Forum › The Ends of a Dream discussion

joined May 15, 2021

Why im doing this to me.... There is no happy ending and yet...

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Damn, there’s no happy ending with this but this story is painfully beautiful

joined Jun 11, 2016

I really like how the author chooses to write this story. Like, the first chapter was slow with just a bit of a shock (Mitsu's death) but then bam, a finger that was mysteriously cut!

Then, using the mystery of the finger, the author hooked us readers in, and we're drawn into the lives of the characters. Each new chapter give the characters more depth and make us relate/feel more about them. The mystery is still there, but it's no longer the focus of the story.

Of course, the story could be told in chronological order, but it wouldn't make as much impact as this.

joined Jan 6, 2018

I feel bad for star crossed lovers in this world. They love each other and are meant to be with one another, but can't be with each other due to certain circumstances... And have to live a life of longing and regrets...

last edited at Aug 12, 2021 1:49AM

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

I clutch my heart

MeiLangSakalam
271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

kiyoko coward af. if i were micchan ill go find somebody else cuz da was so painful. kiyoko hurting micchan so much. oh god

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

edit: I (...don't...) recommend looking up a manga named Cocoon. It's a historically informed story about a class of schoolgirls during the Battle of Okinawa IIRC, slightly yuri and really fucking depressing.

Sounds up my alley, thanks for the (non?) recommendation

grave of the fireflies is absolutely heartbreaking and beautiful. it was such a huge thing when i was younger that i forget that not everyone knows of it now. it's like schindler's list, an absolute must see for every single person. it's important to see these movies so we don't make the same mistakes, and help us grow to be better people.

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

I don’t why Micchan is so obsessed of getting Kiyoko, she’s sticking for someone so impossible. I don’t know, if I’m in the same time and situation I’d rather cut my communication with my first love if she’s too scared to be with me, I’ll just love myself and if anyone is right for me then I’ll accept and love that person as much as gave my ex.

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

Damn, there’s no happy ending with this but this story is painfully beautiful

Painfully enough, just like the movie “Snapshots” the only difference is both MC has husbands.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

edit: I (...don't...) recommend looking up a manga named Cocoon. It's a historically informed story about a class of schoolgirls during the Battle of Okinawa IIRC, slightly yuri and really fucking depressing.

grave of the fireflies is absolutely heartbreaking and beautiful. it was such a huge thing when i was younger that i forget that not everyone knows of it now. it's like schindler's list, an absolute must see for every single person. it's important to see these movies so we don't make the same mistakes, and help us grow to be better people.

It is high praise that this manga gets spoken of as a peer to Grave of the Fireflies. For those fond of these sorts of deep but sad stories, there are a lot of high-quality but relatively obscure works that can be found out there.

I probably shouldn't be reading this manga but it is too well done for me to ignore.

TotemsInTheNight
joined Apr 9, 2021

Love seeing Sudou Yumi getting her (deserved) praise for this manga. I think this would join some of the classic works about lesbian relationships in an intolerant society like Octave and Moonlight Flowers

If you want more of these angst and surreal feelings, check out her other works, including her non-yuri oneshot Midnight Blue and her other series Miyako's Night Tales.

Image_2022-10-30_015926894
joined Jun 3, 2021

the fact that Micchan is sort of rushing the sexual intimacy right before Kiyo gets married is so wrong... i'm aware that she's doing whatever she can before the inevitable but gosh... even if time is running out wouldn't she be able to tell from Kiyo's body language? how she has to grip her in those last few panels, just like how Micchan always takes the initiative in the past chapters (calling first, proposing the trip, etc.) guess its not always a good thing

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

Please can you tell me where to read it or buy it? I couldn't find it :(

Tumblr_ojkyzjibmm1u8pd1xo1_400
joined May 19, 2017

Yeah I love Grave of the Fireflies, that movie hit really hard, especially the ending with the ghosts. Ironically though, I haven't seen Schindler's List

I don’t why Micchan is so obsessed of getting Kiyoko, she’s sticking for someone so impossible. I don’t know, if I’m in the same time and situation I’d rather cut my communication with my first love if she’s too scared to be with me, I’ll just love myself and if anyone is right for me then I’ll accept and love that person as much as gave my ex.

