Forum › Posts by Nerrin

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Well this was a pretty good chapter as long as we ignore Ciel's backstory. That thing was just made no sense. There was no mention of hiding the twins away for the first ten years of their lives so everyone would know that Ciel was a girl and that Leo was the firstborn.

It's not really common, to my knowledge, but historically there have been times and places where it wasn't unusual to dress little kids the same way regardless of sex. Assuming royal children weren't seen regularly in public when so young, their parents could probably then obfuscate the matter when it happened. It's still a big stretch, but I wouldn't call it impossible.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Knight Heron's notes on the location of this story are a huge cherry on top of their translation work. I'm greatly enjoying this is developing but fear that Takamine's friends are going to throw a wrench into her relationship w/ Sakura.

Throw a wrench but also move it along, I'm willing to bet. Inducting Sakura into the friend group will give her and Takamine more excuses to spend time together and figure out their feelings, but also unintentionally ruin the moment a few times as friends do.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Two single characters, barely any interaction, but that interaction consists of them calling each other cute and one immediately deciding to change everything around to spend more time with the other. LET'S GO.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

can i ship the vtuber and also ship the two childhoodfrens? dunno how it would work tho.

Throuples are valid

Taiga has two hands ;3

But only one heart to give

Always left with a full heart no matter how many people as long as it's being mutually exchanged.

Nerrin
Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Why does Keqing look so sinister at the bottom of pg1?

Answering this rather late, but they have a politely professional but tense relationship because Ganyu strongly reveres the god Rex Lapis while Keqing very vocally criticizes how so much of society is beholden to the gods and other powers. So basically it's Ganyu's perception, fearing that Keqing is about to start something.

last edited at Mar 7, 2022 2:08PM

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Eh, she has a very androgynous design in a medium that relies entirely on visual cues that specifically have to be chosen and presented by the artist. It's an easy mistake to make at first if you're not looking too closely while you read.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

What's the next ship?

I'm going to suggest the trio of Ningguang's secretaries, the ones who begged the Traveler to find Ganyu during her story quest. Clearly they wanted Ganyu back to take the work load off so they could get back to fu- ahem, flirting.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Akira's shifting perspective, even though she's going through it kind of fast, is very relatable. Not even "coming to terms" with the fact that the other person is poly, but actually understanding it (even if it takes time to sink in) and your feelings changing to suit that. That kind of thing doesn't HAVE to hurt, no matter what most people think.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

The whole concept of skinship confuses and annoys me. The idea that light petting is just a normal part of close female friendships just seems made up. A cheap device for fan service, and to spice up yuri plots.

Eh, depending on usage, skinship can just be a word for simple physical affection, not necessarily something romantic or sexual. Leaning against someone, putting an arm around their shoulders for a moment, other gestures of friendly contact. It's definitely over-employed for fan service purposes, but some people are always ready to get really close into your personal space, especially when they're happy.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Yes, yes, go and experience a little what life is without being constantly hemmed in and afraid, and come back better equipped to live that and not just visit it.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

The thing is? Even if Midori has been awful to Maki since their reunion (YMMV, of course), she can be awful for sympathetic reasons.

I feel like she'd been reaching out for some happiness but then slapped her own hand back each time because she's caught up in the idea that she's not "allowed" it - because she has her child's father, because it's not okay for a woman to be with a woman. Those kinds of ideas that actually trap people in abusive relationships and in the closet, or in a whole range of other bad situations. When someone's messed up over something like that, it can make them send mixed messages and be really difficult to be with even just for normal friends, never mind someone they love but feel like they can't have. It's a horrible, self-reinforcing trap to be caught in.

I seriously doubt that Midori is acting like this toward Maki because she takes any joy out of messing with her.

Nerrin
Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Eh, it's literally the first chapter of the reboot, so no guarantee it's going to stay this serious anyway. Tone shifts, sometimes wildly. I'm reminded of Sasameki Koto (of all things, why that specifically came to mind I don't know), where the first chapter is the main character being morose and dramatic over her unrequited love, and then after that turns into a school-life comedy with the periodic dip into drama.

Nerrin
Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

It feels like Yamada is more... hmmm... "aware" of Nekozaki, shall we say, in this version. I feel like she came off pretty oblivious in the original so I'm happy with the possibility of more meaningful reciprocation.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

They killed Bambi's mom though... Also she hunted at least two venison but she only gave them like 2kg of meat, so cheap!

She gave it for free, licenses, permits, ammo, etc aren’t cheap. She could have sold some of the meat, or gave some to others as well.

The people helping butcher the meat (page 13) almost certainly got a portion as well, possibly from a quarter to half an animal as payment since they're providing expertise and facilities (and probably have the certifications to sell it officially themselves). Plus sport hunters (as opposed to subsistence hunting) can be a lot more free with the meat, and some will share it proudly among friends and acquaintances. Unless you've got the time and space to care for it all yourself, a deer hunt turns into quite a communal thing.

Nerrin
Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Ps why do most manga/anime girls have virtually no alcohol tolerance? And the ones that do are usually depicted as alcoholics

Aside from "it's girly and proper to not be a hard drinker" (and can be played for cute humor), low body weight and inexperience go a long way to make alcohol hit like a truck. Also, alcohol tolerance like lactose tolerance can differ across various populations thanks to genes that code for enzymes related to metabolizing alcohol - basically people with the different genes don't process alcohol as well. It's far from absolute, but Japanese people are one of those populations with a (relatively) high incidence of low tolerance.

As far as the second point, well, one way to build your tolerance is to drink more...

Nerrin
Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Otolaryngologists actually do not recommend cleaning the ear canals with cotton swabs. They work more like ramrod in this case, pushing stuff in more than taking it out.

Truth. In the case of water in the ear, I was advised to put a few drops of alcohol (specifically, the stuff used for first aid, not just any random drink) into the affected ear, keep head tilted for a minute, and then drain it out. The alcohol remaining inside evaporates quickly and takes the water with it. It's worked well so far.