Forum › Dynasty Cafe: A Home for Off-Topic Discussion where everyone's welcome! (ღˇ◡ˇ)~♥

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Once in a while, I have this weird realization of how big the Dynasty community actually is. It feels like there's just a few dozen people who regularly comment, to the point that unfamiliar user names jump out. But then I look at the list of Most Popular on the landing page, where some have over 20K views, and it makes me realize how many "silent" users there must be on this site. Makes me wonder what the ratio is for lurkers to active community participants.

Well, we can only guess, because the numbers are not really all that straightforward. For example, let us use the January of 2019; there were over 600 000 unique visitors passing through the site that month. We can safely assume that 20% to 50% of that traffic were bots. We can also safely assume that most visitors were actually counted twice, once for the PC connection and once for the mobile one, as the PC/mobile divide in the numbers is roughly equal. But the problem is that some users use only one or the other and there is essentially no way to tell any of this apart.

Basically, it is guesswork, and it depends on what you think how many users utilise both the mobile and PC connection to get here, and how many use only one of these avenues. But it is likely the site gets a few hundred thousand individual people passing through it on a monthly basis.

At that time (2019) there were also around 55 000 registered users (people with Dynasty accounts). The Forum received around 7000 unique visits monthly (same caveats apply, up to 50% of this are likely bots and some users are counted twice).

So the active Forum community really represents only a tiny percentage of the overall mass of people who use this site. Hell, the majority of people who visit the Forum itself are lurkers (as it is plainly evident we do not have active posters counted in 4-digit figures).

Also, these are all 2019 numbers, the site is significantly bigger now than it was back then.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

The size of the community is actually what turns me away from the discord server, there is just too much stuff going on and too many posts so I just get confused easily. Doesn't help that I'm not familiar with discord at all, so I get overwhelmed easily. Forums feels a bit easier since it's more linear and more fragmented between the various threads

joined Feb 1, 2021

I lurked for over two years before registering here.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Um, so... I came across this song by Atarashii Gakko... and I'm not sure if it was incredibly catchy or incredibly cringy...? but it sure made me look for more. The main vocalist was just so captivating! So I listened to a couple more songs of theirs and then watched a clip from their first live performance in the U.S., which apparently took place in July of last year, and then looked up their ages (and as expected found that they're no longer in high school lol, but they most likely would've been when they started, so they get a pass —jk) and then I listened to some more songs and then I came to write this and I am just now realising it's almost 4:00 am...

Anyway, they're very energetic and fun, they have actual dance performances along with their singing (they don't have actual boxing matches along with their singing —but they get close), I think I just might become a fan! Though most of their songs aren't the type of music I usually listen to, so we'll see how it goes.

Oh, and did I mention how great the main vocalist was?

last edited at Jan 27, 2022 9:24PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013
joined Jul 26, 2016

This is pretty kek

TL since I expect most people here don't understand a lick of Finnish - a start-up in Södertälje, Sweden has designed a device which recruits birds to assist in cleaning litter off the streets. A sensor in the thing identifies trash dropped into the bin and rewards them with peanuts; people only need to empty the trash bin and refill the peanut container.

Easy-peasy for critters as smart as the corvids and if anything peanuts are healtier eating for them than all the junk food and whatnot they scavenge in an urban setting (city birds commonly have nutritional deficiencies due to their diet)...

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

ChikyuuNeko posted:

The size of the community is actually what turns me away from the discord server, there is just too much stuff going on and too many posts so I just get confused easily. Doesn't help that I'm not familiar with discord at all, so I get overwhelmed easily. Forums feels a bit easier since it's more linear and more fragmented between the various threads

Honestly, yeah. Was on Discord for like 4 years and only started popping in more when it really looked to be necessary. I think the faster bite-sized communication, and general chaos, are things you can get used to with some practice now. Nowadays I watch the 2-3 channels I'm in regularly and ignore the rest! Forum is still a much comfier place tho.

Also quite late for some, but happy holidays & new year everyone! Hope all are staying safe and looking forward to another awesome year of yuri!

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

So a new game just dropped on Switch/PS called Maglam lord. Apparently, it's action/romance and you can be male or female and you can romance anyone? I'll check it out later because I just bought Hyrule warriors age of calamity and Crash 4.

