Forum › Yuri Kuma Arashi discussion

Tumblr_nsb2wsngkl1t0bs5do3_250
joined Jul 2, 2013

Since you're here Nez. Why was the KyouSaya thread deleted? This is under the assumption that it was deleted and by you.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Since you're here Nez. Why was the KyouSaya thread deleted? This is under the assumption that it was deleted and by you.

It was, because it had been badly infected by a troll, who basically dominated the whole thing for several hours. I absolutely support re-starting the thread though.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

And... just remember that this an adaptation of the manga, not a 1:1 version so where getting a mostly/partially original portrayal.

From what's been said here, it isn't meant to be an adaption at all. The anime and manga had the same designs and same basic idea, but otherwise the two creators went off in separate directions.

But I have this feeling of conection (a more deep connection), maybe something with the "transparent storm" that could lead it to the manga history line... Or I'm just in denial for the fact of having such incredible changes. If Morishima didn't intervened with the anime script/plot I guess there's no hope for that. And I can't even find raws of the manga, we can only wait and hope for the best.

ANYWAY! I don't think they literally "ate" Sumika's body, if that were the case there wouldn't be space for romance at all, cutting that from the very beggining would mean an anime full of tragedy or a forced new love and I want to believe that Morishima wouldn't allow that with her characters (even if they don't act as her characters anymore).

Ikuhara has already made it clear that the manga and the anime will not be the same. Saying they slaughtered the manga's story is unnecessarily harsh as they are both originals in their own right.

And as far as I can tell, Morishima is perfectly happy with the anime adaptation.

This comment gives me hope if is true.

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 10:10PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

lol dont take my comment seriously im way dummer than an average person if that makes you feel any better (i really fail at life and i havent left my house except 5 times in the last six months.scared of leaving my house now)

Apologies for my saltyness, but hey man no need to put yourself down
Now being a little more specific, my problem with the anime is not that i "didn't get it" but i really didn't like the direction as a whole, i really appreciate a good direction, from storyboard to pacing so i'm always looking up for those stuff when i'm watching an anime, and this one just happened to hit me in the wrong spots
Anyway i'll be taking my leave here and be back when the next manga chapter arrives, i don't want to think about this more than i should I have to hang in there... Only 3 more days to Jojo...

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

So, the anime is insane. We're basically going straight for the "I don't know what's real" part of the series, skipping the bits that set everything up that Utena and Penguindrum had

Visual style reminded me a lot of Monogatari, but Monogatari has a fairly coherent story beneath the visuals, while this has multiple layers of symbolism

I think it's enjoyable, but not really on a surface level. Also, it'd be nice if people started translating the manga again

I can totally see the Monogatari vibe to it, but this was by the people that did Utena and Penguindrum, so its going to have more of a feel for those... other folks have said it has a SHAFT feel to it.

I'm familiar with Ikuhara's other work. What I'm saying is that I think he discovered Monogatari between making Penguindrum and this. There's always been some stylistic similarities, but the SHAFT feeling is more pronounced here than in his other works

And... just remember that this an adaptation of the manga, not a 1:1 version so where getting a mostly/partially original portrayal.

Technically it's the manga that's an adaption. The idea was originally Ikuhara's

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

So, the anime is insane. We're basically going straight for the "I don't know what's real" part of the series, skipping the bits that set everything up that Utena and Penguindrum had

Visual style reminded me a lot of Monogatari, but Monogatari has a fairly coherent story beneath the visuals, while this has multiple layers of symbolism

I think it's enjoyable, but not really on a surface level. Also, it'd be nice if people started translating the manga again

I can totally see the Monogatari vibe to it, but this was by the people that did Utena and Penguindrum, so its going to have more of a feel for those... other folks have said it has a SHAFT feel to it.

I'm familiar with Ikuhara's other work. What I'm saying is that I think he discovered Monogatari between making Penguindrum and this. There's always been some stylistic similarities, but the SHAFT feeling is more pronounced here than in his other works

Technically it's the manga that's an adaption. The idea was originally Ikuhara's

But... Ikuhara worked with Morshima on the manga, and the manga was first, so... and it's not really an adaptation anyway as Nezchan points out. ^_^

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Is it safe to post? haha I'll wait for Horriblesubs or something like that...I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Very interesting to contrast the reactions here with other boards. You guys are discussing the value of the plot and the direction, other places can't get over the fact they're seeing "underaged lesbians"

God, I hate the internet sometimes.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Very interesting to contrast the reactions here with other boards. You guys are discussing the value of the plot and the direction, other places can't get over the fact they're seeing "underaged lesbians"

I'm scared to ask where you were reading lol.

