Forum › A O̶n̶c̶e̶- T̶w̶i̶c̶e̶- Many Times-in-a-Lifetime Encounter discussion

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

Well, seems like I wasn't the only one to think the mc was a dude

Screenshot_726
joined Dec 2, 2017

I liked a lot, but the fact the tag says yuri but i realize it wasn't a guy unitl the very end was kinda unconfortable

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Damn,that was the manliest lady I have ever seen,the damn skirt for the school uniform only looked like a kilt to me.

At least she finally got to speak her mind.

F7e7c9f162ec42798aef981ac8f87a64
joined Sep 23, 2017

You see the black rabbit one far away from the girl? Yep that's me

Hqdefault
joined Sep 13, 2020

Can't help but feel like the MC's a dude

Kinda dislike it. If you want to draw a het story, just do it nobody gonna stop you. Don't draw a dude wearing skirt and call it yuri

joined Sep 6, 2020

Dig the magical realism

Is it magical realism or just money laundering? She might be yakuza for all we know

Well if there ever will be a sequel and won't be about this I'll be severely disappointed.

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

is there a reason why lighthaired girl keeps closing and reopening? maybe shes a person who died there and her spirit frequents the place?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Cute.

Future Hokagae
Images%20(31)
joined Sep 25, 2020

Hehe

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Can't help but feel like the MC's a dude

Kinda dislike it. If you want to draw a het story, just do it nobody gonna stop you. Don't draw a dude wearing skirt and call it yuri

ah the gender police is here

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

I thought the main character was a dude for the longest time, until the page where she said she hates wearing heel.

SAME

joined Aug 29, 2019

is there a reason why lighthaired girl keeps closing and reopening? maybe shes a person who died there and her spirit frequents the place?

That's basically just a bit more of a morbid take on the manga's own theory that she might be a Zashiki-Warashi, which would roughly be a home's/house's guardian spirit.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

in a shocking unforeseen twist, yuri manga readers are stricken with confusion by the idea of a woman with really short hair

No- it is that combined with wearing a suit and an adroygynous face. You cant claim in the first few pages she doesnt 100% look like a guy.

I assumed she wasnt given the tag but thats it- (till we see the skirt).

last edited at Aug 13, 2021 10:49AM

Ba6830e9-5391-43ab-838d-9b1794f709e7
joined Jul 8, 2013

Love short hair like that, even androgynous types, but this artist drew a dude. I mean, that last color panel, the broad shoulders and no hips at all. The shirts drawn to hide hints of chest with the leaned over pose, and the arm is positioned to hide any possible curves. Definitely fucking with the reader.

last edited at Aug 13, 2021 11:09AM

joined Jul 8, 2013

in a shocking unforeseen twist, yuri manga readers are stricken with confusion by the idea of a woman with really short hair

As opposed to labeling someone as a woman when the only identifying trait being presented is the wearing of a skirt? Nice try there.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Tehyar posted:

As opposed to labeling someone as a woman when the only identifying trait being presented is the wearing of a skirt? Nice try there.

Eh, she's drawn inconsistently, but you can clearly the see bump of her form on page 1, the skirt on page 3, a stereotypically "cute" blushing panel on page 3, her heels on page 8 along with the next line...Anyone reaching the end of this story convinced she's not a woman wasn't paying very careful attention.

Also, it's kind of boring when almost every comment is "Omg she really is a woman!" Like yeah, some people are naturally androgynous or adopt that look for their own reasons. Depending on region and generation, it's not remotely unusual to encounter them in your everyday life. In yuri of all places, I'd think we'd have been through enough "tomboy who isn't comfortable looking femme" storylines to not jump to conclusions that readily contradict available evidence. No wonder some younger women with those preferences feel so self-conscious, my goodness.

last edited at Aug 13, 2021 11:47AM

joined Jul 8, 2013

Wow, you managed to turn it into a what’s wrong with society political diatribe. I’m filled with regret.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Eh, if that's really your takeaway then my apologies, wasn't intended as such.

