Forum › Making Progress on Yuri Before the Deadline discussion

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

The last thing I read about with a similar scene to the LGBT talk was ... Tomoko Kuroki, tbh. And she's a pretty realistic confused bisexual or something near it mess. And even Tomoko, FWIW, isn't openly saying she's bisexual, and she's still making occasional snips about lesbians (though she's still making occasional snips about nearly everything). So this is an advance upon Watamote. The problem for Watamote is it's still got an element of cringe and it's comedy. this one can be her, cousin and author all going yes you're gay and that's great we don't have a problem with it, we'll support you. I think the protagonist already felt isolated. There are some other Japanese yuris - plenty of them, really - which are realistic, where the difference is they have friends who do support them. I think if she had enough good friends she would have never run away.

joined Mar 8, 2020

This series seems really solid. If possible I would like to check out the original novel... If I can actually read Japanese or find Chinese translations...

There is a english fantranslation for the LN, which is nearly done with the Volume 1 of it, manga is adapting 1 LN chapter to 1 manga chapter

the original original would be the WN but author deleted most of it after it started publishing as LN

last edited at Jan 19, 2022 2:31PM

joined Jun 11, 2016

Imagine there were teen kids like that, who lash out with violence when they feel horrible humiliation. Hah! As if! This manga is so unrealistic.

I really do not get the impulse to criticize stories or to lecture fictional characters that fail to display the optimal, most mature, therapized, psychologically healthy, emotionally centered, and socially constructive behavior in every fictional situation.

super late but I'm sure that the prior comment was sarcasm

joined Jun 11, 2016

Anw lol I love the running gag about what the cousin said, "break your collarbone" ftw!

Also I really like how the author writes Ayu. She's obviously a teenager who acts before she thinks like most teenagers do, and she's also very naive and innocent, from the way she views the world and how easily swayed she was. I think she's pretty realistic and I love it!

@Grail and @Linterdiction, I just wanna say that you two rocks!! Amazing comments, I wish the discussion had more people like you guys!

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Huh interesting, it is true that this is the first manga ive ever read that uses LGBT as a topic... Ugh... That girl in the first ch reminded me of myself when i first knew about gay ppl... thinking about it i got lucky that no one in my circle brought the topic to a serious conversation since one of my friends was gay and probably i would have said something that i would have regretted.
heh, i was the last one to know about it... Guess it was written in my face what i thought back then...

last edited at Jan 19, 2022 3:46PM

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Reject human become Pokute.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Ah yes, the old country girls don't understand the finances of cityfolk chestnut. It did seem rather fishy to me that she can afford all this as an author. But when it comes to manga the exceptional can be sold all too easily as the standard. Even as we trade the setting of an unbelievably successful author with a rich CEO's daughter it seems about equally extreme.

This manga is very intent on pushing for the greatest contrast possible between the two main characters. Age, finances, family situation, maturity, education, success, life skills, interests. They all are far apart. The question is whether there are simply commonalities that are not immediately apparent (like homosexuality) or whether it is a more traditional story of pulling each other into unfamiliar territory to become more complete as people.

Myaa-san is the true driving force of this plot without any screentime. Truly remarkable.

This story is directly challenging the established yuri convention of women in love with women who are very carefully made not gay, and all the effort that typically goes into avoiding any societal commentary. Call it escapist fantasy, call it squeamish, I’ve been getting pretty frustrated with Japanese yuri lately because of how it feels like there’s this layer of film separating it from reality. A lot of the Chinese and Korean modern-setting yuri has this more grounded sense of reality and verisimilitude, because the gay women are fucking gay, whether they’re on lesbian internet communities, have read shit like Citrus and make references to it, talk about the dangers of falling for straight girls, or literally just use the word lesbian at all, ever, at any point in their series.

As I brought it up in the first place I can only say that this is exactly my perspective on the matter as well. While there are notable exceptions that have a more grounded view of lesbianism in Japan, they still tend to pull their punches or keep things focused on just one issue at a time.
Something I need to point out, however, is that labels are hugely unpopular in Japan, even within the LGBT community. At least the more straightfoward type of the West. Of course you could make a very strong case for cause and effect being reversed here... no labels due to negative reaction to labels is an all too common development. Only does it seem to have been more culturally persistent in Japan to the point where even the involved parties keep it to a minimum within their own ranks. While naturally a lesbian bar will have many women who can tell you exactly what they prefer, it is still more than common for such women to not seek out those communities in the first place. As expected of a society where even the interactions between the opposite sex are kept to an awkward minimum.

Nearly all Japanese yuri series I’ve read on this site seem to exist in a world where there is zero queer community, zero place for self-identification as someone who is attracted to women—where all the trappings of a heteronormative society exist, like comparing one’s love interest to boys or a presented scarcity of female/female couples, or where characters start out unaware that women can even be together. You know who doesn’t do that? Still Sick, So do you want to go out or…?, and Even if it was just once, and do you know what else they have in common? They fucking slap, first off, but also they are innovative and soulful, and I still think about them months or years after I’ve been reading them.

