Forum › If You Could See Love discussion

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

Not too bad. I'm just glad they didn't go with a lame poly ending. That would've felt like a cop out

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

In my opinion, for a poly relationship to truly work, all the parties involved have to love each other. That wasn't the case in this manga so I never saw a poly ending as an option. If the manga went there, it would have felt forced to me.

Thank you. I don't like how so many of the readers were trying to force these characters into a relationship none of them wanted to be in. They are the equivalent to when a person picks one girl instead of a harem, even though none of the girls want to be in a harem. It's kind of insulting to the characters tbh

joined Feb 1, 2021

IMO the story had been presenting Sayo and Rinna on such an equal footing (down to their position on the volume covers!) that there was no way to make the choice between them not feel arbitrary.

Dc42c421b77cd6d3084fe2db220282e3
joined Aug 16, 2020

Man, I was really charmed by this manga and I'm glad I got to read it but I can't help but feel it was way undercooked. There's so much that feels like it was dropped or underdeveloped and the last chapter was very sweet but didn't feel earned. It's like you get halfway through a book and find out the rest of the pages until the conclusion have been torn out. I really wanted more about Mei coming to understand and accept Rinna's love at first sight but it wound up feeling like Rinna didn't get taken seriously by the story.

As far as the poly stuff goes I feel let down like a lot of people here. Even if it didn't go for the poly end it really seemed like it was introducing these ideas to create wrinkles in the love triangle that never happen, particularly with the actual poly couple and the accidental kiss. I would have loved for them to consider the idea and over time find out whether or not it works for them. Even if not it would've been an interesting exploration of love and it feels like this manga split the difference between Mei learning about different types of love and Mei's relationships with Sayo and Rinna without making either part feel particularly complete. I liked it but it really needed another volume or two I guess. Loooooove the art though.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Thanks for the scans!
I liked it myself, had a kind of Kashimashi ending, though I was also hoping for the poly

thechampionmike95
Latest-1-1
joined Aug 6, 2015

Maybe I'm just blind but where did the story ever introduce or show any hints that the girls wanted a poly relationship? Some of you sound like harem fans that want the MC to live with their harem and bash them if they just wants a single lover. I'd agree if their was any actual discussion being made in any of them actually wanting a poly relationship. There's a big difference between showing a poly relationship and the characters wanting one. No matter what anyone says these characters never once wanted a poly relationship. It's pretty selfish to be agree that the characters didn't bend to your wishes on how their relationship should go.

Dc42c421b77cd6d3084fe2db220282e3
joined Aug 16, 2020

Maybe I'm just blind but where did the story ever introduce or show any hints that the girls wanted a poly relationship? Some of you sound like harem fans that want the MC to live with their harem and bash them if they just wants a single lover. I'd agree if their was any actual discussion being made in any of them actually wanting a poly relationship. There's a big difference between showing a poly relationship and the characters wanting one. No matter what anyone says these characters never once wanted a poly relationship. It's pretty selfish to be agree that the characters didn't bend to your wishes on how their relationship should go.

I think what's made people particularly frustrated here is that it's a love triangle between three people who care about and support each other, it directly brings up polyamory in the story, and doesn't even give them the opportunity to say no.

joined Jun 30, 2016

Aww man, when they showed the teacher relationships, i though they were hinting to an ending like that, i would had love for another arc dedicated to the Rinna finding her other half but it seems they just axed the manga, still it was a good read with really cute art, thanks for the translations.

Psyduck
joined Jun 17, 2015

The poly chapter was so bad, the author had to quickly retcon all the threesome setup and then get axed the very next chapter lol

Agreed with everyone here tho that it really is a waste of such nice art and character designs.

Tumblr_inline_nhvrix3pa41suuiq8
joined Feb 16, 2018

A rare victory for the childhood friend.

This was a cute and mostly pleasant story, glad the end was clear.

joined Apr 29, 2020

with how little f/f/f polyam stuff there is in general it's kinda depressing that one of the few times something actually feels set up for it the author goes for the mono route

Untitled
joined Aug 17, 2020

I've been rooting for the osananajimi route the whole time but deep inside I know poly won't be as bad, but it was great. I wish to see them in college days too like couple life or something so I wish this won't be tagged as completed yet

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

So this is it huh? Was this... Uh... Axed? I'll assume it was. Although my issues with this will stand no matter the circumstances.
I won't get into the poly stuff, because people can set up themselves for whatever and feel disappointed. It's that type of story, where you introduce multiple love interests and "someone will get disappointed". Be it people who shipped certain pairs, or wanted a harem route. I personally haven't seen any kind of baits, just an... Well, an awkward attempt to have a "moral" for lack of a better word.

As for my issues with the story? Well now. When I first stumbled upon this story, I really liked the premise. Those arrows were what made it for me. I think a lot of people got curious about that. It's not something super unique, a superpower around love, but it's not that often used and I don't think I ever saw actual arrows pointing from one person to another. While they were used as an initial setup for things, they sort of... Never got resolved. Now, they disappeared because Mei finally fell in love (I mean I assume that in a short-story-short kind of deal) but... That's my point. They never really... They weren't touched aside from them being and then suddenly not being there. I'm not asking for an explanation of the supernatural phenomenon, but at least some kind of foreshadowing that it's because she had issues with romance? I'm not sure what I would expect, but I sure didn't expect it to just... Resolve itself like that. That's really my main grudge with this series.

Like I mentioned before, this really feels rushed at the end there. With the author having a specific couple in mind, but since Rinna didn't deserve to be just a side attraction, let's give her the focus at the end there and just show her as this sparkling fountain of love.