Edit: Though maybe this just demonstrates me being totally out of touch, as I'm slightly disturbed that a woman's personal presentation preferences would be construed as political in 2021.

last edited at Aug 13, 2021 12:09PM

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

God forbid that a mangaka include a depiction of an actual lesbian in a yuri story. Maybe this could have been avoided with the Non-moe Art tag.

joined Jul 8, 2013

Eh, if that's really your takeaway then my apologies, wasn't intended as such.

Edit: Though maybe this just demonstrates me being totally out of touch, as I'm slightly disturbed that a woman's personal presentation preferences would be construed as political in 2021.

Alrighty, I'll leave the word politics out of it.

Anyone reading this will automatically know she's a female because of the clothing. Why? Because Japan. My reply to the OP in that post was to provide a counterpoint to call them out on how pointlessly condescending they were being.

The cues you mention were still subtle and not necessarily telling - more clothing, and dudes can blush too. Yet you ignore the major male cues and reach the conclusion that she can only be female. Again, I agree she's female because Japan + clothes, but that's the only reason. They're still drawn very male in most other ways.

Then you go on to make a bunch of really condescending remarks about real people and their choices, concluding that this conversation is somehow oppressing the freedom of young females.

I made it clear in my first post that I have a thing for short haired androgynous females. I always have. This includes real life. I'm usually pretty easy going, but your sanctimonious one-sided accusations pissed me off. You're staff, and this is your place. If it will improve the quality of your world you can delete me.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Eh, she has a very androgynous design in a medium that relies entirely on visual cues that specifically have to be chosen and presented by the artist. It's an easy mistake to make at first if you're not looking too closely while you read.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

What the hell, people. I also thought she was a guy at first, but the proper reaction to discovering she's not isn't "ew what the hell why is she drawn like a MAN" it's "oh, I guess I was wrong."

Some ladies are pretty masculine, by birth or choice, and that's OK.

OrangePekoe Admin
joined Mar 20, 2013

Tehyar posted:

Anyone reading this will automatically know she's a female because of the clothing. Why? Because Japan. My reply to the OP in that post was to provide a counterpoint to call them out on how pointlessly condescending they were being.

Sorry, I don't really follow your reasoning there. However, I'll grant that person was being rude and have no issues with your reply to them. My response was perhaps less to you and more a general read of the thread, but I did quote you so to take offense is fair.

The cues you mention were still subtle and not necessarily telling - more clothing, and dudes can blush too. Yet you ignore the major male cues and reach the conclusion that she can only be female.

No, I didn't say that. The use of a negative is admittedly confusing, but I only took issue with those who are "convinced she is not a woman." One could be unsure of her gender and my statement would have nothing to do with them, I was pretty much in this uncertain camp till the end because I wasn't sure where the story was headed.

Then you go on to make a bunch of really condescending remarks about real people and their choices, concluding that this conversation is somehow oppressing the freedom of young females.

Apologies for the condescension, but I really don't mean to imply that anyone is being "oppressed" by forum comments. I imagine some comments here could make someone feel bad about themselves. That's it. I sought to add some context (both real and fictional, including in this story) to the conversation because I saw very little of it otherwise, and reading the same thing over and over isn't very fun. Doing it as aggressively as I did surely undercut that effort though, so it was stupid of me to do that.

If it will improve the quality of your world you can delete me.

Nah, I appreciate the discussion. Sorry that I don't have anything more interesting to say really, I understand why you reacted the way you did. Hopefully it's clear why I did too. Cheers.

last edited at Aug 13, 2021 1:29PM

Huh
joined Dec 16, 2020

What the hell, people. I also thought she was a guy at first, but the proper reaction to discovering she's not isn't "ew what the hell why is she drawn like a MAN" it's "oh, I guess I was wrong."

Some ladies are pretty masculine, by birth or choice, and that's OK.

This, it's honestly just the artstyle. It's simplified and sketchy and since she was drawn in a looser blazer waist up in the first two pages, her sex was ambiguous. I wouldn't go as far as saying this artist has a "this person draws yaoi all the time and can't draw two girls without it looking like two dudes" problem though.

last edited at Aug 13, 2021 1:32PM

Esha%20icon
joined Mar 31, 2018

Have you guys really never met a butch woman before? I feel like I'm being pranked...

Anyway, can't wait to see the explanation for the constant foreclosure (though odd taste seems to be the primary cause).

To reply you must either login or sign up.