Though I have my own misgivings with "So do you want to go out or...?", I can see your point about the level of acknowledgement that all those series deal with (though "Even if it was just once I regret it" being on the more superficial side on that topic). All I want to ask is to also understand that different series go for different things. It is disappointing how few series actually delve into the nitty-gritty of homosexual life in such a place, but many of the tropes you mentioned also attempt to deal with ignorance and bigotry in their own way. Often enough the isolation of being completely disconnected from homosexual communities or even proper education on the topic at all is the most painful reality. And for those people who may find themselves in such a lot or spend a considerable chunk of their lives in it, the wish fulfillment of a world where this can be the case and a yuri protagonist still finds unconditional happiness is a rewarding experience.

Alas, it is usually simply a side-effect of the author themselves having no experience with the topic, so perhaps I give too much credit.

I’m hype as fuck for this manga, and if you’re not, that’s cool, but I’m not hearing it when people start talking this “clichéd” shit like it’s not brave as hell for the artist to defy genre conventions so starkly and bring up real societal ills that seemingly nobody else will speak to.

Brave? Perhaps not. Subvertive and intriguing? For sure. Though after three chapters it is hard to gauge how much of this manga will truly focus on that aspect in particular. I believe the author used these matters to ground the setting and characters, but the real meat of it may be in different areas.

last edited at Jan 19, 2022 5:59PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

Also note that most of us just see what manga gets translated. There could be a bunch of realistic gay manga that we don't hear about if it doesn't interest translators.

I also feel that various series I've read here have had non-zero discussion of identity or issues, if usually not as blunt as the opening of this series. Like Bloom Into You having Sayaka seeing and talk with the lesbian cafe owner. Maybe something in Girl Friends, though I haven't read it in a long time.

But yeah, lots of stuff is smut and/or just happy.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

rainbow8 posted:

Also note that most of us just see what manga gets translated. There could be a bunch of realistic gay manga that we don't hear about if it doesn't interest translators.

I also feel that various series I've read here have had non-zero discussion of identity or issues, if usually not as blunt as the opening of this series. Like Bloom Into You having Sayaka seeing and talk with the lesbian cafe owner. Maybe something in Girl Friends, though I haven't read it in a long time.

But yeah, lots of stuff is smut and/or just happy.

Well I found this recently from the author that did Ise chan and Shima san https://mangadex.org/title/40931d0c-b05e-423c-b79d-1c6d21199ec5/shuuden-de-kaesanai-tatta-hitotsu-houhou I've only read the first chapter but it looks like they gonna face "real" struggles.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Well I found this recently from the author that did Ise chan and Shima san https://mangadex.org/title/40931d0c-b05e-423c-b79d-1c6d21199ec5/shuuden-de-kaesanai-tatta-hitotsu-houhou I've only read the first chapter but it looks like they gonna face "real" struggles.

I've read several chapters of that just now, and no more 'struggle' than many other series. Also, the first several chapters are one couple, but then it starts shifting to new couples. One of those does have a brief line about having to date a girl in secret, vs. being able to say you have a boyfriend, but it's not a deep exploration.

last edited at Jan 20, 2022 2:03AM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Ayu is smort

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Ayu really is a good girl. I hope Sensei doesn't play with her heart too much...

joined May 10, 2021

I recognise such blushing, and I love it!
Also Ayu is way too precious

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I want some of that fine gay wine

joined May 1, 2015

Nice, things are really moving now.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Those are not sunglasses

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

No way around it, that collarbone has to go...

And looks like Sensei is starting to fall as well. ^_^

joined Mar 26, 2021

Starry skies make you gay, huh... The more you know.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Since 30k Yen can be simply stated/equated as $300.00 USD(current rate makes it 261.00),what kind of diamond encrusted gold plated electric toothbrush did she buy?

The answer might be a Panasonic,because the one bastard I found was more then DOUBLE that price.

And here I am with a sub-$15.00 USD one which was roughly RM 60.00 MYR.

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

This is very cute. I like the tension and discomfort that the power imbalance creates.

last edited at Feb 3, 2022 7:58PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yeah I think she landed a pretty nice deal for a job and stay but if anything goes wrong she can't really just quit and go back to her parents... This is a very delicate thing

joined Jan 14, 2020

Yeah I think she landed a pretty nice deal for a job and stay but if anything goes wrong she can't really just quit and go back to her parents... This is a very delicate thing

Hush, you. No psychological realism in our sweet power exchange comedy. Even if it did start out with realistic homophobia.

joined Mar 28, 2021

Those are not sunglasses

i think it’s one of those fancy glasses that shift to sunglasses when it’s sunny

Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

Since 30k Yen can be simply stated/equated as $300.00 USD(current rate makes it 261.00),what kind of diamond encrusted gold plated electric toothbrush did she buy?

The answer might be a Panasonic,because the one bastard I found was more then DOUBLE that price.

And here I am with a sub-$15.00 USD one which was roughly RM 60.00 MYR.

Hah! Here I am with a free one I got from my last visit to the dentist!

joined Nov 13, 2021

Lol,ur already in love(。•̀ᴗ-)✧

last edited at Feb 3, 2022 11:05PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.