Forum › Fluttering Feelings [SPOILER THREAD]

Fairy_tail_zero_ch03_12%20-%20c%c3%b3pia
joined Dec 7, 2014

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10926456_1540968956152077_6899226688388193026_n.jpg?oh=2c86ef2aa56d86e1da4b52b2791e0808&oe=5530B208

at first sight i confuse Hee-Jin with Seol-A, and these names are so complicated, i can't never remember, i only just decorated No-Rae and Seol-A.

Thanks a lot to the amazing people that translate the chapters, is never good enough to say thank you for this, great job, much appreciated =D

Otp
joined Jan 4, 2015

This manga's original title is 'seolleneun gibun'.
The word 'gibun' means mood in Korean, however, the meaning of the word 'seolleneun' is a bit different from fluttering.
it is similar to the feeling that make one's heart leap with hope or love, etc. so, it is a very positive meaning.
and seol-ah will be better notation for name than seol-a as noh-rae.
Also, 'seolleneun' = seol(of seol-ah)+rae(of noh-rae)+~neun(just like ~ing or ~ed)
it is playing on words.

my first language is not English, and i'm not good at English... so, my explanation may be wrong..please skip incorrect grammar

That's quite interesting! Thanks for sharing with us :)

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

So, realistically any queer person living in a queer community or simply engaging in queer culture in a major city can easily go through their social lives without having prolonged conversations or meaningful engagement with the opposite sex. I haven't had male friends (much less straight male friends) in nearly a decade, so I do not think an absence of men in yuri manga is unrealistic at all. I also prefer not to have male leads in stories I read because every story in society portrays men as competent people. Women are frequently just damsels or tinsel on the tree. I have been so saturated with the male experience in media that i could easily never experience it again and be no lesser a person for it. I certainly wouldn't be dissatisfied. There are tons of straight male stories out there, if you want to read them feel free.

Although it is wholly possible to live without having any meaningful contact with those of the opposite sex, frankly I think that's unrealistic for your average person, especially if you're a student attending a co-ed school (and let's be real, the majority of universities today are co-ed campuses). You're inevitably going to meet/interact/talk with people of the opposite sex, regardless of your own sex or sexual preferences. If you wanted to live free of interaction with the opposite sex, you would have to make a conscious effort to do so. In a world where statistically a little less than half of the population is male, I'd think that it would be pretty difficult to live without knowing any men. Unless the setting was an all-girls campus, I'd feel that the complete absence of men in the story would be quite unrealistic, especially given that Seol-a is seen as the queen bee of the school.

And it's just like you said, queer people living in queer communities and cities have the opportunity to isolate themselves from those of the opposite sex. However for most people living on our planet, this isn't the typical situation. Fluttering Feelings takes place in Korea, a place without any particularly flourishing queer communities/cities. What determines whether the absence of men in a yuri manga/manhwa is unrealistic or not is the premise of the story. For a typical Korean college campus in this day and age, it would be unrealistic to have no male characters at all.

One outlier in a total set doesn't determine the norm. So while it might be normal in your case to not interact with men at all, for a majority of women, that isn't the case.

last edited at Jan 21, 2015 10:21PM

joined Aug 1, 2013

"unfamiliar ceiling" jajajajaja Ok Shinji

joined Aug 21, 2014

So, realistically any queer person living in a queer community or simply engaging in queer culture in a major city can easily go through their social lives without having prolonged conversations or meaningful engagement with the opposite sex. I haven't had male friends (much less straight male friends) in nearly a decade, so I do not think an absence of men in yuri manga is unrealistic at all. I also prefer not to have male leads in stories I read because every story in society portrays men as competent people. Women are frequently just damsels or tinsel on the tree. I have been so saturated with the male experience in media that i could easily never experience it again and be no lesser a person for it. I certainly wouldn't be dissatisfied. There are tons of straight male stories out there, if you want to read them feel free.

Although it is wholly possible to live without having any meaningful contact with those of the opposite sex, frankly I think that's unrealistic for your average person, especially if you're a student attending a co-ed school (and let's be real, the majority of universities today are co-ed campuses). You're inevitably going to meet/interact/talk with people of the opposite sex, regardless of your own sex or sexual preferences. If you wanted to live free of interaction with the opposite sex, you would have to make a conscious effort to do so. In a world where statistically a little less than half of the population is male, I'd think that it would be pretty difficult to live without knowing any men. Unless the setting was an all-girls campus, I'd feel that the complete absence of men in the story would be quite unrealistic, especially given that Seol-a is seen as the queen bee of the school.

