Forum › Ise-san and Shima-san discussion

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

AHH.

My favorite running anti-angst manga has been completed. Now nothing will save me from the depressing as fuck depths of The Ends of a Dream and potentially My Sister’s Best Friend, My Lover.

This open ending is almost as disappointing as it is satisfying. Keyword is almost because I fucking love this series. First off, I wish this could’ve gone on for at least 7 more chapters. These two are so relaxing, healing, touching, and all that jazz. Hopefully someone else can put why their dynamic works so well more eloquently, but all I can say is that these two truly love each other and it shows. And that’s why I’m wicked bummed they didn’t end up explicitly dating, especially considering Shima’s sexuality was an (under- IMO) explored point in their relationship. But Ise-Shima are such an endearing couple and charming characters on their own that just knowing these two will be together is enough. Also, chapter 21 really pushes the boundaries of subtext.

I love-hate-love their undefined platonic soulmate relationship and had there been a kiss, this series would’ve been one of my all time favorites (it’s still up there). At least they did the deed and held hands (INTERLACING FINGERS NO LESS).

Regardless of my own feelings, I hope I can say the same for everyone that Ise-Shima was an enjoyable read from start to finish and I want to see more of Tokuwotsumu. Maybe their some of their Twitter work...? They’ve truly created something special.

joined Jul 26, 2016

That was some tremendously gay s u b t e x t

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

After all of this I have a really strong suspicion that this isn't yuri only because the magazine didn't want it or something of the sort :P The author enjoyed this too much to leave it at subtext of their own will. Even the afterword considers the possibility of their relationship changing (which in effect wouldn't change anything)...

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 5:27AM

joined Aug 17, 2021

Honestly I love that Ise and shima isn’t yuri. We live in a world where dating is the highest thing a person can be to you, where the status of single is supposed to be lonely and often times once someone starts dating they distance themselves from those around them who aren’t “number one”. Not to mention these relationships can stem from pining and romance but fall apart when it is realized that they don’t share interests, don’t like doing life things together or just don’t work well together . Ise and shima reminds me of an article I discovered while researching relationship anarchism : the idea that we only have to be to each other what we both want to be, society be damned. The article talked about two women who were platonic wives, they cooked cleaned and lived together but their sexualities didn’t match. To me this is even more beautiful than finding “the one” it’s finding “the many” building all sorts of lives with all sorts of people. So thank you tokuwo tsumu sensei for making something that transcends even yuri. So sad it’s over, maybe I’ll make my own ise and shima doujin

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Page 27 onwards is beyond the realm of subtext to me

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

I kinda didnt reeeeally like the end at first but tbh, I think thats more me then the manga.

It feels a bit like it was a deus ex machina ending, but it makes sense for them both to be transfered together as they are kinnda famous in their workplace.

I wonder if they would marry if the story was set in germany, as it saves a lot of taxes. I mean, they already plan on living together for a long time and basicly proposed to each other (even though it was a goodbye)

Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

i loved this

edit to keep it in one post:

i love that it works as like, two people falling in love but they decided not to depict the kissing and romance and keep it vague? and it also works as like. a lesbian and her aromantic life partner? first time i've personally seen a subtext yuri really connect with me like that. discovering shima's identity partway thru and knowing that ise has known all along, that part just makes it all feel a lot more deliberate? somehow. almost like it's not "the subtext is they're lesbians" anymore, it's "the text is one of them is a lesbian and the other is undeclared"

maybe ise-san just needs a couple decades to work out her relationship to romance anyway? she's stated the desire to get a boyfriend before but almost in the manner of like, someone trying to check off "adult life" milestones. it's not like shima-san is bringin girls home either tho, they both seem to be getting lots out of the domestic bliss on its own

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 7:50AM

Bigj
joined Jul 7, 2021

I much prefer this ending but I bet there's some guys out ther who are mad it didn't end with them romantically dating.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

GGGGGAYYYYYYY

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

That was some homosexual behaviour right there, nodding my head right now.

Mahiru
joined Aug 28, 2016

I really liked this ending. Even though I still feel they're totally each other's soulmates, they have such a perfect relationship and it doesn't feel like it needs a label, or to be made "official".

