Forum › Make the Best of It: Advance or Fall Behind discussion

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

This is pretty. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

Height gap. Butch Femme. You had me at hello. Looking forward to this series.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

Ay seems like the perfect niche

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Oh, Goddess of Yuri, I LOVE THAT CHARACTER DESIGN!!!!!

I want Wu to kabedon me!

(Yes, I'm shameless)

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Awh Yiss sweet, sweet, height gap.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I am concerned. On the one hand, it is very pretty. On the other, Romeo and Juliet was not a romance, so comparing the main couple to them is not a good sign, for at least one of two distinct reasons.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I am concerned. On the one hand, it is very pretty. On the other, Romeo and Juliet was not a romance, so comparing the main couple to them is not a good sign, for at least one of two distinct reasons.

Yeah that also worries me heh

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

This is very interesting and beautiful character designs

joined Aug 21, 2017

I like the honesty of "Please pretend you didn't see it forgive me!"

last edited at Jul 15, 2021 3:28AM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Yeah that also worries me heh

the author did say "lots of fluff and a little angst" so I'll take their word for it for now

Dy
joined May 3, 2020

omg this reminds me of qi yan x jingnu from jing wei qing shang... if anyone's interested in reading it, it's baihe (chinese yuri) cnovel, fully translated into english! jwqs.carrd.co

50d13a199dce85e34f5bbb7ccb4f798c
joined Jan 4, 2021

Seems interesting enough

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I like the honesty of "Please pretend you didn't see it forgive me!"

That line gave me a small chuckle and a lot of hope for this series. :-)

joined Jul 14, 2021

Lol okay yeah that was me being liberal with the translation ^^' The chinese was something meaning like enemies-to-lovers/a couple/rival families so I spun the wheel of my vocabulary and called it a day at 'Romeo and Juliet'.

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

omg this reminds me of qi yan x jingnu from jing wei qing shang... if anyone's interested in reading it, it's baihe (chinese yuri) cnovel, fully translated into english! jwqs.carrd.co

That was my first thought as well. Really looking forward to this one

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Lol okay yeah that was me being liberal with the translation ^^' The chinese was something meaning like enemies-to-lovers/a couple/rival families so I spun the wheel of my vocabulary and called it a day at 'Romeo and Juliet'.

The term is "star-crossed lovers"

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

That's fair enough.

While they get reduced to "fated lovers from rival families" fairly often, Romeo and Juliet also involve a lot more ... less pleasant baggage. It's a story about young idiots getting people killed, including themselves, for nothing. Their deaths, at the end of the play, do a good job of exemplifying everything else: Rather than die for love, they died because they were too impatient and refused to think things through.

No. Star-crossed lovers specifically refers to a short lived love, a bright flash that quickly fades away. The phrase comes from the sight of two shooting stars crossing and then going their separate ways.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

No. Star-crossed lovers specifically refers to a short lived love, a bright flash that quickly fades away. The phrase comes from the sight of two shooting stars crossing and then going their separate ways.

Pretty sure that the term refers to lovers whose love is hindered by forces or events outside their control. You know, given how Bill coined the term to refer to Romeo and Juliet.

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

coughs blood on her

blushes

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

tuberculosis do be kinda hot tho (¬‿¬ )

Aaaaaaaaa
joined May 2, 2012

God, I'm gay.
Artwork is beautiful, story as well.
Interested in what's coming.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Okay, true. Star-crossed lovers does more or less outright state that the love is doomed, which isn't gonna be a thing if we can trust the author

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Pretty sure that the term refers to lovers whose love is hindered by forces or events outside their control. You know, given how Bill coined the term to refer to Romeo and Juliet.

This. And while R&J certainly died, thus technically ending their love, there is nothing in the text to suggest their love would have faded away. Also, I do not think it refers to two shooting stars crossing at all. It refers to being "crossed" by a star/the stars. To "Cross" in this sense is a term mostly archaic now, surviving mostly in the word "double cross"; it means to act against, thwart, like that. Meanwhile, in Shakespeare's time astrology was a very big deal. One's fate was written in the stars, and all that. "Star-crossed" meant that the stars were giving you a hard time, handing you a tough fate.

I'd say the term "star-crossed lovers" in an Asian context could powerfully refer to Tanabata / Qixi festival, and the pair who can only cross the river of stars between them once a year.

last edited at Jul 16, 2021 1:18AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

That's fair enough.

While they get reduced to "fated lovers from rival families" fairly often, Romeo and Juliet also involve a lot more ... less pleasant baggage. It's a story about young idiots getting people killed, including themselves, for nothing. Their deaths, at the end of the play, do a good job of exemplifying everything else: Rather than die for love, they died because they were too impatient and refused to think things through.

I don't see how we get from "They were idiots" to "It wasn't a romance". If we disallow anything about idiots from being romance, that cuts rather a lot out of the genre. Likewise anything with a bad ending.
While I'm not going to claim that they were patient and clever, one thing that to a modern view tends to make them seem stupider than they were is the difference between modern and medieval/renaissance feelings about the importance of place and family. The concept of exile isn't a big deal to me, but to them it was arguably as bad as a death sentence, something worth a lot of desperation. It's hard to wrap one's mind around that headspace.

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I am loving the recent influx of baihe manhua we’ve been getting on dynasty. This looks really pretty and I love a good supernatural (xianxia?) story!

To reply you must either login or sign up.