And it's just like you said, queer people living in queer communities and cities have the opportunity to isolate themselves from those of the opposite sex. However for most people living on our planet, this isn't the typical situation. Fluttering Feelings takes place in Korea, a place without any particularly flourishing queer communities/cities. What determines whether the absence of men in a yuri manga/manhwa is unrealistic or not is the premise of the story. For a typical Korean college campus in this day and age, it would be unrealistic to have no male characters at all.

One outlier in a total set doesn't determine the norm. So while it might be normal in your case to not interact with men at all, for a majority of women, that isn't the case.

Very well said!

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

"unfamiliar ceiling" jajajajaja Ok Shinji

everything is better with a little eva, let it be known.

Rsz_17544039_p0
joined Jul 19, 2014

Rose, not to be offensive, but you tend to bash Citrus in almost all of your posts. :/ I get you hate it, but...

OT: I'm actually surprised people assume a male character in a yuri story automatically = love interest. I see the guy as another mop head from Their Story; he's there to support the characters in their relationship. If he sees Seol-a as a dear little sister, I don't see him trying to get in the way of her and No-Rae.

I'm tempted to read the rest of the chapters, but I think I'll wait until they're uploaded on Dynasty.

I put all this in spoiler because maybe it was intentional
Isn't this guy Seol A real brother ? The first chapters are confusing but I think i've read in one of the laters that he is indeed her brother.

Crane made this on 4chan:
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10926456_1540968956152077_6899226688388193026_n.jpg?oh=2c86ef2aa56d86e1da4b52b2791e0808&oe=5530B208

Ok I was confused by the different haircut he have in this chapter, with these hair he look totally like the brother.
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/fluttering_feelings_ch05#14

Yeah, that's why I originally got the two of them mixed. Didn't know which one is the brother, and ex-boyfriend. At some point, I thought they're both the same person lol. Turns out, Samba just modified his hairstyle, thats all
On the side note, Samba's art suffers from "same-face", I mean Choi Min Jeong and Hee-Jin look like clones of Baek Seol-a. It's also the same case with Nam Ji Hwan and Baek Jin Woo. Samba needs to stop introducing more characters or I'll go crazy from trying to differentiate them

last edited at Jan 22, 2015 11:15AM

joined Oct 6, 2014

And it's just like you said, queer people living in queer communities and cities have the opportunity to isolate themselves from those of the opposite sex. However for most people living on our planet, this isn't the typical situation.

Fluttering Feelings takes place in Korea, a place without any particularly flourishing queer communities/cities. What >determines whether the absence of men in a yuri manga/manhwa is unrealistic or not is the premise of the story. For a typical Korean college campus in this day and age, it would be unrealistic to have no male characters at all.

Except that it is not an "outlier" experience as Nez has illustrated that straight women often also do not have male friends. Social relations are gendered and they can be very much segregated. So this burning desire people have to see more dudes in yuri is something they should examine.

I do not mean to say that women have ZERO contact with men, I am saying (especially in the case of queer women) they often have very little role in their lives outside of casual contacts.

last edited at Jan 22, 2015 12:11PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

See, this is the part that doesn't scan for me. Seol-a is indeed queen bee, whether she wants to be or not, and that's a plot requirement of this particular story. It's not based on whether women having significant male presence in their lives is realistic or not, it's a decision the author made for this particular story. Having a queen bee to that degree isn't any more realistic than women having only female friends (regardless if they're queer or straight), it's simply a plot decision.

Extrapolating that plot decision to other yuri on the grounds it's "realistic" seems to rest on a very shaky foundation indeed, not least because realism is no indicator of a story's quality. Especially since romance stories already are fantasy stories of a sort.

last edited at Jan 22, 2015 12:36PM

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

And it's just like you said, queer people living in queer communities and cities have the opportunity to isolate themselves from those of the opposite sex. However for most people living on our planet, this isn't the typical situation.

Fluttering Feelings takes place in Korea, a place without any particularly flourishing queer communities/cities. What >determines whether the absence of men in a yuri manga/manhwa is unrealistic or not is the premise of the story. For a typical Korean college campus in this day and age, it would be unrealistic to have no male characters at all.

Except that it is not an "outlier" experience as Nez has illustrated that straight women often also do not have male friends. Social relations are gendered and they can be very much segregated. So this burning desire people have to see more dudes in yuri is something they should examine.

