seems that they just hadn't bloomed until she met Yuriko. Six years is a long time holding back on what she wants, she may not have a strong drive for a physical(sexual)/romantic relationship but it is evident that she wants one.
There's more to their emotional states to be explored than to just randomly time skip SIX YEARS and have them living as neighbors, this needed another two or at least one more volume in order satisfy the audience with a resolved and fleshed-out ending. This was a good series but needed just a bit more development to make it better.

Golden Mertens
Fr7bgrpvcaamcjc%20(1)%20(1)-1%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Jul 9, 2021

Wait this is already the end?!, lol, last chapter I tought that we were just getting started

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

I love this one! It's good to see aromantic and asexual get into the romance. Love the ending, love the author thought process, love the effort they put into creating the story they always want to read.

last edited at Apr 29, 2022 8:52PM

joined Jun 3, 2014

I hate it here

same

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I love this one! It's good to see aromantic and asexual get into the romance.

Get into the what, now? The main thing they agree on is that it’s not a romance.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I'm glad that Yuriko and Matoi found love in their own way, and seem happy together. However I'm unsatisfied. I feel like I just ate a bland meal, only to find dessert is unflavored ice cream. I'm not mad I read this. Everybody deserves to have their story told. I just wanted something out of it, that it just wasn't ment to give.

I think I would would have enjoyed the story much more, if Matoi's little sister turned out to be a yuri girl. Then Matoi and Yuriko could get their relationship, and I could get my traditional yuri fix all at the same time. Plus with Matoi 's sister's taste in men she would be better off with the ladies, anyway.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

felt like an axe haha, oh well, wasnt the best but i still enjoyed the trip through. wish they explored it a bit more

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

That felt a bit abrupt, but I'm mostly happy to see a manga representing acespec in such a wholesome, understanding way. While it does feel weird they don't live in the same apartment together (that's just wasteful monetarily imo), I'm glad they stuck to their queer-platonic relationship.

The only thing that really leaves a sour taste in my mouth is where we left Rio. I had personally kind of hoped for an acespec QP/Poly sort of... thingy? for the three of them

joined Nov 21, 2018

I liked this story more than I thought I would at the start. It may end on a bittersweet note, with Matoi having a Super Friend instead of a Girlfriend, but they're still together and it's clear Yuriko loves Matoi in her own way. For the same reason, I disagree with the notion that the Yuri or Romance tags need to be removed. Even if it didn't end with them as a couple, this was still a love story between two girls.

joined Sep 16, 2019

Hmm speaking as someone who is aroace (though I don't claim to be the most informed), this was okay, I guess? It's not something I would rec, but I don't hate it either. The two leads honestly don't have much going on for them. A goal or something for Yuriko would've been nice since it felt like she was just along for the ride. There was some missed opportunity for a proper conflict about Matoi being in love with Yuriko and her being unable to reciprocate, since it was just resolved with Matoi deciding to defer to Yuriko's wants. It generally felt like they kept making the perfect choices for each other, which is fine, but it doesn't make a very compelling narrative. Like, screw a up a bit!

I like best girl Rio as much as the next person, but I don't think a relationship between her and Matoi could've worked out in the long term. It looks like they want different things out of a relationship, with Rio favoring physical touch while Matoi seems indifferent to it. Although they could always talk it out, I guess.

To reply you must either login or sign up.