Forum › Soara and the House of Monsters discussion

Screenshot%202020-08-05%20at%209.30.03%20pm
joined Nov 21, 2019

I can't help but feel sorry for Soara. She spent her whole life training to be a monster slayer only to be relieved of her duties before they could even begin. To make matters worse, she's an orphan and thus doesn't have a home.

last edited at Dec 1, 2021 11:31AM

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Cool

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

So... Xtreme Makeover, Monster edition?

I'M IN!!

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

"Name's Xibit, and this is PIMP MY HOUSE"

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

A tree which glows when it absorbs water doesn't sound very practical. How do you turn it off?

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

Reminds me a little of Dungeon Meshi. Looks like it could be fun.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I dont dig the concept, especially not after that beginning

Where did my gridy orphan rhonin story go?

joined Jun 11, 2016

the concept is interesting, I really love the house designs. Will definitely stick around for this one.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

More,MORE DIAGRAMS!

That's what I need more of.

And this feels like it was perfectly designed for the kiddos.

Jahy-sama%20(11)
joined Jul 5, 2017

It is an interesting concept, especially the house design, although unrealistic it is somewhat practical.

A tree which glows when it absorbs water doesn't sound very practical. How do you turn it off?

You don't. But the goblins don't need any light only while sleeping. The bedroom floor is closed off from any light, seen in the design.

joined Aug 21, 2017

This seems fun so far. Looking forward to seeing all the home designs!

joined Jun 5, 2018

The king saying 'youre free of your duties' is him saying 'im free of paying military expenses'. What a dick. Well, either way, I hope this will be Soara travelling along with the dwarfes and making new homes. I just wish there was less 'pulling things out of your arse' and more 'constructing something well'.

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

The king saying 'youre free of your duties' is him saying 'im free of paying military expenses'. What a dick. Well, either way, I hope this will be Soara travelling along with the dwarfes and making new homes. I just wish there was less 'pulling things out of your arse' and more 'constructing something well'.

I, too, felt a bit too much "this just happened" ass-pullery. Where did this 3000 year old tree come from? Why is the building round when the foundation and support structure was shown to be square?

It could be an interesting and fun story concept to follow up on, but already this has surpassed believability in just the first chapter alone.

Da%20comrade%20bronya%20crop%20-%20copy
joined Sep 8, 2018

I can't help but feel sorry for Soara. She spent her whole life training to be a monster slayer only to be relieved of her duties before they could even begin. To make matters worse, she's an orphan and thus doesn't have a home.

You mean she got relieved off duty before her life could become terrible worse due to a war. Her whole previous life was tough and hard, but now she's got a chance to become happy.

And I must say, this manga seems to have great potential. I'm totally digging it!

last edited at Dec 20, 2021 2:49PM

joined Jun 11, 2016

Note to self: stop reading other people's comments on Dynasty scans, it's depressing.

Anw, loving this series so far!! I wonder will they ever get to build a home for slime?

joined Jun 5, 2018

Well, Ill give this one more building and see what the author does. Because apparently the great 3000 year old magical tree does not have any roots.

joined Oct 2, 2021

Note to self: stop reading other people's comments on Dynasty scans, it's depressing.

Anw, loving this series so far!! I wonder will they ever get to build a home for slime?

Agreed.

Jewish dwarf architect saving the world from war and destruction one monster house makeover at a time.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Yeah I honestly didn't expect people to be so down on this series, but ah well. For me I'm having fun with this whimsical fantasy world with monster house construction. I'm definitely looking forward to more!

Edit: Also I like the setup of her being lead to believe her whole life that monsters are bad, and that life is hard, cold, miserable. Then she sets out to see the world for herself and learns that monsters aren't what she was brainwashed to believe, that life can be much more fun and happy than she expected. It's a good contrast in my eyes.

last edited at Dec 20, 2021 7:13PM

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The whole point of a healing story is to have warm and light hearted moments to overcome the pain of the past.

And if that comes in the form of literally causing volcanoes to erupt for the sake of steam heated flooring,SO BE IT.

May they have many adventures,and many,many,many more diagrams.

joined Aug 21, 2017

New favored trope: person lives their life strongly believing in something, and one day finds that everybody else no longer believes in it. See: Soara wanting to kill monsters vs. everybody else not caring.

joined Jul 22, 2014

Love the artstyle, will be an interesting concept to read.

20230113_090020
joined Nov 25, 2018

New favored trope: person lives their life strongly believing in something, and one day finds that everybody else no longer believes in it. See: Soara wanting to kill monsters vs. everybody else not caring.

See also: science and bloody 50% of the population

joined Aug 29, 2019

It's more than just her wanting to kill. She's been indoctrinated to actually fear nonhumans. (Let's just quote Yoda: Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.) It should take a while to chip away at that, especially since, at some point in the past, the fear didn't used to be paranoia, but warranted.

Just the art would be enough to keep me coming back, tbh.

Just... don't direct magma to a cave right underneath a major underground water source. It's a bad idea. The barrier between the two will eventually break and then, boom, the goblins are sitting on an exploding steam mine.

Also, shouldn't it be "lava" once it's on the surface and "magma" while it's underground? Totally being nitpicky here, because while technically correct, it might be a bit odd to read two different words in the dialogue at different points, referring to technically the same thing.

last edited at Dec 21, 2021 11:47AM

joined Aug 29, 2019

welease.wodger posted:

Jewish dwarf architect

Where the hell you got Jewish part from?

Now that I look at it, I think they might have mistaken the Krik's brooch for a star of david. Doesn't look quite right to me, but what do I know.

last edited at Dec 21, 2021 6:00PM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Is this a thinly veiled attempt at bringing DIY culture to Japan?

Anyways wont that lava pit just turn to obsidian? The Vulcano isnt perpetually errupting

I dont even see how Soara fits into this story, clearly its just about the little dwarf and the wacky house designs, what is Soaras purpose Other Than being a voyeur?

To reply you must either login or sign up.