I do not mean to say that women have ZERO contact with men, I am saying (especially in the case of queer women) they often have very little role in their lives outside of casual contacts.

Yes, there are straight women who possibly go through similar experiences as well. However, I would also put them together in the set of outliers, because statistically, most women in general know or have male friends/significant others/family members. These women, if they are "straight", will eventually look for or end up with a man anyways (if not, then they weren't really "straight" in the first place, were they?). Not to be rude, but there is limit to how much social relations can be gendered. I'm sure it's completely normal for children to interact mainly with those of the same gender, but once you grow up, gender usually isn't a critical factor you consider when interacting with people (unless someone has a very conservative/narrow-minded perspective, then I'd understand).

For example, some posters above were discussing the prevalence of male violence in our society. Most of these violent crimes against women (typically rape) are committed by men that women know. If you claim that violence against women is the number one threat against women (statistically), then it would only make sense to say that this is true because most women are familiar with the opposite sex. So, those that do not fall into this majority can be considered outliers of the set. Anecdotal experiences are quite weak when it comes to serving as evidence for or against statistical patterns.

I'm not sure what you've been reading, but I haven't seen anyone say that they desperately want to see more men in yuri. Posters have been defending men's positions in yuri manga/manhwa, because several readers felt disgruntled by the male characters. There's no need to antagonize men in yuri manga; in fact, having male characters helps to convey more relatable/realistic experiences. They're simply human characters, just like the female characters. It just happens that they're included in a story about love between two women, nothing more.

See, this is the part that doesn't scan for me. Seol-a is indeed queen bee, whether she wants to be or not, and that's a plot requirement of this particular story. It's not based on whether women having significant male presence in their lives is realistic or not, it's a decision the author made for this particular story. Having a queen bee to that degree isn't any more realistic than women having only female friends (regardless if they're queer or straight), it's simply a plot decision.

Extrapolating that plot decision to other yuri on the grounds it's "realistic" seems to rest on a very shaky foundation indeed, not least because realism is no indicator of a story's quality. Especially since romance stories already are fantasy stories of a sort.

I was using Fluttering Feelings' premise to defend the position saying that having male characters in this story is realistic (because it is). I wasn't extending this premise to real life situations as well. However I did relate the setting of the story to real situations (i.e. Korea's lack of queer support and communities). My basis for saying that women living without male contact is unrealistic (in other words, it's not likely that the majority of women go through the same experience) is only backed by statistical numbers and facts.

last edited at Jan 22, 2015 4:22PM

joined Oct 24, 2014

really honestly i had assumed that most of the people demanding less men in yuri, were men. lol. like, the general overtones of purity and infantilization that you see in yuri is not something actual queer women would apply to themselves. and i thought that dudes were the ones that would get most threatened by other dudes (within the content they consume, esp straight guys who move from het to primarily yuri, like...really...what do you think they're here for..). esp because with queer girls you get so used to being disappointed by the content marketed as yuri that you start looking for subtext in normal media, which is saturated with dudes, so u get to create the narrative that will satisfy you the most. like, people find yuri in haikyuu, free, literally everywhere - if you want it you get used to working around guys, they are not that scary. its not so much that i want men to be love interests, or that im particularly interested in love triangle related drama, because wow that is so tired, but that any male character is seen as a romantic threat (because ofc ~why would she be attracted to that other girl if theres a viable male right there~) is annoying lol. and reading comments from people freaking out is annoying. also it seems like ssamba is setting up a sexuality debate w/in the story, because kim gyeong-woo and kim no-rae are obvious mirrors of each other - they even have the same last name - so i wouldn't be surprised if there was a brief plot where seol-a decides to date him (being the 'male ver') b4 realizing shes thirsty for no-rae exclusively, and if it happens there will be capslock everywhere lol. i guess another reason why im not too concerned is that i just get the feeling ssamba is pretty trustworthy.

the debate on realism is pretty baffling to me, because as long as the characters are behaving in a believably human, realistic way, in all other parts of the narrative realism depends on context. i dont think it would be possible to impose universality on it one way or the other, because invariably you end up delegitimatizing someone else's experiences. its pretty interesting to think about, though.

joined Mar 23, 2013

As for men being portrayed as dangerous, uh, statistically, the world over, the number one threat to women is violence perpetrated by men.

I think statistics show the no.1 threat to women are their male intimate partners, male family members or male friends, which is mindbogglingly worse.