Still... I'm sad that one of my favorite mangas for the longest time is all over :(

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 7:21AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Had Ise and Shima been forced to split up by Ise's promotion, their higher-ups would have been tried at the Hague.

But it was good while it last, folks.

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 7:32AM

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Ise and shima reminds me of an article I discovered while researching relationship anarchism : the idea that we only have to be to each other what we both want to be, society be damned. The article talked about two women who were platonic wives, they cooked cleaned and lived together but their sexualities didn’t match. To me this is even more beautiful than finding “the one” it’s finding “the many” building all sorts of lives with all sorts of people. So thank you tokuwo tsumu sensei for making something that transcends even yuri.

While I don't necessarily mind that they didn't put a label on it, ... lack of one is almost what separated them in this chapter :P The label clearly mattered to them enough that Shima was fully ready to accept the separation ("we're not family, we're not dating, I have no right to stop you"), and this was only saved by the benevolent author.

I suppose I didn't say the most important thing - despite all that, I really liked the story, and I wish there was more of it.

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 7:47AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

While I don't necessarily mind that they didn't put a label on it, ... lack of one is almost what separated them in this chapter :P The label clearly mattered to them enough that Shima was fully ready to accept the separation ("we're not family, we're not dating, I have no right to stop you"), and this was only saved by the benevolent author.

I'm beginning to think that some mangaka have made a bet about "who can make the gayest series that still only gets labeled 'subtext?,'" and this one has now pulled ahead of A Room For Two.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

I'm beginning to think that some mangaka have made a bet about "who can make the gayest series that still only gets labeled 'subtext?,'" and this one has now pulled ahead of A Room For Two.

Didn't they kiss in ARF2? More than once?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I cried, alright? Oh I cried ! not even a kiss and yet one of the most pure and beautiful pairings out there... but of course they needed that one last push to make it together.

Thank you for working on this project, I enjoyed it a lot (in silent for a while) I loved Ise chin the most with her silly cat faces and honest remarks.

I'm 1000% sure that the boss ships them too and knew they wouldn't be able to work separated.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yes, but not in such a way as to satisfy the rigorous and unforgiving criteria of the Official Yuri Police. The other series pairs a dog and a cool cat; this is a pair of frolicking and adoring puppies.

joined May 23, 2021

Oh, this is 100% wlw, but I can see the issues with tagging it. I think there's a good argument for the subtext tag (especially to avoid spoilers, I guess) but I disagree. I can't see this series as anything other than a story about how two women reconnect and fall in love over the course of 21 chapters.

Anyway, while I don't love the ending, I still find it much more satisfying one than any of the dozens that end with the two leads finally asking each other out and having a big kiss and then running off into the horizon.

joined Sep 1, 2021

for anyone looking for more the authors twitter and pixiv are jam packed with small comics and tons of art of the two. obvs untranslated for now but who knows!

I really loved it overall and surprisingly didn't mind not having any official labels or anything. the two obviously care for each other probably more than they care for themselves and that's more than enough.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

synthubus posted:

for anyone looking for more the authors twitter and pixiv are jam packed with small comics and tons of art of the two. obvs untranslated for now but who knows!

I really loved it overall and surprisingly didn't mind not having any official labels or anything. the two obviously care for each other probably more than they care for themselves and that's more than enough.

Jesus you're right, we could fill like 3 or 5 more chapters more with all the extras in pixiv + the super nice colored illustrations

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Yes, but not in such a way as to satisfy the rigorous and unforgiving criteria of the Official Yuri Police. The other series pairs a dog and a cool cat; this is a pair of frolicking and adoring puppies.

Funny you say that https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304334596684906508/878860275799965698/SPOILER_kiss.png

Imageedit_11_5472942776
joined Apr 30, 2018

aaaaaaa i didn't know it was the last chapter but i'm totally fine with the ending

joined Jul 26, 2016

aaaaaaa i didn't know it was the last chapter but i'm totally fine with the ending

Oh my God they were roommates! :O

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

How long until they finally just realize they're already dating?

To reply you must either login or sign up.