Is it safe to post? haha I'll wait for Horriblesubs or something like that...I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I dunno who did the subs in the video posted on kissanime, but it was pretty evident that they had used that shitty German meme-translation as a base since they left "ich" in one sentence and missed "daijobu" in another part lol. But overall it was a pretty good translation.

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 11:12PM

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm here to read about bears, and this "yuri" stuff just doesn't sit right with me.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/grizzly-bear/
This is probably more of what you want then. ʕ^ㅅ^ʔ

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm here to read about bears, and this "yuri" stuff just doesn't sit right with me.

Cripes, let somebody know when you're linking to the hardcore ursine stuff, k?

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

Loool, your sense of humour is neat!

joined Jul 2, 2013

This person's icon delivers. Can we hand them a medal?

Funimation has also announced that the first episode of YKA will be released on Wednesday and the following episodes will be simulcast 3 hours after the Japanese airtime.

last edited at Jan 5, 2015 11:59PM

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

^ you say it gives us our hero.............not really, we don't really know anything about our main character at all, even the manga did a better job with that, everyone just feels so 2d our heroine got the worst part because sumika stole her manga personality so now we have a 1d hero, some 2d bears and a school that is so SHAFT im surprised the school itself isn't head tilting.

Plus the opening seems to imply the girl will have glorious OT3 with the bears.........no just no.
why? THEY ATE HER FUCKING GIRLFRIEND

I don't know why, but I think the lady Kaichou is a psycho, so maybe we should wait before saying the bears killed that gf. Surely it will turn out to be a simple misunderstanding like they were eating that girl's bento..and not her flesh, lol

last edited at Jan 6, 2015 12:15AM

Roomie
joined Mar 9, 2014

Wow such a monogatari hate, I will never understand x)
Well , I can at least understand why the fast random dialogue (and the toothbrush scene) can be disliked by some.
Personnaly I love the monogatari series, it's completely different from from Yuri Kuma. The randomness is in the dialogue for the monogatari series (at least the plot is understandable) not everywhere like Yuri Kuma

For the main character and her girlfriend, I hope we don't see the girlfriend until a long time, they make such a boring couple x)

last edited at Jan 6, 2015 3:42AM

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

For the main character and her girlfriend, I hope we don't see the girlfriend until a long time, they make such a boring couple x)

the girlfriend literally just seems to be her manga personality so...........yeah.

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

I shall Maki Maki you all 0____0
like haruka onee-sama always tells me "protect the strong and defeat the weak"

Icon-2
joined Sep 24, 2013

^ you say it gives us our hero.............not really, we don't really know anything about our main character at all, even the manga did a better job with that, everyone just feels so 2d our heroine got the worst part because sumika stole her manga personality so now we have a 1d hero, some 2d bears and a school that is so SHAFT im surprised the school itself isn't head tilting.

Plus the opening seems to imply the girl will have glorious OT3 with the bears.........no just no.

I don't know why, but I think the lady Kaichou is a psycho, so maybe we should wait before saying the bears killed that gf. Surely it will turn out to be a simple misunderstanding like they were eating that girl's bento..and not her flesh, lol

I agree, I've a hunch that Yurizono (the kaichou) is the real culprit - she interferes too much to be natural, and so might be harbouring certain Intentions towards Kureha. If she did, it would make complete sense for her to get rid of the girlfriend - and remember she was the one who called her out there in the first place. That makes her a highly likely suspect in my book.

the girlfriend literally just seems to be her manga personality so...........yeah.

No idea what is meant by this, IMO they are very different - in the manga Kureha is timid and very shy, careful to stay unnoticed, while the girlfriend, though also seemingly shy, is quite forward with her feelings to the point of being overbearing.

Definitely in the camp that is liking what I see so far. It's very different from the manga, but I never expected otherwise, and unlike Rosenakahara do not think that the symbolism is empty fanservice. The idea of "eating", for example, intrigues me - yes, it probably is a metaphor for sex, at least in Kureha's case, but as sisya pointed out, there really does seem to be a literal devouring of a human at the end of the episode. The fact that they talking about eating as bears gives it a certain weight and associations with death and violence which mere titillation should not have. Anyway, I'm sure a more coherent story will eventually unfold, the reason why we're this confused now is probably because Ikuhara doesn't have time to mess around since it's only a one-cour series.