With the initial setup with the president and her sister AND the talk about arrows and helping people out, I really thought this would be a story similar to the one we got in the "Kindred spirit on the roof". With a troubled protagonist, who starts helping others in their love journey, while getting occupied by it to the point they haven't noticed their own arrow or something similar. Their own love, basically. Which I'd go for personally. I don't care if the "love" at the end would be towards one two five or ten people. Instead, we got... Well, this.

Now the story wasn't horrible. If anything, it's just frustrating because it had so much potential. The art was pretty neat. This story has plenty of cute and wholesome moments. I really do hope that this author will make some more stuff in the future, but try something... Simpler? Or at least something they'll be able to control more.

last edited at Feb 13, 2022 12:43PM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

you can't tell me that the author didn't write a poly ending and then need to recycle a bunch of pages and panels to make a janky mei/sayu ending

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Re: the arrows

There seems to be a tendency in stories where the protagonist has a special sense about others (one that isn't an actual superpower) for that special power to just get lost or sort of phased out by the end of the series.

• One example is a manga where the protagonist can see when people are lying (they appear as black shadows or something--sorry, no hope of recalling the title).

• It happens more than a few times in Kdramas (I distinctly recall The Girl Who Sees Smells, where it started out with said girl helping the police solve crimes, but by the end her special ability seemed to be almost entirely forgotten.)

I don't know if the writers get tired of the gimmick, or they haven't thought through how the powers work into the endgame, or what, but it does seem to be somewhat of a pattern in certain kinds of stories.

last edited at Feb 13, 2022 12:55PM

Fb_img_1519730104292
joined Sep 16, 2017

Threesome failed... :(

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Definitely disappointed in this ending. Felt like there was much more planned to build up their relationship that got cut short, even if the end goal was Sayo from the start (which I personally don't think it was), even then it felt weirdly rushed and unfinished.
Pretty art and lots of promise but in the end a letdown, sad.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

An interesting concept but I guess it wasn't popular enough to keep the story going. If it was going to end so quickly it's tragic that about as much time in the middle got spent on minor characters as the relationship between the leads.

I guess the market can't support angsty but fairly chaste love triangle stories

last edited at Feb 13, 2022 3:02PM

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

If you're wondering why there's so much belief in a poly ending for this manga, you might want to re-read chapter 8. That's the one where Mei learns two of her teachers are in a poly relationship, and that the three of them met while students and roommates at Mei's school.

It draws some pretty strong parallels between those three and Mei, Sayo and Rinna. Mei even returns from this meeting and tells them both - at the same time - that she loves them, in addition to smiling when she sees a love arrow going from Rinna to Sayo. She then takes both of their hands and sits on the bed with them (again, all together) and the chapter ends with a photo of the three adults when they were at the same age as the main trio.

I get that fans can get unrealistic ideas stuck in their heads and then get disappointed when they don't pan out, but to say that series never teased a poly ending seems incorrect. It may or may not have been the "original" plan, but it clearly was put on the table as an option.

Ultimately, I think if it was planned, it likely was more a casualty of time than cowardice or meddling. The author likely was told the series was cancelled with only a couple of chapters left to wrap it up, and since Mei's relationship with Sayo had been more explored (so far, at least), it "defaulted" to that ending. Notice how Rinna was just kinda...there at the end. It seems like the author had to rush to figure out a halfway happy ending for her after not having one ready, so they went with the "well, she loves everyone and everyone loves her" thing.

I'm certainly disappointed in how it ended, though I guess it could be worse. And I definitely will indulge in a little headcanon and say that Mei and Sayo got together with Rinna now that they're all adults, because it makes me happy and you can't stop me! :P But I'll mostly just put this one in the "I liked it, but it ended too soon" bin and move on.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Say, I noticed one thing about the last chapter that, unless someone corrects me, really underlines for me a certain "trying too hard" going on. That is, didn't the MC stop being able to see the love arrows after she fell in love? But now, after the time skip, just to reassure us that the triangle/poly is off and there's really no hard or lingering feelings, suddenly she can see the other love interest's lotsa-little-arrows-but-none-really-pointing-at-the-MC.

So, why can she see that, aside from it being convenient for beating us over the head with "It's cool, no lost love to see here"? Did the ability come back and I missed it, or something?

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Say, I noticed one thing about the last chapter that, unless someone corrects me, really underlines for me a certain "trying too hard" going on. That is, didn't the MC stop being able to see the love arrows after she fell in love? But now, after the time skip, just to reassure us that the triangle/poly is off and there's really no hard or lingering feelings, suddenly she can see the other love interest's lotsa-little-arrows-but-none-really-pointing-at-the-MC.

So, why can she see that, aside from it being convenient for beating us over the head with "It's cool, no lost love to see here"? Did the ability come back and I missed it, or something?

I think it was a "cheeky" way to show that she's belowed. One panel might be "from the past" where she still saw it. Others are just that I think, a cheeky way to "show" it.

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

Sayo is so cute, this is trully a happiness cries tears of joy

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Sigh. Another disappointing ending. Maybe one day we'll get a good one.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Ultimately, I think if it was planned, it likely was more a casualty of time than cowardice or meddling. The author likely was told the series was cancelled with only a couple of chapters left to wrap it up, and since Mei's relationship with Sayo had been more explored (so far, at least), it "defaulted" to that ending.

Didn't stop Luminous to have a poly ending with less buildup.

joined Feb 10, 2022

The author didnt even explain the arrows thing tho some were easy to figure out, and I wonder the same... If the reason she stopped seeing the arrows was cause she found love according to the school prez, I wonder why she was able to still see them. We will never know.

To reply you must either login or sign up.