Forum › Unbreakable Sugar Bowl discussion

joined Aug 29, 2019

If this story is what we judge by, Yukiko is someone who knows irl the queer and lesbian scene in Japan pretty well, likely a lesbian herself.
It makes me ponder how many yuri mangaka are like her. Like in Yurihime and such magazines, anybody knows if they ever revealed numbers of how many of their authors are queer or gay women, how many are str8 women who are fans of fictional yuri, and how many are men?

Once upon a time, practically all yuri was eromanga produced by male authors for male readers. Only a few stories of mostly platonic/sisterly yuri were made by female (usually heterosexual) authors and published in magazines for women.
Things started changing when manga publishers found that there was a huge market for seriously romantic/sexual yuri in the female readership. There was a yuri boom, with new magazines like YuriHime devoting themselves exclusively to yuri. I think it was at this time that many queer, lesbian and bi women became popular yuri authors. I can't tell for sure, but I suspect that many female yuri fans were more partial to yuri that was written by women who had real-life experience of the subject.
Right now, the yuri boom is still going on and most authors are women. There are prominent male authors (like KT) but they are the minority. A good number of the women who make yuri manga today definitely lean towards lgbtq orientations, but as for an exact percentage I don't know if anyone has ever calculated it.

Well we do have at least some numbers on Yuri readership. I wouldn't be surprised if the distributions among artists and authors followed similar patterns: You create the works you'd like to see, and, to be a bit cheeky about it, isn't a love story just that much cuter if you actually find both (or all) parties involved attractive yourself? I find it a pretty reasonable assumption that straight men and gay women would create most Yuri while straight women and gay men would create most Yaoi... Or so it stands to reason.

Also, if such a basis in preference is assumed, it stands to reason that we might tend to see more "realistic" or "grounded" stories from people who basically live the experience they're writing about.

last edited at Aug 6, 2021 7:22PM

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

Funnily I didn't get grossed out by the blood or the vomit, but licking your own puke? omg that was a big no for me.
And despite of the weird tags, this was a cute story
Lesson of the day: never judge a yuri manga by its tags

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Lesson of the day: never judge a yuri manga by its tags

It's almost as if the tags were an early-warning and a search tool rather than a comprehensive replacement for a manga's entire content. :-)

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

Yes! I can't believe how much I liked this. I mean yeah I like biting (as a kink and in writing) but the tongue...Yikes but then again https://dynasty-scans.com/series/black_white had a scene where Kuro got her tongue bit super bad. I actually cringed with pain when I saw it in Black & White. This was waaaay better at least for me. It was after all what she wanted and she enjoyed it. That part about her doctor not being surprised was kinda hilarious. Cause one Asano san totally was checking up on her M and I thought that was a nice moment. I like this wholesome bdsm stuff. It's always nice to have communication and even when M (can't remember her name at the moment) asked if Asano was okay with their relationship. That was awesome! Overall this was pretty good. I did not mind the puking or finger licking. Who cares if it's her own puke the point was that the game was a foot. Also, also totally agree with all you about it being nice to have a supportive male friend. That was like so awesome man. Nor did he want to make her uncomfortable. That's so great!

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

oddly wholesome

63515893-13a8-47bc-ac30-925c9c72c86e
joined Mar 1, 2018

That was fun but now I'm slightly envious as well.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

I love how chill and mature this is and how it shows the cool, super wholesome side of the BDSM community. It's so cute, and I was smiling the whole time. Also,

"I just want a pretty older sister type to hurt me.

"It's good to have dreams."

is one of the best exchanges I've heard in a yuri. It had me making happy noises.

Love love love this story.

HonestYuriHawk
joined Apr 5, 2018

This was truly amazing! Blood kissing and BDSM I don't know what more I could ask for. I love it.

joined Aug 8, 2021

I'm into BDSM and all of that but I have gag reflexes and that puking scene was a major turn off

joined Jul 22, 2014

Sound and reasonable advice from the sadist, I mean the guy.
Its quite amusing.

joined Jan 20, 2021

Thank you Yukiko for this delicious food

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

There's the Yukiko that I know and love! I love that she does basically ultra-fluff like Futaribeya and also… this.

Same!! It's so cool she goes from fluffy town to...well...the other stuff.

Hahaha. I wonder, do you recall the alternative settings for Futaribeya? It was a bonus oneshot where Yukiko explored all the different ways the story could have gone if she tweaked a little bit the basic premises. In one of these parallel worlds, Kasumi was a QUEEN: a sadistic, dominant character who wanted her partner to be an obedient servant, a total sub. Of course, the big suspenseful question for us readers was: what would Sakurako's reaction be?

Well, we quickly found out: the two met for the first time (just like in the original manga) and it took Sakurako about thirty seconds to decide that she wanted to be Kasumi's lowly slave forever. XD

I'm guessing that, if Futaribeya had actually gone by these premises, the relationship between the two girls would have progressed until turning into something pretty close to the one Asano and Oikawa have.

Ahh, really?? I don' recall that at all!! Is it on here? I've just read so much...now I want to read that fufufu

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I know storytellers can use all sorts of techniques to tell their stories but why does manga hate male eyes?

Men are disgusting after all.

joined Aug 9, 2019

Yeah the dudes being nice here is definitely great! I want more stories/oneshots where the guys are just supportive as hell like this.

It's certainly nice. Guys in Yuri typically either don't exist or exist only as a drama device. Bloom Into You and Tamen De Gushi are about the only things I can think of off the top of my head where male characters are actual characters rather than just a plot device.

Jun in My Half of You is a fine character as well, honestly.

joined Oct 12, 2021

finger licking good

joined Dec 9, 2021

I'D GO HEAD OVER HEELS FOR HER TOO

joined Jul 8, 2021

Wow, this was so wholesome and I really relate to this.

Thumbnail_0f974c4024acb1498ed2be1bfb41d2cc3a513746
joined Jul 21, 2013

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/unbreakable_sugar_bowl#36

Asano tortured her previous slave to death, that is what it says in this page.

joined Apr 28, 2021

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/unbreakable_sugar_bowl#36

Asano tortured her previous slave to death, that is what it says in this page.

THIS IS SO OMINOUS AND SCARY HAHA

This story is sooo good. I really love it. I've never read anything like it, and I would love to see more. The scene where Chouko stuck out her tongue was so really cute. Their relationship is cute. Yukio is amazing!

To reply you must either login or sign up.