So yeah, just heads up for anyone bored in need for a new game can try it and share their thoughts on it. Reviews seem average but idgaf about those """profesional reviewers"", I trust real people's opinions way more....are we real tho? Hmmm.

Oh and also playing Master Duel. Add meeeee let's play some Yu-Gi-Oh!

last edited at Feb 6, 2022 4:40AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I saw the trailer of Maglam lord, it made me so happy to see the female and male mc with chances to both whatever, and the protagonist design is sooo good!!

What? Ufotable made yuri ninjas in 2004??? Not clickbait! apparently is called Ninin ga Shinobuden, I didn't know at all...

Nozomi Entertainment released the Bluray in north america a few years ago ... I'm going for nyaa to check it out, not sure how much yuri will it be, but it picked my interest

FACK I already crossed the 7000+ comments, I was looking forward to the 6969 one, let's see in which comment I wasted it...
Okay both the 7000 and the 6969 were BaeRys ship pictures lo/ that's fate

last edited at Feb 14, 2022 1:32PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

What? Ufotable made yuri ninjas in 2004??? Not clickbait! apparently is called Ninin ga Shinobuden, I didn't know at all...

Oh I remember that one. IIRC decently entertaining screwball comedy and there was definite chemistry between the protag and the ninja girl.

3f48345b35ccc95b053a84bb6bebc6ff
joined Feb 12, 2022

oh god, I feel so stressed today

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Oh boy, a DOTA patch!

Oh no, a DOTA patch!

RIP Goblin Techies. You were with us not for a good time, but a time nonetheless.

edit: For those who don't understand this great tragedy, DOTA is a game that started as a Warcraft 3 mod. It's like League of Legends, but it was made years prior, and early League cribbed a lot from old DOTA.
DOTA is an incredible game with a dreadfully mismanaged pro scene (in comparison to League), a sizable following (but nothing as enormous as League's), and one exceptionally mediocre anime that was probably made for the sole purpose of having a DOTA anime out before Riot could finish up Arcane.
(The only ones that can surpass the hatred League of Legends fans feel for DOTA is us DOTA fans. It's a complicated relationship.)

So one of the playable characters in DOTA, Techies, got a big rework in the latest patch.

See, the thing about Techies is nobody actually likes Techies. In fact nearly everyone hates them. Their abilities all revolve around explosions, particularly laying invisible mines that tend to make games take way longer than they need to. A thirty minute game might become a two hour game if there's a Techies in it. That's not hyperbole or exaggeration. And there's no option to surrender.

The heart and soul of Techies, however, was exploding themselves. They were based on the goblin sapper squad from Warcraft 2 and 3 whose sole attack was to detonate, killing themselves and dealing a large amount of damage to everything around them. It was announced several days before the patch that Techies would be getting a rework (and there was much rejoicing, and also jokes and/or serious requests that the rework just be their removal from the game). Personally, I figured there'd be changes to their mines, maybe they'd replace some of those abilities with non-mine abilities, and they did. I also figured they would NOT remove the ability to blow themselves up, partly because that goes against their legacy, and partly because it wasn't even the problem to begin with, but they did.

Of course, the rework is probably more to make them pickable in pro matches than it is to make them less annoying to low-skill scrubs like me, so I better start seeing some Techies picks, or this whole thing was for nothing.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

last edited at Feb 24, 2022 6:36PM

joined Aug 29, 2019

oh god, I feel so stressed today

I fear things may have gotten worse since you wrote that last week. At least, more reason to stress.

I didn't get nearly the amount of enjoyment out of the announcement of Spice and Wolf's new anime output yesterday, despite that being one of my all-time-favorites, nor from the announcement that A Yuri Manga That Starts With Getting Rejected in a Dream discussion is making a comeback, heck, not even from the new chapters of Hino-san, Can't Defy the Lonely Girl and Please Bully Me, Miss Villainess! or even Elden Ring. Still, I don't think I'm falling into depression, but it's just so aggravating...

