Forum › Nightingale and the Rose discussion

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Oh god not the age regression curses

joined Jul 6, 2020

Okay, this is really interesting.

So, Bai Xinxin was a streamer who got transmigrated into this game world, and was trying to save Lan Sha (alongside herself) from the myriad of tragic endings, but Lan Sha is being controlled by an outside person in the “real world”, who just so happens to look exactly like Lan Sha.

So this isn’t a world based on the game, she’s literally trapped inside the videogame, and she’s trying to romance the player insert character who is controlled by the outside person… This is gonna be complicated.

Idk how romance would work when one person is viewing it through a computer screen, maybe there will be more of a two way path in the future, like the player gets transported into Lan Sha’s body?

Me_avatar_smaller
joined Aug 4, 2018

This is going really interesting tbh. :eyes: And I can agree on like, being hidden by 'evil' witch is better than manipulated by men :^)

joined Jan 3, 2020

I was totally confused this whole chapter, but there's Yuri.

271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

her game is similar to a game i used to play, "without a voice"

joined Jun 11, 2016

see, here's the thing I dislike about Chinese manhua: the logic progression of the story is just, ehhh at times. It's like they expected the readers to understand the information all of the sudden but without in-depth explanation. It's kinda like info-dumping but not. I suspect it's something to do with all the random jumping between scenes, it just feels so abrupt.
Well, luckily this story is still more coherent than plenty other manhua I've read, so it's fine.

Anw, if the blue-haired girl is just an avatar for the player in the real world, then what's with the memory of the past in ch11? Did she play as the blue-haired girl all the way from her childhood?

joined Jul 6, 2020

Anw, if the blue-haired girl is just an avatar for the player in the real world, then what's with the memory of the past in ch11? Did she play as the blue-haired girl all the way from her childhood?

Pretty sure that scene was an in game cut scene of the "past"

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So, Bai Xinxin was a streamer who got transmigrated into this game world, and was trying to save Lan Sha (alongside herself) from the myriad of tragic endings, but Lan Sha is being controlled by an outside person in the “real world”, who just so happens to look exactly like Lan Sha.

So this isn’t a world based on the game, she’s literally trapped inside the videogame, and she’s trying to romance the player insert character who is controlled by the outside person… This is gonna be complicated.

What fascinates me more is that there are apparently two versions of the same game in the "real" world, one where you play the princess (which Bai played) and one where you play the witch (which Glasses plays right now), but neither player was aware of the respective other version prior to this chapter.

see, here's the thing I dislike about Chinese manhua: the logic progression of the story is just, ehhh at times. It's like they expected the readers to understand the information all of the sudden but without in-depth explanation. It's kinda like info-dumping but not. I suspect it's something to do with all the random jumping between scenes, it just feels so abrupt.

Honestly, I prefer that to the exposition dumps found in 95% of fantasy mangas that feel compelled to explain the the whole setting, history, and magic system on the first page of the first chapter. That said, this comic is way too disjointed for my tastes, as rather than piecing together just one thing (setting, plot, or characterization), it forces me to juggle all three at the same time.

joined Jul 6, 2020

Okay easy peasy just sacrifice ur own soul haha

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

The concept for this manhua is great, but I'm a little disappointed that it's so light-hearted in tone most of the time despite the characters constantly facing mortal danger. I hope their situation ramps up and gets more dramatic eventually.

joined Aug 8, 2020

Frankly I hope this age regression plot point moves on quickly.

joined Jun 11, 2016

Honestly, I prefer that to the exposition dumps found in 95% of fantasy mangas that feel compelled to explain the the whole setting, history, and magic system on the first page of the first chapter. That said, this comic is way too disjointed for my tastes, as rather than piecing together just one thing (setting, plot, or characterization), it forces me to juggle all three at the same time.

You need to find better stories to read, because I have not seen many manga that explain everything on the first chapter. Sure, some manga have info dump right at the start, but they don't explain any and everything. Most just explained the setting, the history of the MC and some general background story. After that, anything new (characters, settings) will be slowly explained when they pop up. It's like standard-storytelling 101.