For sure that's the right move, but giving up on someone you love can be very difficult, especially if you're not confident in yourself, or if you see that relationship as defining who you are. Seems to me Micchan has at least one of those things going on.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Smolgirl posted:

Please can you tell me where to read it or buy it? I couldn't find it :(

For some reason it doesn't show up in default search, but you may find it here on MangaDex. It's very dark and gruesome, though. Have fun.

last edited at Aug 13, 2021 9:07AM

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

^ Thanks a lot

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

Poor Micchan, what a trash first love of her. I don’t know why Kiyo-chan is so shameless showing her face and go on trips, killing the mood of telling she had sex with her fiancé and unknowingly got pregnant. Fucking slut. But well, she got what she deserves choosing an asshole husband fucking with a long time affair and while she sulking in pain of her wrong decision.

joined Sep 6, 2018

^ Thanks a lot

Yeah, that one was a sure doozy! As bleak as “All Quiet on the Western Front”.

joined Apr 6, 2021

Poor Micchan, what a trash first love of her. I don’t know why Kiyo-chan is so shameless showing her face and go on trips, killing the mood of telling she had sex with her fiancé and unknowingly got pregnant. Fucking slut. But well, she got what she deserves choosing an asshole husband fucking with a long time affair and while she sulking in pain of her wrong decision.

I mean, I don’t know if I would use the word “slut”, that seems a little exaggerated and uncalled for. Weak-willed, self hating coward would be a much more accurate description. This series is doing an amazing job portraying the challenges of homosexuality in that time period, but Kiyo still could have done more if she tried. Micchan definitely should’ve cut ties and moved on from her, because everything she said to Kiyo was nothing but the truth: she made her decision. And She has to bear with the well deserved consequences of her actions. She absolutely got what she deserved

last edited at Aug 17, 2021 10:50PM

%e2%80%8f%e2%80%8f3b41c630da1d5f54055c73f6c5e80f31%20-%20%d9%86%d8%b3%d8%ae%d8%a9
joined May 24, 2020

this chapter especially gave me big "Run Away With Me, Girl" vibes. it's so painful and bittersweet. The look of shock on Mitsue's face when she see's how obviously still in love with her Kiyoko is kills me, and the desperate plea to try out sex one time because "you aren't married yet" hurts me so much.

You can really see how Mitsue got ground down over the decades in this chapter. Compare the outburst of anger and feelings of betrayal when she finds out about the marriage in this chapter to the barely whispered "do you remember our promise" from after the divorce and you can see just how much she's changed over the years.

It's seriously heartbreaking.

edit: I guess it isn't really bittersweet, just kinda bitter now that I think about it

"Mitsue's face when she see's how obviously still in love with her Kiyoko is" huh? what a joke... even I thought the same but now I can't tell my right from my left sigh

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

https://dynasty-scans.com/system/releases/000/033/115/155.jpg

:(

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

Love is just like that. Especially if it's your first love. And I imagine living in an age where homosexuality was portrayed like it was, the thought of losing a relationship where both sides clearly love the other could seem even more hard to let go than others. It's not like Kiyo isn't totally in love with Micchan. She just doesn't know how to break free from the will of her family so she goes along with literally everything and regrets every decision she makes as a result without telling her family how wrong it is for her. I'm sure Micchan was hoping at some point she would be able to snap her out of it and think for herself for once.

Gfkenr4j2k-2
joined Aug 7, 2019

I don't follow this work since I know what Sudou Yumi writes, but this chapter was some shit in all honesty.

joined May 7, 2021

Ah, my weekly dose of depresion. I was waiting for it eagerly.

Img_20200321_011342
joined Jan 15, 2020

When Kiyoko’s mom said that she was happy that kiyoko found a nice husband and have a happy life….
I cried rivers TvT
WHY IS IT SO ANGST OMG IT HURTS BUT IT MIRRORS REALITY SO MUCH aNd I cAnT sTop rEadiNg iT.

To reply you must either login or sign up.