Not that I wasn't stressed last week (work reasons) as well, but this week the rest of the world really is kind of a downer.

joined Mar 7, 2022

not that i didn't already know this, but holy hell the mods here are shit

banned in part for "off-topic posting", for discussing incest in a comic that was about incest. i dont give a shit about the ban, i knew that i would get banned but not the person saying i have a single brain cell from the moment i wrote that post, but at least give a valid reason instead of that dumbfuck "you're allowed to talk about incestous people as if they're subhuman when the comic mentions it, but if you dare defend incest when the comic mentions, BAN FOR YOU" reason

Hodo%20hodo
joined Apr 11, 2019

mad cuz bad

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

856601 posted:

not that i didn't already know this, but holy hell the mods here are shit

banned in part for "off-topic posting", for discussing incest in a comic that was about incest. i dont give a shit about the ban, i knew that i would get banned but not the person saying i have a single brain cell from the moment i wrote that post, but at least give a valid reason instead of that dumbfuck "you're allowed to talk about incestous people as if they're subhuman when the comic mentions it, but if you dare defend incest when the comic mentions, BAN FOR YOU" reason

The difference between you and jayxnoir is that you've already received a final warning once before, and your past behaviours are not indicative of a light touch. Have a nice day.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Well this is something: quite the whopper of a charity sale on itch to support humanitarian work in Ukraine. Popped up on my MSN newsfeed courtesy of a local gaming news site.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

This is a dynasty mod appreciation post.

(Protip: before saying anything on the internet, re-read it and consider whether A) it's worth saying and B) you would say it to someone much larger than you with a surly disposition and a spiked bat.)

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Mangadex without comments is really making me sad, on the other hand, there was a lot of toxicity, spam and PM harassment back then, so I understand why they want to make it right or not release it right away.

But then again I'm reading Watashi ga Motenai and it feels lonely... My Crossdressing senpai makes lots of good turns and REALLY bad ones too, the comments would be fun and I can share my frustration and so many yuri and fantasy works too, not to mention, all those scan groups who can't interact with the fans unless they have a discord or give up and read the comments on aggregator sites

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Mangadex without comments is really making me sad, on the other hand, there was a lot of toxicity, spam and PM harassment back then, so I understand why they want to make it right or not release it right away.

But then again I'm reading Watashi ga Motenai and it feels lonely... My Crossdressing senpai makes lots of good turns and REALLY bad ones too, the comments would be fun and I can share my frustration and so many yuri and fantasy works too, not to mention, all those scan groups who can't interact with the fans unless they have a discord or give up and read the comments on aggregator sites

Oho? Somebody else reading My Crossdressing Senpai? Well how bout that.

The lack of comments on MD has certainly been unfortunate, hopefully they can get that back sometime soon. They were usually okay, and being unable to talk about shared interests always sucks.

I've been reading a variety of manhwa on the BiliBili comics app (which is probably Chinese spyware, but eh, wcyd ¯\ _ (ツ)_/¯), and while that has comment sections, they feel like they're inhabited by 12 year-olds. Nothing of value is ever said in them, it's mostly squealing about how great their waifus are or whining about something updating weekly rather than daily.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yes but actually nop... hahaha, today there was an update on My Crossdressing Senpai and it basically meant the end for me, but the dream was nice while it lasted.

Welp, time to read Tsubame Tip Off hahaha

last edited at Mar 11, 2022 4:25PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

There's /r/manga...

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

Did anyone hear about the Bullet Train that got derailed in Japan about 12 hours ago?

Here's a link if you're interested...
Link

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Just saw but apparently everyone inside it's safe, they had to wait a few hours to leave because of electric outage https://twitter.com/GearoidReidy/status/1504263905748844545/photo/1

Speaking of earthquakes, before the period of November 2020 and the first third of 2021, I had experienced like 4 to 6 earthquakes in my entire life, but during that short period last year we had like 5 each week, it was crazy!!!! we thought it was going to be the new normal but fortunately we're back to "normal" now.

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

Yeah, I've experienced 2 earthquakes in Japan before. One was in a hotel room and the other was on a bullet train. Both were pretty small magnitude earthquakes so I didn't really notice them at first but it was a very odd feeling. I've never experienced it before since the country I live in doesn't have them...

To reply you must either login or sign up.