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

Oh and at 0:37 Kureha and ginka could be childhood friends? maybe

and why don't I have a life

last edited at Jan 6, 2015 8:01AM

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

I agree, I've a hunch that Yurizono (the kaichou) is the real culprit - she interferes too much to be natural, and so might be harbouring certain Intentions towards Kureha. If she did, it would make complete sense for her to get rid of the girlfriend - and remember she was the one who called her out there in the first place. That makes her a highly likely suspect in my book.

No idea what is meant by this, IMO they are very different - in the manga Kureha is timid and very shy, careful to stay unnoticed, while the girlfriend, though also seemingly shy, is quite forward with her feelings to the point of being overbearing.

Definitely in the camp that is liking what I see so far. It's very different from the manga, but I never expected otherwise, and unlike Rosenakahara do not think that the symbolism is empty fanservice. The idea of "eating", for example, intrigues me - yes, it probably is a metaphor for sex, at least in Kureha's case, but as sisya pointed out, there really does seem to be a literal devouring of a human at the end of the episode. The fact that they talking about eating as bears gives it a certain weight and associations with death and violence which mere titillation should not have. Anyway, I'm sure a more coherent story will eventually unfold, the reason why we're this confused now is probably because Ikuhara doesn't have time to mess around since it's only a one-cour series.

^Happy to find somebody having a similar point of view. I feel suddenly less... insane {oh! God X} especially as far as the Kaichou is concerned. I think she cut the flowers to have a reason to approach the pair, and as the OP shows it, she as an accomplice who maybe threw the brick. Based on her uniform in the OP,I would say psycho number 2 will become Hakonaka Yurika Yuri.
It actually make sense that the gf disappears, even in the OP she is almost inexistent.

The fact that they talking about eating as bears gives it a certain weight and associations with death and violence..
Agree!

About manga vs anime.
Why looking for connections and their constraints? What I find fabulous with anime and manga is the possibility to make characters exist in multiple parallel universes at the same time; with official plot and variations of stand alone doujins, for example. We simply have to pick the one that suits us the best.
Morishima sensei is the character designer in this anime, if I am right. Then she will easily feed us with canon doujin, letting us see her own interpretation of those girls' story.
Or, we can choose to see the anime as the doujin, and consider that the manga is the original story.
So much freedom to enjoy!

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Haven't watched yet but the one question that truly matter to me is as follow : is this going to be yuri as expected or the fears coming true and it's going to be het ? :/

Yurifaceapproved3%20copy
joined Sep 10, 2014

Haven't watched yet but the one question that truly matter to me is as follow : is this going to be yuri as expected or the fears coming true and it's going to be het ? :/

Yuri fest, yuri MAX, yuri yuri yuri yuri yuri....

Images_(2)
joined Feb 10, 2013

,first impression: -weird bears- but I am dying here in curiosity and I'm confused. But I'm sure the kaichou did that to Sumika because she's inlove to Kureha, confusing but still I'll keep on watching this because this is YURI, a rare anime that can't be found so easily than yaoi. But I smell yaoi to this BAKA TRIO (the 3 boys life sexy, cool & beauty) that made my eyes hurt, the hell with that poses??..(>.>)?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

,first impression: -weird bears- but I am dying here in curiosity and I'm confused. But I'm sure the kaichou did that to Sumika because she's inlove to Kureha, confusing but still I'll keep on watching this because this is YURI, a rare anime that can't be found so easily than yaoi. But I smell yaoi to this BAKA TRIO (the 3 boys life sexy, cool & beauty) that made my eyes hurt, the hell with that poses??..(>.>)?

Idk about Kaichou, I mean, someone threw a brick at them! not sure if those were the bears... Still as you said, is confusing, many important pieces are missing.

last edited at Jan 6, 2015 11:34AM

joined Jul 2, 2013

But I smell yaoi to this BAKA TRIO (the 3 boys life sexy, cool & beauty) that made my eyes hurt, the hell with that poses??..(>.>)?

You just weren't SEXY enough to appreciate the fabulous max Love trio.

To reply you must either login or sign up.