Statiscally the number one threat to anyone... aside maybe violence towards babies is men. We sort of do a lot of stuff.

joined Jan 19, 2015

what's up with these long paragraphs lol

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

what's up with these long paragraphs lol

It's called discussion. Surprisingly some people have more than one sentence to say on a given subject. Weird, huh?

Tumblr_inline_nhe8a3uf1f1qd2lvk
joined Aug 15, 2014

OMFG I just recently read the English translation of chapter 19 and all I gotta say is too much freaking tease!! Holy crap!!! So many tease!!! I swear it's gonna make you scream for joy then the next thing you know is that it's back to normal,, like, I can't explain it properly in words right now cuz this is too much tease for me OMFG!!!! Worth it tho!!!

joined Oct 6, 2014

Sigh. My comment is not about being threatened by men, it is socio-political commentary on the portrayal of men and women in media. Capitalist societies (and most societies across the planet) are patriarchies. Men's stories are told with such abundance that we are utterly saturated with whole, multidimensional male characters. Given that that is the case, I do not feel I am losing out by not having male characters in Yuri. Someone said not having males in yuri stories was unrealistic, i merely pointed out that social relations, especially among queers, are often gendered and that it is not uncommon for women to not have very many male friends.

I really do not think these are difficult concepts to grasp, but whatever. I am over the entire conversation.

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

Chapter 20 has been put up!
LINK DELETED BY REQUEST

I really do not think these are difficult concepts to grasp, but whatever. I am over the entire conversation.

But statistically it is unrealistic. By unrealistic, I don't mean that it's impossible to happen in real life, I simply mean that it's unlikely to happen. I'm pretty sure said social relations depend heavily on your culture and your geographical location. I don't think the gist of my arguments were very difficult to understand either, but clearly it's not my problem if you don't.

last edited at Feb 10, 2015 7:41PM

joined Dec 22, 2014

waaaahhh cant wait for the next upload!!!!!! XD

Beetle_juice_1988_720p_brrip__a_release-lounge_h264_.mp4_snapshot_00.51.46__2012.09.11_20.09.39_
joined Apr 20, 2014

Chapter 20 has been put up!
LINK DELETED BY REQUEST

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks, you're my hero. Girlsss we have a "romantic date" for the next chapter. I can't wait ;)

last edited at Feb 10, 2015 7:42PM

1nora%20cooper
joined Nov 23, 2014

Yess 20 chap rock ! :3 I think 3-4 more chapters and we will have something more romantic ^^ Like author said everything just started "since 19 chap" so looking forward for this story ! ( I rly like realistic story line ;d like they cant just meet and start dating... They need time like normal people >.<)

last edited at Jan 25, 2015 8:16PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

So is my internet connection being WEIRD or you can't zoom on the pictures in the Google Drive account now?

halmoni Uploader
Jjjtjtjtjy
joined Jan 6, 2015

So is my internet connection being WEIRD or you can't zoom on the pictures in the Google Drive account now?

I just checked and I seem to be having the same problem as well (for all of the chapters). I'll ask QCO about it and keep you all updated if we manage to fix this issue.

Edit: I found out that if you click the items box on the far left bottom corner "x of x items", after clicking on an image, you will be able to zoom in.

last edited at Jan 26, 2015 3:12AM

joined Jan 5, 2015

One thing I like about Korean manwha (manga) is that the authors are quick (very!) in updating their chapters. Mostly once a week. E.g. Girls of the Wild's, Fluttering Feelings, Orange Marmalade, etc, unless they are on a health break. Japanese manga takes forever (e.g. Citrus 2 months, Princess Mirror 1 mth). And what happened to Their Story (Chinese manga)? It hasn't been updated for ages! (x_X) Gosh, I need a life!

last edited at Jan 26, 2015 6:44AM

Thumb
joined Dec 23, 2014

Oh my god, chapter 20 is awesome, why can't they just realise that they are gay for eachother already?! I do like the slow progress though, it makes it more realistic. They are so fucking cute~

last edited at Jan 26, 2015 3:08PM

Fairy_tail_zero_ch03_12%20-%20c%c3%b3pia
joined Dec 7, 2014

Seol-A is sooo in love with No-Rae, both of them are, they just didn't realize that yet, this is so good, No-Rae is so cute and Seol-A is so hot, one of my favorites so far.

I don't know who post the later chapters here or who translate, but i want to say thank you, thank you very much for doing this.

And thanks to dynasty reader for given me a chance to get to know this awesome world of shoujo-ai/yuri mangá \o/

To reply you must either login or sign up.