Also, just saying but I find that 90% manhua disjointed, which is very strange and disappointing. Thanks to my years of reading Chinese novels, I understand all the "system" thing that is very prevalent in Chinese stories, understand plenty of Chinese internet slangs and even can predict the tropes of the story. BUT I still can't stomach the weird transition between arcs/scenes of manhua, they're all so jarring and out of place.

joined Jul 6, 2020

So she used her soul to save her and then ended up dying? Is the game gonna restart?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So she used her soul to save her and then ended up dying? Is the game gonna restart?

It doesn't look like it: when the player character dies for reals, the game is usually over on the spot, but in this chapter, the princess is dealing with its aftermath, so the plot goes on. This makes me think that Lan Sha is at least not dead yet.

The last page really confuses me, though. The other girl comes into the bathroom calling for Lan Sha, but sees her supposedly dead body and freaks out because "witch". Does anyone have a good guess to explain this leap of judgment?

last edited at Nov 25, 2021 2:10AM

LunaaSnow Uploader
Zephyr Scans
joined Oct 7, 2021

The last page really confuses me, though. The other girl comes into the bathroom calling for Lan Sha, but sees her supposedly dead body and freaks out because "witch". Does anyone have a good guess to explain this leap of judgment?

You know when magical girls cast spells, there's bound to be sparkling effects of some sort? Lan Sha's one are butterflies! You can see them surrounding her "dead" body and in the last panel. (As well as when Lan Sha uses forbidden magic and dies for Bai yueguang back in the very first chapter)

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

You know when magical girls cast spells, there's bound to be sparkling effects of some sort? Lan Sha's one are butterflies! You can see them surrounding her "dead" body and in the last panel. (As well as when Lan Sha uses forbidden magic and dies for Bai yueguang back in the very first chapter)

Huh, I thought the butterflies were just a special effect for extra drama, not something actually visible to NPCs. :-/

joined Jul 6, 2020

So how is this outside player character gonna fit into this?

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

I am SO confused. I thought she was still suffering from the age regression curse! Did I miss something between the last chapter and this one?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I am SO confused. I thought she was still suffering from the age regression curse! Did I miss something between the last chapter and this one?

It appears that in chapter 14, Lan Sha sacrifices her life to lift the princess' curse, so she goes on to break up with the prince in chapter 15, then weird timeline stuff happens (implied to be a fever dream of Lan Sha's player), and the whole story is reset, with the princess and the prince engaged again, and Lan Sha reveals herself as a witch to kill the guards sent to capture the princess, then giving her life to reset the timeline once more (then the player wakes up, meaning this "route" is just involuntary fanfiction).

EDIT: This story is a mess, like it's written by someone who has neither read enough good novels to learn story structure and pacing from example, nor ever looked up the most fundamental basics of outlining.

last edited at Dec 6, 2021 2:05PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I feel like the author is just sort of doing semi-random emotive scenes with the characters and then making half a stab at fitting it into the plotline after.

Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

It appears that in chapter 14, Lan Sha sacrifices her life to lift the princess' curse, so she goes on to break up with the prince in chapter 15, then weird timeline stuff happens (implied to be a fever dream of Lan Sha's player), and the whole story is reset, with the princess and the prince engaged again, and Lan Sha reveals herself as a witch to kill the guards sent to capture the princess, then giving her life to reset the timeline once more (then the player wakes up, meaning this "route" is just involuntary fanfiction).

EDIT: This story is a mess, like it's written by someone who has neither read enough good novels to learn story structure and pacing from example, nor ever looked up the most fundamental basics of outlining.

Agreed. The overall story is solid, and the characters memorable, but the pacing is more splintered than someone with three casts in the hospital. This needs a SERIOUS revision for better flow...

joined Feb 18, 2015

When you think about it, Bai Xinxin agreed to risk her life to save Lan Sha, so it makes sense that the story would reset after she failed to save her this time around.

joined Jul 6, 2020

I don’t think the game reset.

…and it seems we are out of the frying pan and into the fire

Feather
joined Feb 4, 2017

That prince is going to give me an anger-induced stroke. Haaaaaaah.

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

I don't understand the hatred towards Bai Yueguang

To reply you must either login or sign up.